Combat Thread - General

+
Balance applies to all games.
If youre going to make one option substantially worse as a replacement mechanic theres no point of it even existing
And the option to use character skill based RPG mechanics for combat is worse then player based FPS mechanics how?

So I'm hoping that CDPR will go above and beyond creating unique weapons befitting a cyberpunk setting. What unique guns would you like to see implemented?
I just finished watching Altered Carbon last night, and thought the pistol that magnetically retrieves its bullet (or the Phillips Squeeze Gun if you're a fan of the book) would be amazing in the game. Of course a Dredd's Lawgiver or something similar would be an outstanding addition also.

I went through the trailer frame by frame and found quite a few neat looking lead pushers:

First we have what I'm predicting to be the most OP gun in the game, the Toy VR Gun!

A simple looking pistol which belongs to who I assume is Jackie:

The Holstered Revolver owned by the Cowboy in the bar:

Some of the pistols from the trailer:

Double Barrel Shotgun held by the Hillbilly:

The Militech Rifle:

I don't know what kind of gun this is, but it seems to be a shotgun based on the punch it packed:

The Stash in the Cab:

A Trauma team gun which I assume is some kind of SMG:

An AK-47/MP5 looking rifle held by Lizzy Wizzy's body guards:

No idea what kind of gun this is, but held by the guy watching those people play basketball:

Finally the massive Militech machine gun:

The same Machine gun seems to used as a mounted turret as well:

What I'm hoping for though is that the weapons actually feel like they pack a punch, too many guns in FPS games nowadays feel so weak.

And the option to use character skill based RPG mechanics for combat is worse then player based FPS mechanics how?

It's not, of course. It's just different.

There are some basic mechanics already present in the E3 build for what we're asking in the "enemyseeking" bullets of the smart guns. Tweaking that mechanism for an umbrella toggle for all guns (i.e. ironsights/zoom-in-aim can be replaced with press-and-hold target lock), or tweaking those smart guns to work as per character ability and be available from the start should be plenty consistent and not "worse" than anything else there.

Last edited:
@Mobilemux
Some of those remind me of things I've seen in the Chromebooks, I'll try to see if I can find their names later today. I know Sard (or was it TheMadQueen on YT?) told us some of the names for these.

This post is directed at no one in particular but several recent comments.

I'm more then happy to discuss anything with anyone anytime. But if your post is basically "I'm right, convince me I'm not." I'm not going to waste everyone's time (yours and mine included) trying to. Make a point and we'll discuss it. Otherwise don't expect a reply.

But what if I am right?

Yeah a toggled aimbot. I really see THAT going over well :unsure::unsure:

Use your imagination. I remember some older shooters had an on/off options menu toggle for aim-assist, some newer games have had toggles for iron sights yes/no. The aimbot is already there in the game with the smart guns, the question is how it could be used in a more systemically (skills and stats) engaging and interesting manner than automatic seek-and-hit-bullet mechanic.

Last edited:
Well, if one option was for strict rpg style firing with stats, skills, bonuses, and restrictions applied, for both target and shooter, that would appeal to some people. The other option would be twitch based and rely on a player's mouse skill.

Use your imagination. I remember some older shooters had an on/off options menu toggle for aim-assist, some newer games have had toggles for iron sights yes/no. The aimbot is already there in the game with the smart guns, the question is how it could be used in a more systemically (skills and stats) engaging and interesting manner than automatic seek-and-hit-bullet mechanic.
They already said it would be a class of weapons. Applying it to all the other guns too would force them to have to rework all the balancing with that in mind. It makes smart guns as a weapon class irrelevant.

And what games had toggle iron sights? And ive literally seen ONE pc shooter with toggled aim assist (that wasnt restricted to controllers) and that was also the laziest port ever made in Bulletstorm.

They already said it would be a class of weapons. Applying it to all the other guns too would force them to have to rework all the balancing with that in mind. It makes smart guns as a weapon class irrelevant.

And what games had toggle iron sights? And ive literally seen ONE pc shooter with toggled aim assist (that wasnt restricted to controllers) and that was also the laziest port ever made in Bulletstorm.
I'm not sure you understand the difference between aim assist and homing bullets.

Top Bottom