Disco Elysium

+
Simply the best RPG I've played since Witcher 3. Different kind of RPG than Witcher 3, very much so, but utterly absorbing if you like BG 1 or 2, Fallout 1 or 2, Pillars of Eternity or Planescape Torment. Might be nearly as good as PS: Torment.

Currently I am a would-be superstar disco cop, trying to stay off the booze, who uses his logic, drama and savoir-faire (actually all skills) to solve crimes - badly.

I am also running a bruise cop whose connection to the city and ability - and preference for - absorbing pain tells him things.

I have no pants, but some very nice shoes.

I collect bottles to make money. I haven't found my gun yet.

Give it a try!

It's on GoG, of course, as all good things are: https://www.gog.com/game/disco_elysium

DE2.JPG

DE.JPG

Been following it since it was called No Truce with the Furies, art style of the game grabbed my attention back then. And now, when it's actually released - gotta say i'm impressed. You can sense that (can't find a better word) enjoyment people felt while working on that game, that dialogs, very pleasant experience so far.

Last edited:
So just to protect people from buying this ill just repost what i said on acgs video..

For the record i generally enjoy adventure games (Sam and Max/Deponia is what i would recommend) and think the original planescape torment is one of the best written games ever (the comparison of this "pile" to PST is quite frankly insulting)

Are you serious? This is one of the WORST written games i have EVER seen. And its a bloody adventure game! There is nothing else to it except the written dialogue!!

The main character literally has the same handful of dialogue options in every conversation:
- Im an alcoholic
- Im a communist/fascist/liberal/democrat
- Im the harbringer of doom
- Im a cop
- EVIL WOMEN!

Its so bad that they even try to make "4th wall jokes" about how stupid their dialogue options are MULTIPLE times. Well jokes on you - if your dialogue is legit bloody awful you dont get to make 4th wall jokes about how stupid your dialogue choices are.

There are more characters in this game that are on drugs that are not on drugs. Is that cool writing these days?
A lot of the characters are so flat they LITERALLY include their ONLY DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC INTO THE NAME! "Gary sthsthfascist". And they are as stereotypical and superficial as they can possible be.

Absolute **** for 40 bucks. 40 bucks is what i paid for Original sin 2!

I have like a 10 mile list of all the things that are just pure bad about this sorry excuse for a 40Euro title but ill just leave it at that.
What bothers me the most is how this actually got good critic scores and i cant help but feel nobody played past the first 3 hours of the game. It is just sooo bad.

Last edited:

Sild

Ex-moderator
Heh. I went with the same stat distribution.

4-2-2-4

Detail oriented, high perception detective with good analytical abilities and general knowlage. Also staving off his electrochemical err... dependency issues.

I messed around a fair bit. I tried 4 5 1 2..tempting.. 1 3 6 1...my bruiser who I have to fix the stat values on since math whoops...4 2 2 4 my "pro" and 4 6 1 1 my con man.

Lots of restarts, trying different dialogue, etc. I like how as you play, the dialogue and choices reflect earlier choices - and your skills used.

I can now pick more professional answers - as well as- I'm a supercop! answers. Also Art Cop..although I wiped that save and tried to get past the giant racist by absorbing his thought construct instead. No go..but now I can try to beat my alcoholism!

Crazy game.

i have 50 ish hours in the game (practicly only played the game and sleeped on repeat.) and i love it. it is without a doubt the best rpg i have played within the last years. maybe since fallout 1.

Simply the best RPG I've played since Witcher 3. Different kind of RPG than Witcher 3, very much so, but utterly absorbing if you like BG 1 or 2, Fallout 1 or 2, Pillars of Eternity or Planescape Torment. Might be nearly as good as PS: Torment.

Currently I am a would-be superstar disco cop, trying to stay off the booze, who uses his logic, drama and savoir-faire (actually all skills) to solve crimes - badly.

I am also running a bruise cop whose connection to the city and ability - and preference for - absorbing pain tells him things.

I have no pants, but some very nice shoes.

I collect bottles to make money. I haven't found my gun yet.

Give it a try!

It's on GoG, of course, as all good things are: https://www.gog.com/game/disco_elysium

That looks cool. I love the art style.

And just what I needed, Sard. Another thing I don't need tempting me to buy it. If I buy it and enjoy it, I'm blaming you.

Forum veteran
I went all-in on the first two rows, 5-5-1-1. Drugs are basically consequence-free and tend to make you stronger physically, so putting a couple of skill points into your endurance can offset the health hit and make physical skill checks possible (especially combined with clothing bonuses). One of the thoughts in my Thought Cabinet increases Perception's max, too, so hitting the tab key lights up the hidden facets of the game world like they're Christmas lights.

It's decent! I wouldn't hold it up as an example of a greatest-ever, though, so much as it's a decent attempt in a style that few developers bother with. There are a bunch of times where you can trigger an event and have an NPC who went to bed chime in like they're still around. I've also learned a lot of important information (like the name of the ex-something) that later dialogue fails to take into account. And the dialogue meanders hard at points. Not in a "creatively establishing a sense of place" sense, but in an "our new thesaurus just showed up and we're going to break the writers' kneecaps if they don't make it worth the investment" way.

But I managed to talk my way into a storage container and procure a loan from an individual so wealthy that the fabric of reality warped around him, and that wouldn't happen in a bad game.

So just to protect people from buying this ill just repost what i said on acgs video..
You must be the part of these 7% of people who disliked it. You're free to do so, but you're giving a bad advice here.

Are you serious? This is one of the WORST written games i have EVER seen. And its a bloody adventure game! There is nothing else to it except the written dialogue!!
Well, it's an RPG. Literally. That's exactly how tabletop RPGs operate, except in tabletop you do it by talking, while here you do it by reading (and rolling dice while doing so). If you have a problem with that, then you are simply not into RPGs.

I find writting to be really, really good. I had a lot of fun, because of how the game mechanics and the writting flow so well together.

I think it's the first RPG game I played where your stats actually impact your overall perception, which makes everything you learn as a character stay in-character, because as a player you don't gain outside knowledge. This is brilliant and actually makes your stats very meaningful. And your stats talk to you when you have them at high enough level, which is another excellent feature as it opens a way of stimulating things like addictions or personality quirks that nudge to do stuff you normally - as a player - wouldn't even consider.

What bothers me the most is how this actually got good critic scores and i cant help but feel nobody played past the first 3 hours of the game. It is just sooo bad.
It's clear the game isn't for you. For me - and for many others - it's the best cRPG to date. Or at least among one of the best.

Last edited:
Alrighty -- time to get the tone back on track. Everyone's opinion is welcome and everyone's opinion is to be respected.

If you're posting to share your views on the game, feel free.

If you're posting to try to point out how someone else is "wrong", please don't.

its said 30 hours if you b-line it, 90 if you explore everything.

i endet up playing it for 80 ish hours but i wanna go back in the near future. to get all the shit that i missed. i hope this game sells like hell. couz this one is hocked in an bad bad (but awesome) way.

Edit: i startet over 2 times which acounts for 15ish hours

Last edited:
How long is the game on average?
It varies. Some people said they finished the game in 12-15 hours, but others report 30-35 hours if you are being pretty thorough and don't rush the main storyline. And that's on the first playthrough, which means you'd probably want at least a second, but with different stats.

Forum veteran
It took me about 20 hours to finish almost all of the tasks and explore most dialogue branches, but I'm a fast reader and was using a program to speed up the game whenever there was a lot of walking around or an unskippable cutscene.

Not a fan of the ending. I got a really good variant from the looks of it and it still felt like a total cop-out.

Finished it. Great, great stuff. Turned out
I was a gym teacher! What endings did you guys get? Did you solve the case? Find cool stuff?

more important question: was anyone able to get enought reál to buy the streetlamp and what could possible be the usecase?

yeah had the same @Sardukhar - what was your favorite thought? (in the cabinet)

I will try a new build and and c if that changes anything. even though it might make THE fight brutal.

Top Bottom