New video: What is a witcher?

+
Corylea said:
I really hate the new flashback art style. The rest of TW2 is completely gorgeous, so I'm not sure why they decided to make the flashback art so ugly. It doesn't seem to me as if it fits in with the beauty of the rest of the game.

You're not alone. I hate them too.
I'm just going to skip them when they come up (I do that anyway with the existing TW2 flashbacks).

Corylea said:
I really hate the new flashback art style. The rest of TW2 is completely gorgeous, so I'm not sure why they decided to make the flashback art so ugly. It doesn't seem to me as if it fits in with the beauty of the rest of the game.
Why so modest? I'll say IT LOOKS LIKE A GODSDAMN JAPANESE CARTOON! *pukes*

It doesn't resemble anime in the least. It's a deliberately crude and bold style, to me reminiscent of early European woodcuts.

slimgrin said:
It doesn't resemble anime in the least. It's a deliberately crude and bold style, to me reminiscent of early European woodcuts.

http://www.china360online.org/teachers/wp-content/themes/china360online_/images/woodcuts/fivecat/roar.jpg

Nice find, clear resemblance there.

MM360 said:
What's wrong with Anime? ;(

Anime is loved but cartoons? meh..
but I'm with secondchildren, I don't mind them they are kinda funky looks different and in such cases different can be good.
The paintings in TW1 were really beautiful, but moving images do give a mini movie feeling

slimgrin said:

(snip)

You hit the nail on the head. Seems too many of us don't know woodcuts from cartoons.

I've always thought these were probably meant to be woodcuts. IRL it's 15th C., but even the Northern Kingdoms are more advanced than Europe of that era.

Even the anatomy drawings are not out of place at all:

Aesthetic Anatomy (from the Dundee PRN blog)

slimgrin said:

I dont think the "woodcut" part is what rub people the wrong way... rather the comic/parody implementation of it. That "modern" aspect you mentioned at some point. THAT I find to be striking in ways that dont fit a "more traditional" scene like "let's immerse ourselves in the this time of legends, where witchers lived and all..."

Example: You have two diferent and very graphic scenes of "witcher vivisection" that I find totally alien to the style of this game, and doesnt do a good job in aproaching the story (again, IMHO). This is not a "comic". It would be perfect if this would be "The Darkness", which comes from that medium, or a gangster story a la Tarantino... This is not the case. Even the Dragon Age 2 cut-outs feel more medieval and true to the source than this...

JackintheGreen said:
I dont think the "woodcut" part is what rub people the wrong way... rather the comic/parody implementation of it. That "modern" aspect you mentioned at some point. THAT I find to be striking in ways that dont fit a "more traditional" scene like "let's immerse ourselves in the this time of legends, where witchers lived and all..."

Example: You have two diferent and very graphic scenes of "witcher vivisection" that I find totally alien to the style of this game, and doesnt do a good job in aproaching the story (again, IMHO). This is not a "comic". It would be perfect if this would be "The Darkness", which comes from that medium, or a gangster story a la Tarantino... This is not the case. Even the Dragon Age 2 cut-outs feel more medieval and true to the source than this...

This somehow odd and "not fitting" and "alien" style shows the oddity of the Witcher himself, as an "alien", weird, magical creature. He's neither monster nor human but by no means a typical, medieval townsman.

Personally I do not mind this style that much, but if it was changed for more classic style in the vein of Witcher 1 art cinematics, I would be glad.

^^^Thats not what I mean, Greg... :) I understand what the scene is trying to portray... I mean "alien" as in "not belonging" to a particular art style.
I personally find modern comics and medieval fantasy dont match... Of course people and artists can argue against that, its all personal taste, after all...

Have you forgot that mages used to vivisect for studies? Do you remember Agnes de Glanville's creepy crypt? Do you remember Master Irion aka Stregobor's plan?
Leonardo da Vinci also used it for his anatomy studies.

And above all:
what's all this hatred for cartoons, anime and comics?

JackintheGreen said:
^^^Thats not what I mean, Greg... :) I understand what the scene is trying to portray... I mean "alien" as in "not belonging" to a particular art style.
I personally find modern comics and medieval fantasy dont match...

But, that's actually what I meant :) That Witcher's oddity shows even in the art styles not matching :)

@ Sec
Mhmm.. I never said "I" HATED it... some other folks did. And I find the vivisection part clever (the voice over part) It's just the comic style of it I dont like... But Im not gonna slit my wrists over this... I do appreciate the craftmanship, I said so somewhere else...

I just dont think THAT particular style matches medieval fantasy... (I already said that..) thats all... :)

secondchildren said:
Medieval illustrations

(snipped for space)

Pretty different to TW1 art style.

You got a big advantage over us, living right in the wellspring of art history

But you're right. This is the period when that kind of illustration became popular. Not to put too fine a point on it, it is medieval comic books.

The aquarelles from TW1 are gorgeous. We're all imprinted on them, we love them, and we think anything else doesn't look so fitting because of that. But medieval popular prints look a lot less like that, and a lot more like the rough woodcut art of TW2.

Gorgeous art style! It allows to graphically contrast the beauty of gameplay with ugliness of war, superstition and ignorance.

Top Bottom