Community Q&A – Time for some answers

+
Community Q&A – Time for some answers

As promised last week, today weve prepared some information about our upcoming Cyberpunk title. Its great that you have so many questions about the game and we hope that we can satisfy at least some of your hunger for knowledge about the title thats currently being in the works. With that being said, lets get to the main dish.
Below you can find the original questions followed by answers from CD Projekt RED Community Manager, Marcin Momot.
Richie79: What elements are you using as inspiration (references) for making Cyberpunk?
Marcin Momot: There are quite a few actually. Aside from the obvious ones like the works of William Gibson or the Blade Runner movie, we also take from the first Ghost in the shell, both anime and manga. Were also looking up to System Shock because of its interesting approach to gameplay. The first part of Deus Ex is also a very important source of inspiration to us.

Guipit: Will choosing your class affect the story? If so, how much?
MM: Its always been very important to us to deliver mature and ambitious entertainment. Its not going to be any different this time around. We want to keep the role system from the pen paper version of Cyberpunk. As opposed to the regular fantasy set-up with mages, warriors and archers, were going for something different. In Cyberpunk, each character role will offer a set of special skills that will impact your stats in many different ways. Thats where the challenge kicks in, we want to create a game where character customization will be strongly tied with the plot. Now going from that, we believe that we can make a game where, with many different role choices, you will get a very strong, engaging story, just like it was with The Witcher.

Mihura: Will there be full customization of our character like a DD game, things like gender, ethnicity, moral stand point, sexuality...etc or we will be restrict to something like Geralt from TW2?
MM: We definitely want to give players way more freedom with customization of the main protagonist then they had with Geralt in The Witcher series. We are planning on letting them change their statistics, equipment, implants and much more.

Saoe: When can we expect to see more info, screenshots or first videos from the game?
MM: I keep bothering guys from the art team to release some new content soon but they dont want to listen to me for some reason. I wont give up though, so make sure to follow our website and social media because when I finally convince them, you will be the first ones to know.

Geralt The Riv: Will the setting be a totally new designed by CDPR(You know like name of the planet, country, state, city etc) or just a mimic of a current location?(New York, L.A. Miaimi etc.....)
MM: Cyberpunks story takes place all over the world, but were going to focus on its most characteristic venue - Night City. One thing is certain, we want to make a game with an open, living world that stays true to the source material.

goopit

Forum veteran
Yay! I'd edit your post to have different color and font for Marcin Momot. Just sayin.

Thank your for your time, Mr. MM. I don't know why but I feel I'll love your cyberbpunk. I already do it, in fact! ;)

Aditya

Forum veteran
I was waiting when this will show up! thanks guys :) can't wait for more stuff! perhaps more answers next week or so? and keep pestering the art guys :D

I wonder if they're going to reuse the RED engine for Cyberpunk. It should be interesting to see how it will look in a futuristic setting.. :)

yes yes yes!!! CDPR more please!! eagerly awaiting screenshots and hopefully u guys wont use a gold black filter like in Dues ex HR!! haha

Good questions, good answer but damnit I want the game now! I can't wait anymore. CDPR has quickly grown to be my favorite fucking developer and they became so out of nowhere. Making mature, engaging, complex and difficult games when the rest of the industry are busy ripping each other off and remaking the same game yet calling it a sequel.

Looking forward to whatever you do guys. Can't wait!

Thanks!

I'm curious about the answer to the inspirations question though - the only games called ShellShock I know of are the rather mediocre third person shooter Shellshock: Nam '67, and its even worse sequel. Is there any chance you meant System Shock?

EDIT: There's apparently also some sort of gangsta-themed tank game(!?) called Shellshock, but that can't be it either?

Thanks for the answers!

I've never been all that interested in the cyberpunk genre, but if CDPR makes it, I know it'll be so wonderful that I'll enjoy it, anyway.

pbpoovanna said:
yes yes yes!!! CDPR more please!! eagerly awaiting screenshots and hopefully u guys wont use a gold black filter like in Dues ex HR!! haha

This please! I hate it when a game uses a damn color filter. FO3's green filter, New Vegas orange and Deus Ex's gold.

Shame to not see anything about an SDK.

You didn't really clarify if you could choose your character's gender or not, because, while I will probably enjoy the game regardless I know a lot of people who didn't like the Witcher just because of that. I'd just appreciate if you made that clear.

Very cool.

My only gripe thus far is a rather minor, personal preference thing, with the picture in the article: The hexagon pattern on the neck puts me off completely. It was the first thing I noticed and such things always scream of cliche.

The issue isn't how it looks as the patterns can look spectacular but I'm of a similar opinion to Jonathan Jacques-Belletete, the art director for Deus Ex: Human Revolution in that hexagons, as a purely aesthetic choice, are extremely overused in futuristic environments. They're the "go-to" shape and because of their being so cliche, they can look rather tacky.

They - like every other overused design decision - can be made to look good, but that doesn't happen often, and most designers just throw random shapes everywhere without asking themselves why. "Because it looks cool" is a reason, I just don't think it should be the main reason.

Before anyone bashes JJB because Deus Ex happens to use liberal amounts of hexagons, consider reading where the statement was made.

Top Bottom