Advice on Playing Previous Witcher Games after The Witcher III.

+
Tw2s strength is its politics, tighter and better overall storyline and how amazing the route lead characters(Roche and Iorveth) are

Both games have their pros and cons., I only give TW3 a slight edge because of Kaer Morhen but play TW2 for sure. After the prologue the game opens up with three hub like areas (each act takes place in a different area) and I would say they are around the same size of white orchid, if a bit smaller.

Why do you think so? It depends on what you expect but both 1 and 2 are still pretty good games. 2 is not as open as 3 but its not like some fps corridor. If you enjoyed 3, just go and play it.
As much as I enjoyed 1, it has not aged well at all imo.

As much as I enjoyed 1, it has not aged well at all imo.
It differs in many ways from 3, for those who played just 3 and want another similar game it probably wont be too good, but all who want more from witcher universe (in terms of story, characters etc, not game mechanics) should play it. It takes some time to get used to it but I wouldnt consider it outdated.

I'm entirely lost at the fact you don't like TW1. I think it is probably the best of the series, definitely better than TW2.

I can play that game once or twice a year every year no problem, but combat is a big hitch for some people.

Witcher 2 has an unique atmosphere. Definetely.

The maps are smaller, but you still have a feeling of freedom as you can chose quests and exploring.

The main story feels more intens in Witcher 2. You really feel you take part in a serious game of power and faith.

I didn't really like it that much the first time I played it. Maybe because it was so different from other games. But one day I returned to it and became more and more attached. When I think about all the games I've played Witcher 2 is all the way on top of the list.

Here's my all time favourites. There is no doubt:

Witcher 2
Witcher3
Skyrim
Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3

It's hard to say which I like best. They are all 10/10 games.

All are definitely worth of playing. Yet I can't really say which one is better or worse. It's quite rare for three game in a series to be so different in almost every aspect you could think of. Most of the games are very similar. Take Elder Scrolls for instance, they did evolve, but still are somewhat similar games except for the world and story. Same for most jRPGs, that can reach like 15 or 20 installments in one series - also, even the titles called revolutionary have only changed at some aspects (don't take me wrong, I love both Elder Scrolls and jRPGs).

This makes is hard to compare them to each other. It's actulally easier to compare each of the Witcher games in the series to other games of the same genre.

first play tw1, than tw2, than tw3, that's the right way to do it ;)
Actually, I would recommend the other way round. If someone can't get into the world with TW3, he won't probably like the other two. Especially, that TW1 graphics have gotten old, and the fight system is somewhat weird (click 1-2 click 1-2-3 click, boring as hell - well, you can use signs, elixirs and all, but since the game is easy anyway, you don't really have to). But that's only my opinion.

As for TW2 - IMO, it's unplayable with mouse and keyboard, gamepad is a must (I find it more comfortable to play TW3 with a gamepad too, but TW3 is at least pretty much playable with keyb and mouse).

Last edited:
I am trying to play W2 now, but the wierd graphics are just a little too off-putting for me. I spose its a stylistic choice that made sense at the time and is still OK if you played it then, but comparing to modern games with "normal' graphics it just looks too damn strange.

Actually, I would recommend the other way round. If someone can't get into the world with TW3, he won't probably like the other two. Especially, that TW1 graphics have gotten old, and the fight system is somewhat weird (

There are a lot of games with even older graphics which are worth playing. And graphics in TW1 are pretty good as is. As for combat - it uses rhythmic method. Did you see new games with similar idea? For example Crypt of the Necrodancer. It is unusual, but there is nothing weird in the idea.

And here is another example with even more novel implementation: http://flavourmachine.com/sesamefighter/

---------- Updated at 02:16 PM ----------

As for TW2 - IMO, it's unplayable with mouse and keyboard, gamepad is a must (I find it more comfortable to play TW3 with a gamepad too, but TW3 is at least pretty much playable with keyb and mouse).

Never needed a controller in TW2. I played it just fine with mouse and keyboard. You can also redefine keys to more comfortable combinations.

Last edited:
I am trying to play W2 now, but the wierd graphics are just a little too off-putting for me. I spose its a stylistic choice that made sense at the time and is still OK if you played it then, but comparing to modern games with "normal' graphics it just looks too damn strange.

Weird graphics? It looks as good as most modern games, if not better. Anyway, I accidently gave you that red point, lol.

I can play that game once or twice a year every year no problem, but combat is a big hitch for some people.

I think the combat in TW1 is the best out of the three. Sure it is a bit rough and needs some polish but having the control over which sword to use and which combat style to use is great. Also, being able to link combos together and the animations being different adds more depth. I wish 2 and 3 kept this design and simply improved/polished it.

What is wrong with the graphics exactly ? If it is the bloom you do not like (as the game has a fair amount of it), you can turn it off in the launcher, as well as a number of other effects.

---------- Updated at 08:06 PM ----------

Especially, that TW1 graphics have gotten old

It does not really look bad at the maximum settings, although the facial animations are indeed dated, and there is some recycling of NPCs.

and the fight system is somewhat weird (click 1-2 click 1-2-3 click, boring as hell

The combat may be weird at first for new players, but after getting used to it, it becomes better. The game does have a tendency to become easy, at least on the normal difficulty.

Both can be played fine with keyboard and mouse, the controls are similar.

Weird graphics? It looks as good as most modern games, if not better. Anyway, I accidently gave you that red point, lol.

WHy thanks, I gave you one back but it was on purpose. :D

SO I did a bit of looking around and it seems I actually have a rare-ish bug or something, where the game looks like I have been taking acid before playing it. And it really does.

Now I wonder if I should tweak settings.........

Top Bottom