[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters

Guest 3782876

I didn't know what to expect from the endings, I ended up getting invested in the story from the beginning so I didn't even stop to analyze or imagine what end the journey would take, let alone take a critical look at the plot.
I have mixed feelings about the endings, in the general context, I think its fulfills its proposal, but in the smaller context, in some details, they make little sense.
Every ending has script conveniences that distort the logic of the rest of the proposal, maybe it's nitpicking, but for me, it affected the verisimilitude of the facts.

They could have worked more on these endings and epilogues, happy ending is not synonymous of a good ending, I think people should seek a good ending, well written, well tied, with logic, with verisimilitude, with minimal loose ends and few script conveniences and not a "happy ending".
I also don't want to be a hypocrite, I would also like to have a happy ending, but if it is bad and badly written, what good is it to have one?

If you think about The Witcher 3, we have a ''bad ending'' which is a ambiguous ending, I liked, It is not my favorite, but it is good, reminds me of the books and Cyberpunk 2077 endings has a similar approach, It’s not good, but it’s not that bad.

I for myself has not any complaints about short glory of NC legends. I think it's valid sign of total consumerism of CP's society - people always strive for more, new, shiny labels, things, drinks and legends. I have no problem with holowness and emptines of edgerunner's glory.
But if this was in-game joke ok, (like a t-shirt in GTA Vice City for completing 100% of the game). I get the concept of it and consumerism in general. I can even get the message that this was superficial to go for something like becoming a legend, but then the story is like this in every aspect.
It’s writhing off characters left and right (Jacki, Evelyn)
Endings are all bad, forced with plot cancer to show that this whole story is about futility.

I don’t buy this, won’t buy this. There are just so many games that done this properly, so why any player should bother?
Post automatically merged:

I didn't know what to expect from the endings, I ended up getting invested in the story from the beginning so I didn't even stop to analyze or imagine what end the journey would take, let alone take a critical look at the plot.
I have mixed feelings about the endings, in the general context, I think its fulfills its proposal, but in the smaller context, in some details, they make little sense.
Every ending has script conveniences that distort the logic of the rest of the proposal, maybe it's nitpicking, but for me, it affected the verisimilitude of the facts.

They could have worked more on these endings and epilogues, happy ending is not synonymous of a good ending, I think people should seek a good ending, well written, well tied, with logic, with verisimilitude, with minimal loose ends and few script conveniences and not a "happy ending".
I also don't want to be a hypocrite, I would also like to have a happy ending, but if it is bad and badly written, what good is it to have one?

If you think about The Witcher 3, we have a ''bad ending'' which is a ambiguous ending, I liked, It is not my favorite, but it is good, reminds me of the books and Cyberpunk 2077 endings has a similar approach, It’s not good, but it’s not that bad.
For me bittersweet ending that make sense and is logical lore-wise would be great.

Yet none of this endings are like this and if this is not enough that make this game completely no-replayable.
Both because you can just choose a different ending on RGB phone at the end plus the fact that all endings ends up in the same dumpsink/aka with plot cancer that will kill main character in the end.

On the other hand it doesn’t care about MC, since in proper story his/her death is always as a mean to and end. Here it’s the end itself, that just distort proper storytelling.

Last edited:
But if this was in-game joke ok, (like a t-shirt in GTA Vice City for completing 100% of the game). I get the concept of it and consumerism in general. I can even get the message that this was superficial to go for something like becoming a legend, but then the story is like this in every aspect.
It’s writhing off characters left and right (Jacki, Evelyn)
Endings are all bad, forced with plot cancer to show that this whole story is about futility.

I don’t buy this, won’t buy this. There are just so many games that done this properly, so why any player should bother?
I agree about endings, you know that. At leas V should be able to save himself, and his friends/beloved. Or sacrifice them for quickly fading glory, wealth and status, if players feels that way.
We haven't even been given the freedom to roleplay utter sociopath and bastard with no friends at all, so in the end no one will be upset by V's death. And now the game like "Choose where, and whim whom, you will die, and who you will upset by it. Oh, and don't you dare to commit suicide, because it that case voicmails will tear your hurt. Or give body to Johnny, because this coward will not even tell everyone about what happened, and voicemail will tear your hurt".

"Probably" is actually "maybe". In both the Nomads ending and The V is a Legend ending you are chasing the "hope" of a cure. Those endings provide hope. They do not provide proof of an actual cure.

I also don't really consider V joining the other collections of data beyond the black wall as immortality. If you do, that's fine, but Alt says multiple times across many conversations that she is not Alt Cunningham anymore. Just as V would not be V anymore after time spent in cyberspace. More than that, it's not a satisfying ending to many players. Otherwise we wouldn't have hundreds of pages of this, right?

I wouldn't put the "V is NC Legend" to the hope list.

The whole ending is more about, that V accepted the situation and is just looking to leave earth in the most epic way possible. Not really caring about a cure.

Contradicting to that is the single moment when V cares about Mr. Blues Eyes side of the bargain, a promise.

Just to tell Mr Blue Eyes later in the shuttle, that the time is long gone to gain something, now, there nothing to lose? That makes no sense if you ask me.

To everyone complaining about the Panam ending not being 'happy' enough I highly encourage you to go back, reload the savefile and do that ending all over again. But this time, pay attention to all the little details. There are many details littered throughout hinting why this is a better ending than you think (e.g. Tarots) but I'll give you a less obvious example. When you're at the tent where the Basilisk is there's a data pad called 'The Iliad'.

Here's what it says and i've added my interpretation in brackets:
  • "If I abide here and war about the city of Trojans [Night City], then lost is my home [Mother Nature with the Aldecaldos], but my renown shall be imperishable [maintain a strong reputation in Night City - this is basically the Johnny ending].
  • "But if I return home [Mother Nature] to my dear native land [the great outdoors] then lost is my glorious renown [NC reputation], yet shall my life long endure, neither shall the doom of death come soon upon me."

This poem in my opinion is proof that the Aldecaldos ending is happy and that V will probably be cured in an expansion. Especially when it corroborates with what Misty says.

Just because an ending isn't happy at face value doesn't make it automatically bad! You need to pay attention to the little details.
It seems you missed the Mike Pondsmith quotes I posted recently, where he talks about the ending of the movie Bladerunner. If you look at it, you can draw the comparison with Cyberpunk, Deckard (V), escapes LA (NC), with his love interest Rachel (Panam). In case you weren't aware, that ending was final and had no continuation.

I don't care about a future expansion or little "hints", I don't want this ending to be happy either, quite the opposite actually, it's a cheap excuse at a "happy" ending (same for NC Legend). Also, if you need to "go back and look" then you are admitting that the ending is objectively BAD.

If someone watches a movie at a theater and thinks that it had a bad ending, they don't go back to watch again. If you need an explanation to change your mind then the ending was badly done from the beginning. We are also ignoring the fact that those hints don't even provide any conclusive evidence for the existence of a cure/expansion, making the argument even more flawed.

Last edited:
it's a cheap excuse at a "happy" ending
And why is that? V get no glory, no wealth, he must run Night City, never to return, and live the rest of his life with techno-barbarians among dust and sand. This is a fine good ending by me, freedom and brotherhood at the price of glory, wealth and civilized life you, obviously, cheerish so high)

Would it be weird to say that if you can change your mind about and ending between it being good or bad that the ending is at least inconclusive by default? (Not to say bad straight up)
I would reckon an ending should say: and this is what it, dot.end

Add to that, i mean then the moral direction mostly.

Would it be weird to say that if you can change your mind about and ending between it being good or bad that the ending is at least inconclusive by default? (Not to say bad straight up)

I like Dishonored, where your ending was determined by your entire gameplay and choices throughout entire game, not by 2 sidequest chains and dialog option right before ending sequence.

And why is that? V get no glory, no wealth, he must run Night City, never to return, and live the rest of his life with techno-barbarians among dust and sand. This is a fine good ending by me, freedom and brotherhood at the price of glory, wealth and civilized life you, obviously, cheerish so high)
Because it's a cutscene with no buildup or player involvement, it was not earned. Similar to the 30 secs Jackie montage, "me and Jackie are best friends because I watched this 30 secs cutscene". That's not how it works.

You didn't choose to leave NC, you chose to go to back to your body, but now for some reason, you are also leaving NC. Idk how players are not seeing the problem here? I'm playing an RPG to make my own choices, not to watch cutscenes I have no control over.

It's objectively bad, because it negates what the story tried to achieve and because it makes basically all losses and sacrifices meaningless.
It's objectively bad, because it retcons existing lore and principles just to ham fist the story into a certain direction.
It's objectively bad, because the epilogues don't have a clear structure and basically are an animated part of the endings and not really an epilogue, where you should reflect on the events and outcome of the story.

The logical outcome for the story should have been a V living without strings attached. The negative downsides should have been the social aspect. Death friends (oh snap - V does not even have lots of friends outside of Vic, misty and the love interests), loss of Johnny, sozial isolation, loss of reputation (who wants to hire a fucking terrorist?), crushed body, implications of survivors guilt and ptsd...

Because it's a cutscene with no buildup or player participation, it was not earned
Probably i don't know a thing about narration laws, immersion and other stuff, unlike you.
For me, except 6 months idiocy, the nomad endings was good. Not happyhereafter, but just good.
The other endings, in my opinion, should be replaced by just one - V became rich, famous merc, but also new Arasaka top hitman, taking the job of indisposed Smasher. Wealth, fame, status, future, but no real freedom for loyal Arasaka lapdog. That's the price of edgerunner's dream came true.

loss of reputation
Yeah, and a hint of that was in the game, where Rogue tells V that aftet the Heist disaster V is considered cursed and no one want to work with him. That's why V does gigs alone - no one want to share the fate of Jackie, T-Bug or Dex))

You didn't choose to leave NC, you chose to go to back to your body, but now for some reason, you are also leaving NC. Idk how players are not seeing the problem here? I'm playing an RPG to make my own choices, not to watch cutscenes I have no control over.
Ah, this is different aspect i agree with. Why can't V storm Mikoshi with nomads, and then stay in NC, or vice versa, storm alone and then join nomands, is beyond me. Still, you just like NC, don't like nomads and was furious when plot forced your V to join them, admit it))

Ah, this is different aspect i agree with. Why can't V storm Mikoshi with nomads, and then stay in NC, or vice versa, storm alone and then join nomands, is beyond me. Still, you just like NC, don't like nomads and was furious when plot forced your V to join them, admit it))
I played all endings (Arasaka first), all of them are equally bad to me for different reasons

I played all endings (Arasaka first), all of them are equally bad to me for different reasons
No arguement here, all of them are bad indeed. And i doubt they'll be fixed in any way, because the vast majority of players (according to a Steam and Gog statistics) will not finish the game at all, so will not complain about endings. Only 34% of players talked to Hanako in Embers, a mere 3 percents completed all markers (gigs, NCPD signals). So we better forget the hope for the more players reach the endings and join our protest - they won't, and number of players online are in a freefall and keeps diminishing.

It's objectively bad, because it negates what the story tried to achieve and because it makes basically all losses and sacrifices meaningless.
It's objectively bad, because it retcons existing lore and principles just to ham fist the story into a certain direction.
It's objectively bad, because the epilogues don't have a clear structure and basically are an animated part of the endings and not really an epilogue, where you should reflect on the events and outcome of the story.

The logical outcome for the story should have been a V living without strings attached. The negative downsides should have been the social aspect. Death friends (oh snap - V does not even have lots of friends outside of Vic, misty and the love interests), loss of Johnny, sozial isolation, loss of reputation (who wants to hire a fucking terrorist?), crushed body, implications of survivors guilt and ptsd...
That was also exactly what I meant by that. The story has you running a certain direction. And then the ending should capitalize. But what we got is.. "if you look at it from view A its this, but if you look from view B its that" and so on.

Therefore I said, and I will reinforce it. If the ending is subject to points of view, where at least 1 pov is not aligned with all that came before, then the ending is bad.

Because it's a cutscene with no buildup or player involvement, it was not earned. Similar to the 30 secs Jackie montage, "me and Jackie are best friends because I watched this 30 secs cutscene". That's not how it works.

The game was forcing hard the whole concept of Happy lalaland country side, both with Nomads and with badlands ending. It didn’t escape ofc the plot cancer but it was the least grimdank.

Still for me in the game about “choices” and “shaping your story” it was terrible, since I would never leave big city to live in the rural parts.
But we all know what this game thinks about anything other than story rails and Johnny - unimportant to be written off once it outlives its usefulness to the both objectives of the game.

Top Bottom