I just cannot... (no exact B&W spoilers please!)

+
I just cannot... (no exact B&W spoilers please!)

I've recently started playing The Blood and Wine DLC. Did a few quests, explored the map a tad, admired the landscapes, fought some monsters etc. All in one, I'm really enjoying it, the new spirit it has brought and the new setting, the chivalry utopia, the tradition chimaera, the extravagant architecture, but I feel I just cannot push forward. I'm stuck. I guess I'm too nostalgic, suffering from an incurable fit of melancholy. I miss so many things. What I'm saying, I don't give a damn about things, I'm missing people. The people I'd acquainted myself with, the people that had been close to me through all my adventures. They're all gone. I just cannot come to terms with their absence. I was wandering through those exquisite, very refined streets and alleys of Beauclair, when suddenly a boy came to me with a letter. It was from a friend... But, oh, what a friend! It was from Yennefer! I recalled her incomparable wit right away, her joyous acrimony and her subtle irony, her unmistakable style. As I read through the content, it was revealed to me that her intentions went far beyond that of a mere friend, and yet, she did only sign it like that. Suddenly, I felt powerless, drained of any energy. I was alone, in this fancy, ever-bright, quite opulent city. I was alone. Where were all my friends? My acquaintances, those that I'd met in the past and that had been close to me in all my adventures? Their absence was insupportable.

I then leafed through my completed quests, when I stumbled upon the last one, ''Something ends, something begins'' (if I'm not mistaken), and upon Dandelion's conclusion: ''My story began in White Orchard, with Geralt dreaming of Yennefer'' (I quote from memory), and this, cumulated with the afore-mentioned letter, has left absolutely smitten, dumbfounded, flabbergasted, a total victim, with no power whatsoever, completely unable to react. I was shackled to these memories... all of a sudden, I saw it all, the dream, the view from Kaer Morhen, the snowy mountains, my first trip with Vesemir, the fight at the inn, the incredibly emotional reunion with Yenn, the awkward confrontation with Emhyr, the pursuit of Dandelion when he was in danger, the relentless search for Ciri, the help I gave Cerys in order for her to become a queen over Skellige Isles, the quest with Triss when I helped her to accomplish the great escape of mages from Novigrad, The Last Wish with Yenn in that ship on top of a mountain, all, all!!
Then, returning to Beauclair, everything seemed lifeless, devoid of soul. Where were they? My friends, my comrades, even my old enemies to whom I've taken a fancy? I felt so empty...

Will I ever meet them again here? I'm soooo melancholic that I think I'll die of longing if I come across something else related to Yenn. Should I start again on NG+ after I finish B&W? I've never tried it, as this was my first playthrough, and many consequences of other choices are still unknown to me... But, just as important, will I ever come across someone known from the past here (no exact spoilers please!) in Toussaint?

You just may be surprised at the end. I know I was!

I've finished, and now I'm back in Velen hitting all the little towns working the notice boards I left alone until the very end. Maybe I'll run into some old acquaintances - we shall see.

Good luck and keep on going. Blood and wine is very good.

Good day!
DrDetroit

B&W made me remember the days from W1, Archespores, Kikimores, Giant Centipedes...Oh, good days. But keep playing, I loved B&W, it was a shame that they never fully explored the characters.

Yeah i feel you. I missed all the characters in the 2 Expansion packs, enough so that i didn't even do Hearts of Stone for weeks after i did BaW because i had no interest in meeting new characters. I missed Ciri,Yen the most. Then the other sorceresses, zolton, dandelion. Just didn't feel the same. But i got my good ending at the end of BaW :>

Yeah i feel you. I missed all the characters in the 2 Expansion packs, enough so that i didn't even do Hearts of Stone for weeks after i did BaW because i had no interest in meeting new characters. I missed Ciri,Yen the most. Then the other sorceresses, zolton, dandelion. Just didn't feel the same. But i got my good ending at the end of BaW :>

You right but we have Regis in Blood and Wine! I love him so much, he basically made an expansion for me. My favorite four for now is Geralt, Yennefer, Ciri and Regis. However I would like for Yennefer to have an opportunity to thanks Regis - he save her life after all.

Last edited:
... It was from a friend... But, oh, what a friend! It was from Yennefer! I recalled her incomparable wit right away, her joyous acrimony and her subtle irony, her unmistakable style. As I read through the content, it was revealed to me that her intentions went far beyond that of a mere friend, and yet, she did only sign it like that. Suddenly, I felt powerless, drained of any energy....'

I think she signed it as a friend as one of her spiky jokes - as that's how Geralt had signed his letter to her earlier. It doesn't mean she is 'only' a friend IMO.
'....I was shackled to these memories... all of a sudden, I saw it all, the dream, the view from Kaer Morhen, the snowy mountains, my first trip with Vesemir, the fight at the inn, the incredibly emotional reunion with Yenn, the awkward confrontation with Emhyr, the pursuit of Dandelion when he was in danger, the relentless search for Ciri, the help I gave Cerys in order for her to become a queen over Skellige Isles, the quest with Triss when I helped her to accomplish the great escape of mages from Novigrad, The Last Wish with Yenn in that ship on top of a mountain, all, all!!
I completely sympathise with you - the characters all seemed so real that it is sad when they aren't around. It is off-putting that you can still (for example) visit Dandelion in the Chameleon after the end of the game, but can't really have a conversation. As for Kaer Morhen - that is like a ghost town and fills me with 'saudade' (I can't think of an appropriate English word). But I am drawn back there from time to time.

Funny cause I have a quite different feeling about this game. That your're alone most of the time, accompanied by different characters on those few quests. You have that one big love with Triss or Yennefer and yet they're with you for a short time, unlike Mass Effect where you almost always had company, and then you could meet your "guys" back on the ship.

Funny cause I have a quite different feeling about this game. That your're alone most of the time, accompanied by different characters on those few quests. You have that one big love with Triss or Yennefer and yet they're with you for a short time, unlike Mass Effect where you almost always had company, and then you could meet your "guys" back on the ship.
Well, the Witcher's path is mainly a solo one - whereas on a space ship you are part of a crew. But during his long life Geralt has bonded with a number of diverse individuals, and I loved the way TW3 would make them appear and he'd be greeted as an old friend by someone you as the player didn't know at all.

Well, the Witcher's path is mainly a solo one - whereas on a space ship you are part of a crew. But during his long life Geralt has bonded with a number of diverse individuals, and I loved the way TW3 would make them appear and he'd be greeted as an old friend by someone you as the player didn't know at all.

I'm not saying it's badly made, no it's made very well, like for example loved the talks with Dijkstra, guy made me laugh. But I have a feeling of insufficiency, there's not enough, too much slaying monsters. What I love Mass Effect for is not the main story, but it's mostly because of the interactions with your crew.

I'm not saying it's badly made, no it's made very well, like for example loved the talks with Dijkstra, guy made me laugh. But I have a feeling of insufficiency, there's not enough, too much slaying monsters. What I love Mass Effect for is not the main story, but it's mostly because of the interactions with your crew.

It's a different game, different story, different mechanics.

It worked for mass effect, but a partner mechanic like that would NOT work for the withcher. You need to lear to appreciate each game in it's own specific purpose.

Feeling the same way though:/ I wish B&W would've included those character's. It is almost heartbreaking. I just realized on finishing the main story for a second time getting the Ciri as a witcher ending that the journal entry ends with Dandelion saying something like 'and where did those two go off to dear reader...that is a story for another time...' I honestly wished Dandelion, Zoltan, Ciri(if you picked her as a witcher) and Triss(who I picked) would've actually came along for this adventure but maybe there's some weight to that journal entry, though it's doubtful since they said B&W is all we're getting. Actually I liked HOS because it brought back Shani, who was fairly involved with the quests and main story of that too, from the first witcher and HOS isn't the ending like B&W is anyways.

B&W is indeed incredible in some ways, the atmosphere and the city of beauclair is top notch(from what I've seen and played so far) but I agree it's missing that last part. I think it's a bit unfair to us to start and go on a completely new adventure with a whole bunch of new character's to meet when this is Geralt's last game, without including those familiar character's who are close to Geralt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom