Combat in The Witcher 3

+
Some nice combat footage here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEjGAbAUYBY

* Geralt parries a bear!

* He gets his guard broken, something that had happened with a drowner in a previous video. I don't know what it's about. Is it a heavy attack? I wonder, because the drowner in the other video seemed to brake the guard with a fast attack, something I think I saw Geralt parrying normally before, in the same video. I don't think it's a lack of Vigor - Geralt had plenty in this current video. It might be a probabilistic thing, which I'm hoping it won't. And it might be some kind of poor timing. This stuff is a big deal, because it çdoesn't only stagger Geralt... it damages him.

* There are two or 3 more situations where Geralt uses a finisher mid-battle and becomes invulnerable to enemy attacks. It doesn't look good. I wonder if it has to do with that one-hit-kill percentage ability. I don't think these fancy moves are necessary. You could cause dismemberment in OHK and it would be clear enough, without the awkwardness of misterious invicibility.

And Finally I see a (second) guy who uses heavy attacks after Axii. I was freaking out seeing people using fast attacks in these situations.

From what I see it seems as if the dodging is back to far-rolling only, is this correct?

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I see Geralt kicking or doing the shoulder barge thing, is that a parry mechanic in action or some other action?

Hmm.. a lot of the reviewers comment on the combat animations. Geralt gets hit when he clearly shouldn't and some of his hits don't land a blow when they clearly should. Sounds like fine tuning to me. Hope these get fixed sooner than later. Maybe even on the day one patch.

I'm also hoping that the difficulty will remain throughout the game. I think it's important to remember that this time around the higher the difficulty, the less XP you get, so the challenge will increase in a different way as well.

Anyway, hello Death March.

If it's still too hard, go for weaker weapons and armour... no one says you *have* to use the uber-quality loot. You can also start "playing" with your character build, looking for new fun combinations, and avoiding those already made OP by your levelling choices & combinations.

Top Bottom