Casual Mode Locked Out

+
oh great, now there's no hope for me to get easy wins due to people conceding quickly, cuz no one's gonna do that in freakin ranked.

Yeah this annoys me a lot. I haven't played gwent for 3 months, so my rank was really low and I had reinstalled the game around the last week of August. Seeing that disgusting meta with Foltest and DJ though and being a hardcore Scoia main, I didn't have the will and patience to play a single ranked match at all. I'm not a fan of arena and seasonal because I prefer classic gwent. So casual was the only choice for me in August. Limiting game modes, especially casual, till you reach rank whatever, is not a clever move at all. Not everyone is willing to spend hours and hours on the same game every day to climb the ladder every month. There are ppl out there with limited free time.

Last edited:
I think it's a bad decision.
The main problem is that you force veteran players who do not want to play competitively to do so. If what you want is to separate veteran players from non-veterans, instead of using rank 7 it is better to use prestige 1 or 2.

PD: I started playing casual to learn, and when I started in qualifying, it went very well.

Not everyone is willing to spend hours and hours on the same game every day to climb the ladder every month. There are ppl out there with limited free time.

But how is this an argument against the removal of casual? Those that only play a few matches, can still do so. Nothing has changed. No one is forcing you to climb ranked.

The main problem is that you force veteran players who do not want to play competitively to do so. If what you want is to separate veteran players from non-veterans, instead of using rank 7 it is better to use prestige 1 or 2.

While I agree that it's better to unlock casual after prestige 2, I disagree about the competitive nature of ranked. It's precisely the reason why CDPR has removed casual in the lower ranks because the lower ranks are actually more friendly towards new players.

But how is this an argument against the removal of casual? Those that only play a few matches, can still do so. Nothing has changed. No one is forcing you to climb ranked.

While I agree that it's better to unlock casual after prestige 2, I disagree about the competitive nature of ranked. It's precisely the reason why CDPR has removed casual in the lower ranks because the lower ranks are actually more friendly towards new players.

So we do not want to play against the same decks over and over again, then you say " after rank 9 you do not encounter the same decks" Fine, except in order to reach rank 9 we have to climb ranked. So we are forced in any case to play a mode we do not like forced until we reach rank 7 where people do not play casual for fun but only to test new try hard combos.

So basically you say we are not forced to do something when in reality we are and it is boring.

Maybe the situation on pc is different, but do you want to know on the patch's first day what my game time was? 8 Ardal, 4 Usurpers, 1 Francesca and 4 Dettlaff. And I am desperately trying to rank up from level 13 ( I was 9 and I lost 4 levels after patch).

Does this sound fun to you? I have to get bored in order to get to the light casual mode that is now level restricted so it's not a fun casual mode anyway.

It's going to be a great season playing against only meta decks...

So we do not want to play against the same decks over and over again, then you say " after rank 9 you do not encounter the same decks" Fine, except in order to reach rank 9 we have to climb ranked.

No, I said: before rank 9 you encounter a greater variety of decks.

Maybe the situation on pc is different, but do you want to know on the patch's first day what my game time was? 8 Ardal, 4 Usurpers, 1 Francesca and 4 Dettlaff.

Console users can play against PC users and vice versa. Anyhow, I have had a completely different experience in ranked; very few NG, no Ardal, but plenty of NR.

And I am desperately trying to rank up from level 13 ( I was 9 and I lost 4 levels after patch).

But why do you want to desperately rank up? Because you want to hit rank 7 to unlock casual mode? Because from my personal experience casual mode wasn't really that much more interesting than ranked. That is, I mostly encounter the same decks, regardless.

No, I said: before rank 9 you encounter a greater variety of decks.

Console users can play against PC users and vice versa. Anyhow, I have had a completely different experience in ranked; very few NG, no Ardal, but plenty of NR.

But why do you want to desperately rank up? Because you want to hit rank 7 to unlock casual mode? Because from my personal experience casual mode wasn't really that much more interesting than ranked. That is, I mostly encounter the same decks, regardless.
I mean last season there were a lot of DJ's in casual, but Foltes, Usurper and many Ardal were in ranked farming like crazy.
There are people that test decks, play meme ones etc. Of course there are people withe the usual meta combos, but they are far less, while ranked already around level 11 had a constant series of these players.

What I mean is that a lower rank cannot play casual if they do not start playing competitive in ranked, because they need rank 7.
I think a lot of veterans whit low rank do not play a lot, and this is the reason for this low rank.

What I mean is that a lower rank cannot play casual if they do not start playing competitive in ranked, because they need rank 7.

That's an oxymoron. The whole point is that users don't have to play competitive and just stick in the lower ranks, which are actually better than casual. If you are able to reach rank 7, then there isn't anything to worry about in the first place because you are skilled enough to progress. The only reason one would want to play casual is because it has more "fun" decks. However, personally, I barely notice an improvement on that front, in casual.

Players need to let go of the concept that ranked is automatically competitive, which is simply not true in the lower ranks.

PS. I still dislike this change, but that's besides the point here.

Uhh... This should only apply to new players.. IE I have played game since closed beta and was in Pro ladder whole beta but homecoming made me quit competitive gwent and switched to casual/arena (and very rarely ranked, definitley not enough to get to rank7) and now I'm forced to play 1st against noobs that gives no fun and after that against tryhard netdeckers..

but as I'm writing this I realize actually the part of netdeckers actually might be fun way to play meta countering memes (just like I played competitively ;) )

Crushing the noobs gets boring fast though.. can only lose in those games, either get no satisfaction of outplaying opponent when win too easily or even worse, actually lose to a noob.

Edit: easy solution would be that you only have to reach said rank once and counting all past seasons too.

Last edited:
Lower ranked is better than casual in terms of match ups and variety, up to a certain point. Which point that is, is difficult to say. But my guess (based on experience) would place it somewhere around the start of the single digits (rank 9). As such, the netdeckers shouldn't really be an issue, on average, compared to casual.
I stoped playing for a few months and dropped from R7 to R22. Last season made it back to R7 in about 100 games. There is a strong presence of ‘meta’ even around R20. The difference is the experience of players. It can still be utterly frustrating if you are not into the ‘competitive’ gwent which let’s be honest has its issues. I understand casual players want casual mode back at all ranks. I want it too.

I stoped playing for a few months and dropped from R7 to R22. Last season made it back to R7 in about 100 games. There is a strong presence of ‘meta’ even around R20. The difference is the experience of players. It can still be utterly frustrating if you are not into the ‘competitive’ gwent which let’s be honest has its issues. I understand casual players want casual mode back at all ranks. I want it too.

I have not so long experience, but I have a similar impression. Around R15 I began playing mostly casual because I saw more unusual decks there. I cannot find this post anymore, but someone suggested another name for casual, that makes very clear, that you can face much more experienced players in this mode. And than set the limit to R20. That could be a compromise.

I'm not a fan of this change. In the last 3 months I have played very few ranked matches... Now I'm R 19. I mostly played Seasonal and Casual. Now Casual is locked and I have ranked anxiety. I play since the 1st day of OB, played 2408 hrs with this game, so let me decide what game mode I want to play. It's a mistake to tie the casual mode to Rank, Prestige (or Level) would be better IMO. A player with Prestige 3 knows, what's going on in Casual, a new player isn't...so tie this game mode to Prestige or Level and problem solved.

I'm rank 22 because as I said I had uninstalled gwent for 3 months and the month before that I only played a lil bit of casual. I play Gwent since the beginning of open beta and reached the GM rank several times (in beta). Now in ranked I face dudes who pass round 1 after playing 3 cards and face all kind of weird starter decks "combos". You can see my balanced experience below (as of this patch, my casual matches are seasonal matches).

1 loss (from seasonal) in my most recent 20 matches. At least in old (free) casual, 90% of the times I can face ppl who are beyond the learning curve of the basics in gwent. Good change CDPR! (I'm sarcastic btw).
Gwent .png

Last edited:
@Panos_Sigma I've removed the image because it shows the player names. If you want to post your match history, please obfuscate the player names, next time.

1 loss (from seasonal) in my most recent 20 matches. At least in old (free) casual, 90% of the times I can face ppl who are beyond the learning curve of the basics in gwent. Good change CDPR! (I'm sarcastic btw).

You are at the other end of the spectrum. Most players take issue because of the (perceived) increase of difficulty. But you find it too easy. Ironically, this is still not an argument against the removal of casual. Any player with experience (from similar games) who wants to climb the ranks at the bottom faces the same issue. They steamroll everyone until the single digits. However, this is an inherent problem of ranked (in any game) which cannot be solved. It's also a one-time thing. Once you have climbed the ranks, you can remain there, unless you stop playing again. Now, your argument that you are going to play casual, instead, doesn't hold up because you would never be able to play ranked again.

@ 4RM3D I don't care about ranked anymore, nor gwent is my top game to play in my free time. I just want to play a few matches when I have time or don't have a new game to play. Right now I can't get competition and I'm not willing to grind to higher ranks to unlock casual. I did that for many seasons. You don't get my point at all, so i'll stop it here. I've said my piece, so it's up to the gwent team to reconsider their desicion. I can only hope that they read their own forums.

PS I've updated my pic, sorry about that.

Top Bottom