Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The climax that comes before something ends...and something new begins.

Ok book-reading devil-worshipers, there is one question that has to be asked: Did Yen fix the old unicorn, or kill and stuff a new one? Poor Ihuarraquax!

I think she imprisoned a new one but shortly after her disgusting experiments the unicorn decided to kill itself with magic.

So she stuffed it and started using it as a new sex toy.

Something i think wasn't much covered in this topic here yet, but do you like their ending?

Because I could imagine that many don't like that it is so vague or that it is almost an "and they all lived happily ever after" cliché.

At the end of the books i didn't know whether i should be happy for them or not, to be sad or not, especially considering that Ciri wasn't or couldn't be with them. I couldn't be sure what i am suppose to do with that feeling, this uncertainty. It took days before i just accepted that it is how it is, not bad, but also not good.

And now at the end of the game they are just travelling through the world with no real destination, with no real goal, just living their life. It seems kinda vague again, but if i look at this fan art,

I don't need to know where they are going.
I don't need to know what they are doing there.
I don't need to know why they are doing it.

To know that they are somewhere out there looking like on this fan art i can imagine that both of them are finally at peace with the world and themselves, and that's enough for me to know this time.

Also Ciri is always reachable this time :)
I agree. I liked their ending sequence becaus it was what they always have wanted. So it was coherent and it fitted. Didn't like the way you get the ending in general, in other words, second half of Act 3. But speaking of their ending cutscene, yes they nailed it, and it was a lore friendly nod to their life wish, retired from all the mess, the politics, just the two of them (and yeah, Ciri), only... peace.

---------- Updated at 12:43 AM ----------

The climax that comes before something ends...and something new begins.

Something i think wasn't much covered in this topic here yet, but do you like their ending?

Because I could imagine that many don't like that it is so vague or that it is almost an "and they all lived happily ever after" cliché.

At the end of the books i didn't know whether i should be happy for them or not, to be sad or not, especially considering that Ciri wasn't or couldn't be with them. I couldn't be sure what i am suppose to do with that feeling, this uncertainty. It took days before i just accepted that it is how it is, not bad, but also not good.

And now at the end of the game they are just travelling through the world with no real destination, with no real goal, just living their life. It seems kinda vague again, but if i look at this fan art,

To know that they are somewhere out there looking like on this fan art i can imagine that both of them are finally at peace with the world and themselves, and that's enough for me to know this time.

I'm happy with the ending message, after all, any book reader knows that is what both of them wanted, to just get away from everything and lead a secluded life.

What would be really nice is if they extended the ending narration a little bit, changed those out of place comics with maybe in game screenshots of them doing things, and maybe the final picture could be of Geralt, Yen doing something and Ciri bursting through the door in a surprise visit, with the latest monster trophy.

Just to accentuate that the whole family is still together. Feels kinda weird they've separated Ciri's narration and Geralt's one, as if they will never see each other. This is following the book Geralt canon ending, where he allows Ciri to be free and she decides to become a witcheress.
Always thought that ending is fitting with Yen's path in Witcher 3.

"And this", Galahad asked after a while "is the end of the story?"

"Not at all," Ciri objected and rubbed one feet at the other in order to remove the sand that dried on her hands and soles. "Would you like a story to end like that?" No, not at all! Me not, at least!"

"So what happened?"

"What do you think?" she snorted. "They got married."

"Tell me."

"What to tell? It was a joyful feast. Everyone came together. Dandelion, mother Nenneke, Iola and Eurneid, Yarpen Zigrin, Vesemir, Eskel ... Coën, Milva, Angoulême ... and my Mistle ... I was there myself, ate and drank. And them, meaning Geralt and Yennefer, they had a house together later on and they were happy, very, very happy. Like in a fairytale. You get it?"

"Why do you cry, Lady of the Lake?"

"I don't cry at all. My eyes water due to the wind. And that's it!"

They were silent for a long time, watching the redly glowing sunball touching the mountain peaks.

Andrzej Sapkowski, The Lady of the Lake

I don't need to know where they are going.
I don't need to know what they are doing there.
I don't need to know why they are doing it.

I just take the ending as Dandelion ending his narration on a nice note (witcher ending is my first playthrough and canon)... and he has never been much of a reliable narrator so the future remains open for TW4 (I must be getting annoying with this):troll:

Eh, I think the dream those two wanted wasn't quite what they wanted.

Or, if they did, they'll get bored in a year or two.

The world has changed around them after all.

"And this", Galahad asked after a while "is the end of the story?"

"Not at all," Ciri objected and rubbed one feet at the other in order to remove the sand that dried on her hands and soles. "Would you like a story to end like that?" No, not at all! Me not, at least!"

"So what happened?"

"What do you think?" she snorted. "They got married."

"Tell me."

"What to tell? It was a joyful feast. Everyone came together. Dandelion, mother Nenneke, Iola and Eurneid, Yarpen Zigrin, Vesemir, Eskel ... Coën, Milva, Angoulême ... and my Mistle ... I was there myself, ate and drank. And them, meaning Geralt and Yennefer, they had a house together later on and they were happy, very, very happy. Like in a fairytale. You get it?"

"Why do you cry, Lady of the Lake?"

"I don't cry at all. My eyes water due to the wind. And that's it!"

They were silent for a long time, watching the redly glowing sunball touching the mountain peaks.

Andrzej Sapkowski, The Lady of the Lake

A beautiful passage and a clear window into Ciri's soul.

Who she considers dearest friends and family. I think we can safely say she is Geralt and Yen's number one fan! :)

Hi, I'm new here; book reader, played only W3.

I like Yen and Geralt book ending because it's consistent with Geralt's last wish - Y&G fate was binded, they found eachother even in death;

from "Something more" Geralt and Death chat:
(G) - Zabrałaś mi wszystko... / You've taken everything from me...
(D) - Nie przerwała. Ja niczego nie zabieram. Ja tylko biorę za rękę. Po to, by nikt nie był wówczas sam. Sam we mgle... Do zobaczenia, Geralcie z Rivii. Kiedyś. / “No,” she interrupted. “Me, I take nothing. I only take by the hand. So that no-one must be alone and lost in the fog... Goodbye, Geralt of Rivia. Some other day.”

from "Lady of the Lake":
"She climbed aboard the boat, which rocked and immediately began to move away from
the shore. It disappeared into the fog. Those on the shore did not hear the slightest splash and
there was no movement in the water. It was as if it had disappeared, like a ghost.
For a brief moment they saw the small silhouette of Ciri, they saw her sitting at the
bottom of the boat as it accelerated swiftly.
And then there was only fog."

Y&G together in the fog - I know it's cliche but i still like it. I also like that book ending is vague, open for interpretation for a reader and after all - it's happy :)

P.S. english is not my 1st language

I think I liked both of their endings at first. But then they both got me thinking for a very long time.

I would rather not spend next 3 hours of my life writing a wall of text so I'll try like 1-2 sentences.

The book ending was something I felt coming for a long period of time so I was actually kinda happy with how it went, could be a lot worse.
They found their peace and understanding after being finally reunited at Stygga and then thanks to Ciri even after they both died. :)

Witcher 3 was a scary fairy tale with a good (nice) ending. Perhaps too nice and peaceful for Geralts and Yens universe, but well deserved so I won't object to it.
Yeah, well deserved, but somehow I don't see how Geralt could drop contracts, even if it is for sex for half a day.

---------- Updated at 12:46 AM ----------

Every time I see 'Something Ends, Something Begins' I think of the first ending I got on TW3.

The bad ending, which was terrible and lacked any mention of Yen.

Liked the ending with Yen.

‘A house?’ Yennefer asked suddenly. ‘What house? Do you have a house? Do you wish to build a house? Ah... sorry. I should not...’
He was silent. He was angry with himself. Thinking about her had inadvertently allowed her to read the thoughts he harboured about it.
‘A beautiful dream.’ Yennefer lightly stroked his arm. ‘A house. A house built with your own hands and in the house you and me. You would raise horses and sheep, I would take care of the garden, food and Cardaria would weigh the wool that we would take to the market. From the orens that we would be given from the sale of the wool and various fruits of the earth we would by everything we need, say a little copper kettle and an iron rake. Every so often we would visit Ciri with her husband and their three children, sometimes Triss Merigold would come and to be with us for a few days. We could grow old with dignity. And if I get bored at night you would play the bagpipes made with your own hands. Playing the bagpipes, as everyone knows is the best remedy for the blues.’

Andrzej Sapkowski, Times of Contempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom