Hearts of Stone & Blood and Wine - two massive expansions for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

+
will there be more expantions after these two?
I hope so. Considering they said there won't be another Witcher game with Geralt as the protagonist I'm not really excited for a Witcher 4. I prefer if they release a lot of expansions for Witcher 3 with Geralt as the protagonist and maybe something for Ciri (but only if they include some rpg elements while playing her like a skiltree, inventory, customization etc.). There are still so many places I would love to visit. Gors Velen, Vengerberg, capital of Nilfgaard, Brokiloon, Mahakam, Valley of flowers just to name a few.

Anyway, when I think "expansion" and not modern content-limited DLC, I think "Throne of Bhaal" for Baldur's Gate II. A 30 hours long expansion (at least), wrapping up the story in an epic and satisfying way, adding new powers to use, a new soundtrack, and giving us new areas to explore. This is the first expansion coming to my mind because I deeply love this game, but I can think of other related Obsidian/Bioware old expansions that hit the same high note.
I hope those two paid expansions for the Witcher 3 will be on the same level. Coming from CDPR, I expect nothing less. And I'll be delighted to spend 25€ on something this quality, as long as it expands the story of Geralt and it's not some random side-quest.

We are talking about a new region here. The base game has 3 main regions........... Should the biggest debate, instead be, if such a place is on par with the scale of the current regions?

Most of people blaming CDRP must be new in PC gaming, or too young (AOC, brood war, etc..)

I don't understand how people can be angry. They've announced that the game will be followed with extra content and more gameplay, its a fucking good new, before that, i was afraid that the game would be release and nothing else after, except minor DLC.

For people that think that 30h+ gameplay is not worth to 24$, look at recent game with 8h of duration at full price (hi order 1886).

And some people just discovered that developer need money to work...

I think its just economy of scale. With the main game there is probably some expectation that they are going to sell millions of copies, so its much easier to assume a much larger risk. Generally, single player DLC sells to a tiny fraction of the user base, especially when its paced so far after the main game. In order to justify the expenses that a 30hour DLC comes with, they need to leverage a little more from each individual purchase.
That is a really good point. Even those comparing 200 Hours to 30 price wise, if you take into account demand it meets expected costs ratio. As long as it is good quality not just hours thrown in for hours sake. But then CDPR hasn't let me down yet... I won't pre-order yet but will wait till I get the game itself and see how I like the gameplay before committing.

It offers me the expansions for $20.99.
Have you log in to GOG?

Woops, no, sorry. I was at job and gog site does not mention anything abt discounts like it does for w3.

Then i'll get it next saturday from home. Thank you very much

Last edited:
As a general comment, I say let people discuss whatever they feel like discussing. As a second general comment, the ease with which, at the drop of a hat, really, some call for, say, threads to be locked and, say, discussions to be halted and suffocated is just downright astonishing, especially when voiced, of all places, on a public internet forum! Fellow members, again, by all means, please do keep on discussing what you feel like discussing.

On topic -
Why, of course. Nobody is forcing me to buy anything.

That says absolutely nothing about the value proposition of the pre-orderable expansion pass, whose standards - by the way - should be measured not only against what happens in other industries, not merely against what happens in the videogame industry, but against the standards CD Projekt have set for themselves as of late, notably for the TW3 .

You're entirely free to spend whichever kind of money on whichever kind of blockbuster you deem fit. But please do not offer that example as though it illustrated some sort of overarching consumer ethos that would somehow apply to me. The expansion packs offer good value for money, no doubt about it, just not as much as the TW3, at least apparently.

As far as I can tell, that's the gist of it.

That's a lot of opinion and "big words" for ~ $20.00. You are over analyzing, way over analyzing, a $20.00 purchase.

As for my general comment, you misread it. I am not saying people should not post of that threads should be closed. I am asking people to stop whining like kids. Present a point in a coherent manner, like an adult. And it wasn't directed to you, either. I just didn't think a separate post was needed, so that is what I labeled it "as a general comment".

---------- Updated at 06:12 PM ----------

@Evocative: Independent studios work differently, so your point doesn't apply here. And major publishers can perfectly be criticized for crooked practices when they deserve it.

What do you mean they work differently? An independent studio is still a company, with project managers, business planners, etc.

Let the moderators deal with questions of whether members are lacking perspective or acting immature.

Your point that a customer for a $60 game or $20 expansion pack has no leverage to demand accommodations or better terms, though, is sound. Money talks, and sums less than 4 digits don't talk as loudly as some think they might.

What do you mean they work differently? An independent studio is still a company, with project managers, business planners, etc.

They aren't pressured by the publisher to produce mediocre stuff on regular short term basis and stop supporting it as soon as the next mass market thing comes out. And they aren't pressured to engage in these crooked cut content practices. Independent studios have a luxury of making their own decisions when to release, what to release and how.

Last edited:
They aren't pressured by the publisher to produce mediocre stuff on annual basis and stop supporting it as soon as the next mass market thing comes out. That more or less. Independent studios have a luxury of making their own decisions when to release, what to release and how.

They do have this ability to make decisions independent of "advice" from vulture capitalists and bankers, but it does not negate or overtake the need to run your business according to plans and goals that include making a profit after your expenses are paid. The trade is littered with the corpses of independent studios that forgot the basic rule that the sine qua non of business is profit.

Setting a deadline that is realistic in order to make a market window, setting requirements that can be met realistically within the deadline, spending R&D money at a rate needed to make the deadline while assuring a profit, and not delaying for feature creep or gold plating are fundamental business practices; independent studios are not exempt from them, or do not last long if they think they are.

Last edited:
They do have this ability to make decisions independent of "advice" from vulture capitalists and bankers, but it does not negate or overtake the need to run your business according to plans and goals that include making a profit after your expenses are paid. The trade is littered with the corpses of independent studios that forgot the basic rule that the sine qua non of business is profit.

Yes, it doesn't mean they have no reasonable planning. Of course they have plans and budgets. But we are talking not about that, but about practices which should have no place in the gaming industry. Studios funded by the publishers (bad ones) are forced to engage in them, even if they don't like it.

Yes, it doesn't mean they have no reasonable planning. Of course they have plans and budgets. But we are talking not about that, but about practices which should have no place in the gaming industry. Studios funded by the publishers (bad ones) are forced to engage in them, even if they don't like it.

Actually, it's frequently the vulture capitalists. I use that slang pejoratively, without apology. There are three characteristics of these investors that make them exceptionally dangerous: first, they are in business to make a killing in a short term, such as a 400% return on investment within 5 years; second, they are unalterably convinced that they know how to run your business to achieve their goals better than you do; third, if they get nervous and believe you will not achieve their goals, they will cut their losses by sacrificing your business.

Bankers and mainstream publishers are not much different. The common thread is that they all know how to run your business better than you do, and they demand you make predictable profit by serving an established market.

Last edited:
Actually, it's frequently the vulture capitalists. I use that slang pejoratively, without apology. There are three characteristics of these investors that make them exceptionally dangerous: first, they are in business to make a killing in a short term, such as a 400% return on investment within 5 years; second, they are unalterably convinced that they know how to run your business to achieve their goals better than you do; third, if they get nervous and believe you will not achieve their goals, they will cut their losses by sacrificing your business.

Bankers and mainstream publishers are not much different. The common thread is that they all know how to run your business better than you do, and they demand you make predictable profit by serving an established market.

Yes, indeed. But aren't those usually part of the publishing companies? They usually provide funds to the studio. Unless we are talking about other kind of investors. CDPR have some investing firms as part of their shareholders by the way.

And that short term "follow the greed' attitude is a plague, not just in gaming, but in many other industries, which multiplies mediocrity and slows down technology progress.

Top Bottom