DLC and platform exclusive content

+
DLC and platform exclusive content

I have been reading up about the release and post release plans for The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and some things I found rather curious.

For starters, DLC will not be paid DLC. So with this point, we have confirmation the game will not be getting content heavy DLC at all since those cost development time and money to produce. What DLC we will be getting will take the form of a single extra quest or some armour and weapons or perhaps some extra simple features that have no real bearing on gameplay such as an extra style of mount exclusive to that DLC. I am hoping for full expansions instead.

And as for platform exclusive content I am referring to actual content and not the platform specific functions and game mechanics like Kinect, Touchpad and Mods. TW3 is apparently NOT having platform exclusive content at all. This one is really puzzling to me as that is a lot of money CDPR are not getting. It is like they are allergic to money or something.

I am not complaining or anything as I personally like the stance they are taking on both topics but to me it is just rather odd.

My 2 cents,
I think the guys & gals @ CDPR are just a bunch of cool, humble, spirited, people and they try to treat us (the fans) the way they would want to be treated. ;)
I also believe in the success of TW3, and that one day (we the fans) we'll be more than glad to pay for a well worthwhile expansion.
CDPR is just that fucking cool, they got my love.

CD Projekt Red, Game Developer of the gamers by the gamers for the gamers.

Yep, that is also true.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
DLC and platform exclusive content annoys me. I will never purchase DLC and platform exclusive content.

I love the god old days when DLC's were included in patches for FREE and expansion packs were sold.

I am very happy CD Projekt RED will be selling expansion packs instead and including DLC's for free in patches and not selling platform exclusive content.

I really hope CD Projekt RED never change and stay this way.

DLC and platform exclusive content annoys me. I will never purchase DLC and platform exclusive content.

I love the god old days when DLC's were included in patches for FREE and expansion packs were sold.

I am very happy CD Projekt RED will be selling expansion packs instead and including DLC's for free in patches and not selling platform exclusive content.

I really hope CD Projekt RED never change and stay this way.

IMO, the only DLC that should be released for a fee are expansions. Stuff like Dragonborn from Skyrim, and Shivering Isles from Oblivion are simply too big and costly to release for free, and I'd rather pay for it than not have them to begin with.

IMO, the only DLC that should be released for a fee are expansions. Stuff like Dragonborn from Skyrim, and Shivering Isles from Oblivion are simply too big and costly to release for free, and I'd rather pay for it than not have them to begin with.

I am a bit confused.
Isn't that what CDPR is going to do? Selling big expensions and giving small DLCs for free?

Platform Exclusive content is a fucking cancerous business practice.
I don't mind Exclusive games. That's an entire game built for a single platform, that's fine. However making a game available to everyone and then locking a part of it off for a single platform just because some company paid you more to do it, fucking disgusting.

CDPR aren't allergic to money, they are just doing the RIGHT THING. The backlash if CDPR did some kind of exclusive DLC or Platform Exclusive content would probably lose them more sales and ultimately money then whatever Sony/Microsoft would pay them, or at the very least it would brew LOTS of skepticism among their core fans.

CDPR also said that they aren't completely closed off to the idea of DLC, however if they did do it, it would be more like a proper expansion then a simple little piece of 3 hour content that you get charged $15 for. Personally I don't see the problem with no DLC, if there's enough content in the base game, it's completely unnecessary. The Witcher 3 is going to be an open world game, with over 100 hours of quest content alone and lots of choices which allow for replayability, DLC packs and even expansions is IMO completely unnecessary, go put EVERYBODY on 2077 and make us a new game. Provide a rock solid base game with tons of content and whatever patches afterwards is required to fix any bugs and that's perfect.

Yup. And retailer-exclusive game content is worse. They can give away free keychains as much as they like, but the minute they get game content, however trivial, it really, really sucks.

CDPR aren't allergic to money, they are just doing the RIGHT THING. The backlash if CDPR did some kind of exclusive DLC or Platform Exclusive content would probably lose them more sales and ultimately money then whatever Sony/Microsoft would pay them, or at the very least it would brew LOTS of skepticism among their core fans.

Yup. They're proving, I hope, that ethical business practice DOESN'T mean reduced profits. Goodwill and brand image have value. If they announced Day 1 DLC, I don't think the result would be a sudden surge in sales, I think it would be a sudden surge in cancellations of pre-orders.

But I disagree with you on expansion packs. I think it would be good for them, and for us, to keep the franchise alive by doing one or two decent-sized expansion packs. It gives them extra revenue, and I would guess that when expansion packs come out, it brings in new sales on the games themselves.

Oh, and they really should do the T-shirts and physical collectibles, we've all been saying that for years. I'm totally in favour of them making lots of money as long as we get value from it.

Well, I'm not adverse to Expansion Packs. As long as the content is solid and people aren't getting ripped off, I'm totally cool with that. I love DLC for the concept that it is, the problem is publishers putting value on DLC that it just simply doesn't have. I doubt CDPR would release an expansion pack, slap say $25 on it and only make it a 5 Hour piece of content. Heck, a $25 Expansion Pack from CDPR would probably be longer than most AAA $60 games these days.

I'm just saying it is unnecessary. I've got plenty of games on my shelf that never received a single expansion pack or DLC and I love them all the same and continue to replay them to this day. Would I love it if CDPR released a Witcher 3 Expansion Pack with more content, new area/s and additional story content? Fuck yes. Do I think it's needed? Nope. If the base game is satisfactory, people will be satisfied.
If I had to chose between a Witcher 3 Expansion Pack or additional Cyberpunk 2077 content in the base game, I'd take 2077.

And yes, they DEFINITELY need to open up a Merchandise Store. Goddamn I want that Pewter Statue they were giving out at E3.

I´m glad someone does this. Showing to people that game can be done this way and not like most aaa titles do it. Maybe it can change course of things if developers will see CDPRs succes.

I don't mind Exclusive games. That's an entire game built for a single platform, that's fine. However making a game available to everyone and then locking a part of it off for a single platform just because some company paid you more to do it, fucking disgusting.

CDPR also said that they aren't completely closed off to the idea of DLC, however if they did do it, it would be more like a proper expansion then a simple little piece of 3 hour content that you get charged $15 for. Personally I don't see the problem with no DLC, if there's enough content in the base game, it's completely unnecessary. The Witcher 3 is going to be an open world game, with over 100 hours of quest content alone and lots of choices which allow for replayability, DLC packs and even expansions is IMO completely unnecessary, go put EVERYBODY on 2077 and make us a new game. Provide a rock solid base game with tons of content and whatever patches afterwards is required to fix any bugs and that's perfect.
I get the feeling you have been burned in the past judging from all this negativity.

First off the money they get from corporations for exclusive content is not by any means insignificant. It is pretty obvious it isn't as nobody would do it otherwise. And since everyone who is anyone is doing it. There is no evidence to prove they would lose any money at all from doing exclusive content. If anything they have a lot more to gain by doing so.

And DLC is very very rarely $15. In comparison to ALL released DLC and I mean all of it, there is maybe 2/10 that are over $10.

And DLC is very very rarely $15. In comparison to ALL released DLC and I mean all of it, there is maybe 2/10 that are over $10.

Even if most DLCs cost something like $6,99, just imagine a game where you have something like 10 DLCs with different content or stuff you need/want.
That means you have to pay ~$70 just for extending a game where you have already paid $60/$70 for.
Do you really think anyone thinks this is ok?

I get the feeling you have been burned in the past judging from all this negativity.

First off the money they get from corporations for exclusive content is not by any means insignificant. It is pretty obvious it isn't as nobody would do it otherwise. And since everyone who is anyone is doing it. There is no evidence to prove they would lose any money at all from doing exclusive content. If anything they have a lot more to gain by doing so.

Nope, never been burned, it's just a cancerous practice. Look at Destiny - Playstation players get all this exclusive content, timed exclusive content that Xbox players won't get until who knows when in 2015 (And my main console platform is a PS3). And then even their expansion packs have been announced to have timed exclusive content in them. You buy one version of a game, everybody should get the full game, not little extra bits and pieces chopped up and sold to the highest bidder.
You can argue of course that the extra content these games provide is 'insignificant' and whilst that could be somewhat correct, it's a disgusting business practice regardless and something I will not support. If you pay $60/50/40/30 whatever, you should receive the exact game everybody else does.

CDPR is a company that has built itself on a core fanbase. They started out on the PC, Witcher 2 was a PC exclusive for awhile, they offered Enhanced Editions FREE to all previous owners of the game, they did retailer exclusive DLC for TW2 and after realizing it was wrong, patched it to everybody shortly after release. This is their image now, a company that doesn't support those typical horrible business practices that "Everyone who is anyone" is doing. If they announced Exclusive Platform based content, many people would feel it a betrayal of their trust and the company falling for that typical modern gaming AAA bullshit. If they did that, I know personally I would probably cancel my pre-orders for TW3 and find some other way to play it, because I simply won't support that rubbish. I'm sure many others feel the same way.

The $15 was just an example - not to be taken literally as me inferring that every single piece of DLC is $15.

We always have Ubisoft for when we want to be bent over. In all actuality, the free DLC they gave away for both games is something most devs would charge for. I blazed through Shadow Broker (15 usd) far faster than all the story content given post release for TW2. Not to mention Arena which I spent dozens upon dozens of hours in.

We always have Ubisoft for when we want to be bent over.
Pah.

Nice and so true, but don t we miss another one there? Valve does the same ;) its just more cloaked as "Service"

<3 CDPR all over the ***** you know what i mean :D

I assume you start gaming (or based your perception of gaming industry) after 2008 or so, because if you start prior, you will immediately realize that any games, no matter the platforms, hardly charge anything after the first purchase. The truth with today's gaming scene, is that it has evolved drastically from a focused, dedicated core fanbase into every mass pop culture media format, and the only thing on the major publishers' mind is how to squeeze out more $$ out of the consumers. DLCs are clearly the testimony of this practice. (I am definitely not suggesting all DLC are bad, but most of them clearly do not exceed their pricing.) This might be a little more cynical of a view compare to the reality but you get the idea.

Also, If you are worried that the lack of DLC means the devs will stop support TW3 after a while, rest assure. CDPR will support the hell out of your game until the end of time -- any forum members and veteran CDP fans will back me on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom