Geralt's scar

+
Well, Vereena slashed his cheek in The Last Wish so it might be the inspiration for the scar came from that fight. But, as we've seen at the beginning of TW2, Geralt's upper body is full of scars so it's most likely just another occupational hazard in the witcher's line of work.

sfinxCZ said:
For me it's also new. In my book, she just did that wound on his neck, but nothing more.

If you really have that in book, please, let me know when that should happened (when he left that tomb and when he was checking her)?

First he fought her and she scratched him over his chest. Then he scared her of. Then when he left the tomb he checked her when she was "normal" again and she opend her eyes and scratched first over the eye and then his neck badly.

imbraman said:
No. Have you read it? I have the book infront of me.

imbraman said:
First he fought her and she scratched him over his chest. Then he scared her of. Then when he left the tomb he checked her when she was "normal" again and she opend her eyes and scratched first over the eye and then his neck badly.
Does the book actually say this or are you just speculating?

eskiMoe said:
Does the book actually say this or are you just speculating?

Yes the book actually say this bro! Don't know if it may be becaouse i have the swedish translated book and the traslator just desided to add some shit. or if it differs in the new or older verison, i have the 1993 version.

You guys interpretate too much into this.

ShoMee said:
[...]
But, as we've seen at the beginning of TW2, Geralt's upper body is full of scars so it's most likely just another occupational hazard in the witcher's line of work.

Yeah, he has like 2-3 dozen scars over his whole body. Even in his face he has at least a handful.

This is from the intro of Witcher 1 before he fights the Striga. So he already got that scar across his eye or CDPR made a mistake, even though they could just check it in the original language.

And that face scar isn't even the worst one, just look at his body.

So it's just one of many.

Edit:
Quote from Sword of Destiny
I'm not feeling very well. I bandaged your leg and healed it as much as necessary. You're no longer in danger.
Don't get up for two days. Even veins repaired by magic can rupture and cause terrible bleeding.
The scar will remain, of course. A new one for your collection.

In original, Polish version of the book, there is no word about Striga slashing his eye. It was only his neck.

imbraman said:
the first big fight mentioned in the book, is the case of Adda, the daughter of a king and queen, whom where brothers and sisters by the way. Adda had been cursed from birth. She was had become some kind of monster. To the point... She hade big claws and scratched him over the eye. So that maybe where he got it from.

Hello everyone.
Perhaps that might be a misunderstanding. In de Spanish version of the book it says that the princess aimed at Geralt's eyes, with her other hand (the other one was gripping his neck), but Geralt managed to hold her on time.
I can't remember if there is something written about the eye scar in the books.

Would it be lawful to post a piece of the story where that is said or would it be against the copyright?

EDIT: Ok, now that I see it, the English version is different from the Spanish one. The first sais that she stricken him in the eyes (but without giving any further detail), while the second one sais that she just pointed at them, but failed. Perhaps if someone has the Polish version it would be clear, as it is the original.

She swiped him across the neck with her talons, cutting him deeply. Blood splashed onto her face. She howled, striking him in the eyes with her other hand. He fell on her, grabbing her by the wrists, nailing her to the floor. She gnashed her teeth—which were now too short—in front of his face.

I think this is what it is being discussed

Well, if Geralt with a scar is CDPR's version (since in previous illustrations, the ones from the comics, for example, there's no trace of it), and he already had it in their version of the fight with the Striga, we can presume he didn't get it in that occasion. So it was probably all just born of CDPR's design to give him character, really.

theFixer said:
Well, if Geralt with a scar is CDPR's version (since in previous illustrations, the ones from the comics, for example, there's no trace of it), and he already had it in their version of the fight with the Striga, we can presume he didn't get it in that occasion. So it was probably all just born of CDPR's design to give him character, really.

probably yeah :)

The scars are cool though! Maaany stories behind them. :D He had never been a grizzled and legendary witcher without them anyway. It's not that he cut himself shaving. :rolleyes:

Maybe CDPR plans it as a visual way of showing that Ciri (who has the same scar) grew into what Geralt is.
After all he has been the person she had looked up to, her knight in shining armor, although Geralt disagrees.

I find it interesting if you look at it that way.
In the books Ciri went through all these heart-tearing situations to grow into a strong character,
and it gives you a glimpse at what horrible things Geralt must have seen to become what he is.

All scars tell a story.
But who knows if we will hear it ?

:)

emperorzorn said:
Maybe CDPR plans it as a visual way of showing that Ciri (who has the same scar) grew into what Geralt is.
After all he has been the person she had looked up to, her knight in shining armor, although Geralt disagrees.

I find it interesting if you look at it that way.
In the books Ciri went through all these heart-tearing situations to grow into a strong character,
and it gives you a glimpse at what horrible things Geralt must have seen to become what he is.

All scars tell a story.
But who knows if we will hear it ?

:)/>

Well said Sir, +1 to you.
Have but read one book including Ciri(Blood of Elves), so I hope soon to read what you already know of her.

BellatorPiusGratus said:
/>

Well said Sir, +1 to you.
Have but read one book including Ciri(Blood of Elves), so I hope soon to read what you already know of her.

Thank you, my friend.
You too get a +1 for your kind words.

I hope all my Ciri talk doesn't spoil anything major for you,
and that you get to enjoy the following books.

:)

BellatorPiusGratus said:
/>/>/>

Well said Sir, +1 to you. />/>/>
Have but read one book including Ciri(Blood of Elves), so I hope soon to read what you already know of her. />/>/>

I'll just say - if you care about these games enough to read/post on these forums, go and read the books. You're probably gonna love it, as we all do, and the knowledge of the story adds so much more to the games. Even more with TW3 coming, where the circle closes and Geralt (finally!) meets his "family". There's so much lore behind those two characters, story so deep.

As for the scars - as people already posted, it has nothing to do with Adda. Some translations may be suggesting it has, or are at least unclear, I come from czech translation, which is probably closest to the original polish, the only wound Geralt brought from that fight is that on his throat, which almost cost him his life. The distinctive scar is just something CDR developers added to give him more personality.

I wonder, how many people will come here after the release of TW3, asking "Where did Ciri get that ugly scar?" />/> Shoo, go read the books. Siriously.

I've read the Spanish and the English version of the Striga story twice. I don't recall him getting an eye injury. To be honest it doesn't surprise me that it varies from translation to translation. Could be just bad choice of wording while translating has muddied the waters. You know, one phrase in a certain language could be conveying that she struck "at" his eyes, another could indicate that she actually landed the blow...who knows, guys?

Point is, Geralt is covered in scars because while he is a badass, he has gotten fucked up and injured plenty of times. I can think of 3 times from the books alone that he has suffered crippling injuries that came close to killing him.

emperorzorn said:
Thank you, my friend.
You too get a +1 for your kind words. />

I hope all my Ciri talk doesn't spoil anything major for you,
and that you get to enjoy the following books.

:)/>

Naah, don't worry about it. I had to suffer worse spoilers from idiot gaming journalists revealing heavy twist endings. In print. With a miniture spoiler warning. Who lets those people outdoors, let alone online I ask? But it's the risk you run when online or speaking to others. So no worries friend, but thank you for caring...and sharing. :D
Here, have an icecream!

As far as I know the scar isn`t really explained . But if I were to hazard any kind of guess then my idea of the scar would be from
Geralt`s fight with Vilgefortz on Thanedd

Caspartine said:
I'll just say - if you care about these games enough to read/post on these forums, go and read the books. You're probably gonna love it, as we all do, and the knowledge of the story adds so much more to the games. Even more with TW3 coming, where the circle closes and Geralt (finally!) meets his "family". There's so much lore behind those two characters, story so deep.

As for the scars - as people already posted, it has nothing to do with Adda. Some translations may be suggesting it has, or are at least unclear, I come from czech translation, which is probably closest to the original polish, the only wound Geralt brought from that fight is that on his throat, which almost cost him his life. The distinctive scar is just something CDR developers added to give him more personality.

I wonder, how many people will come here after the release of TW3, asking "Where did Ciri get that ugly scar?" />/>/>/> Shoo, go read the books. Siriously.

Yo, 'Siriously' man, I'd love to! Because I do love the books, I love them, the two that I've read anyway. I remember sitting on the 14th of February 2009(and I did fall in love that day!) , watching the Witcher 1 game menu rolling before my eyes(the weather and circling birds and music!!!), having just read the bonus short story(Geralt and the Striga) you got with the Enhanced Edition collection. I was stumped. I thought, "wow, they really did good in selling this game. Ambitious to write such a good story to the game".

I had no idea, as probably many more in my country, who Sapkowski was or that he was a national symbol because of these books. I grew up reading Terry Pratchett and Robert Jordan(may he rest in piece) and of course Tolkien. Had I only stumbled over Sapkowski...but then again...I did! Through CD Projekt RED. :D I initially thought the devs hired Sapkowski to write something...to do a franschise like most games now get(producing game-related tv series or books). Boy was I in for a shock when realising it was the other way around! :eek:

After completing the game I immediately sought after the books. But here's the catch, I don't speak the original polish, czech, or russian or any other lucky country that had decent translations. I had to order them from England. Now, I have seen The Last Wish translated to my native language, but I daresay that one look deterred me from reading any further. It was scary-bad compared to english. You don't wanna know that they translated Dandelion to.

So it's english for me, and something has happened with due proceedings. Some rights problems or legal scuffle prevent them from going along with the translations. It's complete bull! I've found fantranslations and was recommended them but I belive in buying and supporting stuff you like. I want to sit with the actual books and just read, not staring at my sceen. That's not for me.

I would buy the rest of the books in a heartbeat. In a heartbeat Sir, believe me, I've re-read both The Last Wish and Blood of Elves several times.

So until they solve whatever legal crap they have with Sapkowski(I guess people smell money, its the usual bull) , all I can do is to re-read the two books I have. And wait for Witcher 3 obviously. Man, I love Ciri! I will finish my rant with this first memory of her:

I played through Witcher 1 with a smile, but the second time with a wider one.
Especially in a certain tavern when listening to the innkeeper in Murky Waters. There's this one line he says after telling a story about a princess. "Her name was Cirilla if that means anything to you."

On my first playthrough, no, it didn't mean anything, how could it? I hadn't read the books. On my second playthrough, God, it meant everything. Thank you Sapkowski and CDPR for the witcher! Thank you!

Top Bottom