Game freezing after around 15 minutes / sound keeps playing

+
The only working solution for me:

install MSI Afterburner
set GPU and MEMORY Frequency to -100MHz
No more crashes on my GT 770, playing more then 5-6 hours.

Before -> 5-15 Minutes to crash graphics, sounds running...

This worked for me ! Thanks man. Been playing many hours, since I've done this.

This worked for me ! Thanks man. Been playing many hours, since I've done this.

I've down-clocked my 780GTX as much as Afterburner will allow (to about 820MHz or some such) but no joy here. Still crashes randomly, usually in coversations

Last edited:
Underclocking your GPU to make any game work is the worst thing ever. I didnt buy a high end card to play with 20% core downclock. The problem always lies with the publishers. The same thing happened with Battlefield 3, battlefield4, GTA 5 and now this game. People were blaming the hardware for all those games but a patch from the publishers only can fix it, and all those games that were crashing stopped crashing after that.

Just wait till CDPR acknowledge and fix this issue

i fixed this problem on my pc. i had the same problem the whole first day

Re install direct x. you can find the folder in commonredis in your game folder.
next disable internet and log onto steam off line. start the game.
and make sure unlimited frame rate is turned on.
next when you load your game for the first time and join into the world. let it render out for 2 mintues and then walk around.

it will work and fix your game

Happens to me only after 1.03 patch

2500k stock
970 stock
8gb RAM
Windows 7 x64 with the Nvidia WHQL drivers 352.84

Underclocking your GPU to make any game work is the worst thing ever. I didnt buy a high end card to play with 20% core downclock. The problem always lies with the publishers. The same thing happened with Battlefield 3, battlefield4, GTA 5 and now this game. People were blaming the hardware for all those games but a patch from the publishers only can fix it, and all those games that were crashing stopped crashing after that.

Just wait till CDPR acknowledge and fix this issue

Yes, you right, but i can play. Now and with max 10% Loss in Graphics. No 40FPS, but 35FPS?? :stuart:

Weirdly I have this bug on Ps4, normally it crashes after about 15 mins, I can occasionally play a bit longer, or sometimes it happens as soon as the game loads. Anyone else?

Same here, crashing when pressing the start button ( menu ) on pc with xb1 controller.

I7 3770k, 16gb ram, gtx980...latest driver

I have an Asus R9 285 Strix OC and I tried downclocking it to the stock level but that didn't fix the problem for me.

Same here.
The sound keeps playing and I seem to be able to still control Geralt (judging by the noises).
With this, I haven't made it past the sword tutorial yet.

Observations:
- In borderless window mode, the game closes itself when I try to ALT+TAB out of it,
- In fullscreen mode, I have to close it via the task manager

I tried different driver versions (with DDU uninstalls between them) including the latest stable and the W3 NVidia driver, all the same result.

My setup is different, GTX 680 and Win 8.1 x64. Judging by this and all the other postings around here, it can hardly be a problem based on certain hardware :/
I made the same changes but reverted to nvidia drivers 347.25 and i was able to play for over 3 hours last night on ultra without a crash. Previously it would crash every 15 min even on low settings with the lastest drivers for 680 gtx

I was getting the same with the latest Nvidia drivers (352.86) , I did a complete uninstall with driver sweeper and reinstalled and have had no crashes since

I've got a gtx 980 and I75820k and when i play the game it runs fine 60 fps hairworks off but when i perform certain actions like jumping, killing the last enemy with an finishing move my gpu usage goes from 70 to 99% percent and the game starts stuttering and crashes 10 minutes after.

Has anyone got a similar issue with the gpu usage?

Same here. I can't even pass the Gerald and his friend conversation about the dream cutscene. The game just freezes, the sound go on for a few seconds, and then I need to C+A+D and kill the witcher3.exe process.

Win 8.1 64bits
GOG version
HD7870
SSD
8GB RAM
i5 3570k

Install older nvidia driver problem solves for me....no more crash 10 hours in d ..im using v347.25 on my gtx770 amp

352.86 randomly crashes on desktop on my GTX 780 Classified, I was using 344.something for months without a single issue, but I had lots of crashes playing TW3 in Velen area, so I updated to 347.25, and now it works, I've played for half an hour and visited every single site where it'd immediately crash without a single issue at all!

I don't know if this driver would also lead to other problems later (other games or desktop usage) but for now, i think it's the best of the both worlds for us 780 owners.

(Note: I left GF Experience installed at latest version, didn't downclock/optimize anything and left PhysX at latest version, not the older version 347.25 installs by itself.)

Top Bottom