Imlerith boss fight is ridiculously hard

+
The thing I dont get is almost all enemies in ths game have some sort of ai that enables them to dodge and counter attack, use ranged attacks or melee.
Imlerith and to a less annoying extent Eredin and Caranthir all have pre programmed patterns that kick into play once you've taken enough health off them regardless of what your strategy is.
Of course the big bad guys should be much harder than anyone else, but this was just a lazy way to go about it.
This fight is basically a more interactive QTE -wait for this, go here, press this button.
Not a challenge of skill and strategy, but timing and patience.
Disapointing

Yeah, I used the Griffin gear that gives you a sign intensity and stamina bonus. That helped me keep a shield going. You have to get the rhythm of his teleports. If you roll away at certain angles, you can evade every swing. He will get tired and you can roll back in for big sword slash. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to beat him every time. It just takes a little while to get the timing of how to dodge.

This is the third time I fought and killed Imlerith. And all the time, I used Wraith Decoction, Imlerith then was an easy opponent as long as you know how to dodge, and if there is an accidental hit, the Wraith Decoction should instantly cast a Quen to you.

It's tough when you first play it but once you learn his patterns he becomes ridiculously easy to beat. But then the whole thing is a conundrum for developers because how do you make a mortal boss a challenging fight for someone used to killing Vampires and Elephant sized monsters? By rights Geralt shouldn't even break a sweat killing these fellas.

I had used only one point in the alchemy tree, so perhaps for that reason I found the use of Ekkimmara decognition and others largely useless. It was more useful to eat two pieces of raw meat I had. The first part of the battle was easy. I used igni to take the frost shield off him, rolled behind him and quickly hit him twice.

On the second part I died about ten times before beating him. I rolled around the battlefield until his mace got stuck on the ground. Then with quen active I rolled right next to him and kept hitting him with fast strikes until he hit me for the first time. Then retreated, and rolled around some more. When his mace got stuck again. I reactivated quen and repeated the whole thing.

I have not yet finished the game, but I do think this fight was one of the toughest ones so far.

Last edited:
My tatctic is to constantly being close to him, then he stays in your visible area and you can actually dodge easier. Of course, a combination of safe roll + dodging is needed according to camera angles. Quen is used to heal if needed.

In any way this fight needs you to practise.

"Imlerith boss fight is ridiculously hard"

True, but also it's the only actually challenging boss fight in the entire game.
So I love it. Even when I have the best witcher gear, oil, decoctions, potions and OP talent build he is still a worthy enemy!
More like this in B&W please.

"Imlerith boss fight is ridiculously hard"

True, but also it's the only actually challenging boss fight in the entire game.
So I love it. Even when I have the best witcher gear, oil, decoctions, potions and OP talent build he is still a worthy enemy!
More like this in B&W please.

There are tougher fights in HoS IMO, i agree that he's the toughest by far in the base game though especially on NG+ DM where i had to switch to an alchemy build to beat him. :lol: Where quite frankly it became quite easy then but alchemy makes everything easy in the game if you are paying attention and set up correctly.

That was a funny fight. With easy difficulty he was peace of cake for me, in broken bones he was absolute nightmare and in NG+ death march he was again very easy. It's weird how things change in every play through.

My current playthrough unfortunately turned this fight into a cakewalk. I've modded the game to remove the nerf that Yrden got so it was scaled to 53% or so - nothing gamebreaking though.

With Magic Trap (alt Yrden) and the runewright skill of Enchantment (when Yrden hits an enemy, an Yrden glyph appears where they are), I took over 2/3 of his health off without ever having to hit him. A shame really, I'd been looking forward to the fight!

:thinking:

I am level 19
I have Viper silver sword * level 1*
My gear isn't really useful either lol, since I never really put attention to it.

Yes first time I play Witcher and yes I played immediately on Death March because I love hard games and hate wuss difficulties.

But In his second phase I can't beat him... I can dodge him for like 3 minutes with attacks ofc. but after that I lose my muscle memory.

He slashes 3x teleport i roll/dodge
he slashes 3x again teleport i dodge
He slashes 1 big time and get stuck i attack him with one heavy attack.

and repeat till i lose muscle memory and screw up...

Also noticed when u dodge sooner he slashes less more which is frustrating.

So since i can't get back to town for potions etc, i'm stuck...

I have got him in a glitch my second try where he just stood still and did nothing, one attack at time ( no combo ) would keep him in glitch.
But somehow i did combo and he snaps out of glitch.

I better had abused that glitch -_-

Any tips?

Skipping phase 2 doesn't work anymore with Yrden

Use Quen, Quen, Quen and one more time Quen and then even more Quen when he starts teleporting. Keep it active all the time as just possible. Roll away, be patient and hit only when he's stuck and then roll/Quen/roll/Quen... until you win.

Hang on - lvl 19? Can you even get to this fight with such a low level? I mean - you need lvl 24 (I think) for entering the Isle of Mists, and you definitely need a higher lvl to do the battle at Kaer Morhen O_O
If it's a typo: use Quen a lot. He also doesn't like Igni too much, if I remember correctly. And try to hit him from behind - he's more vulnerable because he doesn't have a shield on his back whereas when you attack him at the front, he has that big shield that you'll have to hack through first before causing any damage.
Also, if you have another silver sword with you that has better stats: switch swords. Also, you can use the elemental oil. And, if you have it: ekhidna decoction. Great for fights.

you need to be higher level to fight Imlerith, use light armor and royal owl to increase energy regeneration, you need Quen the whole time, and dodge, roll, and attackafter his attacks,, use bombs, oils, signs

eh, I just rend him into submission. The fast rend is ridiculous, no stamina cost, unblockable, stagger, faster than strong attack, deal damage in a cone in front of Geralt, trivializes every boss fight.

Also, don't you have Fleet footed or something? with those iframes during quick dodge it's pretty hard to get hit by any single opponent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom