Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers) - The Revival

+
Her intention was to leave Istredd, hence one kestrel. The situation got muddled when she understood Istredd's plans, him wanting to marry her, while Geralt, the man she actually loved, was, well... hard to read at that time, to put it mildly.

There is no way that you can make Yennefer look good in this situation, because that is not the point of this story. The story is meant to cast light on the emotional state of Geralt and Yennefer, a state that prevented them from being together. There were a lot of things that worked against their relationship, their myopic view of what it means to be in a relationship being one of the factors. As I said before, Yennefer needs this debacle, as a character. It's a plot device that seves as a wake up call for her later development. She swallows a bitter pill of her own making and she learns something about herself and what it means to truly love someone and be worthy of someone else's love.

I actually like this story. Not because it paints Yennefer in a great light and she's really cool in it, but because it humanizes her.
She's not under a great light at all in this story. At the end, though this isn't the meaning of the story, you end up despising her. I agree about the other things you said though. :yes

She's not under a great light at all in this story. At the end, though this isn't the meaning of the story, you end up despising her. I agree about the other things you said though. :yes

No, I agree with you. Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I meant that I like the story despite it not presenting Yennefer in a good light. I appreciate the unsavoury elements in her characterization. She's boldly written. It's what makes her memorable.

Just read a post on Reddit from a guy saying her initial intention was to leave Geralt, but during their conversation she founds out he loves her and that she is not able to choose and leaves alone. There is millions of different interpretations looks like.

t during their conversation she founds out he loves her

It doesn't make sense. After all - she demands from him that he finally says "I love you" out loud, instead of just thinking about it (Yennefer knows about Geralt's feelings because she can read his mind). It's not a revelation for her. What she realizes tho, is that she might be the one not being able to "accept this gift" and return it (Geralt's love), hence this "Queen of Ice" comparison she is making.

her initial intention was to leave Geralt

Kestrel,kestrel,kestrel. She creates one for Geralt in the last moment while the one for Istredd had been there from the beginning.

What she realizes tho, is that she might be the one not being able to "accept this gift" and return it (Geralt's love)

THANK YOU! THAT was what I was looking for, the reason why she left both of them. I realized today that the story was not about Yennefer, Geralt and Istredd, it was about Geralt and Yennefer. Poor guy is just a third wheel if you ask me. That leaves only ONE question: Why did she felt like that? That she couldn't accept Geralt's love?

This is the ONLY question I have left, please answer, you'll make someone very happy :)

Have you read A Little Sacrifice?

I did, but I didn't understand almost anything, I just started to read the books, I'm almost finishing Sword of Destiny to start Blood of Elves. I don't know much about them yet, that's why I joined the forums, to see if I can learn some more :)

---------- Updated at 12:03 PM ----------

Actually, I didn't finishid this chapter yet buddy, I'm currently in the part where he meets Essi Daven :)

I did, but I didn't understand almost anything, I just started to read the books, I'm almost finishing Sword of Destiny to start Blood of Elves. I don't know much about them yet, that's why I joined the forums, to see if I can learn some more

---------- Updated at 12:03 PM ----------

Actually, I didn't finishid this chapter yet buddy, I'm currently in the part where he meets Essi Daven

In short, your answer will more or less be in there. The story, in some regards, is a parallel to A Shard of Ice.

Her intention was to leave Istredd, hence one kestrel. The situation got muddled when she understood Istredd's plans, him wanting to marry her, while Geralt, the man she actually loved, was, well... hard to read at that time, to put it mildly.
I doubt it. She wasn't planning to leave Istred. Just think about it. If she was planning to leave why to come to the town? I mean she wasn't going to tell farewell to him in person. Or you think she came to the town already planned to leave Istred by delivering him message with the bird? Yennefer isn't that irrational, though she has some strange habits. I think it was usual visit to Istred but he spoiled all the fun with his proposal. That's why she was so sorrowful with Geralt after he returned from his contract mission. Telling him about beautifull Elf legends and dirty human world. In that evening Geralt see the bird. The bird she created after Istred proposal. And the next day after her little talk with Geralt she realise she made a mistake creating only one bird.

---------- Updated at 09:13 AM ----------

It doesn't make sense. After all - she demands from him that he finally says "I love you" out loud, instead of just thinking about it (Yennefer knows about Geralt's feelings because she can read his mind). It's not a revelation for her. What she realizes tho, is that she might be the one not being able to "accept this gift" and return it (Geralt's love), hence this "Queen of Ice" comparison she is making.
It makes sense as she can't accept love. She can be with you for sex, lust name it as you wish. But not for love. As she thinks she can't be loved because when she opens to the people they find ice inside her and leave her alone - Ice queen. She thinks she doesn't have anything in return for love. And she says this in note for both of them. There are gifts that you can't accept. And during that talk with Geralt she realize he also love her like Istred. And it's more than love, he wanted to be with her till the end of the days, world... the hell Geralt didn't say this word as it;s just word and word can't say for his emotions and wishes to stay with her, be with her, love her, hate her he wants her be his world his life. And it's much more than simple "I love you".

---------- Updated at 09:13 AM ----------

It makes sense as she can't accept love. She can be with you for sex, lust name it as you wish. But not for love. As she thinks she can't be loved because when she opens to the people they find ice inside her and leave her alone - Ice queen. She thinks she doesn't have anything in return for love. And she says this in note for both of them. There are gifts that you can't accept. And during that talk with Geralt she realize he also love her like Istred. And it's more than love, he wanted to be with her till the end of the days, world... the hell Geralt didn't say this word as it;s just word and word can't say for his emotions and wishes to stay with her, be with her, love her, hate her he wants her be his world his life. And it's much more than simple "I love you".

Yes, I agree with you about Yennefer's struggle with being in a loving relationship, but I don't think she has that much of a revelation about Geralt during their conversation. I believe she already knew he loved her, which is why she wanted him to open up and admit to it. But either way, the main idea is that the whole story is about commitment issues. We know Geralt has them, but now it becomes clear Yennefer is in an even worse state. Istredd is a plot tool that serves to reveal this and set Yennefer's characters on a new tangent.

Yes, I agree with you about Yennefer's struggle with being in a loving relationship, but I don't think she has that much of a revelation about Geralt during their conversation. I believe she already knew he loved her, which is why she wanted him to open up and admit to it. But either way, the main idea is that the whole story is about commitment issues. We know Geralt has them, but now it becomes clear Yennefer is in an even worse state. Istredd is a plot tool that serves to reveal this and set Yennefer's characters on a new tangent.
If she was aware of his deep feelings then why to admit that she made a mistake creating one bird and why send him a bird with the same note as to Istred about gift she cannot accept?

If she was aware of his deep feelings then why to admit that she made a mistake creating one bird and why send him a bird with the same note as to Istred about gift she cannot accept?
Because the first kestrel was for Istredd as she planned to leave him. Second kestrel is for Geralt the moment she realizes he loves her but she was aware she couldn't give anything in return as deep as the feelings he couldn't even express. Because she knows she couldn't too being an "ice queen". She leaves both.

Because the first kestrel was for Istredd as she planned to leave him. Second kestrel is for Geralt the moment she realizes he loves her but she was aware she couldn't give anything in return as deep as the feelings he couldn't even express. Because she knows she couldn't too being an "ice queen". She leaves both.
In other words she realize that he loves her during their conversation? Because if she knew this already she'd created 2 birds instead of one.

In other words she realize that he loves her during their conversation? Because if she knew this already she'd created 2 birds instead of one.
She knew that before, but she was convinced it was not that deep, and she asked Geralt to say it loud.

She knew he loved her but I assume she wasn't certain about what that actually meant. She loved him too, yet was unable to commit to him, so it makes sense she thought the same about him. Just like you said, she had no previous experience with love, she had no idea how to act in love. What does it even mean to be in love? How does love change the dynamics of a relationship? What are you willing to sacrifice for the one you love? Their conversation showed her that, despite Geralt's emotionally stunted nature, he was willing to give her more than she could give him. Which is why she pulls out the second kestrel. Leaving both men is the first unselfish thing she ever does in a relationship.

Last edited:
I doubt it. She wasn't planning to leave Istred. Just think about it. If she was planning to leave why to come to the town? I mean she wasn't going to tell farewell to him in person. Or you think she came to the town already planned to leave Istred by delivering him message with the bird? Yennefer isn't that irrational, though she has some strange habits. I think it was usual visit to Istred but he spoiled all the fun with his proposal. That's why she was so sorrowful with Geralt after he returned from his contract mission. Telling him about beautifull Elf legends and dirty human world. In that evening Geralt see the bird. The bird she created after Istred proposal. And the next day after her little talk with Geralt she realise she made a mistake creating only one bird.

Not really. The first kestrel has been created (and seen by Geralt) BEFORE Yennefer paid poor Cuckstredd a visit.

A movement in the corner of the room caught his eye and he looked closer.
Nailed crookedly to the wall were some deer antlers, covered in cobwebs, atop which perched a small black bird.
Turning its head sideways, the bird fixed the witcher with a yellow, unmoving stare.

"What's that, Yen? Where did it come from?"
"What?" Yennefer turned around. "Oh, that! It's a kestrel."
"A kestrel? Kestrels are speckled russet. That one's black."
"It's a magical kestrel. I made it myself."
"Why?"
"I need it for something," she replied coldly.
Geralt didn't ask any more questions, knowing that Yennefer would not answer them.
"Are you going to see Istredd tomorrow?"
She pushed back the bottles, placed her comb in a small casket and closed the leaves of the triptych mirror.
"Yes, I'm going in the morning. Why?"
"Nothing."

"I told you: I have business here in the city."
"With Istredd?"
"Yes."

As usual, Yennefer didn't lose heart over such a trifle. He felt her touch and heard her soft murmur in his ear.
As usual, he thought of the number of times she used this very practical spell. Then he thought of it no more.
As usual, it was extraordinary.
He gazed at her mouth, the corners quivering in an involuntary smile.
He knew this smile too well, more a smile of triumph than happiness.
He never asked her about it. He knew that she wouldn't have answered him.
The black kestrel, perched on the deer's antlers, flapped its wings and snapped its crooked beak.
Yennefer turned her head and sighed with great sadness.
"Yen?"
"Nothing, Geralt." She kissed him. "It's nothing."

I'm going to repeat myself: Cuckstredd was nothing but a plot tool to help both of them evolve (I don't know a better word for this - perhaps develop their character?) and realize what a mess their relationSHIT was at that point. Yennefer figured that out in Shard of Ice (which is a story about a very selfish sorceress who used to put her own interests to the very first place no matter the circumstances, despite still caring for the people involved in making her feel happy and/or loved) and hence she left both of them. Geralt understands her decision later on during/after meeting Essi Daven (A Little Sacrifice).

Cuckstredd was never mentioned again - his character was created to make ONE story very interesting and complicated.

But then again...

Top Bottom