Forced Sharpening in 1.04?

+
Bro, we're talking in different dimensions. I'd like you to try "Red Dead Redemption 2" game at 1080p resolution. I'm talkking about RENDERING resolution here. not necessarily monitor's resolution.

that game looks "horrible" with 1080p rendering. plain, simple "horrible". and it looks stellar, nextgen like, amazing good fidelity at 4K.

up to 2019, increasing resolution didnt matter at all, for games. i could count lots of games where it barely mattered.

But now, almost every game released in 2019 2020 looks horrible, blurry, vaseline smeared at 1080p. I'm talking about games where fidelity matters, like Cyberpunk, RDR 2, and such. These games look horrible at 1080p and no one can deny against that. This sharpen filter only makes the situation worse.

It can be competetive resolution for high framerate competitive games, but i dont care about getting 125125 fps at 1080p in this game. I just want good quality, 35-45 fps and nice, sharp looking game! But its not possible anymore.

If you want to experience these new generation games with acceptable fidelity, 1080p is not an answer anymore.

I have nothing against that!! It can happen. Its an entirely different beast and matter. Its a different topic that I can rant on for hours. I accepted the vaseline smeared, blurred, smudgy looking games at 1080p. What's worse is, these CDPR developers tought a simple post process, instagram sharpener filter COULD solve this issue. It just CANT. it MAKES it worse. they think they did a beneficial thing for users by applying an ugly, instagram-like, post process OVERSHARPEN filter. Well, it does not work like that! It might look better on singular screenshots or in certain textures, but it makes the game weird, pixelated hairs, overexposured character faces, weird looking distances and SO on. It just pains my eyes to look at the game rn. 1.03 was perfect [...]. Just give us a SHARPEN slider.

I didn't say 1080p looked good. I know it's horrible. It was always horrible. We just didn't know better when we used to only that. It's like the people who claimed 60Hz was good enough but never experienced 120 and 144hz. Lol Once you see the greener grass on the other side, you never want to go back.

720p, 1080p, even 1440p in most cases isn't good enough for my taste anymore. That's why I upgraded. I was always targeting 4K HDR 120-144 average frames for the last 4 years. Hardware just kind of made it impossible. We're closer than ever before now, but still not quite there due to games releasing with garbage optimization and pushing the graphical requirements higher.

I brought up what I said previously because you stated 1080p is obsolete basically. And it's not. It's an E-sports or poor man's res. E-Sports people don't care about graphic fidelity. They only care about frames, latency, and easy visibility for quicker target acquisition.

https://pastebin.com/mg5Mh3sV
the game starts with these default settings
Post automatically merged:

you can test it user.ini
[Developer/FeatureToggles]
Antialiasing = true
AntialiasingSuppressed = false
ConstrastAdaptiveSharpening = false

To disable AA: (v1.04)
Go to Install directory Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64, and edit Cyberpunk2077.exe with Hexa software like https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20
Using CTRL+G, search 235B6 and change it from 01 to 00 then 235F5 and change it from 01 to 00

For older game version:
Using CTRL+G, search 23566 and change it from 01 to 00 then 235A5 and change it from 01 to 00

You can now use FXAA in the Nvidia panel to your convinience.

To disable AA: (v1.04)
Go to Install directory Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64, and edit Cyberpunk2077.exe with Hexa software like https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20
Using CTRL+G, search 235B6 and change it from 01 to 00 then 235F5 and change it from 01 to 00

For older game version:
Using CTRL+G, search 23566 and change it from 01 to 00 then 235A5 and change it from 01 to 00

You can now use FXAA in the Nvidia panel to your convinience.

these are the values they changed in yanlyk with patch 1.4

previously, I was responsible for smoothing search 23566 then 235A5

and now search 235B6 then 235F5

now I see that sharpening in the label

I think we can patch the label by returning the old values

Last edited:
Isn't it just for disabling antialiasing? I tried that countless times with different combinations and... yeah, it just disables AA.

• there aren't just different values

only this has changed throughout the game since patch 1.3

only this has changed throughout the game since patch 1.3
Not only this, if you look which files were modified since 1.03 there are two files in engine folder ( where most graphic settings are hidden like \engine\config\platform\pc (user.ini) ) this is shader_final and staticshader_final i don't know what they changed inside of these (opening in notepad make it unreadable) but you can see they were modified looking at "modified date" after patch 1.04

I just used this mod (link) to disable TAA Antialiasing and the the textures now look great. But without AA, there is a lot of flickering. After some testing, I've made a few screenshots to show some of methods. (I used reshade for FXAA injection, and AMD VSR to increase the ingame resolution above 1080p. There is also a SMAA and NFAA filter in REshade. SMAA is barely noticable, the NFAA though is not that bad, but I have no picture showing it atm. Maybe combining them is worth a try.

Imo we definitely could use advanced Anti-Aliasing options ingame with strength sliders.
But I can also see why they added sharpening to their TAA. It also seems to be disabled in certan situations. Maybe on objects close to you, or just on skin? I guess it depends on what "ConstrastAdaptiveSharpening" does and if it is enabled at all.
Anyway, here is the picture @ high settings, game version 1.05:
CP_AA_TEST.png

I don't see any sharpening here with AA enabled, but the skin looks worse, the hair better.
Because of the blur, the pores become less noticable and it makes the skin look artifical. This becomes worse depending on your position.

But I also have the suspicion that TAA with or without sharpening (CAS?) does mess with normal maps and lightning. Maybe that is why some objects look so weird.

Another thing I am speculating is that the game has a dynamic resolution technique when the character is moving, to increase performance. Probably pretty helpful while driving.
I think this also results in pixelated/blurry visuals sometimes, especially with motion blur disabled. (Low res, +blur, +sharpen)
But again, just speculation.
I hope the devs find time to discuss the engine more in detail at some point in the future.

Last edited:
That's disappointing. It shouldn't be a lot of work to integrate a sharpening slider for TAA and DLSS.

Also don't disable TAA folks, modern game engines are relying on TAA for rendering certain effects and without it, some visual effects can get broken.

mip map -1

maybe

maybe

after all the patches in 1080p that still looks shitty, but in 1440p looks fine...i guess

same settings here, 1080p with RTX though

Attachments

• 20201222154824_1.jpg
    20201222154824_1.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 109
  • unknown.png
    unknown.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 128
I've been playing for like three years in 1440p .for me what they did in patch 1.3 is dramatic

in 1080p I didn't see

in 1.3, there was a perfect picture.for my taste

especially the skin.now all the faces look like orange peels

you can't really see it in the screenshots but looks ridiculous in the game, like small black dots on everything
yeah man i know, im playing on 1440p with 110% resolution scaling and game looks good(FPS is not really though hehe), but in 1.03 i believe game looked even better on just 100% resolution scale

Last edited:
I don't know why CDPR implemented the sharpening effect on all platforms, but on my regular PS4 it saves my eyes. In the launch version of the game, the image was so blurry that I couldn't see the faces of the characters in front of me.

Top Bottom