Crossbows. Yay or nay?

+

Crossbows. Yay or nay?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize the Witchers who are blocking the arrows or bolts are actually training, right ?
They are training to be able to parry bolts and arrows, that's why the bolt is not sharp. The head of the bolts they are using is round, if you pay attention to where it says ZiNNN. They are not training in archery, they are training against archery.
For your second point, Why would you need bombs and bolts to help you fight when Geralt is a mutant and one of the best swordsman of his time ?

Last edited:
I don't assume that exactly. All i am saying its one of possible scenarios.Thats why i said its just one of many possibilities. My point is that we don't know so we shouldn't categorically say one way or the other. You make it sound like its a fact (using it in combat will have a heavy impact)

I am not really sure what point you're trying to make here. Yes, it is one of the possibilites that are being discussed here. And it was the one that we happened to be talking about. So my comments are referring to that particular issue. I've talked about other possibilities in previous posts.

Seven books and a couple of reference about Geralt shoting.... That's really a great base for lore.
Yes, of course, thee's no mention about Geralt recollecting plants for his potions.... but following a logical line he do it. And CPDR was forced to added it in games because one of the 3 main skills. And Geralt uses potions all through the games
But bolt and arrows? do you mean like catapultes? Yes, of course, he can use them too... but not as a style of life....

You realize the Witchers who are blocking the arrows or bolts are actually training, right ?
They are training to be able to parry bolts and arrows, that's why the bolt is not sharp. The head of the bolts they are using is round, if you pay attention to where it says ZiNNN. They are not training in archery, they are training against archery.
For your second point, Why would you need bombs and bolts to help you fight when Geralt is a mutant and one of the best swordsman of his time ?

Yes, but when they use crossbow, they teach how used it... Look at quotes (he hunting with a bow/crossbow)...

Geralt is the mutant, but that does not mean it is the best swordsman... But we talking about hunting...

Yes, but when they use crossbow, they teach how used it... Look at quotes (he hunting with a bow/crossbow)...

Geralt is the mutant, but that does not mean it is the best swordsman... But we talking about hunting...
I did not say Witchers don't know how to use a crossbow, I said they are not skilled archers. they are more skilled in parrying bolts and using their swords. If this was a training for getting better at archery, the they would have used actual bolts (not round bolts) and archery targets since you have to be so precise to hit an animal in the heart to bring it down with one bolt.
It is repeated constantly in the books and the games that Geralt is a legend in swordsmanship, and if not the best he is one of the best. He is most famed for his skilled in swordsmanship, and you re telling me he is not ?
As far as hunting goes, a crossbow is not the only way to hunt.
And I'm done. This discussion is useless, unless a RED such as @Marcin Momot clarifies that what the role of the crossbow is and how it's implemented.
Since no RED has interfered yet, I assume that they themselves are not sure wether to implement it or not or how it's going to get implemented.

I don't teling he's not, he's one of the best swordsman, but I don't want talking about fight, I don;t want fight with crossbow, I said, only one shot before fight it's ok, but not fight it, as swords...
I give you quotes where we read, he hunt with a crossbow/bow, it's not mean its only way to hunting, but one of the best.

I teaching shoot crossbow maeybe one week, and I was doing well, they ussing crossbows many years, not only to training, but to hunting. They must hunting becouse to Kaer Morhen don't flocked merchants, and they mast eating something, it's a logic...
Finally they by many times beyond civilization and they must hunting becouse they die...

Last edited:
I don't teling he's not, he's one of the best swordsman, but I don't want talking about fight, I don;t want fight with crossbow, I said, only one shot before fight it's ok, but not fight it, as swords...
I give you quotes where we read, he hunt with a crossbow/bow, it's not mean its only way to hunting, but one of the best.

I teaching shoot crossbow maeybe one week, and I was doing well, they ussing crossbows many years, not only to training, but to hunting. They must hunting becouse to Kaer Morhen don't flocked merchants, and they mast eating something, it's a logic...
Finally they by many times beyond civilization and they must hunting becouse they die...

Except this has nothing to do with survival and Geralt isn't away from civilisation, hunting is a source for crafting components and nothing more. Unless you practiced on live animals its irrelevant, crossbows are designed for ease and shooting at single targets isn't any more difficult. Not to mention you're forgetting naturally hostile animals can be eaten as well along with monsters.

The crossbow is strapped to Geralt's back, next to his swords. You can therefore surmise that it's not an additional weapon like a dagger or bomb but rather something as essential as a sword.

Axii can calm animals, so obviously it would be possible to use it on an elk and kill it without it running away.

Geralt doesn't use crossbows and Geralt doesn't need a crossbow, therefore the implementation is useless unless the REDs are pandering to people unfamiliar with the series or to casuals that don't like difficulty.

What if we could buy saddles in the game? And those saddles would be sort of like your survival kit ? let me explain:

You go to a merchant who sells horses, and there are two stalls, one is for purchasing horses and the other one for buying or upgrading your saddle(if you tamed a horse in the wild you would only have to get a saddle), on your saddle you would have Saddlebag(storage), camp kit, crossbow (for hunting),and maybe the fishing pole we all want so much(well at least me),all upgradable with money and pelts, claws, etc so the crossbow would be a part of the saddle kit and would be upgraded along with the rest of your saddle tools, and you would have to pick it up from and drop it off on roach, if roach got killed you would go to a horse merchant and he would sell you a saddle with the same upgrades you had for the price of a normal saddle, so the money would be the punishment for letting roach die.If they did something like this all they would have left to solve would be to discourage use in combat, here are some ideas that would work imo: by making Geralt slower or clumsier or maybe even lowering his damage when carrying the crossbow, or by making him have only two slots on his back, so when you pick up the crossbow from roach you would have to leave one of the swords with her, so if you go hunting you will always be vulnerable to one half of the enemies of the game(this would even add a tactical element imo), plus if they did this they could add cooler types of hunting crossbows (like the big rifle ones) without sacrificing lore.

Just an Idea, I hope it helps to bring us closer to the middle ground of mutual satisfaction in this debate.:cheers:

I actually think something like this would be a good solution, the 2 slots idea for me work better and it would be fun if you could change the look of the saddle.I Haven't read the books yet but I played witcher 2 many times, and the crossbow on his back all the time bothers me a bit, if they put the crossbow in they game they should try the best they can to make everyone satisfied. I really like cdp red I think they will find a way to make everyone happy.

Except this has nothing to do with survival and Geralt isn't away from civilisation, hunting is a source for crafting components and nothing more. Unless you practiced on live animals its irrelevant, crossbows are designed for ease and shooting at single targets isn't any more difficult. Not to mention you're forgetting naturally hostile animals can be eaten as well along with monsters.

The crossbow is strapped to Geralt's back, next to his swords. You can therefore surmise that it's not an additional weapon like a dagger or bomb but rather something as essential as a sword.

Axii can calm animals, so obviously it would be possible to use it on an elk and kill it without it running away.

Geralt doesn't use crossbows and Geralt doesn't need a crossbow, therefore the implementation is useless unless the REDs are pandering to people unfamiliar with the series or to casuals that don't like difficulty.

In Skyrim isn't survival too, but if someone want, he can get mods... When many people don't hunting it's not mean I or some on who like it, too cannot do it... I don't need crossbow to do it, give Geralt bow, ah, I remeber, bow is breaking lore...

And, no, I don't want hunting with sword/dagger and axii...

Crossbow on Geralt's back don't mean anything, it's big, and maybe does not fit elsewhere... And if its a weapon, it's not mean, you must have it...

Useless to you, not to me, and many people who want crossbow, you must understod that...

You can not convince me, I do not convince you, this conversation is pointless ...

In Skyrim isn't survival too, but if someone want, he can get mods... When many people don't hunting it's not mean I or some on who like it, too cannot do it... I don't need crossbow to do it, give Geralt bow, ah, I remeber, bow is breaking lore...

And, no, I don't want hunting with sword/dagger and axii...

Crossbow on Geralt's back don't mean anything, it's big, and maybe does not fit elsewhere... And if its a weapon, it's not mean, you must have it...

Useless to you, not to me, and many people who want crossbow, you must understod that...

You can not convince me, I do not convince you, this conversation is pointless ...

Understanding somebody's opinion is not meaning to share it neither trying to convince the other one. I easily can understand (despite I'm not @Ðarkstar) those who buy a car and add to it several peices in order to make it more personal. That's good, but if a majority don't like that it cannot become an imposition, the majority prefer the original with some, few, very few reasonable improvements.
CDPR created The Wticher saga just for you to play as the Witcer GERALT. There's a lot of people who even want a fourth game in Witcher's world but with a different character, maybe a full-customized main character like all most RPG's in the world. I'm one of those!! But Geralt's story, not yours and yours "And, no, I don't want hunting with sword/dagger and axii..." Geralt does it that way.
A bow or crossbow in Geralt story is like place a third woman in his life beside Yennefer or Triss, which kind of Geralt's fan could accept it?
You, as some like you, forget that Geralt is a pre-determinated character (not an EA-Bioware character) and he DOES NOT DO what player wants but what his story reclaim: common sense.

Last edited:
"CDPR created The Wticher saga just for you to play as the Witcer GERALT. There's a lot of people who even want a fourth game in Witcher's world but with a different character, maybe a full-customized main character like all most RPG's in the world. I'm one of those!! But Geralt's story, not yours and yours "And, no, I don't want hunting with sword/dagger and axii..." Geralt does it that way."

-It's me character, I play as Geralt, but it's my and only my decision how I play, I can do Geralt sorcerer, I can play as explorer, when I want I kill someon, I can fight with a halabard (W2), only with a bombs, or throving knives, noon said me what I mast do it... Only CDPR can do it.

-Give me one quote where he hunting with axii...
I can give you when he killed a goat by a shot, or maybe he was shooting with a slingshot? You must understod too, somebody imagines Geralt differently than you, I imagine he with bow when he hunting, its mean my Geralt is worse as you Geralt?

"A bow or crossbow in Geralt story is like place a third woman in his life beside Yennefer or Triss, which kind of Geralt's fan could accept it?"

If CDPR give us chose I accept these, becouse IS MY CHOSE, no someone else...

"You, as some like you, forget that Geralt is a pre-determinated character (not an EA-Bioware character) and he DOES NOT DO what player wants but what his story reclaim: common sense."

Yes but it's not mean he don't hunting with BOW/CROSSBOW, I give you quote, with BOOK, not with my imagination...

Last edited:
OK, you're right.
I voted
I gave my opinion

I'ts YOUR choice, YOUR opinion, YOUR taste, YOUR way to play Geralt. That's fine to me.

This discussion has been going in circles for some time now, I imagine CDPR will want to keep the crossbow, we have voted and we have spoken our minds, so all we have left to do is hope that they take our thoughts into consideration and do it in a way that lets each player decide how much it will be a part of their experience, @shasiu I'll use your own logic to explain my point to you: just because you imagine your Geralt with a crossbow on his back all the time doesn't mean my Geralt has to have one on his back all the time too. I will finish by saying that if they did something like the 2 slots on his back idea I mentioned earlier I would be absolutely fine with any kind of crossbow they put in the game, rifle, heavy, pellet, etc.

Now, to the REDs that are so dear to me I humbly ask: Please don't impose this on all the players that don't like it.
cheers to all and now I'll give this thing a rest :cheers:

One thing that I have always found interesting is that the mere presence of a specific game feature can get people riled up. A friend of mine never plays the Elder Scrolls games because they contain fast travel and yet it is very easy to not use it and act like it is not there at all. When looking at some of the comments here I think that a few will dislike the crossbow, even if they can avoid using it completely. Would the mere presence of a crossbow really be a problem when it is just another option like a polearm or say a mace?

I think the core of the problem is that a crossbow is not a polearm or a mace - both optional but still melee weapons.

At it's core though, if a crossbow is an extra option, being not required in any shape or form, would it really be worse than a mace or polearm? Yes, the latter two are melee but all options do not really suit the Geralt from the books at all. Does the fact that it is ranged make it that much worse?

I think the core of the problem is that a crossbow is not a polearm or a mace - both optional but still melee weapons.

And that's why we can enjoy these works.... by genuine CDPR's humour sense and stunt team

[video=youtube;tvrQt6s7a-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvrQt6s7a-0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I can said only: no one have right, because all imagine Geralt otherwise, CDPR must satisfy various fans, and it's not mean, if someone like crossbows/bows/knives/bombs/etc, he is smaller or bigger fan, it's CDPR imagine of Geralt, not my, not someone else, and I must accept ...

I belive of CDPR, and i know they don't disappointed me, and give chances chose...
And I understod, if crossbow aren't optional it's problem, but if it is optional?
It's logic, if its optional I can use it or not... But if I not use it, it's not mean, all other people can't use it, and it's unnecessary, I give chance people who like it (I never said throwing knives or bombs are unnecessary, because I don't use it, and they must fly out of the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom