Interviews and Articles - 2015

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the full translation:

The Witcher 3 - Exclusive: System requirements for Ultra-optimized Details

CD Projekt has reduced the hardware requirements of The Witcher 3 noticeably. We had 2 days to convince ourselves of that during our exclusive Preview.

By Heiko Klinge

(Referring to the latest 4K screenshot) This is how The Witcher 3 looks with ultra details.
(Note: Clarified by Marcin that the screenshot in question shows the game on settings that are a mixture of ultra and high: https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/578571883634917377)

The Witcher 3 is two months away from release and already feels nicely rounded out, without bugs and above all, much less hardware-hungry than in its last major press event in late January. This is probably the most surprising finding of Gamestar chief editor Heiko Klinge last week as the world's first journalist who was allowed to play the mammoth role-playing game from CD Projekt for full two days and without restrictions.

Without restrictions means that even with maximum graphic details. So we cranked up all different types of configurable graphics options from the grass density to texture, water and terrain details to 'Ultra'. Because in our PC (Intel i7-4790, 16GB RAM) there was also a Geforce GTX 980, we were also able to activate the option "Nvidia Hair Works". The result, to put it lightly, knocked our socks off: In Geralt's face, we saw each skin pore, his long shadow spread in the setting sun like a bed sheet on a dense colorful flower meadow, the breeze made his white hair flutter realistically in the wind.

But what's even more important than all the graphic splendor: Even with ultra details the game ran at 60 frames per second and a lot smoother than the Preview code from the press event in January did, where we "only" saw the game on High details. Only in the densely populated Novigrad there was some noticeable stuttering, but CD project aims to optimize the performance up to the launch even further.

During our two times with the game, we only noticed three bugs: Once we lost control of camera readjustment during a fight, a saved game could not be loaded (a restart fixed the problem), and once we had a horse make itself comfortable on a three-meter column, which was funny rather than annoying.

Completely bug-free - something that a project of this magnitude will certainly not be. But the delay has definitely done good for the Witcher 3. At least our impression of the state of the game is already better than that of its predecessor before release. This is also suggested by the fact that CD Projekt no longer have to worry only about bug fixing, but also have time for a few cosmetic changes. So the vegetation pop-in should be reduced further.

Also, if you get the copy of their magazine that comes out on March 21. there should be further details etc. as well as new pictures. They did not specify those were going to be screenshots, so we'll have to wait and see, could just be a new artwork or two.

Last edited:
Optimization Jesus... you came...

"Worldexclusive: Played for 2 days. The whole truth!" - 25. March kiosk, 21. March e-paper, tablet

"[...] 8 pages, new screens, explanation how the skill system works, how the Ciri parts work, how big the choices and consequences are and much more, [..]"

2 more days for (hopefully) a lot of new information. Can't wait!

Last edited:
Here's the full translation:

The Witcher 3 - Exclusive: System requirements for Ultra-optimized Details

CD Projekt has reduced the hardware requirements of The Witcher 3 noticeably. We had 2 days to convince ourselves of that during our exclusive Preview.

By Heiko Klinge

(Referring to the latest 4K screenshot) This is how The Witcher 3 looks with ultra details.

The Witcher 3 is two months away from release and already feels nicely rounded out, without bugs and above all, much less hardware-hungry than in its last major press event in late January. This is probably the most surprising finding of Gamestar chief editor Heiko Klinge last week as the world's first journalist who was allowed to play the mammoth role-playing game from CD Projekt for full two days and without restrictions.

Without restrictions means that even with maximum graphic details. So we cranked up all different types of configurable graphics options from the grass density to texture, water and terrain details to 'Ultra'. Because in our PC (Intel i7-4790, 16GB RAM) there was also a Geforce GTX 980, we were also able to activate the option "Nvidia Hair Works". The result, to put it lightly, knocked our socks off: In Geralt's face, we saw each skin pore, his long shadow spread in the setting sun like a bed sheet on a dense colorful flower meadow, the breeze made his white hair flutter realistically in the wind.

But what's even more important than all the graphic splendor: Even with ultra details the game ran at 60 frames per second and a lot smoother than the Preview code from the press event in January did, where we "only" saw the game on High details. Only in the densely populated Novigrad there was some noticeable stuttering, but CD project aims to optimize the performance up to the launch even further.

During our two times with the game, we only noticed three bugs: Once we lost control of camera readjustment during a fight, a saved game could not be loaded (a restart fixed the problem), and once we had a horse make itself comfortable on a three-meter column, which was funny rather than annoying.

Completely bug-free - something that a project of this magnitude will certainly not be. But the delay has definitely done good for the Witcher 3. At least our impression of the state of the game is already better than that of its predecessor before release. This is also suggested by the fact that CD Projekt no longer have to worry only about bug fixing, but also have time for a few cosmetic changes. So the vegetation pop-in should be reduced further.

Also, if you get the copy of their magazine that comes out on March 21. there should be further details etc. as well as new pictures. They did not specify those were going to be screenshots, so we'll have to wait and see, could just be a new artwork or two.

Thank you very much @ReptilePZ! I used your translation to make an article on a Brazilian website, ok? :) (http://www.gamevicio.com/i/noticias...tema-para-the-witcher-3-otimizados/index.html)

Wow, they seriously were playing for 2 days? I really hope there will be info regarding the technical aspects of all platforms.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/news/the_witcher_3,49062,3083995.html

tl;dr: significantly improved performance even on ultra settings in the newest build, barely any bugs of note, hairworks looks fantastic

Just got back from work, read this and literally just jumped out of joy in my apartment. Fantastic news. Running the game @ 3440x1440 at decent settings seems to actually be achievable.

Now the only question is if the game supports 21:9. Please CDPR. Pleeeeeease support it.

Now, with a little overcloak, my GTX 760 will be able to run on High on 30 fps or a little more :D. It's a dream coming true! Or maybe I will be able to buy a 970!

This is excellent news. Truly excellent.
I own an i5 4670k CPU and an MSI R9 290X Graphics card and i was having doubts if i could get decent fps. If the 980 can get 60 on ultra, i can probably pull off 50+ which is bloody brilliant.
I just did the Carlton dance in my living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom