A good reminder for CDPR how to make a CRPG

+
Marketing, that's why... just as the useless choice of genitals or the inclusion of a major Hollywood star. Seriously, they could have done ANYTHING with this IP, so much potential, and what did they do? The bare minimum... in any direction other then marketability... good job.
Yep and there is the point! It's a **** cyberpunk game a ***** open world game and a medium looter-shooter game

Do your self a favour and just google CRPG and see what king of RPG games come up, or even check the steam category, before you make silly claims... A CRPG are games like POE2, Planescape, Divinity Original Sin, Wastlanders 3... etc, still not seeing a pattern here?

2020-12-23 172616.png

You were right. Google did make it pretty clear. Then again, it was pretty clear from the get go.

Guys guys I think I cracked it. Been wondering about what actually makes an RPG since people are often so divided about that.

Final Fantasy 7 is a JRPG.
Skyrim is a RPG.

Right?

So basically both are RPGs but there's a big difference between those two and that's found in the game design.

FFVII presents you a carefully crafted story that you will experience.
Skyrim presents you a carefully crafted world that you will experience.

So while they both could be classified as roleplaying games the whole design philosophy is different. And I guess that's why we often think that RPG ain't an RPG unless we get to decide, we get to experience. Since that's what we expect in our RPGs. Not that the story-telling style of JRPGs is necessarily worse or RPG-lite, just that it has a different emphasis.

In Baldur's Gate or Skyrim you're whoever you want to be and are only attributed with this meta-element of Bhaalspawn or Dragonborn. Design like this gives the player a lot more freedom for personal expression.

So CP2077 follows more in the footsteps of JRPGs with having a pre-set protagonist and a on-rails story. Technically it isn't very different from FFVII, really.

Although.... As CDPR classifies Cyberpunk as action adventure, and internet calls it action role playing or rpg, I guess it's actually an ARPG. Diablo clone confirmed :oops:

Semantics. We all see RPG as different things so it's become this subjective term.

The trend of Common-uncommon-Epic-Legend is a RPG mechanic, and a lot of non RPG games have a lot of these RPG mechanics.

If Pen and Paper is pure RPG then almost zero games comes close to it, in Witcher you are a Witcher, not whatever TF you want to be therefore Witcher is not an RPG, nor is any of the dnd system based games.

For me a game is classed as an RPG if you have some choices and if there is a substantial amount of inventory management and/or skill management that let's you play the game in different ways.

It was bait and switch. Now even CDPR doesn't call CP77 RPG. Quote from their twitter: "Welcome to the official Twitter account of Cyberpunk 2077 — an open-world, action-adventure story developed by @CDPROJEKTRED"
Action adventure is a qualifier on the story, not the game. It is undoubtedly an action-adventure story. In my opinion, it is also an aRPG (action Role Playing Game - much like TW3 was and aRPG).

Before I go further, I want to say that I really do feel like we try too hard to fit games into genre boxes. RPG isn't super helpful as a descriptor other than from a 10,000 foot marketing level for players, because no one can seem to agree on the specifics about what makes an RPG an RPG. Most of the time we can get it down to some combination of choices and consequences and stats impacting gameplay ... but more specific than that and it all falls apart.

1. Choices and Consequences - Cyberpunk 2077 has a non-linear branching narrative that is impacted by character choices for both some individual quests as well as the main questline. Built into that is a very good branching dialogue system that is frequently heavily flavored by background or stats. All those choices fit within the range of outcomes CDPR thought was appropriate for the stories they wanted to tell, but it's undeniable there are choices there that have consequences to the story. This is the most important aspect of any RPG IMO.

2. Character Creation / Progression / Mechanics - It has a character creation and progression system that allows for the character to become more proficient at overcoming challenges throughout the story using a variety of play styles in navigating the world and level design. Once again, those progression systems all fit within a range that CDPR wanted to tell it's story, but they are undeniably there.

Now it's not a "be whatever you want to be, do whatever you want to do" RPG, but CDPR has said for a long time that story comes first in this game. That means the possibilities for the player character have to fit within that narrative they want to tell, just like TW3. CDPR's whole thing since they started making games is trying to blend (a) great stories with (b) fun gameplay using (c) RPG mechanics. That requires some compromises for each of those three things.

Now the RPG systems may not be there to the degree that some players would prefer, but they are there. You can of course argue it's the the illusion of choice instead of "real" choice, or the illusion of progression rather than "real" progression, but those are arguments about the amount of those features rather than if they are there at all. That fact that they are there, and reasonably robust (IMO), means that it's definitely an RPG for me.

TLDR; In my opinion it's definitely an RPG and an action-adventure story. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Action adventure is a qualifier on the story, not the game. It is undoubtedly an action-adventure story. In my opinion, it is also an aRPG (action Role Playing Game - much like TW3 was and aRPG).

Before I go further, I want to say that I really do feel like we try too hard to fit games into genre boxes. RPG isn't super helpful as a descriptor other than from a 10,000 foot marketing level for players, because no one can seem to agree on the specifics about what makes an RPG and RPG. Most of the time we can get it down to some combination of choices and consequences and stats impacting gameplay ... but more specific than that and it all falls apart.

1. Choices and Consequences - Cyberpunk 2077 has a non-linear branching narrative that is impacted by character choices for both some individual quests as well as the main questline. Built into that is a very good branching dialogue system that is frequently heavily flavored by background or stats. All those choices fit within the range of outcomes CDPR thought was appropriate for the stories they wanted to tell, but it's undeniable there are choices there that have consequences to the story. This is the most important aspect of any RPG IMO.

2. Character Creation / Progression / Mechanics - It has a character creation and progression system that allows for the character to become more proficient at overcoming challenges throughout the story using a variety of play styles in navigating the world and level design. Once again, those progression systems all fit within a range that CDPR wanted to tell it's story, but they are undeniably there.

Now it's not a "be whatever you want to be, do whatever you want to do" RPG, but CDPR has said for a long time that story comes first in this game. That means the possibilities for the player character have to fit within that narrative they want to tell, just like TW3. CDPR's whole thing since they started making games is trying to blend (a) great stories with (b) fun gameplay using (c) RPG mechanics. That requires some compromises for each of those three things.

Now the RPG systems may not be there to the degree that some players would prefer, but they are there. You can of course argue it's the the illusion of choice instead of "real" choice, or the illusion of progression rather than "real" progression, but those are arguments about the amount of those features rather than if they are there at all. That fact that they are there, and reasonably robust (IMO), means that it's definitely an RPG for me.

TLDR; In my opinion it's definitely an RPG and an action-adventure story. Those aren't mutually exclusive.
Ok let's play your game. It's a 0 ****** Rpg game with a mediocre action-adventure story. Nice. But hey where is the open world?

I don't consider the Witcher games RPGs either. Why? Because you are playing a preset character and if, like me, you read the books, it becomes obvious that the choices and dialogue in those game is made based on "what would Geralt say and do" and then there's "the other options".

Can't you see the difference? Yes, the plot remains the same in both cases, but in the first case the player's decisions are important, in the second they are not.
I don't remember someone from CDPR said (Badowski?) that forking the game in Witcher 2 was an interesting experiment, but in the end it was a mistake and not worth it. I can't find the quote. Maybe it was in biographic movie about CDPR or... I don't know.

I remember how they advertised freedom of quests in CP77 and how they wanted to predict any action that a player could take like you can go eat a hamburger instead of following a person and quest will have a different outcome... Is it still in?

I remember how they advertised freedom of quests in CP77 and how they wanted to predict any action that a player could take like you can go eat a hamburger instead of following a person and quest will have a different outcome... Is it still in?
I really liked the quest design in The Witcher 3. You could improvise within a quest and get unique scenes for it. For example, if you don't meet O Dim in Hearts of Stone after the shipwreck, you'll then have a new scene with him and dialogue with his reaction to your actions.
So I was very happy when I heard that CDPR will go even further in Cyberpunk.
In the end, I didn't find anything like that in the game. The quests became more linear than in The Witcher 3 and the game doesn't take into account the player's actions. For example, if you examine Evelyn's room before the dialogue with the witness, V will still ask "Where is this room?"

Last edited:
Extremely subjective. You might find it yawn-inducing and cringeworthy. Many including myself found it to be stellar and intriguing down to the hundreds of readable shards. Open-world is also there. You can buy and sell, explore and discover, track and solve mysteries, rescue people, steal shit, have sex, collect cars, pose and take photos, do parkour, talk to a talking gun, and take part in mini-games like boxing. racing, and shooting ranges. It's just not a sandbox like gta that has a much lesser population density and has less verticality but has better physics and AI or Skyrim where you can pick up buckets and put on people's heads.

Yeah, I tried it. it's still in among other things that are not. You can pretty much leave most conversations hanging and do more than just buy burgers. Too bad there are no eating or drinking animations though.. consuming from the inventory doesn't even have audio feedback. You just get the effect of being drunk or a timed stamina/health buff. But I'm not that worried cause TW3 never had it as well but modders implemented it later even during combat.

Last edited:

Dosen't look like it is, sadly.

Guys/Girls

Poor Mike Pondsmith made a big mistake that gave the IP for this company. If he make requirements for CDPR what they can do and what not with the IP just like wizards of the coast did this to Larian this whole situation is not happening.

:(

Last edited:
It's still top down view and pretty much click and point to move your character and interact with the world, i'd argue it's still isometric but its nice to have the 3D touch
You don't understand the definition of isometric projection.

Did you just say Skyrim wasn't an RPG lol?
Where did I say that? Skyrim is a FPRPG (First Person RPG), not CRPG, which is defined by leading a party of characters.

The name CRPG it's just a term for RPG playing on a computer game.
It used to be but not anymore. Right now it stands for the Classic (computer) RPG because of the various types of RPGs that exist nowadays.

You could argue that TW3 is not an ARPG.

Diablo 1,2,3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing to name a few are ARPG's. Some argue that Dark Souls series is not rpg.

In Cyberpunk you play V's story. In Skyrim you are the dragonborn, in Deus Ex HD and MR you are Adam Jensen so on that premise they are also not RPG's.

Icewind Dale are in your opinion mediorce games, in my opinion they are very good games.
1. Diablo 1,2,3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing etc. are Hack'n'Slash games, as well as Dark Souls. They are defined by combat system taken from RPGs but with everything else left out.

Divine Divinity is what Diablo would have looked like if it were full scale RPG. DD combat plays like Diablo clone but the game has quests, dialogues, branching, and all that necessary RPG elements that define RPGs as such.

2. I have no problem with story-driven RPGs. Definition of RPG includes branching story and choice how to act. In CP77, for example, it doesn't matter what you choose with an exception with one of the first quests which was shown on E3. But that was a marketing ploy. In TW3 quests have very different outcomes depending on what you choose despite the main narrative staying the same.

3. I guess you just have a nostalgia of those games. Last year I replayed all old classics from that list and IWD games stood out of that group very unfavorably. But, by all means, I don't discourage you to like them.
Post automatically merged:

I don't remember someone from CDPR said (Badowski?) that forking the game in Witcher 2 was an interesting experiment, but in the end it was a mistake and not worth it. I can't find the quote. Maybe it was in biographic movie about CDPR or... I don't know.
That was not about forking of quests, it was about making the whole game different from Act 2. TW2 is like 2 games in 1. Staring with act 2 what is happening is absolutely different depending on which side you choose. Almost every single quest is different. I know people who haven't even seen half of the game because they didn't replay the game from Act 2 choosing the other option.

It's not even close to that in CP77. In TW3 it was actually done in several quests. For example, there is a quest where Yennefer and Geralt meet in the brothel with a guy whom they question. The guy starts running away and Geralt needs to catch him. Funny thing, if you ignore the chase and start fooling around, Yennefer will catch him herself with unique cut scene how she uses magic to catch him. I didn't know that such option even possible until I've seen this on Youtube.
Post automatically merged:

...(wall of text)...
Why then did they deliberately changed the description on Twitter? Because last year the description in their Twitter stated action role-playing game and they specifically removed that description and substituted it to action-adventure story. You know, you don't have to defend CDPR even being the moderator on this forum when they clearly misled the public.
Here's the link to internet archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20190119181511if_/https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame

Last edited:
1. Diablo 1,2,3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing etc. are Hack'n'Slash games, as well as Dark Souls. They are defined by combat system taken from RPGs but with everything else left out.

They are ARPG's or loot based ARPG's. You could also add in The Division, Borderlands, Dead Cells etc.

Hack n Slash are Dante's Inferno, Bloodrayne, Darksiders Genesis, Heavenly Sword, Neir Automata, Devil May Cry etc.

I have no problem with story-driven RPGs. Definition of RPG includes branching story and choice how to act. In CP77, for example, it doesn't matter what you choose with an exception with one of the first quests which was shown on E3. But that was a marketing ploy. In TW3 quests have very different outcomes depending on what you choose despite the main narrative staying the same.

You experience of Cyberpunk is not the same as mine. I see Deus Ex HD and MR as action, stealth games as an example.

guess you just have a nostalgia of those games. Last year I replayed all old classics from that list and IWD games stood out of that group very unfavorably. But, by all means, I don't discourage you to like them.

I play them because I rate them highly and not because I have rose tinted glasses nor feel nostalgic when I play them, but more importantly I do not need your approval for any choice I make.

I play them because I rate them highly and not because I have rose tinted glasses nor feel nostalgic when I play them, but more importantly I do not need your approval for any choice I make.
Approval? You can play and value highly whatever you want, but that doesn't make those games good RPGs. RPG has a set of features. Well fleshed out features with attention to details makes the RPG great, shallow or non-existing features and lack of details makes them not good, objectively. IWD has just combat all the time with pretty dull plot and has no interesting or unique elements.

CP 2020 story is a fast action movie but not a deep RPG.
Has anyone noticed that they have removed the RPG terminology from many of their social networks?:confused: Now they call it an open world action game, what have you sold us? do you know at least? modeling tools now !!!

Top Bottom