Help Me Figure Out the New Equipment in 3.0

+
Help Me Figure Out the New Equipment in 3.0

Greetings,

I am at a bit of a loss, as I am trying to figure out how all these new items added to the game, fit into the gear progression. I need to decipher these things in order to know what I should do with them while updating my mod, CEO, for the latest version of TW2. Many of these items I already noticed within the files, back in the 2.0 update (addition of Dark Mode), but already then they seemed to be separate from the then-new Dark items (which have their own entries). My guess is that they had not been implemented in the game at all, yet. Now, however, they have (most of them) been given a unique mesh and texture, leading me to believe that they now have been fully integrated into the game, in one way or another. Also, they each seem to have been given their own crafting diagram, as well.

So, please, if anyone who is further along in the Enhanced Edition of the game than I am - and who might even be playing Dark Mode - have figured out where you are supposed to get these items, let me know. Below I will list what I have found, and I will specify which acts in the game they seem to be intended for. Keep in mind that these will be reference names, and the in-game display may appear different.

***EDIT***

Alright, the mod has been done. I feel a bit silly for not doing this to begin with, as looking at the items in the shop allows you to at least see which items are not "complete" and therefore not likely to be found lying around anywhere. Simply doing that, I can tell right away that many of the items I listed are just place-holders, and have incomplete entries. I'll attach the mini-mod to this post, for those of you who want to take a look, yourselves; it adds all the "new" items to the Mysterious Merchant (all acts), so make sure you have that DLC enabled before trying it out. As I suspected, many resource names carry completely different in-game names. I'll try to list what I've found so far. Entries marked with a * are "broken" in one way or another (missing tooltip icon, equip_template, price or what have you) and therefore unlikely to actually be in the game. Also, some of these names are amusing when you compare resource to in-game names...

• RESOURCE / IN-GAME
  • Armor of Craag Ros / Craag Ross Armor
  • Vestement of Devoted One / Blessed Armor
  • Shroud of Baelor / Tir Tochair Armor
  • Wild Hunt Hauberk / Wild Hunt Armor*
  • Armor of Erlenwald / Erlenwald Armor*
  • Cregennan Armor / Armor of Lod*
  • Armor of Drieschot / Armor of Drieschot*
  • Wild Hunt Treads / Wild Hunt Riding Boots*
  • Dragonbreath Sabatons / Basilisk Boots
  • Plane Walkers / Seven-Furlong Boots
  • Lion Spider Boots / Lionhead Spider Boots
  • Wild Hunt Clutches / Wild Hunt Gauntlets*
  • Master Dualist Gloves / Duelist's Gauntlets
  • Gloves of the Monk / Myrmidon's Gauntlets
  • Mongoose Gloves / Mongoose Gauntlets
  • Wild Hunt Legguards / Wild Hunt Trousers*
  • Sentinel Legguards / Vanguard Trousers
  • Abyssal Leggins / Halfling Pattern Trousers
  • Rogues Trousers / Gnomish Pattern Trousers
  • Titans Hand / Blame
  • Shadow Sword / Shadow
  • Abomination Slayer / Reformer
  • Demise of the Cursed / Bride
  • Eclipse / Eclipse
  • Hags Bane / The Good Shepherd
  • Marag Bator / Marag Bator
  • Ichaer Aardanna / Ichaer Aardanna
  • Phantom Edge / Wight
  • Assassins Blade / Judge
  • Surger / Barber-Surgeon
  • Viroleda Longsword / Viroledan Longsword
  • Decapitator / Head-Taker
  • Guardian / Groom
  • Basilisk / Basilisk
  • Dancing Blade / Dancer
  • Archeus / Devil
  • Beannshie / Beann'shie
  • High Quality Nilfgaardian Essenced Sword / Encrusted Nilfgaardian Lawgiver
  • Ceremonial Ellanderen Longsword / Ceremonial Ellandrian Sword
  • Princess Xenthia Sword / Princess Xenthia's Sword
  • Werewolf Trophy / Werewolf Trophy
  • SQ308 Golem Trophy / Golem Trophy
  • SQ307_Natalis_Trophy / Medal of Distinguished Service to Temeria
Click here to download the mini-mod which will add all the items above to the Mysterious Merchant (all acts). Extract the def_shops.xml file into your The Witcher 2\CookedPC\items folder to install it.

REPORTS SO FAR:
Marag Bator (Marag Bator) - Diagram found randomly in Chapter 1. Link Link
Phantom Edge (Wight) - Diagram found randomly in Chapter 1. Link
Dancing Blade (Dancer) - Sword itself found in a chest in a cave during the Chapter 3 quest "Crown Witness." (My own find.)
Master Dualist Gloves (Duelist's Gauntlets) - Diagram found in a crate in the forest, during the Chapter 3 quest "Crown Witness." (My own find.)
Mongoose Gloves (Mongoose Gauntlets) - Diagram found in the Nekker cave outside Flotsam, in Chapter 1. Link
Werewolf Trophy (Werewolf Trophy) - Found on a Werewolf in a cave in the forest, during the Chapter 3 quest "Crown Witness." (My own find.)
Wild Hunt Huberk (Wild Hunt Armor) - Diagram found in the Elven Baths in Chapter 1 as well as the Nekker Cave in Chapter 1. Link Link 2
Dragonbreath Sabatons (Basilisk Boots) - Diagram found in the Elven Baths in Chapter 1. (My own find.)
Lion Spider Boots (Lionhead Spider Boots) - Diagram found in the Nekker Cave in Chapter 1. Link
[Quest-related items spoiler-marked.]
Princess Xenthia Sword (Princess Xenthia's Sword) - Win it as one of several prizes for beating Skalen Burdon in Vergen at Dice Poker. This might have been added in version 2.0, however.
High Quality Nilfgaardian Essenced Sword (Encrusted Nilfgaardian Lawgiver) - Quest reward given to Geralt by Count Maravel upon completion of the Chapter 3 quest "Lilies and Vipers," if Baron Kimbolt alone is implicated.
Ceremonial Ellanderen Longsword (Ceremonial Ellandrian Sword) - Quest reward given to Geralt by Baron Kimbolt upon completion of the Chapter 3 quest "Lilies and Vipers," if Count Maravel alone is implicated.
SQ307_Natalis_Trophy (Medal of Distinguished Service to Temeria) - Quest reward given to Geralt by John Natalis upon completion of the Chapter 3 quest "Lilies and Vipers," if both Baron Kimbolt and Count Maravel are implicated.
SQ308 Golem Trophy (Golem Trophy) - Quest reward given to Geralt at the end of the Chapter 3 quest "The Secrets of Loc Muinne," if the Golem is destroyed.

Kindo - where did you pick up the data changes from?
I saw no changes in def_item_swordsteel.xml or def_item_armor.xml

Anyway, I'm playing through on Dark now - I'll watch out for them.

I'll look for those items. I'm at Act II (Iorveth's path), Dark mode. Currently, I'm hunting for harpies so that I can craft the dark set (which is a lot less painful with Dragonbird's awsome price reduction mod, thanks for that Dragonbird!), but I will be progressing again shortly.

dragonbird said:
Kindo - where did you pick up the data changes from?
I saw no changes in def_item_swordsteel.xml or def_item_armor.xml

Anyway, I'm playing through on Dark now - I'll watch out for them.
It's probably only for the swords; at least compared to the files I had before (which were based on the 2.0 vanilla files), the swords now reference a unique mesh (equip_template) and a different scabbard. Thanks for keeping an eye out for them as you play.

dragonbird said:
I'll look for those items. I'm at Act II (Iorveth's path), Dark mode. Currently, I'm hunting for harpies so that I can craft the dark set (which is a lot less painful with Dragonbird's awsome price reduction mod, thanks for that Dragonbird!), but I will be progressing again shortly.
Thanks!

Kindo said:
It's probably only for the swords; at least compared to the files I had before (which were based on the 2.0 vanilla files), the swords now reference a unique mesh (equip_template) and a different scabbard. Thanks for keeping an eye out for them as you play.

OK. My reason for querying is out of concern that I may have missed something with my own mods, as this is the first time I've had to do an update.

But I'm looking now at the first of the steel swords you mentioned, Assassin's blade, in def_item_swordsteel and the EE one is identical to my October 2011 extraction, which would have been 2.0, I think. The equip_template is steel_26_jagged and the scabbard is scabbard_steel

So are you seeing this variation from a different file, or is there some problem with my extraction? (I use QuickBMS rather than the Gibbed tools)

Kindo said:
No problem, I enjoy helping wherever I can. ;)
Also, I might start a new game after finishig my current one, so that I can try to find that new equipment I can't now.

Just an observation: There are no new crafting diagrams in Vergen's shops, so I have to look further.

dragonbird said:
OK. My reason for querying is out of concern that I may have missed something with my own mods, as this is the first time I've had to do an update.

But I'm looking now at the first of the steel swords you mentioned, Assassin's blade, in def_item_swordsteel and the EE one is identical to my October 2011 extraction, which would have been 2.0, I think. The equip_template is steel_26_jagged and the scabbard is scabbard_steel

So are you seeing this variation from a different file, or is there some problem with my extraction? (I use QuickBMS rather than the Gibbed tools)
Sorry for being so vague, I'll try to list the exact swords this is regarding. I'm comparing the new files with the ones I extracted from version 2.0, and yes, I use Gibbed. I notice now, going through these, that there are a few more swords aside from those listed in my first post. Anyway:

STEEL SWORDS (New equip_template and scabbard)
Beannshie
Archeus
Dancing Blade
*Princess Xenthia's Sword
*Ceremonial Ellanderen Longsword
*High Quality Nilfgaardian Essences Sword
(*These are quest-related, judging by their tags, so I assume the first is used for the A2 poker reward, and the last two for the new A3 quests.)

SILVER SWORDS (New equip_template)
Phantom Edge
Ichaer Aardanna
Marag Bator

dragonbird said:
No problem, I enjoy helping wherever I can. ;)
Also, I might start a new game after finishig my current one, so that I can try to find that new equipment I can't now.

Just an observation: There are no new crafting diagrams in Vergen's shops, so I have to look further.
Yes, it's interesting if these are all new random loot rewards, somewhere. I can't find it now, but someone posted a topic the other day about having found Marag Bator in Act 1, for example, but that's so weird, as it is an Act 3 sword (incredibly powerful).

I skimmed through the new shop lists, looking for obvious new additions, but didn't find anything. :/

I can confirm the existence of Princess Xenthia's Sword, it is really a poker reward in Act II from Skalen Burdon, but just since 2.0, before that, it was only possible to get a rusty sword from him.
And it might be possible that some of them are random, I even remember reading something like this in the patch notes...here it is:
4. New, randomly dispersed swords have been added.
That might be one of the reasons some swords don't have quest tags, and also for the no new additions (at least regarding these swords) to the shop lists.

DeargRuadhri said:
I can confirm the existence of Princess Xenthia's Sword, it is really a poker reward in Act II from Skalen Burdon, but just since 2.0, before that, it was only possible to get a rusty sword from him.
Good. :)

DeargRuadhri said:
And it might be possible that some of them are random, I even remember reading something like this in the patch notes...here it is:
4. New, randomly dispersed swords have been added.
That might be one of the reasons some swords don't have quest tags, and also for the no new additions (at least regarding these swords) to the shop lists.
Ah! I totally forgot about that patch note. It's still a bit weird that most of these new swords are all powerful enough to contend with the A3 equipment; the end of the game is crammed full with equipment overload as it is. Weirder still that there is a chance to find them as early as Act 1. Long ago, I heard reports of people finding the diagram for an Act 3 armour - Dearg Ruadhri, if I'm not mistaken! - in the Nekker cave in Act 1. Something is amiss with the loot tables, methinks.

It might be a developer oversight, as this makes the game utterly unbalanced (okay, Dark sets do that too, but at least you have to craft them), and I don't think some kind of reason can be found in the loot tables (maybe a dev error or it might have been intended that way) as the player can get an Act III armour or weapon in Act I or there is a chance the player won't even see them the whole game! Balancing out these items might be the hardest to do, because of the random chances.It also might be a good idea, so overpowered items won't drop just in the Act they should, to disable the drop chance until the Act they should be in, of course, only if this can be done.
Oh, and methinks youthinks it good. ;) (Okay, I stop destroying the English language. :) )

If you will be successfull in finding/extracting or creating mods with this items please post some link in my topic. I have found just Dancing blade in enhanced edition (crown withness quest -the caves)and still searching others.

Hmm I found the lost Vran sword (steel) and Aen something-or-other (silver) in Act III, in the tower after you start the new side-quest on Iorveth's path. Can't recall the correct names and I just uninstalled the game so I can't look, but just a heads up for those who are looking for new swords :>

(EDIT: Upon looking up the Wiki, the Vran sword looks a looot like the one you can get from Dethmold's safe - might even be the same thing, only obtainable on Iorveth's path. For the record, I found it in a room that can be unlocked by casting signs on some crystals.)

silverhead83 said:
If you will be successfull in finding/extracting or creating mods with this items please post some link in my topic. I have found just Dancing blade in enhanced edition and still searching others.
Adding these weapons to a store shouldn't be difficult, but I'm mainly interested in hearing where people find these, normally, if at all. I could make a mini-mod where I make these available at the Mysterious Merchant, for example, if you want to check them out for whatever reason. Later. :)

silverhead83 said:
Hmm I found the lost Vran sword (steel) and Aen something-or-other (silver) in Act III, in the tower after you start the new side-quest on Iorveth's path. Can't recall the correct names and I just uninstalled the game so I can't look, but just a heads up for those who are looking for new swords :>

(EDIT: Upon looking up the Wiki, the Vran sword looks a looot like the one you can get from Dethmold's safe - might even be the same thing, only obtainable on Iorveth's path. For the record, I found it in a room that can be unlocked by casting signs on some crystals.)
Nice that they've made it possible to get that sword even on Iorveth's path. I don't know what that silver sword you found might be. Was it possible Ichaer Aardanna, or something like that?

Kindo said:
Nice that they've made it possible to get that sword even on Iorveth's path. I don't know what that silver sword you found might be. Was it possible Ichaer Aardanna, or something like that?
I... am not sure anymore. But here's where I found it: when you go through sewers with Cynthia, after the mini-room with flowers and mushrooms and such colourful stuff, there is a body of a Nilfgaardian knight (I think I recall him wearing black armour). It was on him. So anyone who has a save nearby can check it out. It's a pretty powerful silver sword, I have to say.

Yeah. Now you can get his sword in Iorveth path (in Vrans tower)if you solve the riddle with singing stones(Aard and Igni will do)and kil the Guardian after. Kindo - if you can please do.Misterious merchant for example. All fans will be more than gratefull.

Gynvael Aedd is an old sword, though, but thanks for keeping an eye out. One way or another, we should be able to figure out where all these new weapons appear!

I'll get cracking on making that mini-mod - could be fun to look up the swords in-game.

I'm re-downloading the game rn so I'll tell you when it's finished. At least you can find that sword instead of buying it?

I'm nearing Act III in my Dark mode run, I'll keep you updated if I find something new.
Edit: This might not happen, as that certain wheel decided to laugh at the laws of physics, and got stuck in the wall during the siege. :(

Alright, the mod has been done. I feel a bit silly for not doing this to begin with, as looking at the items in the shop allows you to at least see which items are not "complete" and therefore not likely to be found lying around anywhere. Simply doing that, I can tell right away that many of the items I listed are just place-holders, and have incomplete entries. I'll attach the mini-mod to this post, for those of you who want to take a look, yourselves; it adds all the "new" items to the Mysterious Merchant (all acts), so make sure you have that DLC enabled before trying it out. As I suspected, many resource names carry completely different in-game names. I'll try to list what I've found so far. Entries marked with a * are "broken" in one way or another (missing tooltip icon, equip_template, price or what have you) and therefore unlikely to actually be in the game. Also, some of these names are amusing when you compare resource to in-game names...

• RESOURCE / IN-GAME
  • Armor of Craag Ros / Craag Ross Armor
  • Vestement of Devoted One / Blessed Armor
  • Shroud of Baelor / Tir Tochair Armor
  • Wild Hunt Hauberk / Wild Hunt Armor*
  • Armor of Erlenwald / Erlenwald Armor*
  • Cregennan Armor / Armor of Lod*
  • Armor of Drieschot / Armor of Drieschot*
  • Wild Hunt Treads / Wild Hunt Riding Boots*
  • Dragonbreath Sabatons / Basilisk Boots
  • Plane Walkers / Seven-Furlong Boots
  • Lion Spider Boots / Lionhead Spider Boots
  • Wild Hunt Clutches / Wild Hunt Gauntlets*
  • Master Dualist Gloves / Duelist's Gauntlets
  • Gloves of the Monk / Myrmidon's Gauntlets
  • Mongoose Gloves / Mongoose Gauntlets
  • Wild Hunt Legguards / Wild Hunt Trousers*
  • Sentinel Legguards / Vanguard Trousers
  • Abyssal Leggins / Halfling Pattern Trousers
  • Rogues Trousers / Gnomish Pattern Trousers
  • Titans Hand / Blame
  • Shadow Sword / Shadow
  • Abomination Slayer / Reformer
  • Demise of the Cursed / Bride
  • Eclipse / Eclipse
  • Hags Bane / The Good Shepherd
  • Marag Bator / Marag Bator
  • Ichaer Aardanna / Ichaer Aardanna
  • Phantom Edge / Wight
  • Assassins Blade / Judge
  • Surger / Barber-Surgeon
  • Viroleda Longsword / Viroledan Longsword
  • Decapitator / Head-Taker
  • Guardian / Groom
  • Basilisk / Basilisk
  • Dancing Blade / Dancer
  • Archeus / Devil
  • Beannshie / Beann'shie
  • High Quality Nilfgaardian Essenced Sword / Encrusted Nilfgaardian Lawgiver
  • Ceremonial Ellanderen Longsword / Ceremonial Ellandrian Sword
  • Princess Xenthia Sword / Princess Xenthia's Sword

Click here to download the mini-mod. Extract the def_shops.xml file into your The Witcher 2\CookedPC\items folder.

Top Bottom