Advantages / Disadvantages of buying the game from GOG vs Retail copy

+
Advantages / Disadvantages of buying the game from GOG vs Retail copy

I have good internet speed and many retail stores nearby. I will buy W3 but want to buy a copy where I get the most for my money(I'm not talking about the lowest price but rather support,dlc's,other goodies etc).
I have purchased W1 and W2 on STEAM. I WILL NOT BUY W3 from STEAM. Are there any advantages for me going retail vs GOG ? What are the advantages of each.
THANKS !

Game content is the same for everyone. Retail obviously gets you the box goodies.

Come to think of it, will there be a preload for GOG before the 19th so we don't have a million people trying to download at once?

Come to think of it, will there be a preload for GOG before the 19th so we don't have a million people trying to download at once?
Yes of course... Have fun :)

EDIT: They haven't stated how long before the 19th the pre-load will start however.

I'm not 100% sure if I get a GoG key to link my Collector's Edition to like I did for Witcher 2 CE, but I already bought it for Steam as well (since the CE is coming on 24th May). So I will play it on Steam on worldwide release..hopefully I can import my PC saves properly.

Regarding advantages..it's all about convenience. I personally like having everything in the same place so prefer Steam. I have also heard that Steam preload time will be a bit late compared to GoG version so there's that as well.

Then we come to the whole purchase thing: if you buy from GoG all of the money goes to CDPR>.where as Steam/Valve takes a cut.

What are the retail goodies that I wouldn't get if I got the digital version ?
Are the digital goodies GOG offers(if any) that would not be available from the retail version ?

The pre-order bonus content is slightly different between Steam and GOG. You need to check the lists to compare.
The game content is the same everywhere.

Physical goodies differs from each retailers, you may want to check that out. If you are into physical items and want to store your copy on a shelf then go for the retail.
If internet is not a problem (with pre-load), I suggest to go pick it at GOG to fully support CDPR. I've picked mine at Steam not because of goodies but because my friends are all there. I still love and enjoy the platform despite the recent outrage.

Last edited:
If you want everything in one place, you can redeem the Steam CD keys for Witcher 1 & 2 on GOG, that's what I did. Now all 3 games will be DRM free :smiling:

I wish I could pay my money directly to Gog.com and also get the physical retail copy goodies. I am torn between gog.com and retail. Though I think I will end up choosing gog.com

I went with GOG this time because retail is handled by Bamco and they don't get another dime from me after what they did to CDP, and also because I haven't so much as glanced at my TW2 box since I bought it and it's just collecting dust.

I purchased it on GOG. The money goes directly to CDP and you can always burn the files on a DVD in case you're going to install the game on a pc with no internet.

If i didnt care for physical goods like i do, i would go GOG.com. I want RED to get all my money for my copy of the game.

Enter your Steam keys for Witcher 1 and 2 at https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup and get the game for 20% off.

All of the money from GOG sales goes directly to CDProjekt, instead of the retail store taking a cut.

That's about it, though, because retail copies come with a GOG key.

Hi, so if I buy the first two witcher games (currently 85% off on steam) and then use those codes, I can then get 20% off using those codes to pre-order the witcher 3 from GOG?

Hi, so if I buy the first two witcher games (currently 85% off on steam) and then use those codes, I can then get 20% off using those codes to pre-order the witcher 3 from GOG?

You can :) I would recommend buying them straight off GoG.com though, if you're into supporting developers directly. But otherwise that's bascially what I ended up doing accidentally, so there's nothing stopping you.

Top Bottom