Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
I thought I posted this already but maybe not... about Andraste being an OGB, Cole has a banter with Solas about a war in the Fade mirroring human hatreds, and he says "It was wrong to put it in a child. It hurt her." I wonder if he's talking about Andraste as OGB there.

Sera's an interesting character as color, but I can't imagine pursuing a romance with her. It'd be like having sex with a twelve year old. A really ditzy, ADD twelve year old. She needs a parent, not a lover.

Thank you on the first part and agreed wholeheartedly on the second.

I was wondering what the hell Cole was talking about. That makes sense...

I tend to believe that the maker is this huge entity which is over everything and is in everything at once just like the Christian god itself. How come it could banish the old gods in the Deep Roads if it is just another spirit of the Fade? And like the Christian god it never shows itself in person.
My wild theory is that the Maker is indeed kind of the Christian god and all the other entities like the Old Gods are inferior and something like its archangels. Some are good and serve him, some are evil. So Dumat would be something like Lucifer. Or maybe the Old Gods are comparable to the ancient Greek/Egypt gods. Powerful but with human traits and also weaknesses. And with all their power they could not simply create a universe like the Christian god could did. Most likely wrong anyway because this doesn't cover the existence of the elven gods and their relationship to the Maker.

The theory that Andraste is an OGB sound interesting. But I hope that Flemeth isn’t Andraste.(Wasn’t she born centuries after Andraste?)
It’s enough that she is already Flemeth/Mythal and, depending on your choices in Origins, Urthemiel (Archdemon of the fith blight). So she has already two gods to be part of her soul. Another one would be a bit too much.
I also think that she didn’t die in the end of Inquisition because you can see her sending something through the Eluvian. A part of her soul I would guess.

Bioware did really a great job in teasing us for the next DA game... :smiling:
There a many questions left unanswered. For example the existence of red lyrium in the Fade. I’ve wondered why neither my Inquisitor nor my party members mentioned it or even take actual notice.
And I’m also interested in how the Forgotten Ones, these other Elven Gods we also know almost nothing about, will play a role in it in the next game. This maybe turns out as a war of the gods.

Anyway I read recently that the Wardens know of the whereabouts of the last two Archdemons in the Deep Roads. Why they don’t slay them while they are asleep? This would end the blights forever, wouldn’t it?

Wardens are idiot though. The most incompetent bunch of lucky dudes I've seen in a game.

I'm a bit disappointed by the topics left open by DA:I. It's mostly neutral and not subject to moral debates, unlike the ending of DA2 or some of the best quests of DA:O. Elven lore is interesting, but I have no interest of discussing it; no place for opinions, everything for history and facts.

(actually I thought ME3 ending was way better than that)

Last edited:
I tend to believe that the maker is this huge entity which is over everything and is in everything at once just like the Christian god itself. How come it could banish the old gods in the Deep Roads if it is just another spirit of the Fade?
I don't think he did.

But, just because I don't think he's like my God, doesn't mean he can't possess great power. "Another spirit" doesn't mean same as all the rest. Just not as exotic as what we imagined.

Wardens are idiot though. The most incompetent bunch of lucky dudes I've seen in a game.

What really pissed me off in the story of DAI when it comes to the Grey Wardens ...

How the goddamn Inquisition's soldiers managed to slaughter the damn Grey Wardens in that siege, the legendary slayers of the goddamn Darkspawn were killed by normal ass soldiers like nothing, I felt it was very cheap of them to make it seem so, even with their numbers lowered because of the sacrifices the Grey Warden mages did to make the demon army of theirs, also, of how fucking stupid they were to make a demon army in the first place.

What really pissed me off in the story of DAI when it comes to the Grey Wardens ...

How the goddamn Inquisition's soldiers managed to slaughter the damn Grey Wardens in that siege, the legendary slayers of the goddamn Darkspawn were killed by normal ass soldiers like nothing, I felt it was very cheap of them to make it seem so, even with their numbers lowered because of the sacrifices the Grey Warden mages did to make the demon army of theirs, also, of how fucking stupid they were to make a demon army in the first place.
Not every Warden is like your PC Warden. They were all slaughtered at Ostagar, weren't they? And in The Calling they're defeated by Loghain's soldiers. At Adamant, you're just carving a path through them, then they become allies, you don't decimate them.

The Wardens are definitely idiots in this game. Idiots in general, really, with all their secrets leading to tragedy after tragedy. I don't exile them but especially with the revelation that they helped kill the Divine, it's probably better for them to be banished temporarily from Orlais. As for killing the old gods ending the Blights, there is indication (example from Solas) that that is a fanciful theory and won't work. The Blight is shown to be able to seek will elsewhere, such as The Architect and now through red lyrium corruption.

As for the Maker, I think he'll be left vague enough that you can choose to view him as a pseudo-Christian god if you want, or as a Prime Mover, an impersonal force or set of forces. I do think we'll probably learn more about Andraste.

Grey Wardens were idiots in DA:O too. Even in the Calling (the book), they're portrayed as a bunch of ignorant people. They're manipulated by a sentient darkspawn, they're manipulated by Orlais (once more). I couldn't have a bit of respect for Duncan too, especially him.

I still cannot believe the news about the Architect hasn't spead for DECADES. I still cannot believe nobody knows about Corypheus among them. Simply put, they deserve to disappear or be deeply reformed. They always know where are the old gods "dragons". What do they do with that info? Nothing, and we know that even before Origins.

"Normal ass, fanatized soldiers" with top-notch weaponry and armors are way harder to kill than mindless darkspawn without strategy or decent siege weapons.
The Wardens were afraid too, not confident. When you're not sure of your cause or even stripped off your will, you're defeated. Also what they did in Inquisition is not their first mistake.
Wardens made deal with the Architect in the Calling. They use blood magic in the Last Flight or Origins. They were used by Orlais as an invasion army and a Trojan horse (hence Loghain's deserved suspicions) to attack Neverra.

Grey Wardens in DA:I are what they always were. Being one in Origins gave us a biased opinion about them. This is the fastest Blight resolved, and it took 3 to 4 Wardens without any proper ties to the organization to deal with it, thanks to the treaties.

Last edited:
Well if the way to stop the Calling is indeed discovered, it could certainly lead the Wardens to become more down to earth military organisation not so in favor of desperate measures. The joining would still remain dangerous of course, but those who actually pass it would not be so short on time. And the elder Wardens will be able remain with the order, to rule and lend advice to the new members, instead of going to die and taking all their experience with them.

The biggest problem with the wardens is that the whole joining is sort of unnecessary.
Why do you need wardens?

1. To kill an archdemon you need exactly ONE warden to sacrifice himself or one freshly joined warden to knock up a witch.
2. It could be practical to sense darkspawn ahead of time in certain situations.

SO now tell me why are all wardens chugging down darkspawn-archdemon blood cocktails for centuries? Wouldn't it be more practical to keep your bulk force blood cocktail free and with that alive longer then the few decades? Maybe once they get the taint from fighting darkspawn give them the sippy cup as a last resort. Worked for carver/bethany. Those that then drank the blood- cocktail can be squad leaders/scouts for the non poisoned troops when hunting darkspawn. And hey if a blight starts you can still do a big joining so you have a few extra shots at stopping the archdemon.

edit: I'm also pretty sure if they didn't keep the risks so extremely secret you'd still have dozens of recruits lining up at the start of a blight.

Last edited:
If you're bored, then I have two theories related to it, but they're hit and miss like most of this. I think the maker is either Thedas itself, being cast down and killed with Lyrium as his "blood" or the Maker was some powerful spirit, good or bad being relative and he was cast down, killed, and his essence contained in the "golden city", where he takes the form of the Taint.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/535991-old-gods-and-the-maker/#entry18127875

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/5355...inquisition-solas-romance-and-tme/?p=18123792

You know, maybe it could be some of both? The old gods have a physical form, and they have a spiritual form. What if the "maker" is like the old gods, and he is dead, where Thedas is his body, lyrium is his blood, and the Taint is his spirit, or what's left of it?

This would explain why when Corypheus opened the Breach, there was red lyrium around the area. Some of that taint from the black city might have tainted the lyrium that was under ground.

And this would explain why there's red lyrium so deep underground, while up in the fade as well.

Baseless speculation, even more than above, lol:
What would be really interesting is if the "Maker" was cast down and the ones who sided with him were called the "old gods". That would also explain why they have this connection to the taint.

Only problem is if that were true, Flemythal would know of him, as would Solas, and they seem not to. But then, I guess they could be just holding the information. Or they know the spirit for what it is, but don't know they attribute the name of Maker to it.

---------- Updated at 10:31 PM ----------

As for why she looks down on them if Flemeth was Andraste at some point, perhaps because the legend around her and the maker is a lie, and it was another god entirely that she allied with, before she took in Mythal. Like... Dumat ;) But again, just fun baseless guesswork there.

Then again, there is all that tomfoolery with the archdemon spirits and the ritual. God, really hope the next game hurries the hell up. I want answers, damnit. Though the maker stuff will never be answered.

Or what I was thinking Lyrium is THE Stone, and the largest deposit of it is under Orlais, because one Golem in DA2 said that Stone lives under Orlais and several dwarves mentioned when dwarves leave Orzamar they lose stone sense, meaning they have sort of Lyrium withdrawal , but not as strong as Templars, there is no dwarven Mage, and dwarves have resistance towards magic and Lyrium. Think about it.

Last edited:
Or what I was thinking Lyrium is THE Stone, and the largest deposit of it is under Orlais, because one Golem in DA2 said that Stone lives under Orlais and several dwarves mentioned when dwarves leave Orzamar they lose stone sense, meaning they have sort of Lyrium withdrawal , but not as strong as Templars, there is no dwarven Mage, and dwarves have resistance towards magic and Lyrium. Think about it.

Could always be both. Pretty much everyone has some sort of connection to these gods. Would be rather cool if the people the chantry thought were so far from the maker are actually the closest. The stone is his decayed flesh, the lyrium the blood. The taint his decayed essense/spirit.

The fade his mind? Maybe.

---------- Updated at 12:32 PM ----------

I'm probably letting the elderscrolls influence me too much, but it would be beautiful if the Maker never turned his back on the world, but actually gave up his life to create it, once he found that what he made in the fade just wasn't enough. It'd even be tragic if the fade was a reflection of his mind, his imagination basically, and found it lonely. So in order to have company, he made mortals from himself. Like spirits but more "real". And that is why they're connected to the fade. Because it's our mind, once. And that's why we return to it. Except dwarves who stay with the stone.

If you're bored, then I have two theories related to it, but they're hit and miss like most of this. I think the maker is either Thedas itself, being cast down and killed with Lyrium as his "blood" or the Maker was some powerful spirit, good or bad being relative and he was cast down, killed, and his essence contained in the "golden city", where he takes the form of the Taint.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/535991-old-gods-and-the-maker/#entry18127875

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/5355...inquisition-solas-romance-and-tme/?p=18123792

You know, maybe it could be some of both? The old gods have a physical form, and they have a spiritual form. What if the "maker" is like the old gods, and he is dead, where Thedas is his body, lyrium is his blood, and the Taint is his spirit, or what's left of it?

This would explain why when Corypheus opened the Breach, there was red lyrium around the area. Some of that taint from the black city might have tainted the lyrium that was under ground.

And this would explain why there's red lyrium so deep underground, while up in the fade as well.

Baseless speculation, even more than above, lol:
What would be really interesting is if the "Maker" was cast down and the ones who sided with him were called the "old gods". That would also explain why they have this connection to the taint.

Only problem is if that were true, Flemythal would know of him, as would Solas, and they seem not to. But then, I guess they could be just holding the information. Or they know the spirit for what it is, but don't know they attribute the name of Maker to it.

---------- Updated at 10:31 PM ----------

As for why she looks down on them if Flemeth was Andraste at some point, perhaps because the legend around her and the maker is a lie, and it was another god entirely that she allied with, before she took in Mythal. Like... Dumat ;) But again, just fun baseless guesswork there.

Then again, there is all that tomfoolery with the archdemon spirits and the ritual. God, really hope the next game hurries the hell up. I want answers, damnit. Though the maker stuff will never be answered.
Hmmm.... I have another theory. What if the Taint is a self-defense mechanism created by the Maker in case anyone ever decided to betray him? If someone tried to steal his essence from the Golden City they would turn into Dark Spawn Taint and take over the world so that when the Maker became free again he could recreate the world again from scratch.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I have another theory. What if the Taint is a self-defense mechanism created by the Maker in case anyone ever decided to betray him? If someone tried to steal his essence from the Golden City they would turn into Dark Spawn Taint and take over the world so that when the Maker became free again he could recreate the world again from scratch.

It's as possible as anything else. I saw people saying something along those lines before. That it was a weapon, though they thought the elves created it.

---------- Updated at 01:26 PM ----------

But they get a hard on for anything that suggests the elves fucked up, lol.

If that were true it the Dragon Age universe would make so much more sense. The only question remaining would be: what is the Maker? Solas says he doesn't believe the Maker is what people believe it is, but he believes it must exist because something started the legends. Is it possible that it is related to voices in the Well of Sorrows, like Unkindled suggested?
I also like your friend's theory that Flemeth is Andraste. But if that were true then why does Flemeth look down so much on concepts of "The Maker" and the Chantry?

I'm guessing Flemeth looks down on that stuff because what the Chantry says vs. the reality is probably quite different. I mean we know the Chantry doesn't think Andraste is a mage, so if Flemeth is Andraste that's just one thing they've got wrong, and they could have made mistakes on many other things.
And, seeing as we now know Flemeth is Mythal, we also know that the Chantry led crusades against the Elves in the name of Andraste. Imagine Flemeth being Andraste and an Elven god, and she sees the humans slaughtering and corrupting the Elves in her name, she's probably going to feel very angry and disappointed. I know I would, lol.

I've also been thinking that Solas, aka mr Dread Wolf, according to legend, decided to seal the other Elven gods away, which is why the Elves hate the Dread Wolf, bc he separated them from their gods yada yada, and during DA:I he keeps talking about how cool it would be if the veil wasn't there, and spirits and demons were part of the world and the fade and the real world weren't separated any more. It makes me wonder if he's going to try and bring back the old gods and elven gods, because he's unhappy with how the world has turned out, so he's going to try and destroy the veil. Just a theory but it could mean that Solas ends up being the villain in the next game.

I don't think so, not with those orbs he has us activating that strengthen the veil everywhere we go.
He's very vehement that we'd be better off without the Veil. Those things we're busy switching on to fortify the Veil might end up being used to bring it down. Sort of like re-connecting a power grid so that Solas can then go flip the master switch when he's ready. And oh by the way, Skyhold might be the master switch. trolololol

He's very vehement that we'd be better off without the Veil. Those things we're busy switching on to fortify the Veil might end up being used to bring it down. Sort of like re-connecting a power grid so that Solas can then go flip the master switch when he's ready. And oh by the way, Skyhold might be the master switch. trolololol

I thought about that but nah, it doesn't really make much sense to me. You're weakening the veil while it's actively trying to be torn down already while trying to stop him from weakening the veil, lol.

The Solas haters on BSN love that theory though, lol. I'm surprised actually, I thought you'd be going against that :p

Edit: But I won't say no at killing another god, lol. Would be nice if he was the villain in an expansion, but that's not gonna happen. Would be appropriate for an elf quiz especially, combating the Dreadwolf himself.

But I just don't see him as a villain. At most it'd be keeping him from doing something else stupid that he thinks is helping. Like Saren. That could work.

Would be a hollow victory though, considering he can just make you do what he says if he wanted to.

Last edited:
I definitely think it's a possibility that Solas could be the villain in a later expansion. Personally, I hope they make two expansions and turn Dragon Age Inquisition into a trilogy instead of rushing to Dragon Age 4.
Whatever Solas's goal is I doubt the orbs have much to do with it. They're just a minor quest and they're something a casual player could easily forget. So I doubt they're a major plot device.

btw, did we ever figure out whether Solas is literally Dread Wolf or whether he is an Elf with Dread Wolf's soul? Like how Flemeth has Mythal's soul?

Last edited:
@ Finnway: I don't think that's clear yet.

We potentially "killed" Flemeth and you see how well that works out. And that was the Mary Sue Warden who can do no wrong. I think Solas could be an antagonist, but I don't see him as a villain. I just love trickster types too much. You should know that, Unkindled. lol The grey morality is so much more interesting than a paladin do-gooder. Of course I'm hoping for some kind of middle way and a happy ending for Solavellan, Witch Hunt style. That may not happen given that he's a god and not just a powerful witch. If anything, I think a future villain would be an old god or elven god released by him, rather than Solas himself.

Since Solas absorbed at least a part of Flemeths spirit and Flemeth seeks for revenge it's likely that Solas will be some kind of villain in the next installment.
The question is on whom she wants revenge on.
I imagine that DA4 will once again feature a blight and at the same time a war of the Forgotten Ones and the other elven gods, since just another blight would be too boring. :teeth:

Top Bottom