E3 Discussion Thread

+
I concur with those voicing their dislike of auto-refills. That is just too easy and convenient. I know you guys at CDPR are trying to appeal to a wider audience, but even those new to the series will appreciate mechanics that reward thinking, planning, and generally making an effort, though perhaps not immediately. And please do not forget about the fans that loved and supported your previous games. We want a meaningful evolution in the gameplay, not simplification and overt streamlining.

I was thinking the same. My fear is that now that they are getting far more popular than by the release of the two previous games they are "adjusting" some things (witcher sense showing where to climb :rly?:) for more casual gamers and newcomers to the series. Tough time for us hardcore witcher fans coming?

Not just here. Traditional or oldschool-type RPG'ers in general. It's not getting any better elsewhere either aside from few shoelacebudget indies from crowdfunding campaigns.

Y it's still work in progress and we might ultimately change it. We are still experimenting.

Please do. :)

Last edited:
Let's face it: there simply is no reasonable 'ranged weapon' thingie for underwater combat in the chosen timeline/setting. I don't see a problem though, why should ranged underwater combat be necessary? Give us knives and make it a close quarter combat only environment - would make sense.

what king of underwater combat sistem would you see let's be real .....give me one example of an underwater combat sistem, its to hard to make one, the crosbow/ harpoon gun is the easyest option, the alternativ would be no combat at all

I feel like all these changes (3 bolt action crossbow, simplifying the potion system) were made to accommodate a certain crowd. But maybe that's just me.

Well, you have to consider that CDPR is getting a whole new console audience (new to the series) they want to please.
That and the fact that they want to make their revolutionary RPG game available and accessible for everyone
is responsible for the overall down-dumbing of gameplay elements.

You know, as long as we don't need to mount flak cannons to hunt griffins it'll be ok.

what king of underwater combat sistem would you see let's be real .....give me one example of an underwater combat sistem, its to hard to make one, the crosbow/ harpoon gun is the easyest option, the alternativ would be no combat at all

If an option is easy it does not make it sensible. And how exactly would a harpoon gun work in the Witcher's timeline? And you simply do not have the materials to make a crossbow efficient underwater.

Its not really a change from previous games, your journal always contained details about monster, its weaknesses and what to use to kill it.
There IS a big difference between notes about behaviours and weaknesses of monsters in your journal and recommended item. For the former you actually need your brain to sort out which potions might be suited best for what you know about the monster the latter is made for braindead people....

This is casualization at its best, sorry. I don't like that. At all.

Well, you have to consider that CDPR is getting a whole new console audience (new to the series) they want to please.
That and the fact that they want to make their revolutionary RPG game available and accessible for everyone

You know, as long as we don't need to mount flak cannons to hunt griffins it'll be ok.

That's a horrible mindset to have. It's what got BioWare to where they are.

And how exactly do you know it was used only by a small percentage of the playerbase?

This is the impression I got from Konrad's interviews, especially his latest one which was posted recentely. It may be even more severe in Witcher games as opposed to other RPGs, because potions are somewhat integral to the lore.

They can accommodate anyone they want, just don't forget where you started from. PC gamers made this franchise what it is, don't screw your main demographic over with non-sensical systems.

It seems we will have that, It's an intuition..

Your intuition never fails, wichat.

Hopefully high toxicity will have side-effects, just like the radiation level in Fallout 3.
Both visually (hallucinations, etc..) and affecting the stats of the character~

If an option is easy it does not make it sensible. And how exactly would a harpoon gun work in the Witcher's timeline? And you simply do not have the materials to make a crossbow efficient underwater.

That's it. If there absolutely NEEDS to be ranged combat underwater, the signs would be the best solution, albeit still not a good one. Crossbow just doesn't make any sense whatsoever, these things simply don't work underwater. And there's no other ranged underwater weapon I'm aware of that would fit the technological level of the world we're playing in.

I don't see a problem with melee combat only though and I'm not quite sure why that should be a problem from a game-play or programming perspective either.

I was thinking the same. My fear is that now that they are getting far more popular than by the release of the two previous games they are "adjusting" some things (witcher sense showing where to climb :rly?:) for more casual gamers and newcomers to the series. Tough time for us hardcore witcher fans coming?

There is a way to make both crowds happy, and that is adjustable difficulty, something like the new Thief game. Basically, you choose what features you want or do not want. So for example we could choose if we want our potions to be refilling with or without reagents consumption.

But it's not that simple, if they made the game so that you need to make a potion once, then the ingredients required for it will be very rare and expensive.

In fact.... I hardly can imagine how a Igny would work under waters....

There is a way to make both crowds happy, and that is adjustable difficulty, something like the new Thief game. Basically, you choose what features you want or do not want. So for example we could choose if we want our potions to be refilling with or without reagents consumption.

That would be something to consider. Not just regarding the potions but also how "strong" the witcher sense is for example and other features. But as Marcin said, it's all WIP and even if it stays that way, there'll hopefully be an EE where they can change things.

Marcin confirmed on the Polish side that potions will only require ingredients when we need to craft them for the first time and when we want to upgrade them.
OMG. That is so wrong. As well as auto-replenishing. Really hoping that this experiment will be declined in next months before release.

Well, theoretically you could heat up the water enough to cause pain/damage to your enemies. After all, it's MAGIC! As I said, it's not great but certainly better than crossbows/harpoons.

And dumbing the system down to the point of potions and such magically appearing is an improvement?

I think it's important to understand that complete realism =/= fun. Sure, certain people would love to play Witcher 3 - The Real Life in a Fantasy World Simulator, but most don't. For such reasons, CDPR doesn't include hunger mechanisms, or the need to go to the bathroom or some other stupid shit like that.

Perhaps this system isn't the most realistic, and might break immersion for a few poor souls out there, but if it is properly executed - it could fix a problem without dumbing down or simplifying anything.

Top Bottom