Your Top Movies that you feel Defined the Cyberpunk Genre.

+
I find the lack of Johnny Mnemonic highly disturbing.
My list would be this:

1.) Johnny Mnemonic
2.) Ghost in the Shell (90s)
3.) Blade Runner
4.) Altered Carbon (Season 1)
5.) Bright (Netflix, with Will Smith can't get much more Shadowrun than that.)
6.) Dredd
7.) Bubblegum Crisis

I think everyone is going to have their personal choice, but there probably will be a few overlapping options.

1. Bladerunner. This movie is likely the grandaddy of Cyberpunk. So much of the feel and aesthetic of the genre was established in this film.
2. Robocop. Cyberpunk fully embraces social satire and few movies did scathing social satire as well as Robocop.
3. Strange Days. Probably one of the lesser known films on this list, but the Brain Dance scenes draw heavy inspiration from this film.
4. The Matrix. While the later films in the trilogy took it in different directions, the original was Cyberpunk through and through.
5. Ghost in a Shell. Its been a long time since I've seen the Anime film. But while I'm fuzzy on the plot, the feel and tone of the film remain strong.

I'm interested in seeing other people's choices.

For Ghost in the Shell, you have 4 movies, 2 complete series, 4 OVAs, and the new Netflix series. Obviously not counting the recent pathetic Hollywood movie. Psycho-Pass is also a good anime. Edit: Also Appleseed.

Last edited:
Most will not have seen or heard of this classic from the 1980's, as it was a made for TV film, but check out Max Headroom: 20 minutes into the future.

Most will not have seen or heard of this classic from the 1980's, as it was a made for TV film, but check out Max Headroom: 20 minutes into the future.
Was on my list somewhere up there... classic cyberpunk at it's best. ;)

I'll point out something that wasn't listed in the thread:

Cyber City OEDO 808 (1990). Epitome of "high tech, low life". Big corporations, cyber criminals, high-tech city, man against the machine. Don't forget crazy 80s hairstyles and Billy Idol like soundtrack by Rory McFarlane.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004). Bizarrely overlooked, but continues exploration of themes from the 1995 movie.

Apart from the films already mentioned, i'd like to add the Total Recall remake with colin farell in the main role. The architecture and general feel of that world reminded me of some of the districts in Night City.

I think the first movie that really showed off the dystopian cyberpunk future that we all think of now would obviously be Blade Runner. The movies that would really solidify the genre with interfacing man and machine and dystopian world building would be things like Johnny Mnemonic, Strange Days and Ghost in the shell. Lots of other great movies that fall under the cyberpunk umbrella seem more technopunk or biopunk to me... Strange Days actually is probably more Technopunk since there are no real cybernetics involved. (I still love that movie though and probably listened to that soundtrack way too many times as a kid..)

Last edited:
For me one of them is Cherry 2000. Not the greatest, but it does have more then a few cyberpunk elements.

Matrix
Ghost in the shell anime
Blade runner original and new one
Existenz
Elysium is quite enjoyable
a scanner darkly (not strictly cyberpunk but has some themes)
Akira
Freejack (classic with a crazy cast)
Post automatically merged:

All movies already said obviously, plus the Matrix Trilogy and three movies from Neill Blomkamp, District 9, Chappie and Elysium.

Also, I want to mention the whole corpo fashism and over the top commercials/consumerism in this game really reminds me of Robocop (1987).

The megabuildings reminds me of Dredd (2012) especially the mission you fight the 6th street gang in megabuilding 6.

EDIT: More movies I forgot to add... Alita Battle Angel, Mortal Engines, I Robot, Altered Carbon: Resleeved, and the Badlands kinda reminds of Mad Max especially when I'm driving the Quadra "Cthulhu".

Ah you had already mentioned "Altered Carbon: Resleeved". Sorry, my bad!
District 9 and chappie - YES!

Upgrade (2018)
Anon (2018)
Impostor (2001) added only because I just finished reading Cyberpunk Revival and for me it somehow fits :)
Universal Soldier (1992)

Blade Runner.
This is literally the father of Cyberpunk.

Blade Runner 2049
This... boy... my favorite. My bestest. Probably is the best of them all. Villeneuve 👏👏👏

Ghost in the Shell

Oh...

Westworld (Season 3)
You'll find all things Cyberpunk in the third season. From the look of the film, the story, the characters. Hell, when I first saw Cyberpunk cinematic trailer, I thought it was Aaron Paul. Dang, his face, his voice...

Top Bottom