Announcing Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

+
I'm not too worried to be honest. My feeling is that the alleged/inferred 2nd expansion is essentially going to take its form in Orion instead:

It would be super interesting if Orion is set in the Crystal Palace as opposed to Night City. Or, if like The Witcher 3, there are two major areas included in the base game - with both Night City and Crystal Palace being featured.

”Full power”, eh? Not from a (RPG) gameplay perspective, I’d wager.
—————————-

I’m kinda more interested what new the expansion offers on the gameplayside (if anything) rather than what the story or new setting is.

Anyways, we’ll see…

I think people who are looking to CDPR for revolutionary gameplay, combat and RPG systems are going to continue to be disappointed.

The Witcher 3 had fairly basic combat and nothing special in terms of RPG systems, especially when it came to things like skills - along with a clunky horse. What made the game special was the characters, story, choice, setting and visuals.

Cyberpunk 2077 has decent combat for a first person RPG, mediocre at best skill systems and clunky driving. What made the game special was again the character, story, setting and visuals.

CDPR makes STORY driven open world games. That is what they do. That is what they specialize in. That's what they are good at.

Which is to say... if you are waiting for them to light the world on fire with super cool character customization systems and combat you are probably going to be disappointed forever. It is like expecting amazing combat or a CDPR level of depth to story/characters from Bethesda - that just isn't what they do.

I think people who are looking to CDPR for revolutionary gameplay, combat and RPG systems are going to continue to be disappointed.

The Witcher 3 had fairly basic combat and nothing special in terms of RPG systems, especially when it came to things like skills - along with a clunky horse. What made the game special was the characters, story, choice, setting and visuals.

Cyberpunk 2077 has decent combat for a first person RPG, mediocre at best skill systems and clunky driving. What made the game special was again the character, story, setting and visuals.

CDPR makes STORY driven open world games. That is what they do. That is what they specialize in. That's what they are good at.

Which is to say... if you are waiting for them to light the world on fire with super cool character customization systems and combat you are probably going to be disappointed forever. It is like expecting amazing combat or a CDPR level of depth to story/characters from Bethesda - that just isn't what they do.
Yeah, I get that. And believe you me, I’ve gotten that for a gooood while now. I’m just a stubborn son of a bitch, because I think it really is undermining the setting they use not to incorporate appropriate gameplay to accompany it.

Unless of course Vattier or Tost or someone explicitly says: ”Yeah, we don’t really care about deeper RPG systems or the sort of gameplay they’d involve all that much, we just want to make epic cinematic stories with cool(tm) shooting.” Then it’d of course be a done deal. At least sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I get that. And believe you me, I’ve gotten that for a gooood while now. I’m just a stubborn son of a bitch, because I think it really is undermining the setting they use not to incorporate appropriate gameplay to accompany it.

Unless of course Vattier or Tost or someone explicitly says: ”Yeah, we don’t really care about deeper RPG systems or the sort of gameplay they’d involve all that much, we just want to make epic cinematic stories with cool(tm) shooting.” Then it’d of course be a done deal. At least sooner rather than later.

I don't think they are going to undermine their own game design and systems by saying that they are nothing special. I'm not sure any company is really going to do that. I get people want companies to be the most honest people ever, but that isn't going to happen. They are going to do what they do best and market their game - as they should. As a consumer you have to set reasonable expectations for yourself.

The Witcher 3 was a masterpiece. A flawed masterpiece like all games that are great - because none of them are perfect and they could all use better systems, stories, graphics or whatever else... and no game can deliver all of that. Usually when games try to do that they end up failing (See: The launch of Cyberpunk 2077 - where tons of stuff they wanted to do didn't end up in the final game and the final game came out half finished... or Fallout 4 - which added all sorts of crazy new systems and a lot of them were half-done or just flat out bad and the story was extremely average).

I don't think they are going to undermine their own game design and systems by saying that they are nothing special. I'm not sure any company is really going to do that. I get people want companies to be the most honest people ever, but that isn't going to happen. They are going to do what they do best and market their game - as they should. As a consumer you have to set reasonable expectations for yourself.

The Witcher 3 was a masterpiece. A flawed masterpiece like all games that are great - because none of them are perfect and they could all use better systems, stories, graphics or whatever else... and no game can deliver all of that. Usually when games try to do that they end up failing (See: The launch of Cyberpunk 2077 - where tons of stuff they wanted to do didn't end up in the final game and the final game came out half finished... or Fallout 4 - which added all sorts of crazy new systems and a lot of them were half-done or just flat out bad and the story was extremely average).
What are you talking about, Bethesda says we'll get the bestest and perfect game with all that and more in Starfield

/Sarcasm

Last edited:
Do ya'll think there's any chance of the dlc giving a new ending? Or am I getting my hopes up too much?
Personally, I don't think so. But in fact, who know.
I bet that we will only "know" when the expansion will be released (and when we'll get our hands on it^^).

On a side note, I think it would be rather vicious to "sell" an alternative ending. And even more if it's an "happier" one.

Do ya'll think there's any chance of the dlc giving a new ending? Or am I getting my hopes up too much?
Because the teaser pretty clearly tells us Silverhand is still in our head I think it is safe to assume the expansion takes place before the end of the game. So it is a very real possibility that it either gives a new ending or influences the already existing endings in some way.

That being said if we are going off of prior expansions that the company has released Hearts of Stone was a pre-ending expansion for The Witcher 3. While it did not have a ending of its own - it could influence things in the main story. One that I remember off of the top of my head is I believe if you go talk to Yenn while you have the mark thing given to you by O'Dimm she comments on it.

Which is to say - no one knows. It is a real possibility. Odds are the expansion will influence the existing game in some way. To what extent no one knows.

On a side note, I think it would be rather vicious to "sell" an alternative ending. And even more if it's an "happier" one.
Hm - why ?
The DLC is basically a side quest. It would fit into the whole game better if a new character you meet there would show up as call option on the roof, leading to an alternate ending. Which should be different from the existing endings of course. And if it's different but worse people will rate down the DLC so there is a chance it will turn out better.
A "good" ending might even end up canon and pave the path to V as main character in the new CP game.

And anybody slightly interested in CP will get the DLC anyway, so I don't see a point why that would be "vicious".

Hm - why ?
The DLC is basically a side quest. It would fit into the whole game better if a new character you meet there would show up as call option on the roof, leading to an alternate ending. Which should be different from the existing endings of course. And if it's different but worse people will rate down the DLC so there is a chance it will turn out better.
A "good" ending might even end up canon and pave the path to V as main character in the new CP game.

And anybody slightly interested in CP will get the DLC anyway, so I don't see a point why that would be "vicious".
It's just my opinion, but something like that seem to me quite "vicious" :
"Do you want a more satisfying ending that the one in the base game ? Yes, so buy the expansion !"
Or
"Sorry, the most satisfying ending is sold separatly"
Or even worse^^
"You want a cure for V, buy the expansion !"

Personally, it wouldn't bother me at all, I'll buy the expansion anyway, but I can see the complains coming from far :)

I did the Star and the solo Sun endings and in my opinion, it is obvious that they hint that V could find a cure. But even though I believe that there is a cure, I don't feel satisfaction by just letting my fantasy go . The Crystal palace and Mr. Blue eyes or searching Panam's mysterious contacts seem way too interesting to let them just go. It is like reading a book that doesn't have the last pages.

@LeKill3rFou is right that it would be vicious to sell a good ending with the expansion, I just hope that with the next Cyberpunk game they will give chance to the players to do something better with the protagonist (whoever they are). That's the good thing about games, they can have multiple endings, so people who love depressing endings and people who want their choices to matter would be satisfied.

It's just my opinion, but something like that seem to me quite "vicious" :
"Do you want a more satisfying ending that the one in the base game ? Yes, so buy the expansion !"
Or
"Sorry, the most satisfying ending is sold separatly"
Or even worse^^
"You want a cure for V, buy the expansion !"
This is what EAware would do. I doubt it will come to that.

It is going to be fascinating to see how much Phantom Liberty costs, especially if it is a Blood and Wine (or more) amount of content.

I say that because Winter's Expansion came out today for Resident Evil Village and... (spoilers)

For $19.99 it added:
  • Third person mode.
  • Some mode where you can play other characters in the game and beat up some monsters.
  • The main thing was the 'Shadows of Rose', which was a new scenario where you can play the main character's daughter. Apparently on normal it takes only about 2-3 hours to beat it.
The above shows what an insane value Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine were... and how they surpass what most other expansions for games even try to come close to.

It is going to be fascinating to see how much Phantom Liberty costs, especially if it is a Blood and Wine (or more) amount of content.
IMO, both Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine were too affordable. I wouldn't be mad if Phantom Liberty costs twice as much.

Top Bottom