Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Hey guys/gals. I had never heard of the Witcher prior to the end of May last year, but I could not deny wondering what all the hype was about all over the net and finally decided to take the plunge. I have been stuck inside this game world since then, and am still playing. BOT

Not knowing any history of the Witcher universe, I did feel that the game is written to favour Yen, but in saying that I can absolutely agree with some of the above comments with regards to Gerald's relashaniship with Yen and I absoullty love it. When in Novigrad and meeting Triss, I instantly got a feeling of slight mistrust more so on Gerald's part, so even on my first play through it seemed very obvious who his true love was. I did go out and buy a copy of TW2, but kinda knowing what Triss had done affected how I played it. I also got hold of the books and have read quite abit.

Yen in beautifully written in TW3 and while reading the books it was so much more special in knowing what she looked like and I could perfectly imagine how she conducted herself in the book dialogs.

Playing Witcher 3 the body language and dialogs between Yen and Gerald just seem so spot on, it's not all sugapuffs and rainbows it's how relashaniship a work in the real world especially with long term lovers. To me the Triss relashaniship ship was the equivalent of a Honeymoon period in a relashaniship where everything is wonderful, but then then novelty wears off and in some instances the shine wears off and peoples real motives become apparent that maybe it was not the rite relashionship for them.

They always say, to know somebody you need to sit down and eat a bag of salt with them.......and well that takes a long time lol. I get this feeling with Yen and Gerald, they have eaten their bag of salt and they still love each other. That is why I chose the romance route I took in the game......it just felt rite.

Last edited:
I'm sure Geralt secretly loves that unicorn
This part was perfect as well, it's so... them. And the way they look at each other

I love Yennefer's eyes. They say they are cold and dispassionate, but not around Geralt and Ciri.

Her eyes just... can't lie... They express faultlesly her mood and what she feels.

And those looks she gives Geralt... :wub::wub::wub:

Hey guys/gals. I had never heard of the Witcher prior to the end of May last year, but I could not deny wondering what all the hype was about all over the net and finally decided to take the plunge. I have been stuck inside this game world since then, and am still playing. BOT

Not knowing any history of the Witcher universe, I did feel that the game is written to favour Yen, but in saying that I can absolutely agree with some of the above comments with regards to Gerald's relashaniship with Yen and I absoullty love it. When in Novigrad and meeting Triss, I instantly got a feeling of slight mistrust more so on Gerald's part, so even on my first play through it seemed very obvious who his true love was. I did go out and buy a copy of TW2, but kinda knowing what Triss had done affected how I played it. I also got hold of the books and have read quite abit.

Yen in beautifully written in TW3 and while reading the books it was so much more special in knowing what she looked like and I could perfectly imagine how she conducted herself in the book dialogs.

Playing Witcher 3 the body language and dialogs between Yen and Gerald just seem so spot on, it's not all sugapuffs and rainbows it's how relashaniship a work in the real world especially with long term lovers. To me the Triss relashaniship ship was the equivalent of a Honeymoon period in a relashaniship where everything is wonderful, but then then novelty wears off and in some instances the shine wears off and peoples real motives become apparent that maybe it was not the rite relashionship for them.

They always say, to know somebody you need to sit down and eat a bag of salt with them.......and well that takes a long time lol. I get this feeling with Yen and Gerald, they have eaten their bag of salt and they still love each other. That is why I chose the romance route I took in the game......it just felt rite.

Two things you wrote which I can really agree with. The first one being that Yen is really well written in TW3, in fact when I read the books, the game version of Yennefer just felt right in my mind, I didn't feel the need to imagine her any different (though I wonder how I would have imagined her if I haven't played the games first). (Triss, however is once again a problem for me because I just can't make the connection between Game Triss and Book Triss, never could).

And the second thing : it's exactly as you say, Triss and Geralt are in the "honeymoon part" of their relationship, that moment when everything is new and everything is wonderful. So it seems maybe a bit more powerful, magical, whatever. They never disagree because they don't have anything to disagree about yet. They just don't know each other well enough for that. On the other hand Yennefer and Geralt know each other perfectly, they are way past this stage of their relationship. So maybe they argue more, they are not always on the same page, but they always respect each other, they love each other even when they hate the way the other is acting. And their love is stronger than ever, despite all these years, despite (or thanks to?) all they have been through.

Last edited:
Lovely posting, @OrangeApple, and it matches part of what I was thinking about as I was just walking home. Picture of a real longterm relationship in dialogues and body languages, vs sugarhigh honeymoon that won't last forever.

Anyway, another thing I was thinking about is that there's a rather obvious pattern about which dialogues I :wub: and which ones give me only feelings of :ermm:. Strong and obvious correlation with if Yen likes it or not. Yeah sure, I also wrote that I like the contradictive options a lot instead of the soppy fanboy lines. Thing is, Yen seems to prefer that as well a lot.

Now that can obviously mean two things: Either Yen, a computer game character, has successfully brainwashed me ;) ; or I am more like her than I thought or at least I would maybe wish to be more like her than I thought.

Real life is not like characters in computer games. But I know that I've been like some aspects of both of these two at times. And that I despised it when I went the submissive whiny "oh, honey, protect meeee!" way at times in the past. Being equal to the partner is so much more desirable and feeling so great, in comparison to being that sub who uses emotional blackmail to get what she wants or who enters retard mode or super shy mode as soon as the partner is around. Ever been the one who would always let the partner do the entire communication i.e. when out shopping for something, while standing quietly and shy next to him? Look, there's some of Triss in you.

Well, let's not dig deeper. But the crux is that there's maybe the reason for why that silly stuff in a computer game manages to have such an impact on me until I feel physically sickened by some things. And also a reason for why waifu wars are such an explosive matter in general. Some aspects of these two game characters probably touch various baggages everyone of us carries around. So if the "other team" writes something derogative about that character that you're attuned with, it's like a personal attack on yourself.

So. I hope I get to play this evening and make progress. I need my "Start of Skellige conversation with Yennefer, just look at that body language of the two of them"-fix. I'm almost as crazy about that dialogue at the pier between funeral and the wake as I am about Gwent.

Last edited:
Two things you wrote which I can really agree with. The first one being that Yen is really well written in TW3, in fact when I read the books, the game version of Yennefer just felt right in my mind, I didn't feel the need to imagine her any different (though I wonder how I would have imagined her if I haven't played the games first). (Triss, however is once again a problem for me because I just can't make the connection between Game Triss and Book Triss, never could).

And the second thing : it's exactly as you say, Triss and Geralt are in the "honeymoon part" of their relationship, that moment when everything is new and everything is wonderful. So it seems maybe a bit more powerful, magical, whatever. They never disagree because they don't have anything to disagree about yet. They just don't know each other well enough for that. On the other hand Yennefer and Geralt know each other perfectly, they are way past this stage of their relationship. So maybe they argue more, they are not always on the same page, but they always respect each other, they love each other even when they hate the way the other is acting. And their love is stronger than ever, despite all these years, despite (or thanks to?) all they have been through.

Yes, I got the instant connection with Yen game character when I picked up the books. I remember when I started reading (Yen saves Dandilion from the tavern basement after he was abducted while trying to escape via the secret passage), they then sit down and have a meal after it's over and questions him lol. The dialogs were spot on and it just felt so Yen, like the charecter I knew from the game.

(just note I did not read the books in cronological order since getting English translations copies was abit difficult form me. I have 4 but like I sad I did not get them in the order they were published lol)

Her eyes just... can't lie... They express faultlesly her mood and what she feels

I love the part at Kaer Morhen were Geralt talks about Ciri and him ice skating. Yennefer her expression is gorgeus and so warming. Looks like the shard of metal does have feelings XDDD

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2016-01-28 om 18.37.39.png
    Schermafbeelding 2016-01-28 om 18.37.39.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I love Yennefer's eyes. They say they are cold and dispassionate, but not around Geralt and Ciri.

Her eyes just... can't lie... They express faultlesly her mood and what she feels.

And those looks she gives Geralt... :wub::wub::wub:

I love the part at Kaer Morhen were Geralt talks about Ciri and him ice skating. Yennefer her expression is gorgeus and so warming. Looks like the shard of metal does have feelings XDDD

They did such a great job with her facial expressions! So much emotion without a single word being said. Yup this game is gorgeous.

Take a special look at the last one. Those eyes... to me, it looks like she wants to sneak a little kiss on him right about now :wub:

I know I've said that before but, OMG the way they look at each other! And yes she is definitely looking at his lips like she is going to eat them in the last one :wub:

I must admit that seeing this I understand why the Triss fans are unhappy (not that I'm complaining or anything ^_^ )

I know I've said that before but, OMG the way they look at each other! And yes she is definitely looking at his lips like she is going to eat them in the last one :wub:

I must admit that seeing this I understand why the Triss fans are unhappy (not that I'm complaining or anything ^_^ )

Let's not forget that Yennefer loves biting her beloved witcher... (The Last Wish quest, Something Ends. Something Begins...)

Let's not forget that Yennefer loves biting her beloved witcher... (The Last Wish quest, Something Ends. Something Begins...)

Biting him and purring and all while Geralt is whispering some "Yen" . Such cuties :wub:

Something I have to complain about though, AGAIN. I was just listening to the audio books, the samples in which Yennefer is teaching Ciri : these are so heartwarming, so touching. Why is there nothing like that in the games, seriously?

Biting him and purring and all while Geralt is whispering some "Yen" . Such cuties :wub:

Something I have to complain about though, AGAIN. I was just listening to the audio books, the samples in which Yennefer is teaching Ciri : these are so heartwarming, so touching. Why is there nothing like that in the games, seriously?

That is the one-million dollars question my friend :(

Your guess is has good as mine but the game overall is about Geralt and his 'things'. Developers decided to cut out the most important relationship between Yennefer and Ciri *sniff*. The relationship between a mother and her child is even closer then one has with a father mostly.

Your guess is has good as mine but the game overall is about Geralt and his 'things'. Developers decided to cut out the most important relationship between Yennefer and Ciri *sniff*. The relationship between a mother and her child is even closer then one has with a father mostly.

Yes! Plus in the books, Geralt is always Geralt, never "Daddy" or "Father" or whatever. The relationship between Yen and Ciri is so special, more even I think than the one between Geralt and Ciri.
Don't get me wrong I love the father/daughter thing and I loved what they did with it in the game. But clearly it's missing something... Because yeah, it would be such a shame for the player if another character was interacting with Ciri... *sigh*

The devs gave Ciri the shaft at least twice:

1) insufficient mom/kid portrayal

2) where's Kelpie?! what an oversight
:threaten:

The devs gave Ciri the shaft at least twice:

1) insufficient mom/kid portrayal

2) where's Kelpie?! what an oversight
:threaten:

Good point. WHERE THE FUCK IS KELPIE?

Yeah, Ciri doesn't call Geralt "daddy", but she does see him as her father. In several moments of the game we see her refering to Geralt as her father white talking to other NPC's. Like that talk she had with Gretka in the woods :)

Good point. WHERE THE FUCK IS KELPIE?

Yeah, Ciri doesn't call Geralt "daddy", but she does see him as her father. In several moments of the game we see her refering to Geralt as her father white talking to other NPC's. Like that talk she had with Gretka in the woods :)

Yes, that's why I said "in the books". In the books she never referred to Geralt as her father. She does think of him that way though, but I think the fact that she actually calls Yennefer her mother is worth noting.

Take a look at this:

---------- Updated at 11:02 PM ----------

Yennefer... again with those looks :wub:

---------- Post merged on 29-01-2016 at 12:31 AM ----------

We talked so much about Yennefer in the past 2 days that is kinda of hard to find something to say... :geraltsad:

Anyone? Please?

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but.....

When Geralt and Yen are going to Ermion's (MOUSESACK!!) lab and they have to hide behind the curtains to avoid the guards, did anyone else get the impression they had a cheeky little snog while waiting for the guards to leave??

They look at each other very keenly then the camera cuts away and the curtains are moving suspiciously while the guard waffles on about bird calls. As they reappear from behind the curtains, they both adjust their clothes and Yennefer's response to Geralt saying "that was close" pretty much confirms it for me

Top Bottom