GRYOnline.pl interview with CDPR studio lead Adam Badowski - translation

+
Maybe you should think of buying a Xeon GPU instead with DX12 and even better multithreading support just around the corner..

Maybe, but I'M afraid I can't run TW3 with a Core 2 Quad 2,33 Ghz.
Maybe I'll get an AMD processor just to bridge the time gap until Xeon comes around the corner.
On the other hand, it will be damn expensive when it comes out, and I have a budget.

Well, given the fact that AC Unity runs with 50-60 FPS on ultra/maximum settings on a GTX 970 it would be pretty sad if Witcher 3 wouldn't at least reach the same on high settings...
Exactly good point. Plus the recommended requirements for ACU is a GTX 780 and TW3s are GTX 770. My PC runs ACU maxed out with 60 fps it mostly stays at 55 or 50 and bear minimum 45fps which is still playable. I also have a FX- 8350 and i'm planing on getting a 4790k for the Witcher 3. If TW3 play worse on High than ACU on Ultra then there is something wrong or CDPR should have made the recommended specs a little bit higher.

Maybe I'll get an AMD processor just to bridge the time gap until Xeon comes around the corner.
On the other hand, it will be damn expensive when it comes out, and I have a budget.
Sorry, but I don't understand that. You can buy a Xeon CPU right now. What gap do you want to bridge?

The Xeon E3-1231v3 with 3x3,4Ghz costs about as much as the i5 4690K with 4x3,5Ghz you probably mean. While you cannot really overclock the Xeon it offers hyperthreading and therefore 8 threads...

Last edited:

Witcher 3 will be a DX11 title though. Also think you should push for above 960, so go with the 970 so you can get better eye candy and more VRAM. But just be aware of the latest controversy surrounding the 970 card.

So far, what we have witnessed is that a GTX 980 will do about 30 fps, not 50, in High, not Ultra. A claim of 50 has no foundation.
Well here is something i found. It could be a bad google translation but here is want i think he said.
''The developers say the highest level will still be optimized, but should then run fine on the same system.''
I think by the same system he means the build that they were using. I could be wrong. It would be nice if someone translated it.
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...el/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt,49062,3082308.html

Even if you have a crap C2Q like a Q8200, it may actually be a pretty good risk. C2Q's have a big fast cache, and they outperform Phenom II's even at lower clocks. The minimum CPU requirement of a Phenom II 940 (3.0 GHz) is equal to an Intel Q8400 and is easily beaten by a Q9550. I could probably beat it with an overclocked Q6600.

It looks like the game will be even more demanding than I thought. :-[
But I do appreciate the sincereness, one of the best interviews I've read and with the least amount of hogwash.
A big thank you for the translation, gregski!

Last edited:
Well here is something i found. It could be a bad google translation but here is want i think he said.
''The developers say the highest level will still be optimized, but should then run fine on the same system.''
I think by the same system he means the build that they were using. I could be wrong. It would be nice if someone translated it.
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...el/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt,49062,3082308.html

The translation is correct. But the statement is based only on PR by CDPR, it's a simple promise without proof.

I just remembered an E3 2014 with John Marmais at Eurogamer in which he said the following:

Witcher 3 on PC ultra settings adds better tessellation, more physics, more post-processing and more realistic fur, Mamais said.

By comparison, the graphics of the console versions are equivalent to high settings on PC.

So apparently - if it is still generally correct what Marmais said a few months back - the PC version right now isn't really optimized like well, at all. I mean, they need a $1500 high-end PC to basically offer the same visual quality as the PS4 with only some minor improvements? That's kind of ridiculous. Again, Ubisoft would have already been crucified for something like that...

Gladly they decided against the release in February. It would have been a disaster on PC but nobody can guarantee that it will be much improved until relaease (to a "satisfactory" level?)...

Since the PC version is taking the backseat (to be expected), I really hope that they at least give it more support after release.

Like better optimization, interface, M+K input, modding, and higher texture quality (like foliages) on top of the hairworks and ubersampling. I would prefer that over the DLC's. But I really hope that they try to improve the PC version much further after releasing all of the DLC's.

Then they can gradually move developers to Cyberpunk... instead of completely ditching W3.

Yes, it does; I would read it "will be optimized further", but that means there will be an Ultra level for PC, just without a few of the most performance-sapping features.

It also says that texture rendering is better on the PC, and draw distance is about twice as far on the PC. Those are in comparison to PS4. In short, the PC version on a quality PC is visibly better than the PS4, by a comfortable margin.

Last edited:
Thanks for the translation gregski - great read!
I just wanted to say I'm really looking forward to playing it on the PS4. I'm certainly not trying to start another stupid system war but I'm glad that I don't have to worry about how the game would run on my PC. I know a lot of PC enthusiasts love discussing/debating the higher end requirements for that perfect look, call me simple but I just find it exhausting. To me the content, story and game play is what matters most and I'm confident CDPR will release the game above my expectations. I'm sure it will still look great on the PS4 and I'm content with that, even if I know it can potentially look better on PC.

Yes, it does; I would read it "will be optimized further", but that means there will be an Ultra level for PC, just without a few of the most performance-sapping features.

Why remove any features? Why not leave them in for a future PC that can handle them?

Why remove any features? Why not leave them in for a future PC that can handle them?

Nobody said they would be removed; I would take it to mean they will be off in stock Ultra settings, you have to go to custom settings to enable them, and you'd better have an SLI setup even to consider doing so.

Nobody said they would be removed; I would take it to mean they will be off in stock Ultra settings, you have to go to custom settings to enable them, and you'd better have an SLI setup even to consider doing so.

Ah, I'd be fine with that.

I wonder if they've thought of having a preset higher than ultra that just maximizes everything, perhaps with a warning disclaimer. :)

Thank you so much for this translation. I found this one on my own and tried it with google translate and as you said, it pretty much failed hard. lol

IsengrimR

Amazing job @gregski. I am honestly amazed that not only you did it ( personally, I HATE to translate stuff ) and the quality is spot on!

Will we reach 30 or 60 FPS on the recommended requirements?

I think that we will display 30 FPS. We plan to work on performance till the very end, this is really important, the hardware is very diversified. The programmers really pushed us not to perform demagoguery and not deceive anyone, not pulled up the released requirements for lower specs. It’s how we wrote it, it can only get better.

And that's why ladies and gents, you should specify what the hell does the recommended mean, what res and what FPS. I have a 3 year old pc, and if you think that I even consider 30 fps playable, you have another damn thing coming.

If someone watches this trailer they will notice that character models in the game look better, even Geralt is more perfect – he has better shaders for example.
Words, words, words.

Noone can accuse us of dumbing down the game.

Oh, really now? And the magic refill of potions does not happen, right?

During one conference you said yourself that you would like to be second Bethesda

I think I missed that interview. Ignorance is a bliss, right? Well, good I got to know that. Not so much "We're the rebels!" anymore?

--

So, from recent footage game looks barely better than Dragon Age: Inquisition, I can accuse CPDR of dumbing down and somebody wants to be like Bethesda.
And recommended specs are for 30 fps.
:facepalm:

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" and "Blessed is the mind too small for doubt" are indeed two phrases that best describe hype factor for Witcher 3 for now.

Last edited:
PC version has the same quality of console version. Ok, then. So, I have to use a more powerful GPU to get the same quality?

To get the PS4 quality on PC you will need a GTX 770 and a i7. so....yep, better hardware for the same thing. (at 30 fps)

Being honest, all the translated stuff says the same to me to my google translator version.

Last edited:
Do you have a clear way of solving the save game import issue from the previous installments on all the platforms? Are you planning anything like Dragon Age: Keep or something else?

When it comes to consoles you can continue the game and admit to certain facts but we did it differently than in Dragon Age: Keep. We used the game itself and dialogues between characters to make those choices

So it will be smoothly entwined into the gameplay?

Yeah, into the Prologue. When we reach Vyzima the player talks about his previous decisions. It’s not a table to fill but I don’t want to spoil further details at the moment. It’s worth noticing that it will be optional

Will you be able to import saves on PC? Will the solution you just described be also available to people who didn’t keep their saves?

Yes, you can use both options on PC

This is nice, I'm considering not to import my save games after reading this. This could be better if I won't remember about some decisions I made in previous games. Tho I plan to play them again before may.

Will we reach 30 or 60 FPS on the recommended requirements?

I think that we will display 30 FPS.
What does he mean by that? That with recommended requirements people will only be able to play at 30fps?
Im confused... I can't stand anything lower than 60fps, I hope this is some kind of misunderstanding or whatever...

Last edited:
To get the PS4 quality on PC you will need a GTX 770 and a i7. so....yep, better hardware for the same thing. (at 30 fps)

Being honest, all the translated stuff says the same to me to my google translator version.

Ew, that statement still stings when I think about it. The consoles having an advantage for having closed specs is true but that big of a needed difference to get a tie is a bit nuts. A 770 and I7 should run circles around the parts in a console, while in this situation you need it just to get the same experience. I can not call that well optimized in the slightest on the pc side.

Top Bottom