Why couldn't mages just teleport out of Novigrad?

+
Actually, peasant vs knight has more chances for a peasant than knight vs sorcerer. In case of the mob nigher a knight nor a sorcerer would be stupid to fight them to death. Knight will just ride away on his horse, the sorcerer will teleport away after casting a meteor shower or some other nastiness on the crowd.

Yeah....that's not how magic works in the Witcherverse.

‘It was Tissaia’s doing. She suddenly decided whose side she was on. She took down the blockade, removed the aura and neutralised the dimeritium. Then everyone went for each other! Vilgefortz and Terranova on one side, Philippa and Sabrina on the other . . . The columns cracked and the vaulting collapsed . . . And then Francesca opened the entrance to the cellars, and those elven devils suddenly leapt out . . . We told them that we were neutral, but Vilgefortz only laughed. Before we had time to build a shield, Drithelm had been shot in the eye, and Rejean had been spitted like a hedgehog . . . I didn’t wait to see what happened after that. Marti, are you going to be much longer? We have to get out of here!’

The Scoia'tael brought by Francesca Findabair killed hundreds of magicians during the Thanedd Coup. They were the deciding factor in the battle, not spells.

Considering spells mages can use and that some of them are weak. All mages in the witcher universe consider witcher's magic as primitive and not serious. They don't even call it magic. This is why witcher magic is called signs, not spells. Even a beginner mage can produce something more powerful than Geralt's signs. If we to believe TW3, Geralt can kill everybody only using his signs.

Yeah and Witchers can't help but roll their eyes at how stupid this makes magicians sound.

In conclusion, there's no fucking way Sile could have been captured by witch hunters. It is as probable as her being eaten by a dinosaur. Similarly, Margarita Laux-Antille is also extremely hard to get caught.

Just a short bit about how magic works.

Mage: BLAH BLAH BLAH B...

*is stabbed*

A Mage can drop down epic explosions if they have time to cast but if they're in weapon range, they're meat. Mages have no defenses against being killed by normal means.

Last edited:
A Mage can drop down epic explosions if they have time to cast but if they're in weapon range, they're meat. Mages have no defenses against being killed by normal means.
I think for most mages this is true but for more powerful ones it's not. Vigefortz comes to mind.
Was kicking Geralt and Yen's asses, and literally melted Regis before Geralt got lucky.

Yeah, but the thing about Vilgefortz is that he's basically Darth Vader.

He's not JUST a mage.

He's a MAGE KNIGHT.

He's every bit as good with a sword as spells and uses the two skills interchangeably.

It's why Geralt assumes he can beat Vilgefortz in their first fight.

And.....he doesn't.

I always thought that was a nice subversion, having Vilgefortz do everything a Witcher can do but BETTER.

Wichers are able to cast Quen with one hand and fairly quickly. Perhaps mages can do something similar but the Scoia'tael attacked too quickly for them to get their defense up?

It's a perfect analogy, because killing Keira is an execution for the crime she didn't commit but you suspected that she might commit it in the future?

Uh? Geralt doesn't kill Keira out of the blue, she attacks him because he says he can't let her bring Radovid the research, and he is forced to.

So, jailing you for having means of stealing something in the future is exactly the same reasoning.

Uh, no, Geralt wanted the research. Or her not going to go give it to Radovid.
Jailing makes no sense, but if you gonna go with it, then it means preventive jail for someone who is suspect for conspiring to commit a crime and can happen.
Plus it's not even the case. If anything what's not certain is the Catriona research being able to be weaponised eventually.

If you want closer analogy then you should be shot on the spot for possessing a research papers on some coronovirus that potentially can have a military and medical use, which you want to sell to your own government, because some vagabond decided he's entitled to decide what's best for the world.

Uh, wtf. Nobody is killed or shot on the spot.
You mean the "vagabond" asking you to give up the research that could be weaponised you obtained via deceitful means towards said "vagabond" and you're about to give a insane mass murdering dictator (who then burns you btw) you were in hiding from up till now? Then yes.

Actually, peasant vs knight has more chances for a peasant than knight vs sorcerer. In case of the mob nigher a knight nor a sorcerer would be stupid to fight them to death. Knight will just ride away on his horse, the sorcerer will teleport away after casting a meteor shower or some other nastiness on the crowd.

I didn't pick paesant or knight, nor did I claim they would fight a mob, your pal did. So Triss rains a meteor shower on all Novigrad instantly then teleports away instantly then reappers rinse and repeat? THat's really something. Whatever.

Considering spells mages can use and that some of them are weak. All mages in the witcher universe consider witcher's magic as primitive and not serious. They don't even call it magic. This is why witcher magic is called signs, not spells. Even a beginner mage can produce something more powerful than Geralt's signs. If we to believe TW3, Geralt can kill everybody only using his signs. Therefore, even the beginner mage can case damage similar to Geralt's.

Ok so?

Geralt can singlehandedly exterminate all witch hunters in their compound therefore, 2-3 novice mages also can do that for sure.

Except Geralt could die. I mean he does because you are playing him. You don't survive if you don't. That is kinda idiotic honestly. Geralt could also kill Imlerith and the other guy, killed the Dragon in one W2 ending, does that mean "3 novice mages" could? Geralt doesn't even use signs as his primary weapon. WTF

In life and death situation they should have done it.

Who?

And if Triss were invited to the party then it would have been one way massacre of the hunters.

Really?Says you? And who are these 3 other mages?

Dimeritium is not that powerful and never was, it is also rare.

Ok so? Noone mentioned it as a argument.

Even if we say "fuck the books" and believe only the game, my Geralt had 20 dimeritium bars in his backpack and armor with dimeritium components, it doesn't hinder him, spells also worked on him.

Omg.

Considering possibility of capturing Sile... She has infinite amount of options not to get caught.

Yes.

CUT

In conclusion, there's no fucking way Sile could have been captured by witch hunters. It is as probable as her being eaten by a dinosaur. Similarly, Margarita Laux-Antille is also extremely hard to get caught.

I don't know, maybe? I honestly never said otherwise. I was talking about Philippa being blinded and more importantly of Sabrina being captured and then burned.

Last edited:
Wichers are able to cast Quen with one hand and fairly quickly. Perhaps mages can do something similar but the Scoia'tael attacked too quickly for them to get their defense up?

Well that's the thing, really, Witchers specialize in combat magic which is quick and easy to learn/perform and anyone can do. Mages disdain this kind of common practical magic and stay out of combat in general.

Which is why Witchers take their complaints with a grain of salt.

It's also why Sodden was such a big huge thing because it was the first time Mages broke neutrality to side with one side or another in a war.

I think most mages would benefit from knowing Witcher signs but they consider them beneath them.

It's not that mages can't become combat monsters, as Vilgelfortz demonstrates, it's just they don't because they never expected to learn the kind of practical magic Witchers know.

Last edited:
Just a short bit about how magic works.
Mage: BLAH BLAH BLAH B...
*is stabbed*
Idiotic argument. I can do such arguments too:
Just a short bit about how Geralt's swordsmanship works.
Geralt: BLAH BLAH BLAH B...
*is shot*
Geralt can make epic swings if he has time to swing but if he's in a crossbow range and didn't notice a shot, he's meat. Geralt has no defenses against being killed by normal means.
Conclusion: swordsmanship sucks.

You played too much D&D to believe that mages are only good from afar.

Yeah and Witchers can't help but roll their eyes at how stupid this makes magicians sound.
Really? I didn't know you're a witcher. Have you read the books? It's explained there.

The Scoia'tael brought by Francesca Findabair killed hundreds of magicians during the Thanedd Coup. They were the deciding factor in the battle, not spells.
Should I bring up that in the Books Geralt was handed his ass to him a few times? Or that he was killed by a peasant with a pitchfork? Does it prove that witchers cannot defeat peasants? Thanedd coup part of the book is full of inconsistencies. I already mentioned it in another thread. And we're talking here that there are A LOT of inconsistencies in the game. Books have them but TW3 has much more of them then the books.

Yeah, but the thing about Vilgefortz is that he's basically Darth Vader.
Interesting excuse. Then Geralt is Luke Skywalker, I guess, and his ability to defeat mages is just a plot device. Are you fine with it?

@Frybread

Both can use defensive spells. Both cannot have one constantly on all the time: ex. Triss in Flotsam. Especially while casting other spells.

Both are not 100% impenetrable. Both can be killed by a single arrow/bolt like the cat school Witcher during Lambert's mission or any mage not happening to have his protective spell on.

That is why I keep on insisting a mage could not face dozens of opponents armed with crossbows all on his own. While he does his thing, and maybe incinerates a group all it takes is someone aiming and shooting and he's done. Plus honestly a witcher has much better reflexes, so his Quen casting would be quicker.

You're mistaking my point, @Maerd.

My point is there is *NO* Magic Super Invulnerable Tank WarriorTM in the Witcherverse.

There is no Sepiroth.

No Invincible Super Warrior.

Vilgefortz is the closest thing that exists to it and he's able to be killed by a much-weaker warrior.

Geralt is the greatest warrior after Vilgefortz and he dies at the hands of a pitchfork.

So, basically, yeah, mages AND Witchers are pretty vulnerable to non-mages.

Idiotic argument. I can do such arguments too:
Just a short bit about how Geralt's swordsmanship works.
Geralt: BLAH BLAH BLAH B...
*is shot*
Geralt can make epic swings if he has time to swing but if he's in a crossbow range and didn't notice a shot, he's meat. Geralt has no defenses against being killed by normal means.
Conclusion: swordsmanship sucks.

Seriously are you this biased or just looking for an argument? Nobody said Magic or SOrcerors suck. WTF?
But yes both Geralt and a mage can be killed by a moment of distraction. It's as simple as that.
IT IS YOU who are pretending mages are nearly invincible! WTF?
It is you and the others who are making this a power level argument.

I'm just saying nobody be it mage or witcher or whoever can just go and kill hundreds of people with the certainty of prevailing.

Yeah, the only real Invincible Warrior Mage is Vilgefortz and he's the exception who proves the rule.

A few weeks later, having been healed by the dryads and the waters of Brokilon, Geralt wondered what mistakes he had made during the fight. And came to the conclusion he hadn’t made any. His only mistake was made before the fight. He ought to have fled before it even began. The sorcerer was fast, his staff flickering in his hands like lightning. Geralt’s astonishment was even greater when, during a parry, the staff and sword clanged metallically. But there was no time for astonishment. Vilgefortz attacked, and the Witcher had to contort himself using body-swerves and pirouettes.

He was afraid to parry. The bloody staff was made of iron; and magical to boot. Four times, he found himself in a position from which he was able to counterattack and deliver a blow. Four times, he struck. To the temple, to the neck, under the arm, to the thigh. Each blow ought to have been fatal. But each one was parried. No human could have parried blows like that. Geralt slowly began to understand. But it was already too late. He didn’t see the blow that finally caught him. The impact drove him against the wall. He rebounded from it but was unable to jump aside or dodge.

The blow had knocked the breath out of him. He was caught by a second blow, this time on the shoulder, and once again flew backwards, smashing his head against a protruding caryatid’s breast on one of the pilasters. Vilgefortz leapt closer, swung the staff and thumped him in the belly, below the ribs. Very hard. Geralt doubled up and was then hit on the side of the head. His knees suddenly went weak and crumpled beneath him. And the fight was over. In principle. He feebly tried to protect himself with his sword. The blade, caught between the wall and the pilaster, broke under a blow with a shrill, vibrating whine. He tried to protect his head with his left hand, but the staff fell with enough force to break his forearm. The pain utterly blinded him.

‘I could smash your brain out through your ears,’ said Vilgefortz from far away. ‘But this was supposed to be a lesson. You were mistaken, Witcher. You mistook the stars reflected in a pond at night for the sky. Oh, are you vomiting? Good. Concussion. Bleeding from the nose? Excellent. Well, I shall see you later. One day. Perhaps.’

Except Geralt could die. I mean he does because you are playing him. You don't survive if you don't. That is kinda idiotic honestly. Geralt could also kill Imlerith and the other guy, killed the Dragon in one W2 ending, does that mean "3 novice mages" could? Geralt doesn't even use signs as his primary weapon. WTF
Sure they could. My Geralt once defeated a Dragon and killed anyone in TW2 using only igni sign and didn't use swords even once whole game (cursed battle doesn't count, you don't have a choice there). I'm sure a novice mage can cast igni on a Geralt's level and defeating a dragon is not even required.

Uh, no, Geralt wanted the research. Or her not going to go give it to Radovid.
Jailing makes no sense, but if you gonna go with it, then it means preventive jail for someone who is suspect for conspiring to commit a crime and can happen.
Plus it's not even the case. If anything what's not certain is the Catriona research being able to be weaponised eventually.
In any law you cannot sue the person for the crime that hasn't been committed. Even if she sell papers to Radovid the serious effort needs to be made to make a weapon out of that theory. Like Einstein is not guilty for nuclear strike on Hiroshima. Research is not a weapon otherwise you can put in jail any more or less competent physicist, chemist or medical scientist because they know in theory how to make a weapon to kill millions.

---------- Updated at 04:10 AM ----------

My point is there is *NO* Magic Super Invulnerable Tank WarriorTM in the Witcherverse.
There is no Sepiroth.
No Invincible Super Warrior.
Vilgefortz is the closest thing that exists to it and he's able to be killed by a much-weaker warrior.
Geralt is the greatest warrior after Vilgefortz and he dies at the hands of a pitchfork.
So, basically, yeah, mages AND Witchers are pretty vulnerable to non-mages.
Finally a reasonable argument. But I already said long time ago that in an ambush you can kill anyone who is not prepared. Capturing is another matter, it's way more difficult, nearly impossible. Arresting... well, I doubt anyone would agree to be arrested by sadistic torturers without a fight if they have means to resist.

If sorcerers know that they are hunted down then they will be prepared and will be avoiding ambush situations. Without an ambush is completely different matter. Knowing that she's hunted down by particular people Triss alone could exterminate all of them mixing various strategies. If witch hunter leaders start to die like flies the popularity to join them would be very low.

Last edited:
Finally a reasonable argument. But I already said long time ago that in an ambush you can kill anyone who is not prepared. Capturing is another matter, it's way more difficult, nearly impossible. Arresting... well, I doubt anyone would agree to be arrested by sadistic torturers without a fight if they have means to resist.

If sorcerers know that they are hunted down then they will be prepared and will be avoiding ambush situations. Without an ambush is completely different matter. Knowing that she's hunted down by particular people Triss alone could exterminate all of them mixing various strategies. If witch hunter leaders start to die like flies the popularity to join them would be very low.

As I mentioned, I don't disagree the Witch Hunters were portrayed poorly as they're a sleazy bunch of cowards and murderers rather than anything which should be intimidating. They're basically the Spanish Inquisition meets Nazis (which doesn't break Godwin's Law because the bit w/ the mages in the basement is meant to evoke the Holocaust). Except, they're not even the Warhammer 40K Inquisition Nazis, just the worst of both.

The Order of the Flaming Rose may have been a racist bunch of assholes but you could believe they were a group of professional killers who knew what they were doing as well as how to destroy mages/monsters/elves. The difference between Siegfried and Caleb Menge is not just morality but the fact I think Siegfried could, in the words of Barristan Semly, "cut through him like a cake."

I do think, though, that most mages in the Witcherverse are not warriors in any way shape or form. You talk about how Triss could wage an urban war against the Witch Hunters in the city and you'd be absolutely right, except I'm fairly sure that 90% of all mages are completely untrained in combat. It's kind of like Dandelion in that he's a Bard in terms of D&D classes except...well, he has no combat skills whatsoever.

Because he's not a killer and the vast-vast majority of people in the Witcherverse aren't.

Wizards in the Witcherverse CAN learn D&D spells like throwing fireballs and lightning but most DON'T.

They're healers, diviners, ward crafters, and scientists but NOT warriors.

And are as helpless as any other professional when the Witch Hunters come calling.

Which makes the setting more realistic.

How did they get Sile and Margerita? That is an interesting story, though in the latter's case, we got an explanation.

"They threatened my students and I let myself get caught to save them."

Magic is always tricky to represent correctly regarding believable plots. Sometimes you have to accept inconsistencies in order create narrative tension. Teleportation imo is the biggest source of bullshit. Unlimited mobility is the ultimate weapon. Like for example, how Yen casually teleports around when exploring the viking's dude castle.

If Triss and Yen wanted to, they could eliminate the witch hunters main base in like 10 seconds. Teleport to one of the roofs at night. Yen cast shields for crossbows whatever, Triss burns the whole building down. Teleport out. Same with literally any target they set the minds to. No witch hunter would ever be safe unless they went completely underground. And they would be no threat then.

In the excerpt you quoted it is clear that those mages were not actually fightning but rather trying to convince Vilgefortz not to attack them. And then a few Scoia'Tael arrows hit their heads from behind. So it's not like mages couldn't defeat the elves in a fair fight. They got cought by surprise.
But this example shows that mages are extremely vulnerable to sudden attacks from behind. Even much more than simple soldiers.
Philippa being blinded
On Iorweth's path, when you get near Eilhart's house in Loc Muinne you can overhear two redanian soldiers talking about her capture. It is then revealed that as soon as she appeared in Redanian camp she got shackled from behind so that she would not cast a single spell. She didn't expect that since she thought Radovid was more or less on her side then.
But when she was shackled, she was helpless like a baby. She couldn't get out no matter how much she tried.

Sabrina being captured and then burned.
I would assume that she was kinda exhausted having wiped out two armies a moment before.

Philippa dies at the hands of the Eternal Fire in the books.
Yes, but that happens long after she and her Lodge regain their postion of power and influence "through respect, admiration and ungodly fear". That's how they put the Witch Hunt to an end and are later called "the Great Mothers of Magic".

In conclusion, there's no fucking way Sile could have been captured by witch hunters.
She could be. If the Witch Hunters were competent enough to have a spy close to her and betray her all of the sudden, shackling her instantonously.
But no. She just got cought cause she was stupid and willingly got herself arrested because reasons.

Last edited:
Sure they could. My Geralt once defeated a Dragon and killed anyone in TW2 using only igni sign and didn't use swords even once whole game (cursed battle doesn't count, you don't have a choice there). I'm sure a novice mage can cast igni on a Geralt's level and defeating a dragon is not even required.

I can't believe you're still peddling this rubbish.
Do you not understand that not everything you can do in the games can be used as proof especially in a complex context such as analogy amidst all these assumptions?
Geralt could defeat Bosses using his bare fists. He can carry around 4 tons of equipments. Those are game mechanics and/or exploits. Not lore. This argument is flat out nonsensical. Sorry.

In any law you cannot sue the person for the crime that hasn't been committed. Even if she sell papers to Radovid the serious effort needs to be made to make a weapon out of that theory. Like Einstein is not guilty for nuclear strike on Hiroshima. Research is not a weapon otherwise you can put in jail any more or less competent physicist, chemist or medical scientist because they know in theory how to make a weapon to kill millions.

You're the one who brought up Arrest which has nothing to do with the issue. You know the original argument. Trying to switch stuff around post by post ain't productive. What do you want? People agreeing with your nonsense?
Ok fine, Gerald was WRONG and Keira was 100% right in wanting to bring a certifiably insane mass murderer research he could have weaponised.
Btw you're the one now making the unwarranted claim that research has nothing no moral implications. You are also purposefully distorting what happened.
She wouldn't have been "arrested" for the research. She simply would have had to give it up because the very real risks if it fell on the wrong hands (Radovid's). This is a very common theme across fiction.
I'm tired of your shtick for which you ignore 99% of the points everytime and just try another angle for the sake of it.

Same as a fight with multiple opponents from different direction in which you can't defend effectively from all direction, nor focus on defense exclusively.

Which is the point.

Complete rubbish.
1)Except.. they're the ones attacking, in the Novigrad case we were talking about.
2)You can try to avoid all you want but some situations have an inherent risk, such as... a city with buildings. Urban warfare anyone?
3)"Knowing that she's hunted down by particular people Triss alone could exterminate all of them mixing various strategies" Right. What does this even mean practically?
Plus, she's the one attacking. I'm pretty sure she'd know who's the enemy. What are the various strategies employable during an attack on the whole city of Novigrad?
Why not write some fanfic about it.
4)"If witch hunter leaders start to die like flies the popularity to join them would be very low." Oh. So now it's a months-spanning plan of assassinations vs witch hunter leaders? Or, you know, it could have the opposite effect, with the general populace and everyone being riled up against all mages even more. And pogroms.
The Mages are in that situation also due to their cruelty and bloodshed and plottings.

---------- Updated at 10:41 AM ----------

In the excerpt you quoted it is clear that those mages were not actually fightning but rather trying to convince Vilgefortz not to attack them. And then a few Scoia'Tael arrows hit their heads from behind. So it's not like mages couldn't defeat the elves in a fair fight. They got cought by surprise.
But this example shows that mages are extremely vulnerable to sudden attacks from behind. Even much more than simple soldiers.

Why is it that you people can't be honest? Not worthy of a comment. You know you can argue using reason, logic, empirical evidence without such cheap tricks.

On Iorweth's path, when you get near Eilhart's house in Loc Muinne you can overhear two redanian soldiers talking about her capture. It is then revealed that as soon as she appeared in Redanian camp she got shackled from behind so that she would not cast a single spell. She didn't expect that since she thought Radovid was more or less on her side then.
But when she was shackled, she was helpless like a baby. She couldn't get out no matter how much she tried.

Yes. So? The point is mages don't have lighting speed reflexes. ANd if you can capture one this easily, you can certainly kill one much more easily. Even in a all out fight.
would assume that she was kinda exhausted having wiped out two armies a moment before.

Exagerating much. Also it was an example of mage fatigue, much like Triss' in Flotsam. Mages have c*** magicka/magical stamina.
Hence why one mage being this unstoppable force able to wipe out whole cities is nonsense.
"but Sabrina did wipe out two armiez bleh blehshh" No, she was safe behind Kwaedenian lines. From a distance summoned a spell. She wasn't part of the fighting, nobody was attacking her.
Now if someone would have, she'd be probably dead as busy casting her "someandsuch fire" spell and completely vulnerable from close range+marksmanship.

Last edited:
Bah, come on, is it hard to admit, that mages was simply bad written in the game? Yes, they arenot unkilable, you can stab them, you can even defeat them in the fight. Yes,, even a demi-gods obes (Vilgefortz isdead after all). It would be realistic, to catch one or two powerful + a lot of peasants. But to make them a bunch of sheeps? No. It is bad writing.

Bah, come on, is it hard to admit, that mages was simply bad written in the game? Yes, they arenot unkilable, you can stab them, you can even defeat them in the fight. Yes,, even a demi-gods obes (Vilgefortz isdead after all). It would be realistic, to catch one or two powerful + a lot of peasants. But to make them a bunch of sheeps? No. It is bad writing.
Appreaciate the partial honesty.
But nobody is saying they weren't. The storyline does have problems.
I, among others, am simply pointing out that your assumptions about all mages in Novigrad, or even some of them, being the kind of Sorcerers fitting the bill (like Triss, Philippa, Francesca, etc) is unfounded.
All evidence points to them being mere herbalists, alchemists, etc. esp. the Djikstra dialogue, Vogelbud's quest, and what's shown in the escape sequence itself.

Even then, if they did have 1-2-3-4 Triss-es in their midst, the plan you guys suggested of just killing everybody/burning down half the city to do... what I don't know, except escape on a boat just the same maybe? Is not only unnecessarily risky but also hard and probably resulting in casualties.

Simply, a position we could all agree on, is that Triss' mages quests in Novigrad do present consistency problems, are forced, and could have been written in much more sensible and satisfying ways. Absolutely.
If anything, they could have included a "hot-headed" mage doing just what you think they'd do, aka going all out against the whole city armed forces and some dialogue about it. Or even just someone among the "sheep" proposing it.
Triss turning it down using similar arguments as the ones she already uses in the actual dialogue "too risky" "good of all the mages" etc.
As already said multiple times, Witch Hunters presented as absolute cardboard cut clowns does not help either.
A more menacing and efficient depiction would have helped immensely to make the threat look credible.

A way not to make it so clear cut and flat for sure.

Wait, I did tell about mind-control, illusions and other tricky,but not harmful spells, which can save mage life in one of my previous posts. No need to wipe out. Sile could control hunters minds and flee away, other mages can create an illusons, cast fear, blindness, and so on. Every amateur can cast it, the mages, even schlars, are powerful enought to defend themselves. Of course there will be captured ones and killed ones. But not everyone will be in fear, not everyone will be hiding under the cape defenceless.
The wiping out every hunter is the last option, there is a bunch of other. But no, devs did not gave this options to the mages at all, making them a shaking sheeps.
There should be a casualities between people, like herbalists, medics, country witches, it's typical for witch hunts. There can be a deaths between sorcerers, even strong ones, but explain them. Why powerful and smart ones was jailed and tortured. One thing if they were killed by bolt or sudden stab in the back. But when politically important person jailed (Sile,Rita, other powerful mages) should be properly explained, should have pre-history at last.

Wait, I did tell about mind-control, illusions and other tricky,but not harmful spells, which can save mage life in one of my previous posts. No need to wipe out. Sile could control hunters minds and flee away, other mages can create an illusons, cast fear, blindness, and so on.

A) to do what exactly? Escape the city? And that's better than what's shown how?
Them dealing with a group of hunters on the spot is not the issue, as shown by Triss alternate questpath to save the two mages.
Surely you're not suggesting they can come out of hiding and live a normal life just using mind control on each and every witch hunter they were to encounter though?
B) Sheila is jailed.
Every amateur can cast it, the mages, even schlars, are powerful enought to defend themselves.
A)them being amateurs/scholars in Sorcery is your assumption
B)source? It's never shown to be the case
C) to do what again?
Of course there will be captured ones and killed ones. But not everyone will be in fear, not everyone will be hiding under the cape defenceless.

A) Triss' plan is aimed at avoiding as much casualties as possible, as per dialogue
B)what's this fixation about mages being scared or cautious? I know they're your idols, but still it's not a value in itself? Surely this clashes with the "mages are master manipulators"/so wise thing.
In fact, the guy Triss encounters at the party, her old friend/ex has the rash, arrogant attitude you'd want for all mages.
He doesn't seem to be scared of witch hunters at all and considers her plan stupid.
He ends up being burned at the stake shortly afterwards.

The wiping out every hunter is the last option, there is a bunch of other. But no, devs did not gave this options to the mages at all, making them a shaking sheeps.
A)what are the consequences of wiping them all out, assuming it's doable (it's not)?
B)I would have found the option completely silly and unnecessary. Plus it's not as if you have similar ones in the the game or other 2 games.
Even if you choose not to let Triss be tortured, Geralt only kills a small percentage of the Witchhunters, which does not seem to change things a bit, as Novigrad is a massive city. Plus Witchhunters aren't acting on their own, you got the EF and Radovid and general sentiment of the populace to deal with.

There should be a casualities between people, like herbalists, medics, country witches, it's typical for witch hunts.
There are already, as shown in the game. It's exactly for that reason that Triss tries her stealthy approach

There can be a deaths between sorcerers, even strong ones, but explain them. Why powerful and smart ones was jailed and tortured.

Well they could have used trickery like for Philippa and Sabrina. But Sheila's fate has little directly to do with the Triss quest problem.
But when politically important person jailed (Sile,Rita, other powerful mages) should be properly explained, should have pre-history at last.

Yes. Sure. Same as lots of other stuff in the game that's just rashly presented fait accompli.

Have you ever considered we only witness the situation resulting from months upon months of persecution?
Including burnings at the stake, house searches, all sorts of espionage and trickery (like the quest for the rat problem), and the effect it can have on morale?

Maybe, if not certainly, some did put up a fight, and used all the tricks you suggest. Some may have escaped by themselves.
In fact, Gerald asks Triss why she doesn't simply save her own skin (since she could teleport away easily) and she replies:

(thanks to @farrysquallko)

Basically what's left in Novigrad is the cowardest, stupidest, weakest, lowliest percentage of mages at the point in the game we get to see. The aftermath of months of events we're nto shown but only hinted at.

Attachments

• 11227420_690623044383005_699672517314015929_o.jpg
    11227420_690623044383005_699672517314015929_o.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Top Bottom