How many copies will be sold within 2 days after release?

+
How many copies will be sold within 2 days after release?

How many physical copies and digital copies in the world do you think will be sold within the first two days after the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? If you count with pre-orders too!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim sold 3.4 million phsycial copies within two days of the game's launch.

So just for fun, I will say..
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will sell 6 million copies (physical and digital) within two days of the game's launch.
What do you guess?

It's interesting to see gamers discussing sales, numbers sold, and so on. I guess I was brought up at a simpler time when none of that mattered really.

To the topic, I honestly don't know. At least a million I reckon.

At least two. Don't know what all you guys are doing but I have my copy pre-ordered ~ and also the code to apply for a code from NVIDIA. I probably should do something about that...

Haha I like speculation and I strongly believe I"m right for saying the Witcher 3 will sell more than 1 copies within 2 days release...

Oh yeah! I believe I'm right on this one :thumbsup:

Depends when the reviews come in..if we get a couple of very high reviews (9+) from multiple sites before release date..the game will most probably sell 2-3 million in the first days.

Not that I care (and none should), but it will be less than that.

ES:V is a stand-out game, with no real relation to any lore, it does not rely on the story at all, and it appeals on 14 year olds who just buy it in order to run around in cool looking graphics and kill stuff. It is also a PG-13.

Witcher has none of the above. It's the final game of a trilogy, it's a strong story driven game, it's strictly R rated, and I think running around killing stuff will not be viable (even now with open world).

Not that I care (and none should), but it will be less than that.

ES:V is a stand-out game, with no real relation to any lore, it does not rely on the story at all, and it appeals on 14 year olds who just buy it in order to run around in cool looking graphics and kill stuff. It is also a PG-13.

Witcher has none of the above. It's the final game of a trilogy, it's a strong story driven game, it's strictly R rated, and I think running around killing stuff will not be viable (even now with open world).
You can run around in The Witcher 3 and kill stuff, and there are naked ladies.
Grand Theft Auto V is PG-18+, still there is a lot of 14 year old playing that game, right.
So I'm not sure about your logic there.

How many physical copies and digital copies in the world do you think will be sold within the first two days after the release of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? If you count with pre-orders too!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim sold 3.4 million phsycial copies within two days of the game's launch.

So just for fun, I will say..
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will sell 6 million copies (physical and digital) within two days of the game's launch.
What do you guess?

6 million in the first two weeks? I hope that CDPR sees that type of success since they damn well deserve it, but I doubt it.

World wide digital+retail, I would say ~1-2 million. I doubt its going to put up Skyrim or even Mass effect numbers just because Bethseda had been cultivating a console audience since the Xbox days. Skyrim also launched in 2011 when there were ~100million PS3s and Xbox 360s out there.

Witcher and CDPR doesn't have that type of name recognition on consoles and the consoles themselves have only sold ~30million units combined.

Guessing from an optimistic point of view: more than 2 million copies

If the reviews gonna be all more than 90 than maybe 3 million.

I think it's really hard to estimate sales for W3. To the point where I suspect even CDPR has trouble in this regard. Sure they have the preorder numbers, so that helps. But beyond that, W3 is a very different beast to the previous games.
- Simultaneous release on 3 biggest platforms.
- Current gen (yes, I realize there is more last gen units out there, but the craving for a thoroughly current gen title makes up for that, IMO).
- Ads on TV.
- Featuring in a Conan show.
- Stage appearance on Microsoft's E3 conference.
- Being hailed by the previews as a "Skyrim killer".
If, on top of that we add the high score reviews which I think are quite likely. Getting sales in excess of 2M from preorders alone is not unrealistic.

EDIT:

And let's not forget Witcher has been winnig "most anticipated" awards for both 2014 and 2015 that's gotta mean something ;)

Last edited:
You know how many people will buy the Witcher 3?

That's a lot of copies ;)

I think 2-3 million is an optimistic count. In the long run, I expect 5-7 million, the same as any other successful AAA title.

Dragon Age Inquisition, the last big AAA RPG, sold about 1,15 million units worldwide on its first week. Now it's standing on a total of 3,37 million acording to vgchartz
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=dragon+age:+inquisition

Skyrim on the other hand sold 3,4 million on the first two days (physical) and sent about 7 million to retailers on the first week. Now it's sales stands close to 20 million units (or 18,17 million acording to Vgchartz).

Beating Skyrim is almost impossible. It was launched for a big variety of plataforms and Bethesda with their Elder Scrools games have more years and more fans on the game scene. But, I think it is very possible to pass Dragon Age Inquisition numbers. For some motives:
The WItcher 3 will have modding support and is a open world game. This will get the attention from a great variety of people, inclueded DA, Skyrim and other RPG fan bases.
Second, it's been called as a Skyrim killer. It will (it's getting) the curiosity of gamers, even non rpg ones. Also, the fact that it's also been called as Game of Thrones equivalent, will help get gamers and non gamers attention.
Third, Bioware had the problems with Mass Effect 3 (cough, the ending, cough) which were quite a negative press for them. CD Projekt RED has the Free DLCs and Non DRM policy to their favor.

I think we can think of number of 2 million on the first weeks and maybe 4 million with some months, worldwide, but we can also expect bigger numbers. As you see, The Witcher Series sold 7 million units worldwide since 2007. With we estimate that 1/10 that Skyrim players will buy The Witcher 3, we have 1,8 million players. Doing a very rough math, we have an estimate public of 8,8 million players.
Ths without considering non Witcher or non Skyrim players (or even if more than 1/10 of Skyrim players decide to buy the game). But, as a word of caution, it's a very rough estimate. We can't say that we have 8,8 million unique players. But it's the best I can do with the data at hand.

I resume, we can safely bet a 1-2 million on the first weeks and 3 to 4 million on the following months (worldwide, physical and digital). But the numbers can arrive at more than 8 million. It has this potential.

Now all we can do is wait and hope for the best

Top Bottom