Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Hello guys, could you tell me a little about this?

Did Yennefer sleep with Crach an Craite? When that happened? I read that this history is on Tower of Swallow, but I realy don't know if it's just a comment inside the book, or this occurred at the same time that Geralt had a romance with Fringilla Vigo? (I didn't read this book yet) If so, why Yennefer did that?

The game says that this event occurred before Cerys born, and Crach an Craite met his wife ...

Did Yennefer sleep with Crach an Craite? When that happened? I read that this history is on Tower of Swallow, but I realy don't know if it's just a comment inside the book, or this occurred at the same time that Geralt had a romance with Fringilla Vigo? (I didn't read this book yet) If so, why Yennefer did that?

She was his lover for a while - long time ago (before she met Geralt).
The books don't go into detail on why or when exactly that happened, tho.
Crach comments on it briefly and Yen too (when they meet in ToS).

When Geralt was with Fringilla Yen was...busy with other, less pleasant things.
:(

Last edited:
When Geralt was with Fringilla Yen was...busy with other, less pleasant things.
:(

:cry:

Vilgefortz looked at the unconscious body being dragged across the floor towards the stairs that led into the dungeon. Then he looked up at Rience and Schirru.
‘There is always a risk,’ he said, ‘that one of you falls into the hands of my enemies and is interrogated. I would like to believe that you would be as strong minded as her under the screws. Yes, I would like to believe that. But I do not.’
Rience and Schirru remained silent. Vilgefortz turned again to the megascope, where an image appeared on the screen, produced by the giant crystal.
‘That’s all she located,’ he said, pointing at the screen. ‘I wanted Cirilla and she has given me the witcher. She did not have the empathic matrix of the girl, but when she became weak she gave me Geralt’s. I would not have believed she had such deep feelings for him…’

Guest 3847602

I would not have believed she had such deep feelings for him…’

Magic :)

:cry:

Vilgefortz looked at the unconscious body being dragged across the floor towards the stairs that led into the dungeon. Then he looked up at Rience and Schirru.
‘There is always a risk,’ he said, ‘that one of you falls into the hands of my enemies and is interrogated. I would like to believe that you would be as strong minded as her under the screws. Yes, I would like to believe that. But I do not.’
Rience and Schirru remained silent. Vilgefortz turned again to the megascope, where an image appeared on the screen, produced by the giant crystal.
‘That’s all she located,’ he said, pointing at the screen. ‘I wanted Cirilla and she has given me the witcher. She did not have the empathic matrix of the girl, but when she became weak she gave me Geralt’s. I would not have believed she had such deep feelings for him…’

After reading that part I came to the realization that Yennefer might actually be the strongest person in the saga. This woman went through so much shit...

I never quite understood what happened there, too poetic for my feeble brain. Some claim she intented to break up with the mage, but them he proposed and Geralts problems with commitment and hard time saying the "L" word didn't help too much either. Can someone help? Please?

By the way, I'm new here soo, hello everyone :)

Nice to know that was actually right. Thanks!!

I always kept wondering: Why would she drag him all the way to Aedd Gynvael just to dump him? Why would she use a bird to deliver the break-up note and stay in the same city? Or even forgive him for what he did in Vengerberg then?

Glad to know that what I heard was right. Thank you @xxgwxx :)

Welcome @Black-Cypher

About Shards of Ice - I really like this explanation by @Kallelinski posted a while ago

I always thought of this dilemma for Yennefer, that it is either love = Geralt or security = Istredd.

She was looking for a real relationship and not just a short affair anymore, so the obvious and rational answer to this dilemma was Istredd, as he was the only one, who could give Yennefer something of worth. A reliable, safe and fulfilled relationship without any concerns and worries for a very long time. Both being a sorcerer was also helping to understand each other better. He was also a partner, which doesn't just run away, if the relationship requires obligations towards each other. When Istredd approaches Geralt with this he is rather helpless, as Geralt realizes that he is indeed right.

Because Geralt on the other hand, well, what could he offer? If we are honest, not much. He was living a life where he could die any day. He wasn't really reliable, he has no money, is not respected in their society, even worse, he is considered an outlaw, a mutant, nonhuman just like the other scum. He is almost the exact opposite of a sorcerer. Geralt aside from being a sexy witcher is the worst option for a longer relationship and yet, Yennefer wasn't able to decide.

Similiar to Geralt, she couldn't do anything with those feelings. That was just new to her, the only thing she cared so far for was either lust or what use this relationship could offer to her, but as far as i know love or anything similiar to that was never a factor in her prior relationships. Her relationships were always cold and calculating.
If a relationship didn't had any use anymore, she got rid of it, pretty normal for all sorcerers, male and female.

But that was Yennefer before she met Geralt and now? She just couldn't decide, couldn't choose from both options, best (Istredd) against worst (Geralt), she couldn't decide and ran away like a teenager, a ~80 years old sorceress ran away like a 16yo teenager, because she couldn't face such a human problem, admitting that the best option is not always the best choice.

We know that she never went back to Istredd or even had contact with him, but she came back to Geralt showing that the worst option might be even the best choice.

Aslo this one from @ginsuchop posted on Reddit

So she pulls a kestrel out of his arm and tells him 'I'll think about it and let you know via kestrel air-mail'. She later decides on one last hump with him for old times sake.

This also confirms for her that she indeed does not love him which is what she writes in her breakup letter to Istredd - the whole "I have nothing to give you in return" bit.She wanted to hear Geralt say the 3 magic words because she wants to be with him but he couldn't at the time because of his emotional drawbacks so with sadness she sucks a second bird out of his arm and they break up, for the time being.

The shard of ice thing/ice queen thing is about Yen's insecurities and learning to accept that someone could truly love her for who she is. That's why she wants to hear Geralt say the words. Merely thinking it is not enough for her at this point. Geralt is still emotionally underdeveloped so he can't say it, but he grows up later on. At the end when Geralt walks away from the duel, you could tell he understood what she meant by shard of ice, whereas Istredd didn't.

Pretty good book, learned a lot about the characters.

Last edited:
Thank you @Gilthoniel, nice explanations. I really like the one from @ginsuchop, makes a lot of sense to me, clears the letter to the mage, the Ice Queen analogy, the parts I had the most trouble understanding. I also found this guy here in the forums:

Yep, she initially only needed 1 bird for dumping Istredd, but after Geralt couldn't say I love you out loud she sadly pulls a bird out of his arm signifying she will breakup with him as well.

Dumping Istredd was always the plan, that's why she went to Aed Gynvael for the farewell shag. His surprise proposal was a temporary wrinkle in that plan. It was never about deciding between the two, rather the whole event was a plot device to learn more about G+Y's respective insecurities and to see if Geralt could live up to the situation. That's why the climax of the story is their little heart to heart talk- melting shard of ice, queen of winter, his supposed lack of emotions and all that stuff. She just wants warmth and has baby fever while he's afraid of commitment so he lies to himself and others using the 'no emotions' excuse. The event serves as a crucible that melts away all fluff to reveal the truth- he's still an immature fuckboy who'd rather consider the passive-aggressiveness of suicide, and/or would rather duel another man instead of simply raising his game, living up to the situation, and committing to her like a grownup. She was basically committed to him, he just couldn't seal the deal. I see this in business deals all too often - people choke and can't sign on the dotted line or can't go for the jugular. She sees this so with surprise and sadness she leaves him for the moment.

All in all they both could've handled the situation better. I think that's what makes the story interesting - Sapko wanted Geralt to grow and here he is doing just that albeit at the size and speed of a snail. It's only after destiny smacks him in the head 3 times with Ciri encounters (and with Yen's urging at Belletyn) that he accepts his role as father. This does not go unnoticed by Yen who sees it as a positive sign of growth- "something more".

---------- Updated at 12:54 PM ----------

And this one on Reddit by @odinus:

When they get to Aedd Gynvael, Yen is planning on breaking up with Istredd. That is why she has the kestrel, to deliver the message. However, he proposes to her, wants to give her stability and support.
While she's thinking about it, Geralt and Istredd meet. Geralt goes back to the room and they have "the talk". She wants him to tell her that he loves her, the one word he never said. He starts acting stupid, quoting Istredd about how he's a mutant with no feelings etc. So she makes a second bird:
"Two kestrels," Geralt said quietly. "Two black kestrels, created via magic. I guess you need both." "You guess correctly," she said with difficulty. "I need both. I was wrong to think that one would suffice.
She is undecided. One word from Geralt and she would have chosen him, but his pride got in the way.
Now we get to the important part: "some gifts you can't accept unless you are able to give something in return… something equally valuable. Otherwise, such a gift will slip through your fingers, like a shard of ice melting in a closed fist. There will remain only regret, a sense of loss and guilt…"
Istredd loves her, but she can't give him her love. She loves Geralt, but he is not giving her the same gift back. That is her truth, and that is why she leaves both of them. Geralt understands it at the end, Istredd probably doesn't.

Poor Geralt, couldn't say the 3 magic words even tho he loved her :(

I always knew that the chapter wasn't about Yennefer questioning Geralt's love for her, but admitting his feelings to her and to himself, I mean, on Thanedd she told him that he said "I love you" many times, but until that point, only in his thoughts, never aloud, and I think the part were she explodes with anger towards him when he says he is a mutant uncapable of feelings and emotions confirms that. A few peolple I've seen said she was trying to force him to live on a city at the beginning of the chapter, but it really looks like she was trying to convince him that even if he settle down on a city, he will find a lot of work for Witcher.

I also don't see how the problem is selfishness from her part, I mean, she only asked him to say that he loved her and thats it, she wasn't forcing him to do anything, wasn't manipulating him or anything close to that. I also think that Geralts talk to the mage had a lot of influence in "the talk", because Geralt seemed pretty secure, until the point the mage started calling him a mutant, saying he wasn't able to feel anything and couldn't possibly love Yennefer, that was pretty low to me, and shows how insecure the mage was about that as I see.

Great explanations :) I just want to add that short stories are wrote like a fairy tales and that's why some situations are little exaggerated (like magic or the way how Yen want to broke up with Istredd by sending bird etc.)

We also can see That in the fairy tales on the end of the story they are turn points for the characters and the same situation is here. They show how Yennefer starts understanding a lot of things and they are the base for showing her transformation, so we can understand better her motivations and actions in the novel.

I must addmit when I first time was reading a Shard of Ice my first though was: 'Omg, what did you just do Yennefer!' But now ,when I am older, I found this story as sad and beautiful at the same time.

PS. Sorry, I want write that better but my english is still lacking. I hope you understand what I have in mind :)

Some words about Geralt and Yennefer. :^)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
@Ciriously. "Ciriously", I saw what you did there he he :)

Something I also believe in "A Shard of Ice" is that the mage relationship was more like a business relationship, I mean, she doesn't even know if he actually loves her, she says he wants to give her stability and support, and that's it, sounds more like a business deal to me. Just the way she treats Geralt when he gets back from Zeugl hunting highly dissaproves she is there to end up thinghs with him, Belleteyn dissaproves even more. I think it's so cute the way she talks to Ciri about Geralt while they are training in Ellander, the way Ciri loves to see them together, faking a faint, eavesdropping their heart to heart talk. Ciri right in the beggining of her time with Yen knew Geralt and Yen had deep fellings for each other, she asks what's between them right away :)

Hello there!

First post for me here on the forums, although I've been lurking here for months, and grew to know everyone of you reasonably well ;D

I've played the entire trilogy of games but have not read the books (yet - plan to do that in the future). Besides, I've read enough quotes from the books in this thread (as well as the previous one which got locked), that I actually feel I've got enough background that I can actually talk with you guys about the most awesome female character ever to appear in a video game, any time any genre: our beloved raven-haired sorceress from Aedirn.

If you're willing to accept a new member of Team Yennefer even without the mandatory book lore knowledge :blushing:, I'd like to briefly explain why I think game-Yennefer is such an incredible character even in CDPR's somewhat incomplete rendition of her:

• most beautiful and fascinating woman ever to appear in The Witcher series - without showing an inch of skin (tell that to Rita, for example: she walks around half-naked.)
  • most classy and elegant sorceress of them all, no question about that
  • complex, sometimes difficult, really clever and strong-willed - I just adore that kind of woman
  • love that kind of sarcasm, proud, subtle but never cheap or trivial. Very smart.
  • an experienced woman who has been through a lot of suffering, but still retains her charm, honesty, pride and ideals.
  • her smile lights up the entire room - kudos to CDPR for that. Awesome facial animation (not just for Yen).
  • I like how she's always very direct and honest - to the point of getting enemies because of that. I prefer people with a straight-to-your-face attitude.
  • did I say she's extremely beautiful yet? ;D

That's about it.
Not knowing the books I thought that I could give you some "fresh" perspective on Yennefer judging solely by the games. I know that for many of you this is kind of impossible, given that you've "met" her much before than I did, in the context of the books. But let me state it more clearly: game-Yennefer is amazing, no matter what Sapkowski had to write about her. Despite removing the entire maternity angle which was such a central theme in the books, there's enough of Yen in TW3 that you can still be completely smitten by her - and Geralt seems to agree with me :)
I feel that was an important note to make.

Looking forward to discuss about Lady Yennefer with every one of you, if you will.

@algernon79. Welcome to Team Yennefer, everyone who loves her is welcome :)

Yeah, Yennefer is pretty much wonderful and absolutely dazzling. One advice: Read the books if you can, she is even more amazing in the books. In the games, I loved the way her eyes express perfectly her mood, they just can't lie, the way they shine, burning like 2 violet diamonds when she is with Geralt, I don't know how CDPR did that, but it is AWESOME!

Top Bottom