And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I don't know if this forum is monitored or not, but I'm not coming back to gwent. Homecoming needlessly changing every card in the game, the vast majority to something much less interesting, and in general making the game boring and unfun was the biggest dumpster fire of an update any game has ever had in the history of forever. I went from rank 19, to playing about 3 games ever after the update. If those changes get reverted I will come back the next day, and shower you guys with my money. Thank you.

If the e-mails are from the newsletter mailing list, look for this link at the very bottom of the message(s):
Capture.PNG

Also, I'm going to merge this with a similar thread.

They can't revert it back cause they would lose new people, like me, who thought beta was dumpster fire.

I'm also out of Gwent. I played nearly 0.2k hc games, more could not be played though I tried quite hard. Too boring and frustrating to me. And I still remember the times shortly before Midwinter disaster. We were so close the perfect Gwent then.
So we can only wait for closing hc servers for good and then perhaps cdprojekt will provide someone with scripts and allow to run servers with Old Good Gwent . Quite funny idea, but you never know.

Last edited:
They can't revert it back cause they would lose new people, like me, who thought beta was dumpster fire.
true,
but they can update it including the lost elements that old school Gwent has
keeping the new system and the cool previous tactics and style of playing
and try to balance it, if this is so risky then they can make it a mod and call it( Savage Old World ) or something
and u know what, let them sell it for money i will buy it i would love it

true,
but they can update it including the lost elements that old school Gwent has
keeping the new system and the cool previous tactics and style of playing
and try to balance it, if this is so risky then they can make it a mod and call it( Savage Old World ) or something
and u know what, let them sell it for money i will buy it i would love it
I'm one of the new players, and as I said a few posts earlier, I like the current Gwent a lot, compared to beta Gwent. But I'm also not afraid of changes made to the current status quo. And why should I? Constant changes keeps us busy finding new strategies. But this flexibility is totally missing by those old players who posted here. They just want to play as they did 2-3 years ago, most probably because they were successful, but can't adapt to the new mechanics. And that's sad.

So we can only wait for closing hc servers for good and then perhaps cdprojekt will provide someone with scripts and allow to run servers with Old Good Gwent . Quite funny idea, but you never know.
If the dream will come true i willingly spend every month few bucks to support the game, as now state of the game is like someone sold it's soul for a ton of garlic (you know what i mean).

I totally feel you! Gwent Homecoming will never be as strategic, exciting and fun to play as old Gwent. Even though they put a lot of effort into it and make it better and I still try to like it, I just simply can't.

I'm one of the new players, and as I said a few posts earlier, I like the current Gwent a lot, compared to beta Gwent. But I'm also not afraid of changes made to the current status quo. And why should I? Constant changes keeps us busy finding new strategies. But this flexibility is totally missing by those old players who posted here. They just want to play as they did 2-3 years ago, most probably because they were successful, but can't adapt to the new mechanics. And that's sad.
That is not true. I don't believe using the argument that "people don't want to adapt to the new mechanics" is a valid statement. Games need to evolve, of course. This happens in sports and in any activity that is designed to be competitive over the years. The problem is not that Gwent evolved into Homecoming, the problem is that HC removed too much out of its main idea to be called the same thing. It's like Baseball and Cricket, they both share the same ideas but they are two completely different games, I think the same thing applies in this case.

HC and Gwent are the same ideas, but their execution makes them completely different from each other. Reasons for this have been stated here and basically everywhere again and again so I won't go into it (and it doesn't have to do with how many rows or any of the minuscule details, they are just 2 completely different experiences). Even Jason Slama in the video for the roadmap stated how they may have gone too far with the changes and really, can you honestly say that both games are the same experience? Maybe you like it, but others don't enjoy it, why is that hard to get?

Sadly Gwent is no more and I don't enjoy HC, but this is not because I don't want to evolve and accept this new direction, it's because they are 2 different experiences that share some ideas, that's it. I played HC for maybe 60 hours and honestly, the game is not for me. It's serviceable and can be considered good, but its not the experience I am looking for in a card game. Ok, HC has an audience well good for it, it's just a bitch that they left half of the community empty-handed of a game most people loved because this new game does not appeal to them.

Peace.
XOXO

That is not true. I don't believe using the argument that "people don't want to adapt to the new mechanics" is a valid statement. Games need to evolve, of course. This happens in sports and in any activity that is designed to be competitive over the years. The problem is not that Gwent evolved into Homecoming, the problem is that HC removed too much out of its main idea to be called the same thing. It's like Baseball and Cricket, they both share the same ideas but they are two completely different games, I think the same thing applies in this case.

HC and Gwent are the same ideas, but their execution makes them completely different from each other. Reasons for this have been stated here and basically everywhere again and again so I won't go into it (and it doesn't have to do with how many rows or any of the minuscule details, they are just 2 completely different experiences). Even Jason Slama in the video for the roadmap stated how they may have gone too far with the changes and really, can you honestly say that both games are the same experience? Maybe you like it, but others don't enjoy it, why is that hard to get?

Sadly Gwent is no more and I don't enjoy HC, but this is not because I don't want to evolve and accept this new direction, it's because they are 2 different experiences that share some ideas, that's it. I played HC for maybe 60 hours and honestly, the game is not for me. It's serviceable and can be considered good, but its not the experience I am looking for in a card game. Ok, HC has an audience well good for it, it's just a bitch that they left half of the community empty-handed of a game most people loved because this new game does not appeal to them.

Peace.
XOXO
I understood and expressed several times, that those posting in this thread are disappointed. Changes don't necessarily mean evolving, but also heading towards a new direction. That's why I talked of changes. It's not that many people who left the game (obviously, the new direction attracted more players than left), and I understand the wish to say goodbye after a year or two of playing Gwent. What I don't understand is the urge to talk bad about Gwent, and the urge to get affirmation. No matter how often people repeat it in this thread, the only ones who agree are those who left anyway.

I understood and expressed several times, that those posting in this thread are disappointed. Changes don't necessarily mean evolving, but also heading towards a new direction. That's why I talked of changes. It's not that many people who left the game (obviously, the new direction attracted more players than left), and I understand the wish to say goodbye after a year or two of playing Gwent. What I don't understand is the urge to talk bad about Gwent, and the urge to get affirmation. No matter how often people repeat it in this thread, the only ones who agree are those who left anyway.
Ok, I understand. Well, yeah I agree that by this point the continuous use of HC as the detractor of Gwent by marginalizing it is pointless, but I guess to each his own. It's an easy target so people will keep using it to satisfy their dissatisfaction; however, I also think in a small way this persistence by people to target the current game is caused by mistakes in communication by the company. In my opinion, the way they have handled all seems to be on par with the idea that they still want to appeal to both playerbases, like they still want to appeal to the people that left, when really they should just focus on new players and how to improve on this new idea that is HC which seems to be successful on it own.

Really, they are wasting time sending messages to old players on reasons why they should come back when they should be focusing those resources on ways to grow the community around the future of the current game idea and its Witcher universe. It all started with the initial marketing of HC where they were trying to cut the cake and eat it too. Even now you can hear them talking about how to create a balance to still have that core of what Gwent was (bringing tavern, the music, archetypes, etc) when in my opinion that is what is holding them back. I think everything comes to that problem because the team wants to evolve but they don't want to let go either, so it creates a mixed message to both the new and old players. Hell, they should have used a second line for the game's name like Gwent the New Witcher Card Game or something and that could have fixed so many problems in the release and made the changes more acceptable. Even now you can see on GOG people giving negatives to the game because they come from Witcher 3 Gwent and can't understand how a game with the same name is different (and on Reddit people are still confused because info about how beta is played is still generously available). I think that is why you're going to keep seeing it. Until the Team doesn't let go and stop trying to bring the previous game back in a way to this one, people are going to keep persisting on the same thing and bitching why it hasn't happened yet.

They should've cut out the cord since the beginning and probably by now everybody will have been happy, but...
(of course, this is my theory).

♪ ♩ ♪ ♩ It's the time of the season for ♪ ♩ ♪ ♩

I would not be so sure about the success of hc release. Whatever these stats mean http://gogstats.com/game/1971477531_gwent-the-witcher-card-game they never were so bad. For the record, six months ago and earlier Gwent was placed around 2,5k. In Beta Gwent I started every season with the rank 100k+. In both hc season I played (including the present one) I was ranked 50k+ at the start. The Twitch stats before the return of swim were also disappointing.
Everything says that the magic has gone, for good.

Last edited:
Ok, I understand. Well, yeah I agree that by this point the continuous use of HC as the detractor of Gwent by marginalizing it is pointless, but I guess to each his own. It's an easy target so people will keep using it to satisfy their dissatisfaction; however, I also think in a small way this persistence by people to target the current game is caused by mistakes in communication by the company. In my opinion, the way they have handled all seems to be on par with the idea that they still want to appeal to both playerbases, like they still want to appeal to the people that left, when really they should just focus on new players and how to improve on this new idea that is HC which seems to be successful on it own.

Really, they are wasting time sending messages to old players on reasons why they should come back when they should be focusing those resources on ways to grow the community around the future of the current game idea and its Witcher universe. It all started with the initial marketing of HC where they were trying to cut the cake and eat it too. Even now you can hear them talking about how to create a balance to still have that core of what Gwent was (bringing tavern, the music, archetypes, etc) when in my opinion that is what is holding them back. I think everything comes to that problem because the team wants to evolve but they don't want to let go either, so it creates a mixed message to both the new and old players. Hell, they should have used a second line for the game's name like Gwent the New Witcher Card Game or something and that could have fixed so many problems in the release and made the changes more acceptable. Even now you can see on GOG people giving negatives to the game because they come from Witcher 3 Gwent and can't understand how a game with the same name is different (and on Reddit people are still confused because info about how beta is played is still generously available). I think that is why you're going to keep seeing it. Until the Team doesn't let go and stop trying to bring the previous game back in a way to this one, people are going to keep persisting on the same thing and bitching why it hasn't happened yet.

They should've cut out the cord since the beginning and probably by now everybody will have been happy, but...
(of course, this is my theory).

♪ ♩ ♪ ♩ It's the time of the season for ♪ ♩ ♪ ♩
That is the first constructive post in this thread, and I enjoyed reading it. I was just as confused, when I first read about silver cards and other details, but quickly realized it's from the beta. And the lack of information about details like discard, spy, assimilate, etc, right in the game was my first complaint here on the forums.

The only thing I want to add to your post is that those players who are disappointed and therefore spit their hatred everywhere they go on the internet, should better realize that they themselves contribute to hurting Gwent. And if current Gwent dies, there definitely will be no way back to beta. It will just be history. It would be better to stay quiet or argue like you did here, because only as long as Gwent is alive is there a chance to get something back into the game from the beta days. Sadly, most won't do so. But is it really satisfying to help killing Gwent, just because they don't like the current gameplay?
Post automatically merged:

I would not be so sure about the success of hc release. Whatever these stats mean http://gogstats.com/game/1971477531_gwent-the-witcher-card-game they never were so bad. For the record, six months ago and earlier Gwent was placed around 2,5k. In Beta Gwent I started every season with the rank 100k+. In both hc season I played (including the present one) I was ranked 50k+ at the start. The Twitch stats before the return of swim were also disappointing.
Everything says that the magic has gone, for good.
Statistics don't say much. For example, bestsellers. Gwent is F2P, and I would expect that it doesn't sell much, relative to players. My guess is that maybe 10% really pay for micro-transactions. And the larger the base the lower the bestseller rank. Or popularity: There's synergy effects that won't immediatly pay out. For example, Thronebreaker sells quite good, but is only on the market for a very short time. I'm pretty sure, a lot of players will come to Gwent through Thronebreaker, but many might first play through Thronebreaker completely.
In general however, I agree that the absolute number of players were higher in beta. But I'm sure CDPR is more interested in how the numbers will turn out since the release of HC. If they don't see a certain growth by a certain deadline, we will see Gwent rather closing, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
(obviously, the new direction attracted more players than left)
I hope you have anything besides your guts to prove that assumption.

And about not being "flexible enough", just imagine how this Gwent you just startt to play and liking is changing into beta-gwent back. You shouldnt have any problems with is, right? Because you are lexible enough to take this direction.
Everyone, who thinks, we should stop crying and accecpt the new concept disprove themselfs, because they could either accept the wanted step backwards as well.
And again, before anybody get offended: I am absolutly fine by people who just like Homecoming, but dont look to talk the ones down who dont.

Thronebreaker sells quite good
CDRed itself claims the sells of thronebreaker werent good at all...

I mostly love game with soul in it. Where characters, sounds, melody & overall graphics give total justice to game story. IMMERSION is the main factor for me in any game.

I loved W1, W2 but for the same reasons I mentioned above I don't like W3 as for me it lost immersion so badly. The wither world suddenly started to look like so modern. Music is good but not immersive like W1/2. Places like swamp, caves started to look like so empty & dead ( may be due to high graphics ). I mean just look at the swamps or dark places in W2.. Damn I was quite afraid or very conscious to go there specially at playing at night as those are really creepy but in W3 mehh....

Sorry for going off topic but the thing I just wanted to say is keep that soul into the game no matter what & currently that's what happen to gwent... The game lost its soul in unwanted show shinning & now it look feels like some modern ccg with ok gameplay. Where old game may don't have that many features but it's simple & mainly immersive with simple looks which suits for the old game gwent from ancient witcher world.

Sorry but I really enjoyed close/open beta but left gwent after HC.

You shouldnt have any problems with is, right? Because you are lexible enough to take this direction.
Exactly! The game goes wherever CDPR wants it to go. And I, as a player either like it or not. If I like it I play, if not I move on. Simple as that.

CDRed itself claims the sells of thronebreaker werent good at all...
I hope you have anything besides your guts to prove that assumption. Because CDPR just said that they raised their expectations after the good reviews and those new expectations weren't met. They also said they expect the game to sell for many years (which means steady income).

I hope you have anything besides your guts to prove that assumption. Because CDPR just said that they raised their expectations after the good reviews and those new expectations weren't met. They also said they expect the game to sell for many years (which means steady income).
Huh? You quote CDRed yourself, that they didnt reach the goal of sales. They even put Thronebreaker on Steam, ignoring their own statement, that it should stay at GOG exclusively. It's a very clear sign, the sells werent good. They could get after even if TB had very good sells. So dont stand against me just to stand against me and accept the fact, that TB wasnt a good call, even if wanted by many people here.

Besides everything that has been said, I think the conclusion of all of this has always been the same and I really don't understand why CDPR doesn't do it, it seems logical at this point. In an ideal situation (which budget, personnel, and vision are all aligned) I think Gwent should be the base of a 3-way service in one platform, GWENT which will include:

• HC Gwent - Labeled as New Gwent which provides a CCG experience that competes with other similar games (the focus of the platform and the one with the most yearly expansions). It clearly has an audience with the new people and it seems this is the way the team wants to move forward.

• Beta/Open Gwent - Labeled as Gwent Classic which would provide old players and Witcher 3 players a way to play a beta version of the original Gwent (which could have patches like once a year or less and maybe one expansion a year). There is clearly an audience for it since we're still here and people coming out of Witcher 3 come to HC wanting a similar experience. It will also provide a nice game to play when someone is tired of constantly playing the other one.

• Thronebreaker - Labeled as Witcher Stories which will be a maybe yearly paid expansion of small Witcher stories people can purchase for its single-player gameplay and narrative.

This is of course of a dream, but it could work, they have the personnel to do it plus something like this will let them cater to all the interested parties... Still, it probably will never happen... man, I really don't get how a team with so many people can be this slow to adapt to a game's necessities. I've been playing the beta of another card game, Mythgard, and they already have cross-platform between Steam, Desktop, Mac, and Mobile, arena (vs AI and PvP), puzzles, 4 player multiplayer, a fully voiced single-player experience and more. They are a small team that accomplished all of this in a little more than a year yet CD if I remember had like 200 people on the team and after 3 years they are now establishing mobile and they are unsure if they should do more Witcher Stories, they are still catering to a displeased audience that left... so... I really don't get it. It's been 3 years, they should be on top of what they want to do...

Huh? You quote CDRed yourself, that they didnt reach the goal of sales. They even put Thronebreaker on Steam, ignoring their own statement, that it should stay at GOG exclusively. It's a very clear sign, the sells werent good. They could get after even if TB had very good sells. So dont stand against me just to stand against me and accept the fact, that TB wasnt a good call, even if wanted by many people here.
You don't seem to understand the difference between "not meeting raised expectations" and "selling bad". Here's a fictious example, that might make it clearer:
A: Hm, I'd say we will make 20 million with Thronebreaker.
B: OMG, look at the game tests! They are extremely positive!
A: Oh, well then I'd say we will make 25 million!
A month later
B: Numbers are in. We only made 21 million.
A: Damn, we didn't meet my expactations.

Besides everything that has been said, I think the conclusion of all of this has always been the same and I really don't understand why CDPR doesn't do it, it seems logical at this point. In an ideal situation (which budget, personnel, and vision are all aligned) I think Gwent should be the base of a 3-way service in one platform, GWENT which will include:

• HC Gwent - Labeled as New Gwent which provides a CCG experience that competes with other similar games (the focus of the platform and the one with the most yearly expansions). It clearly has an audience with the new people and it seems this is the way the team wants to move forward.

• Beta/Open Gwent - Labeled as Gwent Classic which would provide old players and Witcher 3 players a way to play a beta version of the original Gwent (which could have patches like once a year or less and maybe one expansion a year). There is clearly an audience for it since we're still here and people coming out of Witcher 3 come to HC wanting a similar experience. It will also provide a nice game to play when someone is tired of constantly playing the other one.

• Thronebreaker - Labeled as Witcher Stories which will be a maybe yearly paid expansion of small Witcher stories people can purchase for its single-player gameplay and narrative.

This is of course of a dream, but it could work, they have the personnel to do it plus something like this will let them cater to all the interested parties... Still, it probably will never happen... man, I really don't get how a team with so many people can be this slow to adapt to a game's necessities. I've been playing the beta of another card game, Mythgard, and they already have cross-platform between Steam, Desktop, Mac, and Mobile, arena (vs AI and PvP), puzzles, 4 player multiplayer, a fully voiced single-player experience and more. They are a small team that accomplished all of this in a little more than a year yet CD if I remember had like 200 people on the team and after 3 years they are now establishing mobile and they are unsure if they should do more Witcher Stories, they are still catering to a displeased audience that left... so... I really don't get it. It's been 3 years, they should be on top of what they want to do...
There's a new thread "How to make Gwent great again". You might want to participate there with your proposals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom