Game Freezing when browsing through inventory

+
Any Devs with an update on this one? It seems like it's a widespread thing and quicksaving before using the inventory and not spending much time in it is killing my enjoyment.

As I told in the similar topic, I solved this problem by switching FPS option to Unlimited.
Good luck!

i know t his is a popular suggestion and thank you, but it's not working for many of us...

this is just beyond absurd right now. i have spent two nights in a row, attempting to play this game, i have played maybe 1 quality hour, 1 hour of BS, and spent another 6 hours of researching bugs, possible hardware/software configurations...

this isn't my fucking job though, and this game shouldn't have been released yet...

Unfortunately, this morning I cant seem to play more than 5 minutes without it freezing up on me. Any action within the inventory screen causes a freeze. Non of the fixes mentioned above provide a solution. I've had maybe 15-20 freezes. Really disappointing as I am now unable to play.

Given the number of people having this issue, I would have thought a quick post from a red to let us know they are looking into it would great. At least I'd appreciate it.

How could such a game breaking bug get past Q&A, the game is brilliant but with the inventory freezing its not worth anything.

Made account here to report that I have the same problem, still after trying to tweak the settings.

I got the same problem only for me this is the second time after 10 hour gameplay and also the bombs i make when they runs out i cant make new ones even if i have all the ingredients. It states that i already have this bomb. I think this is a bug.

granpa.. sigh

not sure if anyone is paying attention to my posts, this is not an in game thing you can adjust to fix it.
its a mem leak, or something in the buffer, this can also freeze when looting many items really fast etc,
not just in the inv screen

did u see the links i put up? one site has already nailed down almost 20 crashes none can really be fixed just trial and error on user end until devs fix the game,

sadly im more upset that this seems a console game vs the pc game its been, but its still wicked fun, just serioulsy annoying when it locks up,
makes me quit the game and play something else for a while, shrug

but if you know what to look for, the mem leaks are there AND are huge, 2 specifically build very quickly, to avoid this, save, quit, and restart the game as with all mem leaks

shrug..

but trust me setting fps etc, cap unlimited , forcing anything in ccc or nvid panel, and borderless vs fullscreen, wont even TOUCH this issue, its not that kind of a thing.

ive worked in the industry since 1992 mainly advents but still, also never with this engine build but...seems an issue in porting imo.

lock down these leaks pls devs we loveith you!
fixxxx the isssssuees ty

Using unlimited framerate, got an hour in before a crash, same without it. The crash frequency is random, you having a period where you're not crashing doesn't mean it fixes it, it doesn't. Limiting the framerate isn't the source of the bug.

---------- Updated at 09:51 AM ----------

I got the same problem only for me this is the second time after 10 hour gameplay and also the bombs i make when they runs out i cant make new ones even if i have all the ingredients. It states that i already have this bomb. I think this is a bug.

They changed the way potions are handled, you need to meditate with the base ingredient and it'll refill your charges for you.

---------- Updated at 09:55 AM ----------

How could such a game breaking bug get past Q&A, the game is brilliant but with the inventory freezing its not worth anything.

I wonder if the new nvidia driver has anything to do with it, they might not have got a lot of QA with the driver.

Hello everyone,

since yesterday late evening, i am having the same problem that The Witcher 3 keeps crashing while browsing Geralts inventory.

The first ~6 hours of gameplay where marvelous, without any issues. But then, from the moment where you team up with

Keira, encounter the wild hunt in the dungeon, try to teleport over the broken bridge and end up alone

the problem arrises. When i open the inventory very briefly and leave it again, i might get lucky and nothing happens.
However if i spent more then ~10 seconds in the inventory or hover the mouse above an item to get its description,
the game will freeze. The PC or Windows do not crash, only the game freezes while sounds and music play on,
the windows task manager shows that the game is not responding ....

What i tried so far (without any luck):
- Completly removed and reinstalled NVIDIA driver 352.86 WHQL from scratch
- Tried the NVIDIA driver 350.12 WHQL (GTA release driver) as well, as this was supposed by some users
- Between reinstalling or switching driver versions, i completly removed all driver leftovers with DDU (an AMD/NVIDIA driver cleaner)
- Played The Witcher 3 in borderless window mode
- Played The Witcher 3 in fullscreen mode

Everything has been to no avail so far though

My rig:
Intel Core i5 4670K (non OC, 3.4 GHz)
Asus Sabertooth z87 Mainboard
16 GB DDR 3: 2x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix PC3-10700 (BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 666MHz @ 9-9-9-24-1T)
eVGA Geforce GTX 780 SC /w ACX
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

The Witcher 3 settings:
1920*1080 resolution
tried borderless window & fullscreen
all graphics settings at maximum, no NV Hairworks though
The game runs quite well, with 40+ fps in open areas and locked to 60 indoors
I am playing the german localized version

As others have stated in this thread, fiddling on the user side might just create situation where the error is delayed,
but the root of this must be in the gamecode. Please CDPR fix this issue....

Are you guys running the game through GOG Galaxy? If so try and launch the game directly through its executable and NOT via the Galaxy launcher, this fixed the menu freeze ups for me entirely.

same problem here. Nothing during the 1st 10h game, but now it happen 1 time on 5 when i press echap on inventory.

Are you guys running the game through GOG Galaxy? If so try and launch the game directly through its executable and NOT via the Galaxy launcher, this fixed the menu freeze ups for me entirely.

Nope, coincidence or luck on your end.

Started witcher3.exe from bin/x64/ folde, resumed my game, went into inventory - freeze.

Not to bring any hopes up, but a combination of three things are at least postponing freezes for me now:

- disable vsync ingame
- set to unlimted fps
- disable hardware cursor

Any of these 3 points alone did nothing for me, only all 3 in combination allowed me now to play and fiddle aaround in the
inventory for about half an hour, where as before the game would crash after a few seconds. Keep in mind, if this works for
you, it is just a half decent workarround, there is none the less a bug in the game that needs fixing from the devs!

Edit:
1.5 hours later: no furhter crash yet ....

Last edited:
Top Bottom