Fate of a certain character in a certain ending...(MAJOR SPOILERS)

+
Fate of a certain character in a certain ending...(MAJOR SPOILERS)

Hello all.

Just wanted to ask, does Geralt die in "Ciri dead/disappeared" ending?" In that ending, he gets no ending slide and monsters approach the Crone's house. Now, I would think it would be possible for him o survive the ordeal because plot armor but he gets NO ending slide as well, which leads me to believe he died.

That's why I find this ending to be pretty ridiculous. Sure, there are many monsters converging on the house...but seriously? You slay hordes of monsters, defeat the King of the Wild Hunt in single combat and his generals. I guess you could say Geralt just 'gives up', and he very well might, but I could see him as 'retreating from the world', going to a far distant land or even drinking himself into a stupor for a long time. But who knows how devastated he is or if he simply has a lack of will to go on? I did find it a little interesting how the Crone talks about some kind of prophecy of him dying there...of course, like a lot of the ending none of this is elaborated on.

Last edited:
We don't know for sure but yes, I'd interpret the epilogue in the same way. Geralt dies.

...which makes no sense at all and is competely out of character but that's how CDPR wrote that ending.

It's basically about CDPR punishing the player for being a bad father.(in their most simplistic way of presenting good parenthood) which is both ridiculous and disgusting, if you ask me.

Last edited:
It is suggested by the Crone that Geralt is suicidal and has nothing to lose, so I think he'd just sit there to get slain by the monsters instead of fighting.
But I agree that the ending doesn't make sense.
Ciri disappears, so it doesn't mean she is dead for sure. Geralt would set out to find her instead of committing suicide. Suicide is completely out of character for Geralt.

IMO, too early to suggest anything. But the ending seems like it wants us to speculate

I read somewhere and someone said even if you get the ending where Ciri died, Ciri doesn't actually die. Can't recall where but it's on this forum. So treat this as speculation as well

That's why I find this ending to be pretty ridiculous. Sure, there are many monsters converging on the house...but seriously? You slay hordes of monsters, defeat the King of the Wild Hunt in single combat and his generals. I guess you could say Geralt just 'gives up', and he very well might, but I could see him as 'retreating from the world', going to a far distant land or even drinking himself into a stupor for a long time. But who knows how devastated he is or if he simply has a lack of will to go on? I did find it a little interesting how the Crone talks about some kind of prophecy of him dying there...of course, like a lot of the ending none of this is elaborated on.

Gameplay =/= Lore
just because you play a Geralt that curbstomps monsters doesn't mean Geralt in lore is that good.
he got killed by a peasant mob, what makes you think he could outfight a monster mob?

Gameplay =/= Lore
just because you play a Geralt that curbstomps monsters doesn't mean Geralt in lore is that good.
he got killed by a peasant mob, what makes you think he could outfight a monster mob?

I'm not really upset at the fact that he is hinted at dying in the "bad end", but it needs to be somewhat believable in the context of the character we know. Also, as an aside, it was my understanding that Geralt died from the peasant mob because he hesitated, not due to any lack of skill. If Geralt is in fact weaker according to lore, then why are we given another picture of who he is? As "as a whirlwind of steel and rage", as Vesemir would say. This is as if Bruce Banner dies in a car accident after helping to defeat an extraterrestrial evil. Possible? I guess. But does it really fit? No.

I guess my point is, of all the ways to portray his death, this was the least satisfying and the least 'Geralt'. Maybe that is done intentionally to illustrate that even though he is this superhuman mutant killing machine, that he is still very much mortal and with Ciri's implied passing, it might illustrate that he simply gives up. We don't really know because we aren't really shown how he is feeling other than rage towards the remaining Crone and disappointment and devastation for Ciri afterward. So I'm not really disagreeing with you and that lore Geralt might very well be much less than we are shown, but if you are going to show a Geralt that could easily surpass such an obstacle as some ghouls and drowners converging on a house, you can't really expect me to believe that he dies...at least not without a little bit more. Maybe him removing his swords and dropping them to the floor as the monsters converge? I don't know.

Also, as an aside, it was my understanding that Geralt died from the peasant mob because he hesitated, not due to any lack of skill.

'Mercy!' A lad said on his knees before him, peering through his dishevelled hair.
'Mercy!' Geralt spared him, stopping his arm and sword, using the attacking impetus to complete his turn. From the corner of his eye he saw the dishevelled young man with a smirk on his face and saw what he was holding in his hands.
He changed the direction of his movement, trying to escape. But he was caught in the crowd. And for a split second he was mired in the crowd.
He could only watch at the pitchfork that was flying towards his body.

Lore Geralt would've probably struggled with that "bad" ending monster mob, but I suspect he'd be able to pull through. Game Geralt would have zero issues. It's about suspension of disbelief and looking for what the scene is about.

The dialogue during the epilogue suggests she's dead but the final ending slide simply says it's hard to say because her body was never found. We don't know absolutely if she's dead or just left everything behind and went elsewhere. Geralt lost Ciri and he suffers because of it. It's up to you to imagine whether he fights his way out in a fit of rage and desperation or if he his unable to recover enough strength in that moment to continue living.

I thought it was the best made ending, even if it's totally bad. :)

Why would Geralt survive?

He let his daughter die.

No one, not Yennefer, not Triss, or Dandelion matters after that.

The dialogue during the epilogue suggests she's dead but the final ending slide simply says it's hard to say because her body was never found. We don't know absolutely if she's dead or just left everything behind and went elsewhere. Geralt lost Ciri and he suffers because of it. It's up to you to imagine whether he fights his way out in a fit of rage and desperation or if he his unable to recover enough strength in that moment to continue living.

I actually like endings where the protagonist dies generally. I also wasn't expecting a 'Scarface'. I guess I was expecting a tad bit more 'drama' without it being over the top, given everything we've been through with this character. Given the reactions to this ending on the forums for those people that got it, I would say that it definitely elicited the appropriate emotional response given the circumstances, so it obviously did its job well. While I enjoyed the Ciri Witcheress ending, it certainly didn't give me as much of an emotional response as the bad ending did for the players that got it. So I guess you're right in terms of it being 'the best ending' of the batch in terms of how it makes a player feel. Maybe less is more in this case? Maybe I need to watch it again.

Why would Geralt survive?

He let his daughter die.

No one, not Yennefer, not Triss, or Dandelion matters after that

Where have you been? I noticed you've been missing. ;) As I said, I guess it was more in how it was presented as a death rather than knowing it was one. As for the motivation for why we would want to, I don't dispute that.

Two things:

1. I'm on my wife's computer because, for some reason, everytime I log in on mine, Roche appears and says, "The forums are down for maintainance. Be back when our Special Forces get them fixed." I am genuinely confused about this BUG since I managed to log on here and everyone has been posting for a week.

2. I have been advertising my first novel coming out this week (one of three coming out this year). http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Supervillainy-Saga-Book-ebook/dp/B00ZA9U8T4

Two things:

1. I'm on my wife's computer because, for some reason, everytime I log in on mine, Roche appears and says, "The forums are down for maintainance. Be back when our Special Forces get them fixed." I am genuinely confused about this BUG since I managed to log on here and everyone has been posting for a week.

Bummer. Browser issue?

2. I have been advertising my first novel coming out this week (one of three coming out this year). http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Supervillainy-Saga-Book-ebook/dp/B00ZA9U8T4

Seems like a hearty congratulations is in order, so congratulations!

Thanks.

I'm very happy it's selling reasonably well for a first independent novel. My big release, though, will be next month with Esoterrorism.

And next year is when my two dark fantasy novels will be coming out.,

Yay me!

*ahem* Back to the fate of Geralt.

"He's dead, Jim."

It's basically about CDPR punishing the player for being a bad father.(in their most simplistic way of presenting good parenthood) which is both ridiculous and disgusting, if you ask me.

Can't say I agree with you there. As much as I was bummed that Ciri died even though I thought I had tried to be supportive, I really, really like how it's a series of seemingly inconsequential decisions on Geralt's part that Ciri basically takes the wrong way and that then end up affecting her confidence. I'm not a father, but I work with adolescents, and honestly, I find when things go wrong, it's very often for exactly these reasons. You do and say things to the kids that affect them in ways you don't realize until it's too late. It's a far, far cry from "always pick the blue dialogue option to make this character loyal to you."

I think it's out of character for him to be suicidal though. He could have gone on with his life.

He could have.

I just think the game is right in that Geralt wouldn't want to.

Witchers are functionally immortal but, eventually, wear down or get killed.

Here, Geralt didn't want to face eternity without his daughter.

I don`t really think Ciri dies because to get the sad ending you gotta be a douche to Ciri. At the good ending where Ciri becomes a witcher it`s hinted she dies the same way, except she`s magically back on the world. The way I see it, she just wanted to vanish from Geralt`s life the same way she does from Emhyr`s at the good ending.

Honestly, if I had gotten the sad ending first, I`d be completely satisfied with the game story. I`d just have accepted Ciri dies and if Geralt dies or not is open to speculation, which wouldn`t really matter. He`d be either dead or an empty shell devoid of feelings and haunted by his failure doing some witcher work here and there.

What really does bugger me is if Ciri defeated the White Frost or not. If she did, how. If she didn`t, why? How the hell does she survive and gets back? Or maybe in the bad ending she did actually die?

Top Bottom