Combat Thread - General

+
Nothing in the trailer looked less realistic than Witcher, with it's dragons, wild hunt, vampires, ghouls, ghosts, sorceresses, time traveling children, etc.

If it sticks to the pnp, you'll be just as easily killable as enemies, even augmented, some armored bullets will easily pierce your weaved skin / underskin plate armor

unlikely to stick to it hard given it's not turn based. Necessary compromise for a realtime game play.

Maelcom404 probably means the HP and damage of us and the enemies, and obviously I think it is only fair that we are as easy to kill as the enemy. That type of stuff are what Dark souls and Witcher 2 were quite known for in a way.

And dying easily also means we have to resolve the fight or defeat the enemy or run away from it as soon as possible, making the game's combat fast paced ultimately. It would also create a sense of danger that suits Night City, and make us actually prepare before going into a fight.

Last edited:
The main difference between RPG and FPS apart from skills/perks/attributes is the choice of how you wanna play the game which was stated many times that there are tons of options how you wanna aproach certain quest and how you can even change your mind in the middle of the quest so it is clearly an RPG no doubt about it.
I have no clue what sort of "RPGs" you've been playing.
You really think merely having a choice in how you resolve situations is all that's necessary for a game to be and RPG?
By your definition chess is an RPG.

At it's heart an RPG is the player controlling a person (robot, ameba, whatever) with traits, skills, and usually a personality that are not the same as those of the player. The player then uses the characters abilities (and hopefully personality traits) to resolve situations. No First Person Shooter can EVER be a "true" RPG simply because they use the players ability to put a crosshair on a target and trigger an attack. The characters skills (or lack thereof) is not a factor.

Style over all doesn't mean style over realism. That's a very unusual thing to say. This is set in a futuristic version of our world. Combat is deadly, and based on real-life ballistics and crime records. Nobody is black and white (not race), people all have real motivations for the decisions they make. They struggle with real problems that we struggle with today.

There's no magic, and people aren't going to be using their mind powers to hover around and shoot lightning out of their hands. This is a gritty, believable universe, but that doesn't mean there's never any room for lightheartedness or humor (there certainly will be, it's a CDPR game and they always do that well).

So... yeah. It'll be a realistic game. Not sure there was ever any doubt about that. CDPR has said as much on multiple occasions, and Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk -- while it emphasizes the "punk" -- is not a cartoony adventure with laughs, smiles and tickles.

You really think merely having a choice in how you resolve situations is all that's necessary for a game to be and RPG?

At it's heart an RPG is the player controlling a person (robot, ameba, whatever) with traits, skills, and usually a personality that are not the same as those of the player. The player then uses the characters abilities (and hopefully personality traits) to resolve situations. No First Person Shooter can EVER be a "true" RPG simply because they use the players ability to put a crosshair on a target and trigger an attack. The characters skills (or lack thereof) is not a factor.

I think he doesn't understand what you're saying, is all. A game can be an RPG with FPS-style combat (again, a game fits into a genre based on a sum total of its parts, you can't just point to one mechanic and say "its XYZ," not unless it completely dominates the game), which I don't think you're arguing against.

We already know 2077 will have many more elements of an RPG than just choice.

I'm afraid I totally fail to see the need for a "permadeath" mechanic in games .... ANY games.
You want to play "hard core" ... easy ... when your character dies start the game over.
Or are you telling me the game needs to babysit people because they might change their mind and not restart the game?
More importantly, I don't think it's possible to never die in a game like this. Not just because of bullets and enemies, but because of bugs. Open world games have bugs, no matter how hard CDPR may try to fix them all, and most players who invest hundreds of hours into a game like this are going to encounter at least one of them.

If I delegate the choice of "to restart or not to restart" to myself, I can make a decision based on how I died. Did a flying car crash into me while I was walking down the street? Maybe a reload is more appropriate. Did I fall through the world and die? Reload. Did I stupidly jump off a building and die? Hmm... restart.

I seriously doubt 2077 would be able to distinguish between a bug/completely unfair death and a true death.

And what does she want? So far in this thread we saw plenty of things people don't want to see, but not the other way around. What combat system would make this game a true RPG?
We've spent years, literally, discussing this issue here in these forums.
What I, and other RPG fans want is some sort of alternative to the combat system that does not rely on a players skills.

The VATS system in Fallout allows a player to select their target then the game calculates the probability of hitting that target using the characters skills, player skill is a non-issue, i.e. it's a form of RPG combat. A simple pause-and-play system might even work. And yes ... we're fully aware that every one of the options we'd like to see is directly counter to what FPS fans demand, duh. That's why we stress OPTION. Go ahead and play CP2077 as an FPS if you like, have fun! But give us the option to play it as an RPG. It's a single-player game, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if an alternative combat system exists. You don't like it, don't use it. But don't restrict the game to only FPS combat.

And yes, before someone jumps up screaming, I'm talking about some sort of an "aimbot" system. One based on the characters traits and abilities, this should exist beside, not in place of, the FPS gameplay. Again, it's a single-player RPG, what difference does it make if such a system exists. At the risk of pissing off the Moderators the only reason for anyone to object to such an alternative system is FPS eliteism; "You can't FPS so you don't deserve to play this game."

Last edited:
They did it with TW2 but that was a relatively short game. With an expansive 100 hours + title it makes little sense.

- crosshair precision, better recoil, faster reload animation...the usual, and within reason

- Ability to wield ( or how you wield) different weapons based on your attributes/strength

- Different status effects ( that play in part with gunplay, like slow mo), based on your stats ( intelligence or cool) or skill investment ( specific perk)

- Different techniques( animations/feats)based on your skill: being able to dual wield pistols, shotgun slide, etc

- Quick auto techniques, again as part of progression system: auto aim and something that you'd execute when in a tight spot ( like special attacks from Resident Evil VI characters)

- Adrenaline mechanic, that rewards players who take risks, are creative, versatile with slow mo

- Stamina ( does the game have any?)

Maybe not full perma-death, but something like no manual saves, and auto-save only on sleeping or exiting the game. Although that might also need survival elements that discourage the player from sleeping every 5 minutes. It could even be just an achievement for completing the game without dying or relying on manual saves.

I expect it will be like Witcher 3 - 4 levels of difficulty and no perma-death.
They didn't include it in TW3 for the fact that spending 100+ hours in a game only to have all save files deleted on death would be incredibly frustrating and honestly a pointless mechanic. If you want to simulate it by not letting yourself continue after a death then you could, but otherwise I can totally see why there would be no reason to include perma-death in the game. It doesn't really add anything.

Style over all doesn't mean style over realism. That's a very unusual thing to say. This is set in a futuristic version of our world. Combat is deadly, and based on real-life ballistics and crime records. Nobody is black and white (not race), people all have real motivations for the decisions they make. They struggle with real problems that we struggle with today.

There's no magic, and people aren't going to be using their mind powers to hover around and shoot lightning out of their hands. This is a gritty, believable universe, but that doesn't mean there's never any room for lightheartedness or humor (there certainly will be, it's a CDPR game and they always do that well).

So... yeah. It'll be a realistic game. Not sure there was ever any doubt about that. CDPR has said as much on multiple occasions, and Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk -- while it emphasizes the "punk" -- is not a cartoony adventure with laughs, smiles and tickles.

It's not that unusual. We know they are trying to keep to the core of both Cyberpunk 2020 and what it means to be a "punk," but we also know things will be sacrificed to maintain that vision. Add in what's been said about characters being a little cliche so far and what we know about the chargen system.

It doesn't help that "punk" itself, whether you're talking about the criminal version or the fashion version, tends to be flashier these days than it was in the 1980s. The criminal side is as much about showing off the wealth you have, showing that you really are that good, as it is about success. The style side has been influenced by Hollywood and cyberpunk for years, and cyberpunk of the past was always flashier than real punk stylings.

Depending on the cyberware design, you certainly could shoot lightning from your hands. Short-ranged anti-cyborg taser cyberware mounted into the hand would do it just fine. If you want to shoot fire, an arm-installed flamethrower would work.

So, yes; it can be both sillier than Cyberpunk 2020 or Witcher and still be realistic :p

Last edited:
Trauma Team as a perk works very well. Trauma Team as a way to keep respawning or as a mobile health box would be terrible.
I'll partially disagree.

Trauma Team is exactly the method they should use to justify why your character isn't dead when you do something stupid or lose a fight. It just comes with a BIG bill, run out of money and no more "resurrection" for you. So in essence the cost in Eddys (apparently the term CP2077 uses for money) makes this a limited availability option (assuming the game doesn't permit you to be filthy rich).

As to TT being some sort of "healbot", no, they only come when you're down, not when you're hurt, and they take your body away to the hospital so the fight is over, you lost.

The gameplay demo reviews check everything you said..

I really don't see what the problem is.

Top Bottom