Interviews and Articles on TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you missed this particular article.
http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/...unt-hands-off-impressions/#comment-1248122116

I'm EXTREMELY excited for this game, but this article said that it'll have a definitive ending (we won't be able to go back and explore the world after completeing the main story). I really hope that's not the case. I hate it when games do that. It's rather cruel. Especially when the world will be as large and beautiful as The Witcher 3's will be.

I think you missed this particular article.
http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/...unt-hands-off-impressions/#comment-1248122116

I'm EXTREMELY excited for this game, but this article said that it'll have a definitive ending (we won't be able to go back and explore the world after completeing the main story). I really hope that's not the case. I hate it when games do that. It's rather cruel. Especially when the world will be as large and beautiful as The Witcher 3's will be.

The article you've linked has been posted on this thread a few pages back. It seems to be based on the E3 or gamescom 2013 presentation of the game. Since then, the devs have said that they're still thinking about either letting the player continue the game after the end, with perhaps some quests becoming unavailable due to that. If they do choose to end the game when the main quest is finished, then they will give the player a warning before they go beyond the point of no return so they can finish up any side quests etc.

can someone post a working link?

The link is working fine for me. I've copy/pasted the article inside the spoiler tag below, though there is no new information:

The Witcher 3 is going to be one of the most compelling reasons to pick up a next-gen console (or upgrade that PC) this year. This is a game that is promising so much, and after having a brief chat with Michal Platkow-Gilewski, CD Projekt RED's head of marketing, and watching a live demo of the game, I'm even more confident that this will be the next-gen RPG that will really kick the PS4 and Xbox One off for a lot of people.

Rooted heavily in Slavic mythology, The Witcher novels by Andrzej Sapkowski are only inspiration for The Witcher games. In other words, CD Projekt RED did not go out with the intention on creating a Lord of the Rings film-style precise emulation of the narrative of any specific book. I haven't read the books personally so I'm not sure how close CD Projekt RED's more broad vision for The Witcher's leading man Geralt is to Sapowski's, but Platkow-Gilewski is confident that over the course of the 12 years that the developers have been working on the franchise, they've spent enough time with the literature to really understand it and the fans of the books are also fans of the games.

"This is who we are" Platkow-Gilewski said. "We don't want to make things silly to sell more copies; this is a mature, story-driven game. We are always evolving what we're doing, but we started this 12 years ago that by now we really understand the books and world."

That mature, story-driven nature of The Witcher has been controversial in the past, with high level sex scenes and moments of extreme, brutal violence preventing the previous games from hitting quite the same sales highs of the likes of Skyrim. Would the higher cost of development in The Witcher 3, and the increased need to sell to a mass market, mean that the developer would be toning back some of the edgier elements?

Not so, Platkow-Gilweski said. "The sex and violence will still be a part of the story. Our goal is, if anything, to integrate it further. We'll be better introducing it into the game, it will play a more important role and it will be more natural."

The mythology of The Witcher

Though the games are only "inspired by" the books, the rich basis in mythology written into the novels remains the core behind the Witcher game narratives. The hint for this game is in the title: The "Wild Hunt" actually refers to an European myth involving a mass of spirits coming together for a violent and destructive hunt (you can read more about the Wild Hunt at Wikipedia). And that should be all the hint you need to know about the central theme to this game; Wild Hunt is clearly themed around tensions between human development and the natural world.

In the live gameplay demo I saw this rich mythology and theme in action where Geralt fought against a creature based on the Slavic Leshy. In one particular instance that was shown in the demo, Geralt entered a small village looking for some information for the main quest. On obtaining that information he could have left the village to continue on with the main story, but a side quest pops up - murder's been done in the village and the people think they're haunted by a malicious spirit (this being the Leshy).

Geralt, should he decide to help (and he does in our demo) is provided with two alternative ways to deal with the problem, presented by different, opposing villagers. Both options have a certain degree of moral ambiguity to them, but after choosing one, playing through an investigation sequence (where Geralt follows a series of clues to three totems that need to be destroyed), the monster emerges and the big fight happens.

Then Geralt returns to the village to find that the villager he sided with took the opportunity of the disruption created by the monster to slaughter his rival and his allies. So much for picking sides.

This side quest felt so seamless within the game's world that I needed to remind myself that it was entirely optional. For the developers at CD Projekt RED to invest such significant resources into something entirely optional demonstrates sheer confidence from the team; confidence that people won't ignore the side quests, and confidence that the franchise's fan base are more interested in engaging in the world than simply running through it.

My only concern is the consistency in the game's vision itself. Platkow-Gilewski mentioned another monster - a mermaid-style creature that was also capable of flight. It's one thing to take elements from different mythologies and pull them together, but when you do that you also risk a losing the cohesive vision of the original mythology. I don't really doubt that CD Projekt RED has been careful to avoid that from happening, and of course in the previous two games the development team did a great job balancing out the mythology and their own development ideas, but it will remain a slight concern I have until I see more of the game.

What's next for CD Projekt RED?

We're promised about 50 hours for the main narrative and then another 50 hours worth of side questing. Given that a major part of the experience will also be simple exploration, I suspect the final game will be even longer in terms of sheer time should you decide you just have to see everything it has to offer.

And, frankly, I think a lot of you will indeed decided that you want to see everything The Witcher 3 has to offer.

It's almost unfortunate that after 12 years this is going to be the last Witcher game for quite some time. Geralt's a good character and CD Projekt RED need not have finished with him, but in terms of creative ideas it does seem that the team is ready to move on. After, at the end of the interview and session, I joked that it must be difficult to let the character go after spending so many years working on him.

"It's not like it's a marriage" Platkow-Gilewski replied.

Following The Witcher 3, CD Projekt RED's next game is a cyberpunk-themed one. I'm sure it's going to be brilliant.

If that is true then it does confirm one thing, TW3 is one heck of a heavy game to run and there is a decent difference between the console versions.

I actually don't get what the drama over this is all about. This was announced early on, it was one of the first bits of information we get about the game, it's not a recent change or anything.

Anyway, I have a feeling the idea of the system is being misinterpreted. This is essentially the same mechanic as the one used in TW2. You meditate and pick which potions you wish to consume (the amount of potions you can take is limited by toxicity, as it always has been, so you can't take all the potions you've created, probably 2-3, Witcher 2 allowed for 4 not very toxic potions at most). The difference is that instead of the effect being activated immediately, you can choose when the potions start to work. This is done in order to avoid situations like the boss fight at the end of chapter 2, where you knew what you were going to face once you enter the mist, you took your potions and then... you had 15-20 minutes of body switching and by the time the actual boss fight started, the effects of your potions had worn off.

The reason why this is a better system than drinking potions on the fly is that if you enter a cave expecting to find vampires but it turns out that you're actually facing a giant, then that 'Black Blood' potion that makes your blood poisonous is now wasted and useless, and it takes up toxicity that could have been used for a potion that gives you a bigger hp pool so that you can take a hit from the massive enemy. It means you'd better make sure you *know* what you're getting yourself into.

As for drinking the potion on Monday and activating it on Sunday, I assume that there's a longer timer on them that gives you a certain period of time when you can use the effect, like it was in TW1, but the actual effect lasts only a few minutes, like it did in TW2. Yes, the whole metabolism allowing you to activate an effect when you need it is bullshit in terms of lore, since Geralt clearly can't control that in the books (as shown in the part right before the striga fight in 'The Last Wish' book, where Geralt has to be careful not to show Ostrit his superhuman speed caused by a potion), but it allows the system we had in TW2, which required more research and preparation before a fight, to work better when the battle you're preparing for might not happen soon enough after you've consumed your potions.

A good example would be the Leshen fight. You don't want to waste the potion effect while destroying the totems, you need when you actually face the Leshen. The new system allows you to do just that. Anyway, I hope that clears things up a bit.

Well thank you mate for clearing things up though from that article and little knowledge we have for now most of the things we can only speculate but almost all of what you said I presumed too.

Now there might be few problems with this system.For example I completely forgot about toxicity and that's where might be a problem.If devs decide that potions once taken doesn't add to toxicity at all but instead once it's activated through Geralt talking to his belly that might be too much simplified for my taste.Also if and epmhasize is here on ifit turns out that you can drink let's say before entering the cave all potions from your inventory (and you might have 8-9 or even more different kinds of them) and it won't add to your toxicity until you decide to launch them by using potion.exe in your belly and further more being able to store more than 5 or more on you belly's hard drive for good and use them 3 weeks later would be let's just say enormously stupid and immersion breaking and I think and hope also enourmously unlikely but who knows...

What would be best is if someone from devs could break silence and just explain alchemy a little bit I'm sure we would all be very gratefull...not everything of course but just explain basics.

Also why we wouldn't be able to drink potion in th middle of the fight because you would still either have to carry all kinds of potions with you or to make one based on your opservations of current site but the catch would be that drinking it would trigger 4-5 sec. long animation during one you would either have to make sure no one is around you or take some damage if you are cornerned and also it might take additional 4-5 sec before potion starts working if for example you are not very skilled in alchemy and also this all post activation potion thing could be saved as perk for those who invest a lot of their time and effort into alchemy so that they would be rewarded with more op alchemy ability but limit it to maybe 3-4 potions you can store on you belly's shelves and it would add toxity but if you use some other perk which decreses amount of toxity (it would also be some high ranking alchemy perk) it wouldn't hurt you that much and also put limitation of maybe 1 or 2 in game days or 30 real min. or whatever cause you are already in late game and you should be OP but not from the begining.

Also you could be limited to only 3 slots for potions based on your armor as it was I believe in Witcher 1 and with crafting better armors or adding better parts which could hold more potions to already existing armor you could expand that armor for 2-3 more slots..

Last edited:
@Pajkes
"also they could keep this post activating potions thingy which (if it is only way to use potions is incredibly dumbed down and stupid thing to do and even Skyrim in that regard is less dumbed down which is RED ALERT RED ALERT)"

How is Skyrim less dumbed down when there you can take whatever you want in combat and in TW3 only 3 or 4 potions at most? your posts seem to be a bit exaggerated on the "CDP RED are dumbing down the witcher and ruining it" accusations imo.

"Also why we wouldn't be able to drink potion in th middle of the fight because you would still either have to carry all kinds of potions with you or to make one based on your opservations of current site but the catch would be that drinking it would trigger 4-5 sec. long animation during one you would either have to make sure no one is around you "

This would put the "challenge" in making the potions with the ingredients you have and not in investigating which ones you should take, its completely useless unless TW3 has so very little ingredients that you can only make a few potions for every single you want to fight, which of course is almost impossible to assure and balance, being this a vast open-world rpg.

Also, about the lore regarding potions use, I have a vague memory of Geralt doing something like retaining potion effects in the books, i could be wrong but i do remember there was something aprox to that i think.

He either retained the potions effects for later or took another potion before to slow down his metabolism.

Last edited:
Last edited:
@Pajkes
"also they could keep this post activating potions thingy which (if it is only way to use potions is incredibly dumbed down and stupid thing to do and even Skyrim in that regard is less dumbed down which is RED ALERT RED ALERT)"

How is Skyrim less dumbed down when there you can take whatever you want in combat and in TW3 only 3 or 4 potions at most? your posts seem to be a bit exaggerated on the "CDP RED are dumbing down the witcher and ruining it" accusations imo.

"Also why we wouldn't be able to drink potion in th middle of the fight because you would still either have to carry all kinds of potions with you or to make one based on your opservations of current site but the catch would be that drinking it would trigger 4-5 sec. long animation during one you would either have to make sure no one is around you "

This would put the "challenge" in making the potions with the ingredients you have and not in investigating which ones you should take, its completely useless unless TW3 has so very little ingredients that you can only make a few potions for every single you want to fight, which of course is almost impossible to assure and balance, being this a vast open-world rpg.

Also, about the lore regarding potions use, I have a vague memory of Geralt doing something like retaining potion effects in the books, i could be wrong but i do remember there was something aprox to that i think.

He either retained the potions effects for later or took another potion before to slow down his metabolism.

Well what i meant by Skyrim being actually less dumbed down in that segment (and I have to be honest and since we don't know for sure how this system is going to work I was quick to jump to conclusions and I apologize but still a lot of questions remain unanswered) is that once you drink your potion it's effect is not postponed by your allmighty tummy but instead it is activated right away.Everything else about Skyrim's alchemy system is as shallow as rest of that game but at least I can't store dozens of potions in my powerfull belly and then activate them weeks later (also I'm not sure but there is limit of how many different potions you can drink at once in Skyrim but I'm not sure).That's only part of Skyrim I for now find better than Witcher 3 based on little info we got so far.

Also you misunderstood me cause it seems to me that you think that I proposed that Geralt should be able to make potions in the middle of combat...lol no that would be really silly and dumbed down IMO.Of course that you will have to meditate in order to make them,but what I proposed is to be able to consume them during fight like you could in Witcher 1 and you could if I remember correctly to quick access them based on the number of slots and holders you had on your jacket-armor which could introduce more crafting options for making your armor more suitable for fights by increasing amount of holders you could have for potions from let's say 3 to 5.So for example you could only use potions in the the fight only and only if your armor has upgrades (in this case some potions holders or satchels) and it would be max. 5 for example and also once you use the potion and you would have quick access either icon or shortuct or both you won't be able to add new one from inventory which would make sense cause you are in the middle of fight and also would force you to make sure that potions you have are the right ones which again you would do based on your observation of surroundings,interviewing other people about threats you are facing etc. And only those with best crafting will have 5 potions on their disposal and also you can keep whole belly brain thingy as perk for those who invest lot of time and points into alchemy.

Those are just my ideas though....

Last edited:
Well what i meant by Skyrim being actually less dumbed down in that segment (and I have to be honest and since we don't know for sure how this system is going to work I was quick to jump to conclusions and I apologize but still a lot of questions remain unanswered) is that once you drink your potion it's effect is not postponed by your allmighty tummy but instead it is activated right away.Everything else about Skyrim's alchemy system is as shallow as rest of that game but at least I can't store dozens of potions in my powerfull belly and then activate them weeks later (also I'm not sure but there is limit of how many different potions you can drink at once in Skyrim but I'm not sure).That's only part of Skyrim I for now find better than Witcher 3 based on little info we got so far.

Also you misunderstood me cause it seems to me that you think that I proposed that Geralt should be able to make potions in the middle of combat...lol no that would be really silly and dumbed down IMO.Of course that you will have to meditate in order to make them,but what I proposed is to be able to consume them during fight like you could in Witcher 1 and you could if I remember correctly to quick access them based on the number of slots and holders you had on your jacket-armor which could introduce more crafting options for making your armor more suitable for fights by increasing amount of holders you could have for potions from let's say 3 to 5.So for example you could only use potions in the the fight only and only if your armor has upgrades (in this case some potions holders or satchels) and it would be max. 5 for example and also once you use the potion and you would have quick access either icon or ahortuct or both you won't be able to add new one from inventory which would make sense cause you are in the middle of fight and also would force you to make sure that potions you have are the right ones which again you would do based on your observation of surroundings,interviewing other people about threats you are facing etc. And only those with best crafting will have 5 potions on their disposal and also you can keep whole belly brain thingy as perk for those who invest lot of time and points into alchemy.

Those are just my ideas though....

Oh ok then yeah that constrained section of the system could be called more dumbed down perhaps, but its all about the context, and obviously you already know that TW games are far less dumbed down than bethesda's games. That in TW3 you can delay potion effects, combined with not being able to take all of them during combat, is a far less dumbed down end state of gameplay than taking whatever you want whenever you want it and get instant effects, so its all deeply interconnected, all mechanics are counters to another mechanic, to another capability.

Actually i didnt meant what you thought i meant xD. I know you dont suggest we should craft the potion in mid battle, what i was trying to say with "this would put the "challenge" in making the potions with the ingredients you have and not in investigating which ones you should take" was that according to your previous suggestion, if you are able to carry all potions and drink during combat, then the only preparation limit you have is what potions you crafted before the battle, which as i explained, wouldnt be a challenge at all since materials for crafting them weill probably be abundant, but dont worry about it.

Your current idea is a good one to me as well, because it achieves all of the objectives of the one CDPRED are initially proposing, though it would be kind of weird to apply and balance, first of all, the lore says geralt takes the potions before the battle and they take some time to make effect, so drinking while in the battle is a bit weird, then you have the limit in the inventory: if i cant put potions in my quickslots during battle, why would i be able to perhaps, select a different sword or weapon, or equip a new trap or dagger, and if you immediately suggest you shouldnt be able to do those things either then the conversation goes all over the place regarding most combat useable items.

Also remember that RED is very likely going to give each potion a different level of toxicity to limit if you can take 3 or 4 etc, which means that in your case, this would be abandoned for the quickslots mechanic, thus giving the responsability of limiting amount of potions to armors, and obviously, you would still need the toxicity mechanic with your idea so the player cant just consume 10 potions from its whole inventory in non combat situations and then go to fight later with their effects, so why complicate things then, lets just use toxicity to limit combat and non-combat usage and leave quickslots out of that as they dont serve a purpose.
If you go into combat with your 3 pots in the quickslots, but they are too powerful, you shouldnt be able to just consume ANY combination of 3 potions at the same time, so how do you limit which ones you can consume together? with toxicity, then what are we using the quickslots for? why over-complicate things if toxicity is going to be the final limitation that decides which potions you can take and how many?.
Plus you said you didnt wanted the game dumbed down, i agree, and your idea makes preparation far less important, and diminishes the value of taking risks, thus making the game simply more easy, with your idea you just have to decide which potions to take with you for quick use, with RED's, you actually take them before, taking the risk, and they're gone, if you messed up the investigation you wasted them, and not only that, now you cant take any more for a next fight without resting or meditating or whatever. While with your idea if we make a mistake, we just dont take them and we still have them for later, and can use new ones from the inventory right after the fight.

I think RED's idea is good enough, most counter arguments ive'been reading are just complains about "delaying metabolism sounds stupid" and i think yours falls into that category, trust me, i want the game to sound more authentic or lore accurate too, but if to do that you have to make all of these extra mechanics and limitations and rules, i think its just not worth it. well.
When its about critically important gameplay mechanics, I have a pretty high tolerance for "stupidness" I guess, although i still dont remember quite well if i read of Geralt delaying potions effects at will somehow or not...

Last edited:
@Geralt_of_bsas

Well mate of course everything needs a lot of balancing and toxicity I think would still fit pretty well into my idea and would limit player from becoming Witchaborn lol :D but yeah you raise some valid questions but I still think that my idea would pretty much please most of the people because it implements and combines everything and it would just need balancing but yeah to each it's own I guess.

One thing we can all agree I hope is that CD Projekt whatever does will be either as awesome as rest of the game or patched if it really annoys lot of people or simply changed in some of optional game modes like dark or hardcore...

found this interview with michał platkow nothing new but he did answer a question about the departure of the two gameplay designers.

http://stevivor.com/2014/02/interview-cd-projekt-reds-michal-platkow-witcher-3/

"so we knew that there would be people just starting their adventure on with Gerald"

"You’ll be able to enjoy the game if you’ve been playing it since the beginning, where you’re a veteran already, and you’ll still have fun because you’ll be better than the others"

"it will be easy to survive, but if want to do cool stuff or advance relatively faster it will be harder"

Last edited:
@ReptilePZ

Hey althoguh I'm no longer ES fan I still find it hilarious when some 'news reporter' makes an article titled: Skyrim 6 - we can't wait :D

And yeahhhh....bunch of nonsense can be found in that article... noob wannabe reporter. :D
:facepalm:

"it will be easy to survive, but if want to do cool stuff or advance relatively faster it will be harder"
Meh, I really hope that this is not the case for the hardest difficulties. I don't want to advance faster or do cool stuff. I want to play the game the way it's meant to be played and still be challenged and feel the thrill of every mistake potentially being my last.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom