Watch The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt “The Trail” Opening Cinematic

+
@Totalimmortal For me, this did not feel like a Witcher trailer. Random fantasy game X perhaps, but it lacked that special vibe and presentation.

The trailer immediately starts with the action and does not take a break, ultimatley never allowing you to soak in the atmosphere - one of the most important things in The Witcher. Did not appreciate the forced GoT reference at the start either, I think TW can stand on its own just fine. Not enough variety in the music, didn't know when to make dramatic pauses, vocals were overused, especially at the very end, when the logo appears. The trailer itself did not feature a big "Wow" moment, I think that was supposed to be Yen using that spell, but it lacked impact. As I said, the pacing of the action and the music did not work well enough to build up to that moment and make it feel significant.

And that's the general feel I got from the whole thing - it was insignificant. Nothing worthwhile happens. It starts with Geralt searching for Yen and ends in that way. I also have issues with how the battle was presented - too much grandiose high fantasy, too little Witcher grittiness and intimacy. Like I mentioned at the start - did not feel like a Witcher trailer to me. Another thing I did not like is that everything felt rushed, which is closely related to the "no time for build-up" point I made earlier. I get that they were trying to give off this feel of urgency in the Yen scenes, when compared to the calmer Geralt ones, but I think they overdid it a bit.

Finally, the trailer desperately needed some voice work. A narrator or Geralt analyzing the clues, something. Again, ties in with the whole "trailer was constantly in a rush to be over" idea.

In the end, it did nothing to really pique my interest. It was a fun watch, but had no lasting impact on me.

I agree, it definitely felt too short and rushed. Still a good trailer, but missing that certain oomph or "wow" moment that you described. Honestly, I was hoping for something more deliberately atmospheric like the Killing Monsters trailer.

Lol, come on man. The TW2 CGI is a masterpiece. One of the best I've ever seen. They can't knock it out of the park every time.

What a stunning and fantastic opening cinematic!
I don't really have much to say besides I'm glad to see Yennefer and it looks awesome. T_T why is February so far away?!

I think the trailer was great, action packed and badass - exactly what's needed to sell the game. it doesn't explain much, but I guess there will be other ways to introduce the game.
Anyway I don't understad why the big fuss about some CGI, good GCI is like the very last thing I care about the game.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it! However, the music choice could've been better .. perhaps a music track similar to Howl of the White Wolf or the Siege of Vergen would've been more suitable. The battle cry of the NIlfgaardian Knight could've been more aggressive as well.

9.5/10 from me!

The music doesn't really fit, it felt like they just took a random track from the game and put it over the trailer. The Killing Monsters music was amazing because every second of it was perfect for what was happening on screen.

It's also too short, the scenes with Geralt and Vesemir felt a little pointless and would be much better if Geralt found something worthwhile at the end that actually led him somewhere, that would have made this cinematic a lot better, because he's pretty much right back where he started in his search for Yennefer. This cinematic doesn't give us any questions, nor does it answer any.

Overall, i liked the Cinematic, but i'm a fairly disappointed with it.

Last edited:
It is an effective, if not very subtle, use of cross cutting to tell a definite story with just enough of a point to leave me wanting more. And that, not giving away too much, is the purpose of a 3-minute trailer.

As for the music, the only thing I can say is MOAR JOANNA! Damn, I wish I could sing like that. It's over the top, but the whole point is that the situation Yennefer is caught in is beyond ordinary experience.

But is it just me, or does Yen's black kestrel look a lot like a rook? The beak's all wrong for a kestrel, but a good fit for a rook.
Yen's black kestrel

Kestrel

Rook

Last edited:
Ah well, like others have said, it can not always be a knockout. It is a fun cinematic but kind of sad when put up against those of TW2 (or TW1, though that may just be me).

But is it just me, or does Yen's black kestrel look a lot like a rook? The beak's all wrong for a kestrel, but a good fit for a rook.
Yen's black kestrel

Yes, I also thought that it was some bird from crow/raven family when I saw it first in some previous trailer. Now, given that it is Yen's bird, I simply don't know.

The Vocals definitely seem to have a very Love or Hate effect.

Personally I love it, it just sounds so authentic, intense and with that dash of exaggerated folksy twang and as a "foreigner" who generally doesn't hear that kind of vocals in Music it's really different and interesting. However, I can see how people might hate it, and like anything it's not going to be for everyone. Hopefully enough people like it that where it is placed in the game it will have ultimately been a good choice.

I'll take the vocals over those funky Metal tracks in 1 & 2 any day.

I've been saying since The Trail first appeared that it's a Crow. In fact since I first saw the SoD trailer It's struck me as a crow. (although I had no prior knowledge of "Yens Kestrel", or Black Kestrels at all for that matter, thats not the colour of them here).

I have to agree with what @ReptilePZ points out. This cinematic was VERY underwhelming for me. It really gives me no good reason to spread around and show it to people like TW2 intro.

And, after being on the fence about it for months, I came to the conclusion that TW3's musical direction is not my cup of tea. I don't like the vocals. They annoy me. And it's a problem for me when vocals are so heavily integrated in to the soundtrack. I was happier with the bits of music from around 2013, when Gene Rozenberg was still around.

Could you provide some links to those bits from 2013? I would like to check them out.

An example would be the debut trailer. I haven't heard something of the sort for a long time now:
@Kinley, I wasn't referring to anything specific from Gene; was just referring to the period when the musical direction was quite different than it is today.

Well I don't know, that particular piece you linked was made by Marcin Przybyłowicz, same guy that is leading the sound team now.

The main change that I see from then to now (a change that, I have to admit, do not like all that much as well) is them focusing way too much on Percival's sound. Instead of the band adding another layer of flavor to the already existing layers of what a Witcher game should sound like, they have become the main focus. I have to say that the wailing at the end of The Trail cinematic was just bad. The Witcher theme that I hold so close to my heart was just utterly ruined in my opinion.

How disappointing.
The Witcher 1 and 2 intros were far better in my personal opinion.

This one looks like a casual opening to catch a lot of audience...
It's just not my cup of tea.

Also bad choice of music... They are focusing way too much on Percival... and I am already bored of it. Why not something like this instead?

A better intro would have been something like this which really has the essence of The Witcher:

Last edited:
Top Bottom