no windows vista 64bit support?

+
no windows vista 64bit support?

just saw its not listed in the requirements.
did you just not test it on vista or does it not start on that OS?

Unsupported covers a lot of territory Won't find out whether this particular "unsupported" translates to "won't install" or "won't start even if installed", or just "don't call us with your problems" for a few days. To be fair, supporting Vista is a waste of time, and that alone may make it unsupported.

Vista should have all the features needed to support the game. But after I find out, my last two running Vista installs are getting updated to Windows 10.

Last edited:
Relatively few people had Vista 64bit. It does (AFIAK) use DX11, so it could work. XP 64bit doesn't so is a non-runner.

Win7 was the first mainstream 64bit OS, so is the stated requirement.

If you are unsure, then wait till after release when performance and function has been tested on hardware and software environments similar enough to yours to give a definitive answer. It is possible that there are quirks that could prevent Vista from working properly, though I have no information at all about sub versions of the memory and graphics architecture differences between Vista and Win7.

It also should be noted that Vista is not supported by MS any more.

ok, would be nice if some dev could confirm this.
i just need something like: "dont even try it wont start" or "it could run we just dont want to bother with support."

its for the PC of my girlfriend and im really to lazy to update to 7 on her PC - every other game runs great on her PC with vista installed (dragon age inqusition for instance)

(and btw. its too late - i already got it predownloaded on GoG, so no going back for me, too bad i just read the OS requirements right now - still no loss as my PC is on 7 and above the recommended requirements, i just need to know if i have to upgrade OS for my GF before release)

Last edited:
OK, here is a hands-on answer, but you may not like it. The installer balks on Vista, saying "System does not meet minimum requirements." You will have to update before you play the game.

Sub-minimum hardware does not give this error (though I haven't gone deeper into sub-minimum territory than an old Core 2 Quad Q6600).

The game does install on Windows 10 Tech Preview, though I won't know if it actually plays until next week. This is free to you as a beta now, and should be free to you as an upgrade when Windows 10 goes GA later this year.

Now that I know the game is a nonstarter on Vista, my remaining Vista boxes are going Windows 10 starting today.

OK, here is a hands-on answer, but you may not like it. The installer balks on Vista, saying "System does not meet minimum requirements." You will have to update before you play the game.

Sub-minimum hardware does not give this error (though I haven't gone deeper into sub-minimum territory than an old Core 2 Quad Q6600).

The game does install on Windows 10 Tech Preview, though I won't know if it actually plays until next week. This is free to you as a beta now, and should be free to you as an upgrade when Windows 10 goes GA later this year.

Now that I know the game is a nonstarter on Vista, my remaining Vista boxes are going Windows 10 starting today.

Could you just for shit 'n' giggles copy an install from another box and see if it *runs* under Vista?

I'd have to figure out how to copy the install, registry changes and all. But I'll try it next chance I get.

ok, thats strange, i just preloaded it with GoG Galaxy on the Vista PC, there was no other intsallation process..
did you try on the 64bit version?

i just rememebered that dragon age inqusition was also not compatible with vista, all i had to do is download directx11 (which vista does not automatically for some reason)
and it runs as great as on any windows 7 PC ;)

so im still hopping ;) -> i wont find time to upgrade the vista PC in the days until relase because i have to work and then im going to italy and my GF wont be able to play while im there, so it would be really great to hear if this starts on vista!

thanks for trying it out for us!

Last edited:
so any update on this? 2 days to go and im still not sure if i need to update the OS?

The official requirements are clear - it isn't supported. If you're waiting for someone (Guy?) to test it in more detail, that won't be possible until he has a copy of the game, i.e. after the launch.

ok i get it, still dragon age inqusition did not support vista on the paper and it worked without problems after updating directx to 11
so maybe some dev. could tell me more?

also GuyNwah had some installer running which declined installation, so it seems he has some other version then me.
with GoG it does not start any kind of install after preload is complete

Last edited:
ok i get it, still dragon age inqusition did not support vista on the paper and it worked without problems after updating directx to 11
so maybe some dev. could tell me more?

also GuyNwah had some installer running which declined installation, so it seems he has some other version then me.
with GoG it does not start any kind of install after preload is complete

I downloaded mine from GOG and it is an installer if you download all the parts . Maybe you have one or more parts that are corrupt .

hmm.. strange...
did you use the GOG Galaxy Client? (i did)

because the only .exe i have, says i have to download a patch on release day

hmm.. strange...
did you use the GOG Galaxy Client? (i did)

because the only .exe i have, says i have to download a patch on release day

No I used my browser and yeah it installed in Galaxy client . Same as you with the remaining bits on release day .

No I used my browser and yeah it installed in Galaxy client . Same as you with the remaining bits on release day .

ok, thats cool! so it seems it installed on my vista without problems ;) (no minimum requirements error)
now lets just hope it will start too ;)

Spare yourself (and @GuyNwah ) the trouble mate and upgrade. I remember looking forward to Vista when it was announced/launched and history knows what a disaster it was.

Also nice to see @tommy5761 here after quite a while. TW3 launch is the apt time to get everyone here in one place :D

yeah i will, i just dont have time for that shit now ;)

too much hassle, need to backup files and stuff first as there is not enough space on the SSD for a secondary OS (dual boot)

i was just worried because guy said something that it wont let me install but it seems it worked just fine.
the PC is more then capable to run the witcher3 / dx11 is installed and its 64bit so my hopes are high.
this system could run every other game btw.

Last edited:
just wanted to let you know it works without problems on vista ;)

glad i did not swap OS and waited - spared myself a lot of work

Top Bottom