Is The Witcher 1 still playable?

+
Is The Witcher 1 still playable?

Since the game got delayed I really want to play both games before release but when I started TW1 it definitely felt outdated (as expected)
Do you still play it? Is it still enjoyable? Are there any mods etc. to improve the graphics?

Last edited:
Of course W1 is still playable and enjoyable, that game is aging well ...Art style is beautiful, music is fantastic...Overall atmosphere is much more dark and gritty than in W2, and I actually prefer it that way...
Oh, and Lakeside...Chapter 4 of W1 is one of the best gaming experiences in my life :unworthy:

And yes, I play it at least once a year...Every winter, to be precise :smoke:

So, play it and enjoy it...What are you waiting for?

Of course W1 is still playable and enjoyable, that game is aging well ...Art style is beautiful, music is fantastic...Overall atmosphere is much more dark and gritty than in W2, and I actually prefer it that way...
Oh, and Lakeside...Chapter 4 of W1 is one of the best gaming experiences in my life :unworthy:

And yes, I play it at least once a year...Every winter, to be precise :smoke:

So, play it and enjoy it...What are you waiting for?

just started it when you mentioned the Lakeside Chapter I remembererd the great time I had with the game (played it already twice)
so thanks!

Depends if you ever play older games because TW1 is very playable but it requires your 'legacy skillset' as I call it to play, it doesn't exactly play like a modern game with active combat where player skill defines most of it. The combat itself is pretty robotic(rhythm based) and there's your usual - sign, bomb, potions, leveling so that's stuff you can control.

tl;dr - Yes it's playable as long as you aren't one of the people who cannot play any old games.

Currently finishing up chapter 2, lost count of which playthrough this is. I'm still pleased by the visuals, and I can't agree they've become dated.

Still loving it :)

No, it's expired. You can't play it anymore.

Terrible graphics.

Now I want to play it again.

@Journey_95 I really enjoyed it, and played it late 2013, early 2014. But I can go pretty far and still enjoy games. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are two games I played recently and loved them. Just for some perspective.

The game is beautiful. Chapter 1 and Chapter 4 are still unmatched in my book in terms of atmosphere. The combat is a bit weird at first and by no means an amazing system, but I still had fun with its rhythm-clicking.

The dialogues, at least in English, can be a bit awkward at times. Characters can occasionally speak oddly and it might feel as if a few lines are missing to make sense out of the interaction. But these aren't common issues, and besides them, the story is really great. It starts out as something simple: you've just been found by your fellow witchers after 5-years hiatus. You remember nothing (amnesia is a convenient device, isn't it?). Shortly after, Kaer Morhen is attacked by a criminal group who steals sensitive secrets. You then set off to hunt them down, all detective like, and from there it really sprawls to surprising areas.

I highly recommend it. But if you just can't get into it, then Let's Plays can do the trick as well. I like Christopher Odd - he really gets into his games and just feels overall like a nice nerdy fellow. Also, he fell in love with the series and at the end of his playthrough of TW2 he described it as his most fun gaming experience, to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuQirEnvqkU&list=PLj_Goi54wf0f2NXPeIvJqtLBSG9_nBTMM&index=1

Oh, and Lakeside...Chapter 4 of W1 is one of the best gaming experiences in my life

Enough said! :p

Still playable? Of course and it ll ever be, no matter how fancy graphic will go, there are some
aspects they still weighing heavier than graphic does.

Ljesnjanin posted it, go in there... walk through the fields and tell me then, if the atmosphere dont get you.

Last edited:
I played TW1 after TW2 and yet didn't feel like it controlled badly at all. In-fact quite the opposite, many elements of TW1 feel much better (Especially in the Control/UI/Inventory department) compared to 2.
Although that said, I'm someone who has always gone back and played older games (Especially RPG's) and so older Graphics, Controls, UI's etc, never really shock me at all and I tend to transition very well. Perhaps if all you ever play is stuff like Assassin's Creed, Modern Shooters, Rockstar Games etc, then even something that really isn't that old like The Witcher 1 might still feel a little odd.

The Graphics have certainly aged, but the Artstyle is quite simply fucking gorgeous and it's one of few games where the use of color is absolutely flawless, giving off this extremely natural, organic look, whilst simultaneously providing atmosphere.
I did a playthrough about 3-4 months ago when I got my 4K Monitor, and the game is still just absolutely stunning. (Saturation/Contrast might come up a little odd on some screens, my 4K Monitor isn't quite as finely tuned as some monitors)
http://abload.de/img/12315673krd17.jpg
http://abload.de/img/68678678eqclu.jpg
http://abload.de/img/23423423421mdks.jpg

Really the only elements about TW1 which do bug me a little (But definitely won't stop you from enjoying the game) is NPC Variation, Facial Expressions and Animations. There's like 10 random NPC models in the game just copy-pasted everywhere, and even some fairly major characters have the same model as 20 other NPC's walking around Vizima, it's a little weird.
Facial Expressions are basically non-existent and characters are very limited in the animation department when it comes to dialogue exchanges. The writing in the game is still absolutely superb, and being that the game was CDPR's first and it's a little old, you have to just kind of look past those janky dialogue elements and just focus on the quality of the writing.

I believe the Rise of the White Wolf Mod has improved textures in general, and there's a few graphical mods but nothing that does anything major. I either play it Vanilla or FCR and it definitely holds up, it's still a wonderful game.

No, it's expired. You can't play it anymore.
Damn, I probably violated some terms of use ... and again ... and again ... and.. :)

Since the game got delayed I really want to play both games before release but when I started TW1 it definitely felt outdated (as expected)
Do you still play it? Is it still enjoyable? Are there any mods etc. to improve the graphics?
It depends how much do you care about graphic - the game is 7 years old RPG, so you can't expect latest FPS graphic, but as you saw on screenshots, the game still looks great.
I have to say I don't care much about graphic, for me the most important is story (characters, plot,..) and atmosphere. In RPG additionally choices (and consequences) - and I have to say I don't know better game than W1, W2 and hopefully W3 :)

Top Bottom