Let's talk translations and other languages

+
There is no justification whatsoever for piracy. Do not pretend that piracy is justified as a means of punishing companies for what you perceive to be slights, or that making amends for these will put an end to it.

As to the Spanish language, many of us are aware that the Spanish-language market is divided even on the desirability of dubbing in Spanish. Some have made this point in language that was too vulgar and disparaging for this forum. But "standard Spanish" is not desired by many (actually, a large majority) of Spanish-speaking gamers; the market for it is limited mostly to Spain.

I get tired of repeating the same thing. I do not condone piracy, I analyze their causes. Certainly piracy in Spanish-speaking countries increased since the games are no longer just text, and began speaking to include voices without always translated.
respect different dialects, in a system based on a current time we could discuss system. This game is based on a medieval here is a poem written by Jorge Manrique in medieval Castilian (canary poet) to see if you can tell me would be like in medieval Castilian of Latin American countries. http://www.poesi.as/index1.htm I do not think at that time there someone speak Castilian but you will know

---------- Updated at 05:19 PM ----------

Dubbing of videogames in Spain has almost been horrible. Here, video game culture is not a second but third of fourth hand thing. So the profesional dubbing actors (few and very good ones and expensive too) often reffuse to do it.

I rather 1000 times a correct and polish subtittle than a forced and dispassionate dubbing.

That's because many companies leave the translation job to distributors and not contemplated in the original project.
Other companies aim to get a quality product and provide for translations from the original project (eg shadows of Mordor has one of the best translations in the world of video game I've seen with cinematic quality) other companies like this prefer spending money on advertising to get a quality product that achieves a good immersion in the game. that if the final price they ask us is the same.

Last edited:
That's right, and when the market of video game in Spain reaches reasonable levels that will change. Ostras! If there's only 2 o 3 TV programs dedicated to CONSOLE video games.... and I'm stil waiting they talk about The Witcher, no one about PC gamers!

That's right, and when the market of video game in Spain reaches reasonable levels that will change. Ostras! If there's only 2 o 3 TV programs dedicated to CONSOLE video games.... and I'm stil waiting they talk about The Witcher, no one about PC gamers!

bueno en meriestation y en 3djuegos tienes dos "gameplay" comentados los dos con los mismos movimientos y las mismas ensenas por dos "periodistas"diferente, el viaje que le regalaron parece que fue divertido

Please, post in English.
these reply is to a spanish user, to many post i traslate today and is only 2 lines use google traslator

ok by these time, i comment that he/she (i´m not sure :S) can find a fake game play y 2 diferent web( same moves, same Essenes diferent web, both sell as their own )
and i ´m surre that is publicidad hypnotists advertising and paid them the trip from the creative company of the game, not journalism

http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/avances/15476/4376/0/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/

http://www.meristation.com/pc/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/avance-juego/1836154/2037106

I just realized that you are the moderator
and not just translate the game into our language but you force us to speak English with us? :(

Last edited:
I really don't want to get into the reasons why Castilian Spanish of any era is deprecated in Latin American countries, because the history of that is bitter and still political. I also don't want to get into what people give out as excuses for piracy. The forum is not going there.

The language of this forum is English; that is a forum rule, which you agreed to when you opened an account. We do not criticize others for their English when it is not their native language, nor do we justify using languages other than English on the grounds that it is a private conversation.

I really don't want to get into the reasons why Castilian Spanish of any era is deprecated in Latin American countries, because the history of that is bitter and still political. I also don't want to get into what people give out as excuses for piracy. The forum is not going there.

The language of this forum is English; that is a forum rule, which you agreed to when you opened an account. We do not criticize others for their English when it is not their native language, nor do we justify using languages other than English on the grounds that it is a private conversation.

1) many of my favorite writers are Latin (benedti, garcia marquez, vargas Lloza, Isabel Allende) even living in the Canary Islands as living in my speech incorporated many of its expressions

2) at the time that the books are based in Europe everyone thought the world was flat and had not been discovered america

3) agree if I can not analyze the reasons for piracy me one single thought ... these people are evil that go with wooden leg, eye patch and move in bergantiles sailboats. Is this politically correct?

4) I do not and criticized anyone for their English, just e manifested a correction how absurd it is to say that they prefer the voices in English, being this game technically difficult for its ambience in a medioval season when not even ordered good adjectives and names (my English is not perfect use google translator). if they want to refute my arguments that are with solid arguments (that user by the way also publishes a commentary in Spanish and much longer than mine will also have remembered the forum rules or be in favor of the company does not matter much)

Here is the best exploration of the reasons games are not dubbed into Spanish I have found.

The Regional Differences of Languages and Their Impact on Game Localization: Exploring Spanish Localization across the Americas

To put it briefly and very bluntly, claims for historical accuracy get sent to the back of the bus, because Castilian Spanish is the language of a bitterly resented colonial oppressor in the Americas. That resentment is so deep that it even raises organized opposition to official veneration of pioneering Spanish churchmen including Junipero Serra and Eusebio Kino.

And as a moderator: That is why further discussion is not welcome as a political topic.

Here is the best exploration of the reasons games are not dubbed into Spanish I have found.

The Regional Differences of Languages and Their Impact on Game Localization: Exploring Spanish Localization across the Americas

To put it briefly and very bluntly, claims for historical accuracy get sent to the back of the bus, because Castilian Spanish is the language of a bitterly resented colonial oppressor in the Americas. That resentment is so deep that it even raises organized opposition to official veneration of pioneering Spanish churchmen including Junipero Serra and Eusebio Kino.

And as a moderator: That is why further discussion is not welcome as a political topic.

I in no time and led the discucion the political subject, unlike dialect of Spanish and Latin American community. and on two occasions and I have said you and I try to stop this debate on your part on several occasions.and e expressed on several occasions that not only respect the way you speak Castilian in Latin America and also in the area where I live have many things in common in my language with them.
I certainly am not agree with what happened in those times, I am against culaquier violence and repression method.
I am ashamed to be a moderator to lead the debate these issues, and also so as offensive. I do not understand how anyone could well be a moderator. I hope another moderator take steps for this to be resolved in a fast and internal. If not so I will have to seek external way to report this.

Last edited:
No argument you have raised has been a valid reason for producing a Spanish localization for a market that, as a majority, not only does not want it but openly rejects it.

Spanish gamers who want a localization in their language will have to do what the Brazilian gamers did, lobby decently and in order for it and display the manner of enthusiasm that will encourage CDPR and capable voice actors to work together on it.

No argument you have raised has been a valid reason for producing a Spanish localization for a market that, as a majority, not only does not want it but openly rejects it.

Spanish gamers who want a localization in their language will have to do what the Brazilian gamers did, lobby decently and in order for it and display the manner of enthusiasm that will encourage CDPR and capable voice actors to work together on it.

with you, I do not have nothing to discuss. I reaffirm the foregoing

I do not understand how anyone could well be a moderator. I hope another moderator take steps for this to be resolved in a fast and internal. If not so I will have to seek external way to report this.

No need to be so agressive, @Guy N'wah has always done a fine job. And 'threatening' will get you nowhere.

According to German game journos who've played the localized hands-on version the German version is good/ok but clearly worse than the English version. Guess I will use the English version then. Nobody can beat Doug Cockle as Geralt anyway. ;)

@ricewind100 All that Guy N'wah has tried to do in this thread was to be helpful and offer explanations as to why CDPR decided to drop the Spanish dub of Witcher 3.

Now you either choose to acknowledge that fact or you choose to ignore it, it's your call. But do so in a civilized manner, otherwise moderator action will be forced upon you.

---------- Updated at 01:49 AM ----------

Disputing moderator decisions is a sure way of getting yourself banned. A post has been deleted.

Translation accuracy, narrative authenticity

I heard that in Witcher 2, Saskia never said anything about liking dwarves in the polish dialog. So it seems like the translators took at least one liberty. I'm wondering if the bad Lord of the Rings jokes on Iorveth's path were also a translator having a bit of fun, or if that was in the original writing?

Curious if there will be any checks as to the accuracy of dialog in the third installment.

I heard that in Witcher 2, Saskia never said anything about liking dwarves in the polish dialog. So it seems like the translators took at least one liberty. I'm wondering if the bad Lord of the Rings jokes on Iorveth's path were also a translator having a bit of fun, or if that was in the original writing?

Curious if there will be any checks as to the accuracy of dialog in the third installment.

Yeah, the English and Polish in Saskia's Epilogue scene are very different, to the extent that the English is thoroughly misleading.

I think the lampshading of Lord of the Rings (and a "bad fairy tale") are also there in Polish, but my competence at Polish is too little to say for sure.

It would surprise me if they attempted anything like an exact translation; that is just not what you do when you are translating entertaining fiction. Instead, you are meaning to create a version in a different language that conveys the same feelings as the original does in its language. Saskia's scene is an example of how badly this can go wrong, but it was not misguided in its intent, only in its execution.

Yeah, the English and Polish in Saskia's Epilogue scene are very different, to the extent that the English is thoroughly misleading.

I think the lampshading of Lord of the Rings (and a "bad fairy tale") are also there in Polish, but my competence at Polish is too little to say for sure.

It would surprise me if they attempted anything like an exact translation; that is just not what you do when you are translating entertaining fiction. Instead, you are meaning to create a version in a different language that conveys the same feelings as the original does in its language. Saskia's scene is an example of how badly this can go wrong, but it was not misguided in its intent, only in its execution.

Recreate the feeling? What about the meaning? What is unique in a given language that they don't even have a word for it in a different one? I suppose I can see how humour might be somewhat cultural and get lost in translation, but beyond that I still think they should attempt something like an accurate translation.

Recreate the feeling? What about the meaning? What is unique in a given language that they don't even have a word for it in a different one? I suppose I can see how humour might be somewhat cultural and get lost in translation, but beyond that I still think they should attempt something like an accurate translation.

Oh, translation is hugely cultural, maybe entirely cultural. This has bedeviled translators all the way back to when Martin Luther first wrote seriously about translation. You have to recreate the meaning of something that exists only in the source culture, in a language that has no words for it, or that has to express it in an entirely different way.

"Some American reviewer of Foucault’s Pendulum said something nice about the translation, but then said, “I feel that the translator has taken a lot of liberties with the original,” and then he put in parentheses, I’d like to know what the Italian for “couldn’t tell shit from Shinola” was!"
[William Weaver, Umberto Eco's longtime translator]

Another more concrete example from William Weaver.
"Some of the hardest things to translate into English from Italian are not great big words, such as you find in Eco, but perfectly simple things, buon giorno for instance. How to translate that? We don’t say “good day,” except in Australia. It has to be translated “good morning” or “good evening” or “good afternoon” or “hello.” You have to know not only the time of day the scene is taking place, but also in which part of Italy it’s taking place, because in some places they start saying buona sera (“good evening”) at one p.m. The minute they get up from the luncheon table it’s evening for them. So someone could say buona sera, but you can’t translate it as “good evening” because the scene is taking place at three p.m. You need to know the language but, even more, the life of the country."

Last edited:
Top Bottom