Anyone else finds traveling on foot better than on horse?

+
Let me give you a tip about horse riding, since i've read the same complaints over and over since the game launched a month ago.

- FIguring out when your horse has stopped sprinting because he hit something requires experience and 'feel', you will acquire this through hours of horseback riding

- When you notice your horse isn't sprinting at full speed anymore, simply double tap SHIFT and hold (or w/e your horse sprint key is bound to). It's sort of like giving the horse a kick to make him run again. I've never lost a single horse race, not even when i screw up and run into the side of a wall. Just steer back into the right direction, double tap, and you're off again.

Personally I use the horse for travelling outside of the main cities/towns/villages when I can't use the fast travel. When I am surrounded by buildings and encounter stairs I am always on foot and I think that is the way it is supposed to be (seeming as you can't gallop in some places). Plus the size of the horse is sometimes impractical when travelling on small pathways.

I only fast travel between maps, and only use roach when i really just want to get somewhere quick. Usually I just job everywhere. Lets me take my time and not feel like i'm going to miss something neat.

Guest 3823474

I am quite satisfied with the movement stuff. The horse behaves realistically clumsy if you try and force it to be super-nimble (which it isn't). So you are naturally guided towards only using the horse the way Geralt would realistically use it: for longer travels, mainly on road, and not always in full gallop.

I really like using Roach, and having spent hours in the saddle (I'm another that rarely uses fast travel) I've not seen anything untoward in the handling. Roach often feels like she has her own head, and won't necessarily go the way you point her. Well... she's a horse! I'm sure Roach knows more about where she can walk than I do.

Horseback is a great way to see the countryside. I enjoy spotting a group of bandits and galloping straight through the middle, jumping off the back of Roach in the middle of them with sword swinging and igni primed and ready.

Roach is a great addition to the game.

Unlike others, I have no problem with using fast travel. 98% of the time I just run rather than taking the time to summon Roach, mount, get him pointed the right way, deal with the odd random halt, etc. The horse mechanics need polish IMHO.

Not much trouble with Roach, except when my frame rates are low. Then the controls (in general) are too sluggish. Rain and fog being the biggest problem.

Horse is much better. At least I can jump off cliffs and hills without damage. If I was on foot, I would be dead.

I would say it's 50/50 for me. If I have to go far I'll use Roach. I turned down the sensitivity of the analog sticks and it makes Geralt and Roach easier to control. I hope CDPR will tighten up the controls.

I'm on foot most the time, if Roche was more like a horse from RDR and moved the same, with the same controls, I would use him a lot more!!
I don't like that he stops and goes all the time, I don't like the fear meter and I don't like that he has no brakes. In RDR, you could control horse speed by tapping RB and by useing RB as a brake. It just felt better all the way around. :)

300 yards or less then on foot or in most swamps, long distance starts at 400 yards then it's Roach. However as time and practice has built up I fight more often on horse than before.

Depending on distance:
> 600 or so Fast Travel
between 200 and 600 Roach
<200 on foot.

In cities/towns I'm always on foot with Werewolf decoction if possible. In the countryside I prefer to drink the Troll decoction.

Guest 3823474

Depending on distance:
> 600 or so Fast Travel
between 200 and 600 Roach
<200 on foot.

In cities/towns I'm always on foot with Werewolf decoction if possible. In the countryside I prefer to drink the Troll decoction.

I'm wondering: Is the werewolf decoction even worth it? After all, it takes a while for stamina to exhaust and then it's just a brief moment before it is full again.

I'm wondering: Is the werewolf decoction even worth it? After all, it takes a while for stamina to exhaust and then it's just a brief moment before it is full again.

It's more a nice utility than other. You just drink it in Novigrad to run all the time, without stopping, because Roach is not useful there.
And if you like to move on foot you can cast a Sign at the start of the combat if caught by surprise.
Anyway after the Novigrad part it has no real utility.

Top Bottom