Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
from a review of TW3 game:
https://sevenflorins.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/casual-reviews-the-witcher-iii-wild-hunt/#more-753

“The best surprise, and real star of the show (and my wife is in agreement) is Yennefer. Her presence elevates almost every scene she is a part of. And while I’m not saying she is the dawn of a new age where video games portray compelling female leads that truly feel like real, possible people, she is a step in the right direction. After all, it’s not like most video games do any better with their male leads, but this was the first time a female character’s performance outshone the rest of the surrounding cast so dominantly.”

We talked so much about Yennefer in the past 2 days that is kinda of hard to find something to say...

Anyone? Please?

You already listened to the Thanedd feast part (audio sample). It's were Geralt and Yen first say 'I love you' without thinking it this time. Yennefer was quite suprised cuz she didn't expect it hehe so cute :wub:

https://sevenflorins.wordpress.com/2...hunt/#more-753

“The best surprise, and real star of the show (and my wife is in agreement) is Yennefer. Her presence elevates almost every scene she is a part of. And while I’m not saying she is the dawn of a new age where video games portray compelling female leads that truly feel like real, possible people, she is a step in the right direction. After all, it’s not like most video games do any better with their male leads, but this was the first time a female character’s performance outshone the rest of the surrounding cast so dominantly.”

Finally more people are beginning to notice this! The first time I saw Yen I knew from the start that she is not your typical sweet cup of tea, but more like strong coffee.

:pride2:

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but.....

When Geralt and Yen are going to Ermion's (MOUSESACK!!) lab and they have to hide behind the curtains to avoid the guards, did anyone else get the impression they had a cheeky little snog while waiting for the guards to leave??

They look at each other very keenly then the camera cuts away and the curtains are moving suspiciously while the guard waffles on about bird calls. As they reappear from behind the curtains, they both adjust their clothes and Yennefer's response to Geralt saying "that was close" pretty much confirms it for me

I hope that wasn't their aim when creating that scene. Doesn't make much sense for them to be making out whilst trying to stay hidden from a guard imo and takes control away.

https://sevenflorins.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/casual-reviews-the-witcher-iii-wild-hunt/#more-753

It actually gave me chills to read that, because it is exactly how I feel. Know what it reminds me of by the way? This :
"When I created Yennefer’s character I wanted Geralt to fully grow, but then I decided to make things complicated. I created a female character who refuses to be a fantasy stereotype. To please the reader." Andrzej Sapkowski

I always had a thing for "strong female characters who seem bitchy but are actually very vulnerable and all if you look closer", nothing new here for me. But Yennefer.... She is that.... and then she is so much more. My love for this character keeps growing it seems.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread but.....

When Geralt and Yen are going to Ermion's (MOUSESACK!!) lab and they have to hide behind the curtains to avoid the guards, did anyone else get the impression they had a cheeky little snog while waiting for the guards to leave??

They look at each other very keenly then the camera cuts away and the curtains are moving suspiciously while the guard waffles on about bird calls. As they reappear from behind the curtains, they both adjust their clothes and Yennefer's response to Geralt saying "that was close" pretty much confirms it for me

I also think we missed a little party there. You know...some sneaky kisses

Just take a special look on the last one. Those looks... Looks like she is about to kiss the shit out of his lips :wub:

It depends on what you like and if you like a risk you can deal with heart problemsXD OMG this whole conversation made me wanna drink strong coffee.

Hahahaha lol strong coffee bottoms up then!

Just take a special look on the last one. Those looks... Looks like she is about to kiss the shit out of his lips

Wel they haven't seen eachother for like a couple of years and knowing their history together....hmmmmmm I don't blame Geralt and Yen for giving a quick peck at one's lips XD.

It depends on what you like and if you like a risk you can deal with heart problemsXD OMG this whole conversation made me wanna drink strong coffee.:pride2:

Well, I always found Yennefer to be the proud possessor of an equally repelling and compelling personality, so the heart-straining effect seems befitting of her character.

To me, her shallow mask of dominant arrogance is just a hopeless try to hide her fragile soul

Yennefer doesn't open up to just anyone ;). She has her reasons for that. In SoD she openend up to Geralt and Geralt kinda toyed with her feelings aka leaving in the middle of the night with flowers and a letter (Maybe it had Dear friend in it aswel? hahah). Anyway that's one of the reasons in my opinion.

I mean Geralt was like the first man she openend up to.

Last edited:
To me, her shallow mask of dominant arrogance is just a hopeless try to hide her fragile soul :)

Hmm... I don't know about that. There is some degree of softness to Yennefer but she's certainly not defined by her warmth. She is the product of various psychological scars and personality traits that shape her as the cold, selfish carcass that she is for a very long time. But she struggles with these demons and, to a certain extent, manages to come out as a better person.

Last edited:
Hmm... I don't know about that. There is some degree of softness to Yennefer but she's certainly not defined by her warmth. She is the product of various psychological scars and personality traits that shape her as the cold, domineering carcass that she is for a very long time. But she struggles with these demons and, to a certain extent, manages to come out as a better person.

In a minute she's going to ask why I didn't like her, thought Ciri. No, she's too clever to ask
such a question. She'll dryly draw my attention to my grammar and ask when I started using
the past tense. And I'll tell her. I'll be just as dry as she is, I'll parody her tone of voice, let her
know that I, too, can pretend to be cold, unfeeling and indifferent, ashamed of my feelings and emotions. I'll tell her everything. I want to, I have to tell her everything. I want her to
know everything before we leave Melitele's Temple. Before we part to finally meet the one I
miss. The one she misses. The one who no doubt misses us both. I want to tell her that . . .
I'll tell her. It's enough for her to ask

Even Ciri sees that. Yennefer is not a horrible person. For example, she saved people in the progom that happened in Vergerberg, saved that woman from miscarriage in Skellige, and she never boasted about that. Just my opinion of course :)

Hmm... I don't know about that. There is some degree of softness to Yennefer but she's certainly not defined by her warmth. She is the product of various psychological scars and personality traits that shape her as the cold, selfish carcass that she is for a very long time. But she struggles with these demons and, to a certain extent, manages to come out as a better person.

But why is this necessarily a bad thing? I love that about her, I love how she was shaped by her difficult past, I love her scars and weaknesses. I love that despite it all she is still a good person, she is still trying to be better. I mean when you know about her past, the thing that is surprising about her in not that she is cold or selfish. The thing that should surprise you is that her past failed to break her, didn't crush the good heart she is so desperately trying to hide behind that mask of coldness.
And yes she can be cold, yes she can be selfish, yes she thinks that sometimes you have do to bad things for the greater good. Yes, she is not all sunshine and light. But once again why on earth should that be a bad thing. It makes me love the character even more.

Top Bottom