In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand:
Baaaaah me and my opinions!
I trust they are listening to some of the feedback, but I also trust they * know * what they're doing.

Snowflakez;n10894041 said:
As much as I would hate for the game to be FPP only, I agree with you here.

Mike, as the creator of the CP franchise, most likely will not care so long as CDPR makes a damn good video game that stays true to his vision of what the CP world is. Whether the game is FPP or not is likely not up to Mike, and even if it was, he would probably take a hands off approach and leave the video game design to the video game designers (not that Mike doesn't know anything about video game design - he worked on them for quite a while at one point).

Of course, I'm sure he has an opinion on the subject, as most people do. I'm sure that if he were to hop into the game, he would probably have a preference. But that's probably just a personal taste thing and less "you need XYZ perspective to stay true to the CP franchise."

Oh I know that CDPR are kinda free with it, just that Mike stated quite often that he was approached a lot over the last decades since CP2020 release to make a game, Rpg / FPS, etc... and time proved that it never really interested him so found no interest into giving his licence "like that", he sounds very cautious and tacky about it (to the point thathis opinion matters into the fact he'll let you make a Cyberpunk game or not), that's why I'm quite confident about the fact it'll be very close to his depiction of "what it should feels and look like", given how many big heads he gave a big "NO" to (including Sony with a big budget and all).
And doing a FPS with fast action etc... doesn't really sounds like what he'd be interested.

Now, maybe the game is indeed in FPP and I'm quite sure even there it'll be pretty good (given all the work put into it), by the time it keeps the "feel" of the original game, I'm just not sure about how easily they could adapt stuff from the pnp into it at first person (fighting mecanics, vehicules etc...) so it flows well with everything else.

Last edited:
Maelcom404;n10894551 said:
Oh I know that CDPR are kinda free with it, just that Mike stated quite often that he was approached a lot over the last decades since CP2020 release to make a game, Rpg / FPS, etc... and time proved that it never really interested him so found no interest into giving his licence "like that", he sounds very cautious and tacky about it (to the point thathis opinion matters into the fact he'll let you make a Cyberpunk game or not), that's why I'm quite confident about the fact it'll be very close to his depiction of "what it should feels and look like", given how many big heads he gave a big "NO" to (including Sony with a big budget and all).
And doing a FPS with fast action etc... doesn't really sounds like what he'd be interested.

Now, maybe the game is indeed in FPP and I'm quite sure even there it'll be pretty good (given all the work put into it), by the time it keeps the "feel" of the original game, I'm just not sure about how easily they could adapt stuff from the pnp into it at first person (fighting mecanics, vehicules etc...) so it flows well with everything else.

I agree completely. I also think Mike would probably prefer an RPG with TPP. Just playing devil's advocate. :)

Snowflakez;n10894591 said:
I agree completely. I also think Mike would probably prefer an RPG with TPP. Just playing devil's advocate. :)

WELL I'M PRETTY SURE..he'd like a nice tea. Outside, that maybe some truly immersive full spectrum VR Cyberpunk?

Sardukhar;n10894631 said:
WELL I'M PRETTY SURE..he'd like a nice tea. Outside, that maybe some truly immersive full spectrum VR Cyberpunk?

So long as this hypothetical VR version finally figured out motion sickness, I'm all for it. You tried that Blade Runner VR demo? Pretty awesome.

Sardukhar;n10894631 said:

Here's how we know we've lost Sard in the matrix.

Snowflakez;n10894671 said:
So long as this hypothetical VR version finally figured out motion sickness, I'm all for it. You tried that Blade Runner VR demo? Pretty awesome.

Nah, no gameplay. I think the fix for you motion sickness people is a pur...properly installed chipjack. Yep. Not a purge. That'd be wroooooong.

Garrison72;n10894751 said:
Here's how we know we've lost Sard in the matrix.

Lost..or found? IN GLORY.

Maelcom404;n10894551 said:

As opposed to doing fast paced TPS? If they intended for the game to have a really dynamic combat, the game is gonna have dynamic combat, no matter what perspective it's going to have,

Shavod;n10895121 said:
As opposed to doing fast paced TPS? If they intended for the game to have a really dynamic combat, the game is gonna have dynamic combat, no matter what perspective it's going to have,

FPS/TPS =/ RPG. That's the main takeaway here.

You can blend the two, sure. But they are not the same.

No Title

Ik found something I had screen shot awhile back lol. ....long long ago. It was a some presentation CDPR was making which regards to projects they were working on. Namely Tw3 and cyberpunk. When I heard news lately about cyberpunk being a FPP game, I was kinda reminded of this screen shot. Back then I was more interested in TW3 and since there was so little info on cyberpunk at the time I never payed attention to it

But if you look rite at the bottom of the cyberpunk section it mentions a mix of player perspective. So I think this has been their intention all along, with regards to the player view. Think I screen shot this sometime in 2013 or early 2014

Attachments

• photo209611.jpg
    photo209611.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
The main problem was the phrasing used in the article, rather than say FPP they said FPS, which is a particular genre that calls to mind games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, not games like Deus Ex or New Vegas. Verbiage is important.

Meccanical;n10907761 said:
The main problem was the phrasing used in the article, rather than say FPP they said FPS, which is a particular genre that calls to mind games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, not games like Deus Ex or New Vegas. Verbiage is important.

As I've said in the past, many outlets view the terms as identical. They do not distinguish between the two. FPP = FPS to them, and it's not hard to see why. Even Skyrim has been called an "FPS" or "TPS" before, and when I was younger, I referred to games like Morrowind as offering TPS and FPS perspectives as well.

So, I'd say the verbiage in this specific case is actually not that important.

FPP just means the perspective. FPS is a gameplay function.

Call of Duty is just as much FPP as Myst. New Vegas is just as much an FPS as Battlefield or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. where first person shooting is concerned (being more feature rich elsewhere doesn't contradict that), and there's a lot of it.

If the notion is that it's FPP but not FPS, then it needs to not work like Battlefield or New Vegas with its combat, or have combat in such low numbers that it can't become a definining factor. Or, that's how I see the logic there.

kofeiiniturpa;n10908091 said:
FPP just means the perspective. FPS is a gameplay function.

Call of Duty is just as much FPP as Myst. New Vegas is just as much an FPS as Battlefield or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. where first person shooting is concerned (being more feature rich elsewhere doesn't contradict that), and there's a lot of it.

If the notion is that it's FPP but not FPS, then it needs to not work like Battlefield or New Vegas with its combat, or have combat in such low numbers that it can't become a definining factor. Or, that's how I see the logic there.

Oh, I totally agree.

I'm just saying most news outlets don't recognize the difference, so if an outlet said "the game will be an FPS" after CDPR has already said -- on numerous occasions, mind you -- that it will be an RPG (how much of an RPG remains to be seen, but we can be sure it won't be a "full" FPS) I wouldn't take it to heart too much. They probably just meant FPP, and even then, their credibility is certainly in question.

That said, it's very possible and even likely that the game will be closer to a New Vegas than, say, a Pillars of Eternity.

To that end, I don't really agree that a game like New Vegas is strictly an FPS. The combat can be FPS, sure, we'll agree there. But it's also an "action RPG" (I know, I know... dirty word). There has to be a third distinction for games that don't fit full the full "RPG" category yet also don't quite fit the full FPS category. There's no denying New Vegas and Battlefield are wildly different experiences.

Snowflakez;n10908341 said:
To that end, I don't really agree that a game like New Vegas is strictly an FPS.

Not strictly, no. But it works heavily like one where and when it matters, is all.

There has to be a third distinction for games that don't fit full the full "RPG" category yet also don't quite fit the full FPS category.

Yeah, the "aRPG" is there. I'm just saying that if you make a side by side combat gameplay comparison of, say, New Vegas and Serious Sam (one being an aRPG and the other as FPS as they come, and a fun one at that I might add), they aren't that different and as such fit with the same category.

That said, it's very possible and even likely that the game will be closer to a New Vegas than, say, a Pillars of Eternity.

I'm pretty sure it won't be anywhere near PoE in how it works.

There's no denying New Vegas and Battlefield are wildly different experiences.

As are Serious Sam and Battlefield.

The point is merely to demonstrate the similiarity in design and the intended action experience.

Anyways... This is all just winding my gums out of boredom.

Last edited:
kofeiiniturpa;n10908541 said:
Not strictly, no. But it works heavily like one where and when it matters, is all.

Yeah, the "aRPG" is there. I'm just saying that if you make a side by side combat gameplay comparison of, say, New Vegas and Serious Sam (one being an aRPG and the other as FPS as they come, and a fun one at that I might add), they aren't that different and as such fit with the same category.

I'm pretty sure it won't be anywhere near PoE in how it works.

As are Serious Sam and Battlefield.

The point is merely to demonstrate the similiarity in design and the intended action experience.

Anyways... This is all just winding my gums out of boredom.

Wind away. You're one of my favorite people to argue/discuss things with.

You make some good points, too. As far as combat goes, it's tough to deny the similarities between Fallout NV, Fallout 4 and, say, Battlefield. Or I guess more appropriately, something like Stalker (a post apocalyptic FPS).

Unfortunately, as you've brought up all too often, because Bethesda/Obsidian tries to appeal to both crowds, both sides of the game suffer. The combat never feels quite as good as a full FPS and the RPG mechanics are never as in-depth as something like PoE or Baldur's Gate or even a more modern RPG like KCD. I still get a lot of enjoyment out of the games for what they are, but yeah.

Meccanical;n10907761 said:
Keep in mind you're talking about journalists here. In spite of how they prefer to be perceived 90% of them have no clue what they're talking about and intentionally use click-bait terms.

Yes ... some are respectable ... just like I'm sure some lawyers and politicians are ...

Garrison72;n1279126 said:
3rd person. Melee doesn't work well in first person, it just doesn't. And we know we're getting melee.

I respectfully dissagree. There are tons of FPS games with a very good close combat, like Dead Island, Prey (the new one), BioShock, etc.

linoano;n10911141 said:
I respectfully dissagree. There are tons of FPS games with a very good close combat, like Dead Island, Prey (the new one), BioShock, etc.

Sure. TPS just handles it better.

By the same token, plenty of TPS games handle shooting very well, but FPS games tend to handle it better.

Snowflakez;n10911661 said:
Sure. TPS just handles it better.

By the same token, plenty of TPS games handle shooting very well, but FPS games tend to handle it better.

Depends what you mean by "very well". I would say that there are no TPS games that handle it very well and a couple that do okay.

Same for melee..although Kingdom Come Deliverance is making me a believer in First Person melee.

Anyway, yeah. As much as I enjoyed the combat in Watch Dogs, for example, it couldn't really hold a candle to games like FEAR or STALKER or Counterstrike in terms of adrenalin-inducing quarter-second decision making vidya game shoot combat.

Hell, the ability to safely look around corners alone changes the entire dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom