[DISCUSSION] Witcher 3 - Reviews

+
So can anyone tell me if CDPR is confirmed to be fixing the framerate problems mentioned in some of the reviews? Is that part of the day 1 patch?

So far the only...negative points judging by these reviews are:

- Main story is heavy on the fetch quests. WTF? Really goes against what the developer has been saying and also some media outlets that claimed they had not seen ANY fetch quests after 10 hours of playing. Lol...really now?
[/b]

I guess ign didn't like the statement cdprojekt gave for DA:I(too many fetch quest)
Not on topic:
Well, I never like DA:I but DA:O I did like.

Official Playstation is review is by far the most biased review for Witcher 3. The reviewer is clearly a skyrim fanboy. Complaining about the "open world" of the witcher 3. Nuts

There will be gamers out there whose idea of "open world" is Bethesda "open world" where it's more sandboxy and you can do anything, steal anything, kill anything, even your own companions. One of the immersion breaking moments for me in Fallout 3 is at the beginning where you can literally kill all of your childhood friends in the vault, which doesn't make sense. Some people would argue that it is true "free choice", for me it breaks the fidelity of the world..

However, I can imagine open world "purists" expecting a sandbox where they have the option to hack to death Triss, Yen, and marry Dandelion and buy a house together in Vizima - then call that abomination "making their own story" and their "personal Witcher journey". For me, I want a wonderfully crafted story from CDPR which is consistent that I can immerse myself in, which is what they've delivered. I don't want a sandbox for griefers, which is probably what the reviewer for Official Playstation was expecting.

Last edited:
I have another question. What exactly is the debug version of the game? That just means that reviewers were playing on a version of the game before any bugs were removed, right?

Kotaku said that as well. Kevin's recommended fix is playing on a higher difficulty level than you were planning too. So I guess I will do that.

That's actually pretty common with review copies too. They usually are not the version that gets shipped.

That is not the case. IIRC they said a few months ago that permanent death is a toggle option when you start a new game, not it's own difficulty.

I doubt it. What is or isn't a "fetch quest" is largely subjective. To a degree, every quest in every RPG ever is a fetch quest. But what makes them interesting is the coating around them. For some RPGs it's because you're role-playing a character, for others it's the combat system, for others it's the story. For The Witcher 3 it should be a mix of all three.
Can you show me the link to where they said that it was not it's own difficulty?

Because a few months ago they called it the "Dark difficulty", hence its own difficulty.
http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/05/dark-difficulty-and-permadeath-how-hard-is-the-witcher-3/

"Dark difficulty. Not only does this setting turn it up to 11, it introduces permadeath."

But as far as anyone can see, there is no dark difficulty and they have said nothing of it since then.

Last edited:
I have another question. What exactly is the debug version of the game? That just means that reviewers were playing on a version of the game before any bugs were removed, right?

I believe they played on debug PS4s, which are identical to normal PS4s except that they are capable of reading "unsigned" discs.

There will be gamers out there whose idea of "open world" is Bethesda "open world" where it's more sandboxy and you can do anything, steal anything, kill anything, even your own companions. One of the immersion breaking moments for me in Fallout 3 is at the beginning where you can literally kill all of your childhood friends in the vault, which doesn't make sense. Some people would argue that it is true "free choice", for me it breaks the fidelity of the world..

However, I can imagine open world "purists" expecting a sandbox where they have the option to hack to death Triss, Yen, and marry Dandelion and buy a house together in Vizima - then call that abomination "making their own story" and their "personal Witcher journey". For me, I want a wonderfully crafted story from CDPR which is consistent that I can immerse myself in, which is what they've delivered. I don't want a sandbox for griefers, which is probably what the reviewer for Official Playstation was expecting.

Can't agree more. CDPR have always been the master of storytelling since Witcher 1 was released. True Witcher fans (a.k.a most who played the previous two installments on PC) don't only care about what the world has to offer, the gameplay mechanics etc, but the storyline is important as well. Most gamers who just jump into Witcher series without ever playing 1 & 2 or read the novels will expect Witcher 3 to be a Skyrim-like game. The storyline is where CDPR excel most and I'm really excited to see what will happen to this saga

Can't agree more. CDPR have always been the master of storytelling since Witcher 1 was released. True Witcher fans (a.k.a most who played the previous two installments on PC) don't only care about what the world has to offer, the gameplay mechanics etc, but the storyline is important as well. Most gamers who just jump into Witcher series without ever playing 1 & 2 or read the novels will expect Witcher 3 to be a Skyrim-like game. The storyline is where CDPR excel most and I'm really excited to see what will happen to this saga

This.

Although CDPR made TW3 newcomer friendly, the newcomers should at least go and play TW1 & TW2 or read the books to understand the world and characters they are going to see, The Witcher series is based on strong story oriented books and therefore there is nothing like defining your own story and your own hero, there are set constants which you have to accept whether you like it or not. CDPR took a unique approach and tried to combine these constants with a variable open world game and that's what excites me. If some reviewers or newcomers are thinking that by open world they'll get some unnamed hero with blank personality then it's their fault not CDPR's.

IGN guys are bunch of kids. Don't take them seriously. May be just like Playstation official magazine, they wanted to ride dragons, or wanted to be dragonborn who saves the world etc. Seems like story was too complex for IGN. They should stick with cliched Naughty Dog stories.

I wound t pay too much attention to IGN's comment on fetch quests.

CDPR have no problem in doing those, but making them valuable with awesome stories and characters, thats their deal.

As for true literal fetchquests, 95% of all quests in all RPGs ever made are fetch quests, so remember that.

IGN, Is that a (GAMER)site who gave a superb Alien Isolation game score 5/10 or something cause Alien is hard (impossible to kill it)?
I'm no fanboy of Witcher-only a fan, but IGN is truly trying hard to minimize effort of CDPR, judging by -for starters short videos of combat (IGN FIRST)

From his Facebook:

"Sry guys I dont have a review copy of Witcher 3 for when that embargo lifts tomorrow. I didt have a PS4 Devkit. Ill review it after release!"

his reviews are pure entertainment but he puts way too many spoilers in his videos, i remember i wanted to watch his dragon age inquisition review, it was just full of huge spoilers and i stopped and watched it again after i finished the game

I'm heavily worried about the game difficulty. I have read several times in different reviews that the game becomes very easy in the second half.
Furthermore it was mentioned that you should choose a difficulty above the one which you would usually choose and that the 2nd difficutly is barely challening. (wtf?, I thought that's the purpose of the first difficulty setting)
It was even written in one of the reviews that the difficulty is "no comparison to Witcher 2". Considering Witcher 2 was a rather easy game imo, this sounds really really worrisome.
The Gamespot reviewer also mentioned that he finished the main story with level 35. That means the final- battle against Eredin, the Wild Hunt or whoever it will be, was designed with a similar level in mind. We know we can reach level 60, so as a completionist the important story battle's will probably become cakewalk's.

Wouldn't it have been if there was a level scaling for some of the main story encounters, to prevent we will just heavily outlevel them? I'm saying this as someone who hates level scaling in rpgs, but I hate too easy und unbalanced games even more.

I have said several times in the last months, that judging by the gameplay videos some mechanics seem to be heavily OP (horse combat against humans, potion changing during combat, Quen once again) but wanted to wait for the game. But with the reviews not only confirming my fears, but also saying that the overall difficulty of the game is rather low, I'm more worried than ever about the game. That's especially disappointing because after all the complaints about the Witcher 2 difficulty right after release back in 2011 I was afraid that they would "streamline" the next game for the mass audience.

Last edited:
@Scryar, yes the 2nd difficulty is barely challenging because that is the difficulty of "Story And Sword".
1st difficulty is "Just The Story!"
If one wants to be challanged you need to go with the 3rd difficulty which is "Blood And Broken Bones!"
While the 4th which is the highest difficulty is "Death March!"

(My guess!) With one of the free DLC you will get the ultimate difficulty with perma-death.

PS: AngryJoe did no justice to The Witcher 3 with his one video of screaming teens and nonsense talk.
In my opinion.

@Scryar

well thankfully, you can adjuct the difficulty mid game, you're not stuck with your choice for the rest of your game, thus being forced to restart the whole game. I don't really see a rpoblem here.

Top Bottom