Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I haven't noticed this thread. Seems like a lot of my posts lately, which has been about Yen, could have been posted here. I guess we can treat this thread as a collective thread for Yennefer, where we can write what we think about her.

I should start by saying that I have read all the books. I love Yennefer, in the books and in the game. I think she is a very misunderstood character by non-book readers. She might come off as cold and bitchy, and sure she bosses Geralt around a bit, but in my opinion this is just a facade and a defense in order to hide who she truly is.

My opinion of Yen, after having read the books, is that she is a very insecure and sad person, because of the tragedies that has happened to her in her life. The biggest of all, perhaps, being a hunchback, unloved and beaten as a child. And generally, sorceresses are treated quite badly by normal people, and that certainly adds to the facade she puts on. Another fact that adds to her sadness is her infertility. Yen has always wanted to be a mother, but she couldn't. And she tries desperately to reverse her condition, but can't. And during this time when she is trying to have a child, she and Geralt are living together in Vengerberg, but Geralt just ups and leaves her without explanation or goodbye. And people claim Yen treats Geralt like shit!?

My interpretation is that Yennefer thinks she doesn't believe she deserves to be loved. She doesn't believe that anyone would be able to love her for who she really is, because her parents didn't love her for who she truly is. And, therefore, she puts up this facade in order for people not to see her true self. It is only Geralt who sees through the facade, and learns to love her for who she truly is. So, I believe that the love between them is very real and great. But, fear keeps them apart for so much time. Geralt is afraid of emotions, thinking he doesn't have any, and Yen of course believes she can't be loved, despite the fact that Geralt loves her for who she is.

And many of the occasions when Geralt and Yen meet in the books are after break-ups. And, therefore it's just natural that she would behave a bit cold towards him at those occasions. But, there are many moments, for example, at the end of Lady of the Lake, where the two have nice and romantic moments.

Another thing that people criticize Yennefer for, in the games, is the fact she didn't look for Geralt after he lost his memory. But, at the time she was looking for Ciri at the command of Emperor Emhyr. She was basically a prisoner, and I doubt Emhyr would have allowed her to leave. But, when Geralt asks her why she didn't look for him she responds kind of coldly. But, that is really like her. I don't think she meant it as hurtful. Yennefer is a very proud person, she would never admit being a "prisoner" of Emhyr's. So, she kind of scolds Geralt, saying that he was with Triss. But, to me, this was just a defense mechanism in order to hide her feelings, which were that she was hurt that he had been with Triss.

Another thing before I leave. Yennefer loves Ciri, and would do anything for her. She does this in the books, she risks everything in order to find her, and is imprisoned and tortured for it. And in TW3, a lot of people criticize her necromancy, but it was necessary to find Ciri, she didn't feel good about it, but it was necessary.

Puh.... those were some thought and opinions I have of Yennefer. My favorite character, together with Ciri.

This is a great post and should be reposted in all Triss and Yennefer threads along with caption 'Must Read For Non-Book Readers'.

I mean, I understand if you don't like Yennefer because her personality is not your cup of tea, you hate brunettes, or you simply have no taste. But to say Yennefer never loved Geralt, or was just using him is to say a big fat lie and wishfully thinking no one will smell your BS. Sorry, but it stinks.

Yennefer loved Geralt and Ciri. She lost everything because of them: her house, her belongings, her position, her reputation, her health. And she never regretted taking care of Ciri in the first place, nor reuniting with Geralt. She is the kind of person you know will be there for you no matter how hard it is and no matter who your enemy is, quite literally to the very end. When Geralt was sentenced to death in TLoL and she had a chance to be pardoned, she had no doubts about joining Geralt in his fate. To me, it closes any discussion if Yennefer is worthy of being Geralt's true love. On the contrary, is Geralt worthy of her affection and loyalty? This is the question I'd ask if I didn't love them together with their flaws and strengths. They are by no means an ideal couple, but they are perfect to each other.

Thank you guys for this thread about Yen. :)

I've read all the books way before the games. For me personally Yennefer is one of the best developed characters in the books so I was really looking forward to meet her in this game and I think CD Projekt Red did great job with her (almost all hates her here?) :D I'm wondering what is your fav line or scene with Yen in the game? (and I don't mean the sexy ones)

I personally like the quest, when you are in the Avallachs laboratory and chose to wreck the place with Ciri - love what Yen did with the picture of Avallac'h :D Also the end of the quest Last Wish is beautiful.

I want to like Yennefer, so bear with me. In fact, that's why I'm on a pro-Yennefer thread; not to start trouble, but for some discussion on the character - whom I would like to like. Unfortunately, everything I've seen so far points to a simply horrible person whose relationship with Geralt is toxic at best.

*snip*

I can't say you are completely wrong, the problem here is maybe the life experience. Yen is astoundishing 101 years old, Geralt is also around that age. People who have reached that age doesn't change much anymore, they have a clear perception of what a relationship is and what they want from such one.

She isn't your little nice girl from next door and she doesn't want to, she even tells you that before the 2nd possible sex scene, she asks you bluntly and you either follow her or you decline her offer. To compare that, it is stated that Triss is much younger than her, i would assume half her age, and that is showing off, as Triss reminds me rather of a young 20-ish woman, who wants fun and all that lovey-dovey stuff.

I don't want to undermine Triss, but for me Triss is a girl, while Yen is a woman. Triss is still unsure about everything, which CDPR tried to show in the Witcher 3, while Yen has no doubt or had no doubt anymore after the Last Wish quest.

I also assume that Yen (like every other sorcerer) had several relationships over the years with countless men and women (bisexuality is really common for sorcerers and yes, even Triss tried it), so she is fed up with relationships, which aren't useful or productive or just good for eachone.

Don't get me wrong, she isn't using Geralt per se, but she knows what she wants and she just bluntly says it.

As far as i know she only used Geralt once and that was their first encounter in the books. After that i can't remember that she used him for her own benefit ever again, on the contrary both were willing to sacrifice their life for each other and Ciri. On the other hand Triss took advantage of the amnesia, just saying :)

If you can't convince Keira Metz to go to Kaer Morhen, she will attack you and die in the end. Can't remember that Yen ever wanted to kill him :)

I got recently my The World of The Witcher book and there was an interesting paragraph about Yennefer's history. I can't remember, whether this exactly was already in the books, but it was really interesting and could maybe explain some odd behaviors.
Adept's name: Yennefer
former name: Jenny

After inital testing confirmed her magical talent, the adept was admitted to Aretuza's first class. The girl comes from a pathological family - her father abused her psychically and physical, and her mother failed to support her. This rejection and abuse were likely precipitated by the deformation of the girl's spinal column and scapula (she was a hunchback), or possibly by her mixed human-elven bloodline (she is quarter elvish, and her mother a half blood).
It was undoubtedly the lingering effects of these traumatic childhood experiences that drove her to attempt suicide soon after admission to our academy. The girl tried to cut open her forearm veins and ended up inflicting serious tendon damage (healer documention attached for reference).
Despite the above, the adept was personally recommended and very highly graded by the Chancellor of our Academy, Archmistress Tissaia de Vrie. Her deformities and tendon trauma were correct with the use of higher magic during her first year, and her further education has fully vindicated the Chancellor's high opinion.
Adept Yennefer is a highly talented and determined student. Her results on subsequent exams have remained excellent."
-- Fragment of the records of the sorceress school in Aretuza on Thandd Island

I was a smidge concerned that the last wish of a Djinn was used to erase Geralt's last wish, rather than something like... peace in the north or finding Ciri, but again - I can deal with that.

Those wishes are almost never without a price, they always have some kind of side effect. So if she had wished for something like that, i could imagine that the negative aspect would be just as huge, but you are right, it would have been a try at least.

We aren't talking about djinns from Aladdin, those are monsters with no grudge to kill you in an instant and the djinn only helped Yennefer, because she could free him after that. Even though they had to fight it first.

---------- Updated at 07:33 PM ----------

Geralt is no longer the same man completely devoted to Yenn and rejective of Triss, by losing his memory and interacting with a "changed" Triss he developed Genuine feelings for her too as shown in wichter 2 and witcher 3.

My biggest problem here is that leaving another woman for Yen again isn't uncommon in the books. Sure, he never has amnesia in the books, but that doesn't mean he doesn't try other women at all, he does it even to forget Yen, but he never completely can. He even lied to Yen once to cover an affair.

The amnesia takes of course here its effect, making it possible to follow a relationship with another woman without knowing that there is a Yennefer. The closest real relationship in the books besides Yennefer was with
Fringilla Vigo, he almost forgot Yen being with Fringilla until he got information about her whereabouts and then he run off.
Sounds similiar? Yeah, it is almost the same like at the beginning of Witcher 3.

Yenn I dont know how changed she is or not since I didnt finish the game yet I just know she wants to know the last wish isnt the sole cause for her enduring and turbulent relationship with Geralt.

I would say she didn't change at all compared to the books, the amnesia had only a short effect on her.

- - Much less invested in the relationship
that much is obvious both in the past (books) and the present as she says herself in witcher 3 she didnt bother to get in contact with Geralt and just goes do "her thing" once again.

I disagree.

When Geralt asked Yennefer to help Ciri with her magic abilities in the books, she came, although Geralt left her without a goodbye. She came and helped a child, which she didn't know and never cared for before, but she did it for Geralt anyway.

There are also several remarks in the books that Yennefer helps Geralt at least financially without him knowing, so "he doesn't need to sleep under the sky", she said something like that.

About the present, well, you could argue why Geralt didn't do it either?

So far nobody corrected me, so i still assume that she was inprisoned until the start of Witcher 3. So even if she wanted to seek him, she just couldn't until now and even then she found him first at White Orchard.

Another fact is that both never seek each other, they never have this "ok, i need to see her now, because of reasons" desire. Whenever they meet, it is fate.

Even though there was something, where Yennefer rescued Dandelion and asked him about the whereabouts of Geralt, but i can't remember that part so well anymore.

- - Personality clashes with Geralt
when she does decide to be with Geralt they often clash, the typical relationship description is "Toxic" or "Turbulent" (in what way I do not know).
and like said above, feelings are not enough for a relationship, only fools and teens believe that, and our characters are in their early 80's and late 90's (maybe even over 100 dont know), opposites attract, sure, passionately so, but so what so do non opposites.

Yup, but both accepted their feelings in the end (in the books). Yennefer even declined the offer by Istredd, with whom she could lived a long domestic life without any worries or fears.

Later in the game Keira Metz leaves with Lambert, explain that :D

Unless I am getting something wrong in my information or interpretation I am going with Triss.
If witcher 3 fleshed out Yennefer more, gave a chance for closure with Triss and ability to talk/experience a fleshed out relationship with Yen that showed a different Yen than the books and what the games describe of their relationship (toxic/turbulent) I would consider Yen, but based on this summary... I dont see Yen as more than a deep love of the past that must be put aside to give Triss the chance I feel she deserves.

That's almost ironic, since most people argue that she gets way too much screentime compared to Triss, but i also agree that CDPR should have introduced Yennefer earlier and not after the quests with Triss.

Would you say that Geralt loves/d Triss in the games because of the amnesia, even if the player decided to never start a relationship with Triss in both previous games (going for Shani in TW1 and ignoring Triss in TW2)? Not talking about Witcher 3 here.

Because that would mean that the games force you into a relationship, the same way the books do, and it wouldn't really be a good argument anymore for how he changed, if it is forced on you and you never had a choice in the first place.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for this thread about Yen. :)

I've read all the books way before the games. For me personally Yennefer is one of the best developed characters in the books so I was really looking forward to meet her in this game and I think CD Projekt Red did great job with her (almost all hates her here?) :D I'm wondering what is your fav line or scene with Yen in the game? (and I don't mean the sexy ones)

I personally like the quest, when you are in the Avallachs laboratory and chose to wreck the place with Ciri - love what Yen did with the picture of Avallac'h :D Also the end of the quest Last Wish is beautiful.

Welcome to the club! Cookies and wine for you! :D

Some people dislike Yennefer because she is not your cliched love interest, who is following you around like puppy and does whatever you say her to do. She's a strong, independent woman and you have to earn her affection, not the other way around.

Favorite scenes? Too many! Riding on horses, looking at Ciri's picture and commenting how she has grown up, hugging Ciri when seeing her for the first time, making love in Kaer Morhen, drinking with the lads... Love them all.

This is a great post and should be reposted in all Triss and Yennefer threads along with caption 'Must Read For Non-Book Readers'.

Wow, thanks for the kind words :) I agree that everyone should learn more about Yen, the hate that's going around is silly and over-the-top.

I agree. Yennefer is a very nuanced character. Exactly the kind of character you want in literature, because she is so complex and interesting, and you really have to think about her to understand her.

My favorite scene with Yen is without a doubt when she sees Ciri return to Kaer Morhen. The joy and love in that scream was really emotional.

On the other hand Triss took advantage of the amnesia, just saying :)
As for Triss abusing Geralt's amnesia, Triss likely assumed Yen was dead in The Witcher 1. Geralt and Yen both die in the books, and Triss was there. Triss couldn't assume Yen was alive just because Geralt was. Was Triss going to wait forever for a body, that might not even turn up?

When it's clear after The Witcher 2 that Yen is alive, they break up immediately per Witcher 3 opening.

Adept's name: Yennefer
former name: Jenny

After inital testing confirmed her magical talent, the adept was admitted to Aretuza's first class. The girl comes from a pathological family - her father abused her psychically and physical, and her mother failed to support her. This rejection and abuse were likely precipitated by the deformation of the girl's spinal column and scapula (she was a hunchback), or possibly by her mixed human-elven bloodline (she is quarter elvish, and her mother a half blood).
It was undoubtedly the lingering effects of these traumatic childhood experiences that drove her to attempt suicide soon after admission to our academy. The girl tried to cut open her forearm veins and ended up inflicting serious tendon damage (healer documention attached for reference).
Despite the above, the adept was personally recommended and very highly graded by the Chancellor of our Academy, Archmistress Tissaia de Vrie. Her deformities and tendon trauma were correct with the use of higher magic during her first year, and her further education has fully vindicated the Chancellor's high opinion.
Adept Yennefer is a highly talented and determined student. Her results on subsequent exams have remained excellent."
-- Fragment of the records of the sorceress school in Aretuza on Thandd Island

I remember this from the books - it was something like that:

“These cuts are serious.” Tissaia de Vries’ voice. “You cut yourself deeply, accurately.”
She stared at the ceiling, numb.

“I’ll take care of you.” Tissaia patted her hair gently. “It will not be easy, but we will flatten the hump and straighten the spine, and your wrists will be cared for. We are alone, and I shall tell no one. So cry. Let it all go. Because this is the last time you will ever cry, girl. There’s nothing more pathetic than a sorceress in tears.”
-----------------

The last sentence "There’s nothing more pathetic than a sorceress in tears." repeated Yennefer to Ciri during their "magic" training. :)

The last sentence "There’s nothing more pathetic than a sorceress in tears." repeated Yennefer to Ciri during their "magic" training. :)

Which Ciri then repeated to Yennefer when she was crying when Geralt was dying. That's quite a beautiful thought, that Yen didn't cry again until the love of her life died.

Wow, thanks for the kind words I agree that everyone should learn more about Yen, the hate that's going around is silly and over-the-top.

Yeah, i don't even want to look into those threads...as it would take me probably hours to eliminate all those prejudices about her and even then people would still call her bitchy or whatever. The choice-thread was already enough "work" for me over the last 2 years.

It's probably quite a praise for CDPR, if they portrayed Yennefer so well that people don't like her, because they can't see underneath her facade.

---------- Updated at 08:07 PM ----------

As for Triss abusing Geralt's amnesia, Triss likely assumed Yen was dead in The Witcher 1. Geralt and Yen both die in the books, and Triss was there. Triss couldn't assume Yen was alive just because Geralt was. Was Triss going to wait forever for a body, that might not even turn up?

When it's clear after The Witcher 2 that Yen is alive, they break up immediately per Witcher 3 opening.

But she could bring up that she isn't the woman Geralt is thinking of. Geralt thought Triss is Yennefer from the past, but nobody corrected him, keeping him unknowing. I don't mind that they had sex, but i do mind that nobody explains anything to him.

---------- Updated at 08:20 PM ----------

In the german version the "Ciiriiiiiiiiiii" is even twice as long.

So, I just skimmed through the last chapter of Blood of Elves, the one where Yennefer is teaching Ciri. And, it is really clear that Yennefer right from the start had a loving and motherly ability in her. Yes, she is stern in regards to the teaching, but she also raises Ciri and teaches her about life, and she is really tactful and gentle in doing so. We have to consider that Ciri at this time was still a young and traumatized child, who in Yennefer found that motherly figure she never had.

I found some good quotes from the chapter I liked:

One evening, of her own initiative, unasked, casually, joyfully and embellishing a great deal, she told the enchantress about her first meeting with the witcher in Brokilon Forest, amongst the dryads who had abducted her and wanted to force her to stay and become one of them.
“Oh!” said Yennefer on listening to the story, “I’d give a lot to see that – Geralt, I mean. I’m trying to imagine the expression on his face in Brokilon, when he saw what sort of Surprise destiny had concocted for him! Because he must have had a wonderful expression when he found out who you were?”
Ciri giggled and her emerald eyes lit up devilishly.
“Oh, yes!” she snorted. “What an expression! Do you want to see? I’ll show you. Look at me!”
Yennefer burst out laughing

That laughter, thought Ciri watching swarms of black birds flying eastwards, that laughter, shared and sincere, really brought us together, her and me. We understood – both she and I – that we can laugh and talk together about him. About Geralt. Suddenly we became close, although I knew perfectly well that Geralt both brought us together and separated us, and that that’s how it would always be.
Our laughter together brought us closer to each other.
As did the events two days later. In the forest, on the hills. She was showing me how to find

After a week, Ciri had had enough. In the evening, when the enchantress returned, she went up to her without a word and hugged her hard.
Yennefer was silent. For a very long time. She did not have to speak. Her fingers, clasping the girl’s shoulders tightly, spoke for her

Yennefer used to visit Kaer Morhen. Ciri guessed why – when they spoke of the Keep – the eyes of the enchantress grew warm, lost their angry gleam and their cold, indifferent, wise depth. If the words had befitted Yennefer’s person, Ciri would have called her dreamy, lost in memories.

In a minute she’s going to ask why I didn’t like her, thought Ciri. No, she’s too clever to ask such a question. She’ll dryly draw my attention to my grammar and ask when I started using the past tense. And I’ll tell her. I’ll be just as dry as she is, I’ll parody her tone of voice, let her know that I, too, can pretend to be cold, unfeeling and indifferent, ashamed of my feelings and emotions. I’ll tell her everything. I want to, I have to tell her everything. I want her to know everything before we leave Melitele’s Temple. Before we part to finally meet the one I miss. The one she misses. The one who no doubt misses us both. I want to tell her that…
I’ll tell her. It’s enough for her to ask.
The magician turned from the window and smiled. She did not ask anything

I remember this from the books - it was something like that:

“These cuts are serious.” Tissaia de Vries’ voice. “You cut yourself deeply, accurately.”
She stared at the ceiling, numb.

“I’ll take care of you.” Tissaia patted her hair gently. “It will not be easy, but we will flatten the hump and straighten the spine, and your wrists will be cared for. We are alone, and I shall tell no one. So cry. Let it all go. Because this is the last time you will ever cry, girl. There’s nothing more pathetic than a sorceress in tears.”
-----------------

Yennefer and Tissaia's relationship is one of my favorite ones from the books. Shame what happened to de Vries, I truly liked her.

great parts from the book jockmick - I like the part when Ciri called Yennefer mom for the first time...do you know in what book it was? hmm I don't remember now...

In my country the books were released in the same years like in Poland - I've read them long time ago but still remember the mom/daughter part...

Last edited:
great parts from the book jockmick - I like the part when Ciri called Yennefer mom for the first time...do you know in what book it was? hmm I don't remember now...

Hmm, I can't remember. She does it a couple of times. There were some dream sequences and when Ciri sees Yen, being a prisoner, in the mirror in Tor Zirael, and she calls out "Mother".

The first time Yennefer calls Ciri her daughter was very emotional also. That was when she tells her to flee from Thanedd.

There's also a great moment in the books when Ciri asks Yennefer how love feels, but I can't remember where it was. Probably Blood of Elves.

---------- Updated at 07:52 PM ----------

And another favorite moment is when Ciri adopts the name Cirilla of Vengerberg, daughter of Yennefer. Effing Philippa wanted Ciri to take Eilhart as a name...

Yeah, i don't even want to look into those threads...as it would take me probably hours to eliminate all those prejudices about her and even then people would still call her bitchy or whatever. The choice-thread was already enough "work" for me over the last 2 years.

It's probably quite a praise for CDPR, if they portrayed Yennefer so well that people don't like her, because they can't see underneath her facade.

A lot of people calling Yen bitch as in the books called her people who didn't know her. :)

Btw. can you guys find any video online, which would show the last little chat with Yen and Geralt about their future in the game? :)

---------- Updated at 07:17 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 08:20 PM ----------

In the german version the "Ciiriiiiiiiiiii" is even twice as long.

I really like this scene - all important people in Geralts life are there. :)

Here I've found my fav scene - in the laboratory - lol at Yen at the end

Damn, how much I want a DLC just with all three of them having fun together, being a family and enjoying their company while kicking some asses there and there.

Btw. can you guys find any video online, which would show the last little chat with Yen and Geralt about their future in the game?

Can't, still haven't finished the game, but i am already looking forward to see that lab scene :)

Damn, how much I want a DLC just with all three of them having fun together, being a family and enjoying their company while kicking some asses there and there.

I hope that CDPR also include Yennefer/Ciri, when they acquiesce in the demands of the Triss-fans and bring out a romance dlc.

I don't necessary need it, but if they do, they better not exclude those two.

I don't buy that. Triss was there when Ciri took Geralt and Yennefer, after that no one knew what happend to those two.
So when Geralt appeared out of nowhere, Triss could have assumed that Yen is also alive. SInce Yen is her best friend and she knows about the deep bond between geralt (whom she also cares for) and Yen, Triss could have at least tried to find Yen, but she didn't do any of that. And in the WItcher 3 Triss also mentions that she took advantage of the situation.

I don't buy that. Triss was there when Ciri took Geralt and Yennefer, after that no one knew what happend to those two.
So when Geralt appeared out of nowhere, Triss could have assumed that Yen is also alive. SInce Yen is her best friend and she knows about the deep bond between geralt (whom she also cares for) and Yen, Triss could have at least tried to find Yen, but she didn't do any of that. And in the WItcher 3 Triss also mentions that she took advantage of the situation.
Aye, I don't think one can live without the other due to the last wish. Probably a big reason why Yen nearly died along with Geralt at the end of the books. So Triss should have suspected that Yen was out there and alive somewhere.

But she could bring up that she isn't the woman Geralt is thinking of. Geralt thought Triss is Yennefer from the past, but nobody corrected him, keeping him unknowing. I don't mind that they had sex, but i do mind that nobody explains anything to him.

That's something I wanted to mention as well. In the beginning of the witcher 1 geralt says to triss that he know he was in love with a sorceress. Triss could have told him that this was Yen, but she didn't.

It's been a while since I finished Witcher 1, but wasn't there some time between amnesiac Geralt being recovered and the start of the game? Triss and the others could have tried to search for Yen during this time, although it's odd they wouldn't inform Geralt of their search. Also, it's been a while but I seem to remember Yen and Triss very much not being best friends by the end of the books, due to Triss' part in the whole Lodge harming Ciri business. Yen was literally about to rip Triss apart just before the Rivia pogrom.

On this note, I'll concede that Triss, if she looked for Yen at all, probably didn't try very hard. "Hello, Ciri are you out there? You said I'd definitely see you again last we met, when I begged to sail with you. Where's Yen? Oh well, no answer, I guess Yen's dead and Geralt is mine now."

Hmm, I forgot about 'The Last Wish', but since no one was ever clear on what exactly that wish entailed, maybe Triss assumed that the genie's bond between them was nullified on the deaths of Geralt and Yen. I know a lot of players actually assumed this too, before
The whole genie business is directly addressed in a quest in The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom