Absolutly massive frame skipping!

+
Those of you with fresh installations of Windows - have you gone through it to turn off the unnecessary processes and services? Windows installs with so much junk running that I'm surprised sometimes that it can even run a browser.

Duplicate post for some reason, deleted.

Also wanted to add that last night when I made my third post into this thread that I was very tired and did not check to see if I had already responded in this thread previously. So, apologies for posting so much into this thread...;)

I did, however, mean to reply to dragonbird below...;)

dragonbird said:
Those of you with fresh installations of Windows - have you gone through it to turn off the unnecessary processes and services? Windows installs with so much junk running that I'm surprised sometimes that it can even run a browser.

Heh...;) That really hasn't been much of problem in the last decade. Things like Game Booster are fine if you don't have enough system ram, and that's really what programs like that are designed for. If you have enough ram programs like that don't help and may even hurt, as they attempt to shut down services the program doesn't "think" you need while playing a game, so as to conserve your physical ram for the game, and then turn them all back on when you exit the game. In practice, the behavior of the program is not nearly that neat and tidy. And, services and processes generally are not "junk" but rather provide specific functionality which you may need at some point.

In example, the difference between what OS X runs at boot and what Windows 7 runs at boot are not radical in terms of the number of things being done and run--it's just that Windows lets you see under the hood and OS X is designed to obscure what's under the hood so that you won't see it. I remember years ago having to disclose to a Mac user the fact that the Mac OS contained hardware drivers for its hardware, just like Windows. It was very painful for him...as since he couldn't see the drivers and individually install/uninstall them himself right from the Mac OS GUI, he had reached the erroneous conclusion that the Mac OS did not employ any hardware drivers. When he was made aware of the existence of Mac OS hardware drivers "just like Windows uses", it wasn't a pretty sight, let me tell you...;)

For instance, I'm running with the Win7x64 default services all on and a few more besides, and out of my 4 gigs of system ram I am presently consuming 0% cpu and 1.67 gigs of system ram--and I have three browsers open at the moment--Firefox, IE9, and Chrome. Basically, anyone running Vista/Win7 should simply double the amount of ram he was using under WinXP and he'll be fine, ie, if you used 2 gigs for WinXP then run with 4 gigs in Vista/WIn7, especially if you are using 64-bit versions of these OSes. Ram is very cheap these days--you are reading the ravings of someone who remembers paying ~$100 per MEGabyte for really, really *slow* ram (compared with DDR2/3 today, of course.) That tends to give a person perspective...:D

I have the same problem. Looking around with the mouse seems to go smooth but when Geralt walks or runs, massive stuttering and really jerky animations. It seems to occur regardless of settings and with good framerate. I've seen some other topics of people describing this problem exclusive to the tutorial level. I haven't played the story mode yet with 2.0 so I'd have to test it.

Processor : AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 @ 3.4GHz
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Memory : 8GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz
Graphics card : AMD Radeon HD 6870 (Catalyst 9.11)
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Guys, try out what I said about playing in Windowed Mode ( disable full screen at the graphic options ) and see if you still get the stutter and then report back please!

Blinckk said:
Guys, try out what I said about playing in Windowed Mode ( disable full screen at the graphic options ) and see if you still get the stutter and then report back please!

I tried playing the tutorial level on windows mode with the settings I normally play on (ultra without ubersampling at 1920x1200) and indeed the stuttering is almost completely gone during gameplay. But now it skips occasionally during cutscenes and also the picture/screen seems to stretch/shift horizontally during those skips.

I tried playing in windowed mode and i still have the same stuttering.

Thanks for reporting here GrimReaper.

Its the running that makes animations go jerky like hell. Walking doesnt have as much frame skipping (although i guess it does have a little bit, but it seems its less noticable).

WaltC said:
Heh...;) That really hasn't been much of problem in the last decade. Things like Game Booster are fine if you don't have enough system ram, and that's really what programs like that are designed for. If you have enough ram programs like that don't help and may even hurt, as they attempt to shut down services the program doesn't "think" you need while playing a game, so as to conserve your physical ram for the game, and then turn them all back on when you exit the game. In practice, the behavior of the program is not nearly that neat and tidy. And, services and processes generally are not "junk" but rather provide specific functionality which you may need at some point.

I agree that the services set on are OK for a "normal" user who isn't using their PC for gaming or other challenging processing, and if you're not getting stuttering (and yes, I was exaggerating a bit :) ). But if someone has an adequate GPU, and has gone through the graphics settings and tweaked, and is still getting these types of problems, we seem to be seeing a lot of cases where the problem lies in background processes/services. That's when products like Gamebooster seem to be working.

You have to have a very weak system in general for any service to cause trouble.

I think some of you need to understand that games like Crysis 2, Bad Company 2, Deus Ex, Assassins Creed II etc etc etc run amazingly well.

In fact, FPS wise Witcher 2 runs well as well.

Problem is frame skipping and frame skipping only. If a service would cause it, it would cause it in another game as well since I am an avid gamer i would notice it by now.

But no, its a specific Witcher 2 issue, and since others have reported this in this very thread, all having very decent computers, i dont see it being anything but a game problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ25xqxCBDc

THIS is exactly what i get (its not my video). Throughout the entire game. Notice how performance seems smooth, yet it SKIPS frames, meaning camera jummps back and fourth. And its even worse than that video shows when actually playing as it happens constantly. Can you understand my frustration? Its a widespread problem and you can find people reporting this on basicly any forum discussing this game.

I also have this horrible frameskip bug.
When I turn vsync of its maximum skipping.

SysSpecs:
intel Core2 Quad Q9650 (4x3Ghz)
8GB RAM
ati Radeon HD 5870
Win7 x64 SP1 all backround processes disabled as possible

it looks like the higher the framerate, the higher the frameskip-lag

Dannyns said:
Hi!

I´ve owned this game since release day, and since then i have played this game with absolutly record-breaking amounts of frame skipping.

First, my system:
AMD Phenom II 965 @ 4.0GHz 2.76GHz CPU-NB (I have of course tried playing it with no overclock aswell)
OCZ Black Edition RAM DDR3-1840 8-8-8-24 (its overclocked spec, i have tried playing with standard 1600 7-7-7-24)
AMD HD 4890 1GB (no overclocking, using latest 11.8 drivers but have been the same with every driver since release)
ASUS Crosshair III Formula
Samsung F3 500GB Harddrive.

I get frameskipping no matter what settings i use. Even on absolute minimal settings (low spec, low resolution etc etc) i get loads of frameskipping when running around (not as noticable when walking) everywhere really but absolutly record-breaking in flotsam forrest.

Its just not fun watching the game play like this. And there is nothing i can do about it on my end unless getting a GTX 580 fixes this. I have tried all options, all tweaks etc.

IMO the ONLY way to fix this issue, is for the developers to include a "max frames to render ahead" option in the configurator. Nvidia users have this setting in driver-level (not sure if it helps them).

Games like ArmA II/Operation arrowhead aswell as Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor (2010 game) have this option in their .ini files for the same reason - frame skipping and mouselag

Lowering this to "1 frame" or even "0 frames" (ie, CPU cannot render ahead of the GPU) totally fixes frameskipping in said games.

Please fix this issue, it is really driving me mad. The game CONSTANTLY jumps back and forth because of skipped frames. I am not sure if this is an AMD bug or game bug, either way if CDP finds its AMD related, they should tell them about it as AMD will never fix this one themselves. Please help a frustrated witcher 2 fan.

I have been having massive frame rate drops as well.

Hi
I think I might know what's causing frame skipping (like the video above) and massive fps drops from time to time (massive fps drops: the game kind of pauses for half a second (and longer) and can do so for a minute with short intervals between each pause, after the game stops pausing the game runs smooth in the same location).

I have a Ati 4890 1024mb in Crossfire with a Ati 4870 512mb. With this combination I don't get frame skipping, if I do it's minimal. With my Crossifre setup, 512mb graphics memory can be used in total. 512mb on each graphics card but they both need to load the same into each graphics memory, so it's like having two graphics card with 512mb total graphics memory, that's how I've understood it. The massive fps drops that I explained is however present when using Crossifre and that may be due to the graphics memory, because changing the advanced graphics option "Texture Memory Size" from "Very large" to "Very small" seem to make a big difference so far.

When disabling Crossfire and therefore only using one graphics card, the Ati 4890 1024mb, I get frame skipping but I do not get massive fps drops like I do with Crossfire. Notice that playing without Crossfire the graphics card can use twice the amount of graphics memory than with Crossifre, however only one GPU is used.

Like someone mentioned in this forum or another, the reason to the frame skipping could be the CPU rendering so fast that the GPU can't keep up with it. Using two GPUs in Crossfire should keep up better with the CPU than when using one GPU, possibly explaining why the frame skipping disappears when I enable Crossfire.

The reason to massive fps drops is probably the graphics memory which need to be matched with a corresponding "Texture Memory Size" in the advanced graphics option. Update: On a second note, I do wonder why I sometimes get massive fps drops and sometimes not (in the same location) when the "Texure Memory Size" option is set to "Very large". Shouldn't the graphics memory get empty when I restart my computer? Sometimes the first time I play in a location since computer restart I don't get massive fps drops (only minimal), other times I do.

The patch 2.0 could have introduced a lot of CPU optimizing while not so much GPU optimizing. This could be why the patch 2.0 has introduced frame skipping or made it worse. I don't know, I started playing with patch 2.0.

If any of you have a multi-core CPU you could try disabling a core or two if it's possible and see if that fixes the stuttering. It should in theory balance out the relation between the GPU and CPU rendering.

Good luck!

I have played with the texture memory size, it does not help at all (frame-skips massivly on any setting).

PLEASE CDPR, if anyone from you guys is reading this thread can we get any response whatsoever? Ask questions, i´ll try to answer. Anything, just help.

I mean we have had a few already stating they have the same frameskipping, a few calling the game unplayable even.

I hate this bug with a passion, why does it have to be in my favorite game?

The "Texture Memory Size" may not help fix the frame skip problem but it does seem to fix the massive fps drops problem.

Here's a post that seems to have some good tips: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27892627&postcount=452

His computer looks very close to mine, so I'll try it out, although I don't have a lot of time for gaming during the week. If anyone else gives it a shot, let us know how it turns out!

Boomonster said:
Here's a post that seems to have some good tips: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27892627&postcount=452

His computer looks very close to mine, so I'll try it out, although I don't have a lot of time for gaming during the week. If anyone else gives it a shot, let us know how it turns out!

Similarly on my AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, while playing gamesall the time I use a program called 'Kstat10' to set my CPU at a constant speed rather than have it fidget up/down like an unstable cocktail as per load or thermal usage.

Mentioned here: http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/06/k10stat-amd-griffin-processor.html
Download here: http://sites.google.com/site/k10stat/

See if setting a constant speed, eliminates shuttering!.

Note:

My settings for 'Kstat10', which I use instead of default up/down clock settings:
Forced P0 state: 3400Mhz, 1.2500CPUv, 1.1000NBv (I have never used this speed, EVER)
Forced P1 state: 2700Mhz, 0.9875CPUv, 1.0000NBv (I use this state/speed to play Witcher2, GTA4, or heavy CPU bound games)
Forced P2 state: 2200Mhz, 0.8500CPUv, 0.9250NBv (I use this while playing other games, includes Deus EX Human Revolution, Baldurs Gate Triology, Dragon Age, Mass Effect(1&2), etc etc)
Forced P3 state: 0800Mhz, 0.7000CPUv, 0.8759NBv (This is my idle speed, used from playing videos, music, browsing etc etc etc)

Thats useful for laptops etc, but i have a desktop PC without Cool n Quiet etc. My CPU runs at 4GHz all the time, and as said many times, ONLY the witcher 2 experience these frame drops.

And i mean, theres others with very powerful hardware reporting the issue here, it simply cannot be anything but the game rendering.

Frame drops as in FPS drops? No, performance is fine. Its simply frame skipping. Constant 40fps with massive frameskipping. Thats what i experience, and thats whats annoying - check the video above for example. That happens constantly when running around for me, its NEVER EVER smooth. My whole experience with withcer 2 has been a frameskipping hell.

I would choose low fps without frame skipping ANY day of the year. I just want Geralt to run normally, i hate this bug, i really do.

I had the same issue, about 30fps with medium settings 1600x900, but with annoying stuttering. Anything higher than medium it was pure hell to play.

Then I bumbed into this fix in another forum: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EO4GKZL
I don't exactly know what it does, but after I applied it (in the witcher2/bin/ folder), the game started working like a dream. Now I can run the game with ultra settings(w/o ubersampling),1920x1080 and get very smooth 30fps gameplay :)

Edit: Oh and I have a SAPPHIRE RADEON HD6870 GPU.

Top Bottom