Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Ah, so much tension. Amazing.

Anyway, back to DA:I, the tactical mode seems a bit clunky to me from what I've seen. I wonder if I'll just get used to it or if it's going to end up being a minor annoyance for me. Povided I even buy the game, of course.

It seems like it might be a bit tedious, but it looks pretty detailed as far as what you're capable of doing. Better micromanaging.

One thing I did notice though is despite all the careful preparations the dev made against what he called rather weak and average enemies, he still managed to take quite a bit of damage. So I wonder how useful it'll end up being anyway.

Ah, so much tension. Amazing.

Anyway, back to DA:I, the tactical mode seems a bit clunky to me from what I've seen. I wonder if I'll just get used to it or if it's going to end up being a minor annoyance for me. Povided I even buy the game, of course.
Which version do you mean: PC or console?

To me it looks quite similar to Origins but with a better range/camera on PC. There were some serious camera issues in Origins which they hopefully improved in Inquisition.

I just don't get why they don't cut the "selection cursor" in the tactical mode on PC since it's pretty redundant with free mouse moving (and the mouse having its own cursor).

IIRC Bioware said that you only "need" tactical view in higher difficulty levels (high and nightmare). Then again you CAN pretty much fight with a well done AI even among hard enemies. I guess it depends on taste much whether you use tactical cam or back cam. Personally, I will probably use the tactical view all the time (I wished it would even be accessible outside of combat...)

Last edited:
I just don't get why they don't cut the "selection cursor" in the tactical mode on PC since it's pretty redundant with free mouse moving (and the mouse having its own cursor).

That's one of the reasons. It also seems to take away from the experience for me, since it feels more distinct as a separate mode than active pause did in DA. Switching between real-time and active pause just flowed better, it was simply a whole, while here it's as if you're switching to an entirely different system when you pause. It's possible this is just due to the way the devs are playing and presenting the game though, which is why I'm unsure what to think about it.

Wait, so the basic freeze time thing is gone now? It's only tactical mode and regular play? I guess I should have expected that, but I thought that tactical mode would just be this optional side mode thing. I don't know of too many, if any people that just play real time no pausing. That might be annoying for those that want to avoid tactical mode.

As for the DA:I characters, we know very little about them so I don't wish to comment on that. I am simply willing to give them a chance, nothing more, based on the fact that they are clearly trying a lot harder after DA2.Whether they succeed or not remains to be seen. Remember that DA2 was put up in about an year and a half, while they have been working on DA:I since 2011 I think.

I too will wait until I make any pronouncements.

However, what I will say is that their efforts to market the characters have been very poor. So far, the impression I have is that each character is limited to one facet. Iron Bull being the jovial personality who likes to drink and fuck, Sera being a butch reckless lesbian, Dorian being the "dashing" in their own words gay guy, Vivienne being "the ambition" as they describe her, and Cassandra being the "tough girl."

For instance, for the latter, someone at Bioware actually described Cassandra , almost verbatim, as "a tough person in a tough situation, dealing with tough problems, toughly."

That, is a very poor way to market your characters, especially after DA2 doing a very poor job making multi-faceted characters. This results in me raising an eyebrow and not being a optimistic. But who knows, maybe it's just the marketing that is sub-par (Bioware had always been shit with marketing).

I mean..."this is the new shit" for DA:O....facepalm worthy.

Last edited:
That's one of the reasons. It also seems to take away from the experience for me, since it feels more distinct as a separate mode than active pause did in DA. Switching between real-time and active pause just flowed better, it was simply a whole, while here it's as if you're switching to an entirely different system when you pause. It's possible this is just due to the way the devs are playing and presenting the game though, which is why I'm unsure what to think about it.
Wait, so the basic freeze time thing is gone now? It's only tactical mode and regular play? I guess I should have expected that, but I thought that tactical mode would just be this optional side mode thing. I don't know of too many, if any people that just play real time no pausing. That might be annoying for those that want to avoid tactical mode.

Wait, I think it's not that bad. IIRC Laidlaw said and showed during the PC stream that the transition between tactical mode and back camera is kind of seamless in Inquisition, similar as it was in Origins. You just roll a bit with your mouse wheel and the camera changes. IIRC you can pause the game in every given situation and camera on PC, not only in tactical mode. You're not forced to used tactical mode when you press the pause button.

Edit: Now I'm sure. Just watch the recorded PC stream from minute 37:00 onwards. Laidlaw explains in detail that the pause mode is pretty special in the PC version and that you can pause the game everytime in every camera mode. He also shows that ingame. ;)

http://www.twitch.tv/bioware/b/577781873

Last edited:
I too will wait until I make any pronouncements.

However, what I will say is that their efforts to market the characters have been very poor. So far, the impression I have is that each character is limited to one facet. Iron Bull being the jovial personality who likes to drink and fuck, Sera being a butch reckless lesbian, Dorian being the "dashing" in their own words gay guy, Vivienne being "the ambition" as they describe her, and Cassandra being the "tough girl."

In other words, cliche and predictable. Part of the problem here is we're all seasoned Bioware fans who can recognize the formula.

Well, let's suppose you guys are right. Maybe the devs are getting burned out, maybe it's time for some new blood in their company.

Well, let's suppose you guys are right. Maybe the devs are getting burned out, maybe it's time for some new blood in their company.

New blood? Bioware barely has anyone from the old school BW in their ranks right now.

IIRC someone checked the teams between ME and ME3 and I think about 10% of those who worked on the first game worked on the last one.

Last edited:
Yep Alistair is my Dragon Age husband I won't hear a word against him!!! The voice actor is amazing, he really voices Alistair very well.

Plus he's a Cat lover ! All of you are wrong ! The absence of Ser Pounce-a-lot after Awakenings is the greatest crime BW have ever committed and the truest evidence of their fall from grace ;)

Och damn... you're quite right... D'oh... ah well it has been a while, and much of it is forgettable, still it was a crime. ;)

You mistook Alistair for Anders? ... in retrospect, I suppose I can understand it in Awakening, kinda. But damn, that's just wrong, lol. On so many levels :lol:

As long as we agree Alistair is wonderful it doesn't matter whether he likes cats or not. Also I don't like cats so it doesn't really bother me.

As long as we agree Alistair is wonderful it doesn't matter whether he likes cats or not. Also I don't like cats so it doesn't really bother me.

*gasp* But you're Princess Ciri! And you wear a cat medallion! How can this be?!? :p

Anyways, as long as DA:I is better than 2, then I'll pick it up. Need something to fill the gaming void until next year.

Top Bottom