Combat Thread - General

+
Just about to ask about this, I'd love to see a form of in-game supported permadeath.
I'd love to have a more frantic and real sense of danger for the in-game situation, but I think house rules would be a more realistic solution, as well as less problematic in the event of sudden and/or inexplicable death.

I think the only whips that are remotely popular in cyberpunk are the monomolecular kind. And it's not because they are showy so much as munchkins loving their ability to practically ignore armor.
I imagine the numerous cases of accidentally cutting your own arm off probably also contributes.

Guest 4310777

Just about to ask about this, I'd love to see a form of in-game supported permadeath.
I'd love to have a more frantic and real sense of danger for the in-game situation, but I think house rules would be a more realistic solution, as well as less problematic in the event of sudden and/or inexplicable death.

What do you mean by house rules? One idea I had was, paying to back up your consciousness in the event of death, altered carbon has experimented with this idea.. you would have to be wealthy, or perhaos steal the technology somehow. It could become a priority early in the game to obtain the ability to back up your consciousness.

I think an option to have going into menus not pause the game would really be beneficial. Knowing that you can't just pause and take a break during a big run for example could be a really cool and intense feeling with the pressure that you have to pull it off and also, if coupled with point specific saving, it can nullify that kneejerk reaction that stealth players have where you just quickload the game constantly instead of reacting on the fly.

Last edited:
By house rules I meant self-enforced rules, ones that you yourself create and follow (such as Nuzlockes in Pokemon).
Your other question seems to be asking how death is handled in-game, and that is a pretty good question to ask!

Doubtful. This is a story-driven game that is intended to have hundreds of hours of playtime (or at least as much as the Witcher 3). If you want, you can always just delete your save after you die, but don't expect in-game support for a permadeath/ironman mode. I'm sure a mod will add it, if there is mod support.

What do you mean by house rules? One idea I had was, paying to back up your consciousness in the event of death, altered carbon has experimented with this idea.. you would have to be wealthy, or perhaos steal the technology somehow. It could become a priority early in the game to obtain the ability to back up your consciousness.
I don't know if the CP2020 rules have that, but I like the idea of an "in-game" service to mitigate accidental deaths, during a perma-death playthrough. It also plays into the idea of the wealthy having all the best resources.

I doubt they would go with an ironman mode, this world is to dangerous and way to easy to get killed.

Last edited:
I was thinking about how interesting it would be to have a system similar to Dark Souls where when you die you are punished heavily for it to make things more interesting. I mean the PnP game was severely punishing :)

It's an interesting take and I'd be for modes like that. Not sure with CDPR has in store for us but can't wait :D

I'm afraid I totally fail to see the need for a "permadeath" mechanic in games .... ANY games.
You want to play "hard core" ... easy ... when your character dies start the game over.
Or are you telling me the game needs to babysit people because they might change their mind and not restart the game?

I'm afraid I totally fail to see the need for a "permadeath" mechanic in games .... ANY games.
You want to play "hard core" ... easy ... when your character dies start the game over.
Or are you telling me the game needs to babysit people because they might change their mind and not restart the game?
Usually, the game will also add extra difficulties to the scenery to make it really hard. I've known games to add the need to eat and sleep on top of increasing difficulty. In general, just make it a real challenge above what normal gameplay provides, alongside making it so dying deletes a save, its just higher risk.

There could be something similiar to New Vegas' Hardcore mode. CDPR said they aren't sure about Empathy limitations for cyberware... this'd be good mode to have it (among other things of course) if it's not feasible otherwise for some reason.

Those people who think fps is not rpg gameplay just like the people think rpg must TPP. CDPR make game what they think not YOU. IF you think fast paced gameplay in not RPG just no buy this game is not for you

Top Bottom