YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED some closed threads.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Discussing the books or the games was not off topic. All the extremists and the duped accounts spawning were a big problem though.

But then they should be dealt with appropriately by the moderation team. You'll have these buggers on every forum on the net, it's just how things go. Labelling fans of the books extremists simply because they value the Witcher lore is taking things a tad too far, not helping and may even provoke some of those who actually enjoy said books.

Yup, no problem with discussing the books. Big problem being told how how people should play the game based on the books.

Not being funny, but both sides of the fence appeared to have muppets. All should be spanked equal amounts.

But then they should be dealt with appropriately by the moderation team. You'll have these buggers on every forum on the net, it's just how things go. Labelling fans of the books extremists simply because they value the Witcher lore is taking things a tad too far, not helping and may even provoke some of those who actually enjoy said books.

I think you misunderstood me. Not all book fans or gamers are extremists. For '' All extremists'' ... i intended on both sides not only book readers.

They should be banned those who passed the acceptable limits, regardless of why they do it. For me, books are also sacred, so I also should be banned, just in case, because I'm potentially dangerous ?

I think he meant that many of the, let's call them friendly books lore- and yen enthusiasts with their stong opinion, were also responsible for the closure of the old threads. . At least that's my observation considering these were the people that were banned regulary. And you probably didn't mean to exclude them from the thread, because otherwise it would be pretty empty.
"Causing trouble" is a more than vague term. Bringing up unpopular opinions about Yennefer "caused trouble" because some people felt personally attacked if you criticize their favorite character.
Luckily that's not how a forum usually works. As long as you don't break the forum rules mods won't ban you.

I think one of the main problems is that people have different views on the aim of these threads. Some treat them as discussion threads, others as fanthreads.
The mods should clarify what's the purpose of these threads before they re-open them. If they are indeed Fanthreads then we need another thread for a discussion about all aspects of that character and not only positive ones.
If they are discussion threads about a Witcher 3 (and books) character then it must be possible to criticize a character without having several people on your throat whenever you do so. Otherwise I don't believe that anything will change.

I think he meant that many of the, let's call them friendly books lore- and yen enthusiasts with their stong opinion, were also responsible for the closure of the old threads. . At least that's my observation considering these were the people that were banned regulary. And you probably didn't mean to exclude them from the thread, because otherwise it would be pretty empty.
"Causing trouble" is a more than vague term. Bringing up unpopular opinions about Yennefer "caused trouble" because some people felt personally attacked if you criticize their favorite character.
Luckily that's not how a forum usually works. As long as you don't break the forum rules mods won't ban you.

I think one of the main problems is that people have different views on the aim of these threads. Some treat them as discussion threads, others as fanthreads.
The mods should clarify what's the purpose of these threads before they re-open them. If they are indeed Fanthreads then we need another thread for a discussion about all aspects of that character and not only positive ones.
If they are discussion threads about a Witcher 3 (and books) character then it must be possible to criticize a character without having several people on your throat whenever you do so. Otherwise I don't believe that anything will change.

Ah, so it was all due to Yen and book fans? We should ban them all then. Job done. Safe forum for everyone with no book or Yen enthusiasts.

Ah, so it was all due to Yen and book fans? We should ban them all then. Job done. Safe forum for everyone with no book or Yen enthusiasts.
It's possible that it was the same in the Triss thread but I can't comment on that as I barely followed the thread. I spoke about my experience with the Yennefer thread.

Some, well much, of it came from carrying 'book fanaticism' too far. There is a point where every post made contains an insult. At that point, there is no more use in excluding members, but even regardless of the good intentions of some, the discussion itself needs to be put to rest.

The point is - there are/were 'certain' inflammatory situations on both threads. Generalizing by saying things like "book-fans are crazy and hate u for choosing Triss" or "Triss fans are clueless and know nothing" is very, very bad.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a "book" fan. I'm a fan of many books. It's about having "extremist" views, that your opinion is more important than someone else's. I doubt we are referring to all book fans as being the problem here. Just that there was/is a bunch of unpleasant holier than thou people who happened to shove book canon down everyone's throat. I just popped in to say that I support more moderation not less, I have not hung around on these forums because I found them a tad distasteful up till now.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a "book" fan. I'm a fan of many books. It's about having "extremist" views, that your opinion is more important than someone else's. I doubt we are referring to all book fans as being the problem here. Just that there was/is a bunch of unpleasant holier than thou people who happened to shove book canon down everyone's throat. I just popped in to say that I support more moderation not less, I have not hung around on these forums because I found them a tad distasteful up till now.

You're looking at it the wrong way. I bolded the part where you're spot on. That's it. It's about a select few people (with different opinions) clashing and believing they're correct and others should pipe down and shut their traps. It has nothing to do with books, lore or anything. It's about people not being able to agree to disagree and engage in arguments, as opposed to critiquing and structured debates. It's the same issue all forums have.

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with books, lore or anything. It's about people not being able to agree to disagree and engage in arguments, as opposed to critiquing and structured debates. It's the same issue all forums have.
Where is Radovid when we need him...
:radovidsmug:

---------- Updated at 09:33 PM ----------

There is one book extremist in witcher world too
:wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom