In game character Perspective!

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this is not a sign of the end for First Person Perspective, other than in certain shooters? Not too long ago, FPP was the view of choice. Now, in the post-GoW and Uncharted years, it seems TPP is where people are comfortable.

Kind of interesting, since much of what these games do is try to immerse you in their world, and FPP is the closest simulation of that...is it too close, perhaps?
Do players prefer a little remove?

I've always considered FPP perspective distracting in RPG's because it [imo] undermines the difference, the detaching, between player and the character. I find it easier to "immerse" into the world/story in third person, because it's not me in the world/story.

TPP without question for me, FPP is the main reason as to why I'm against purchasing Deus Ex : HR. I'm disillusioned by that perspective to the point it's annoying.

I wonder if this is not a sign of the end for First Person Perspective, other than in certain shooters? Not too long ago, FPP was the view of choice. Now, in the post-GoW and Uncharted years, it seems TPP is where people are comfortable.

Kind of interesting, since much of what these games do is try to immerse you in their world, and FPP is the closest simulation of that...is it too close, perhaps?

Nah. FPS isn't going anywhere. There are several new FPS titles coming out, several of the existing titles are getting sequels, and there are several fresh FPS' out there right now.

Sure, RPGs will most likely stick to third person, although games such as the Fallout series, the TES series and Deus Ex, all three of which are very strong RPG's, work fine as first person, or are first person.

There are many franchises out there which have already made their mark, and will most likely never lose the first person view. Franchises such as Doom, Quake, Half-Life (as well as Counter-Strike), Unreal, Far Cry, Crysis, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Halo, AvP, and so on. Even games like BioShock, Dead Space and ArmA (or DayZ). I'm sure I'm missing a few big names. In any case, all of those games are still alive and kicking, and may bring sequels out, and in fact some of them are bringing sequels out this year.

Also, Dust 514 is the new sibling for EVE, which is a first of it's kind; an FPS - not a third person game - which is completely integrated into a point and click MMO.

There's nothing anywhere that would suggest the FPS genre would be going anywhere any time soon.

I play Skyrim in 3rd person because it's better immersion for me. I'm in a fantasy world where dragons live,I kill them, I craft an armor from dragons bones. To fully feel it I need to see my character wearing it. Thats how it works for me.

I think that a person has the right to choose what he plays and how he plays it...so to me personally the best choice is both. If i play an immersive game that gives me a choice to socialize then 3rd person perspective is great, but when ther's a firefight - then i belive the best choice is first person perspective.
PS that is solely my opinion:D

I play Skyrim in 3rd person because it's better immersion for me. I'm in fantasy world where dragons live, so I craft an armor from dragons bones. To fully feel it I need to see my character wearing it. Thats how it works for me.
Also as much as I love Deus Ex, camera kept switching from 1st to 3rd person all the time. That was freaking annoying. I felt like someone forced them to make FPP in that game. Jenson looks freaking cool holding a handgun.. but no! game wont allow me to play in 3rd person :(

Immersion.. is important, not everyone enjoyed Max Payne 3 (i loved it) but those bullet wounds, blood on your jacket, really make you feel and care about Max not dying and keeping your character alive.. This is what 3rd person perspective is about.

Honestly I can't believe this is even an issue. Of course it's gotta be third person. We're getting the ability to customize our own character. What's the point if we can't see him while playing? Third person is the way to go.

Honestly I can't believe this is even an issue. Of course it's gotta be third person. We're getting the ability to customize our own character. What's the point if we can't see him while playing? Third person is the way to go.

The thing is that many people also want first person option. And this is reasonable, i for example consider first person in game with shooting mechanic way better from gameplay standpoint. Why not have both?

The thing is that many people also want first person option. And this is reasonable, i for example consider first person in game with shooting mechanic way better from gameplay standpoint. Why not have both?

Because then you have to make all features in such way that they will work fine in both perspectives. Because of this often you have to make some compromises because some solutions works great in TPP, but works terrible in FPP. You may have two mediocre perspectives or one great.

Well if I were to refer to Bethesda's games I'd say third person is next to worthless and first person is merely serviceable. I want one view done right, and given that we'll be engaging in melee among other non-shooting activities, third person is the way to go. I also feel it's time a developer really innovate with TP shooter gameplay as the staple for years has been cloning Gears of War style. CDPR is creative enough to try something different.

As an aside for everyone that may have missed it, CDPR stated they haven't decided between TP or FP yet, so it's still up in the air.

If the game plays anything like I imagined, I don't think either first person or third person will work exclusively. Especially with the style over substance thing, you'll need to show some things in third person, while stuff like shooting or even some of the optics would work better in first person.

Shooting from first person using a crosshair instead of a scope or iron sights is a kind of a concession to begin with; I do know most FPS games only use crosshair, or crosshair and scope, and it's the minority that have iron sights. However, that's how a gun is supposed to be fired. You're supposed to feel like you're behind the gun when bullets fly.

Shooting manually from third person is just ridiculous to me. If it was point and click, and you'd order your character to fire his weapon, then sure, but if it's you moving the crosshair, I just can't get over the disconnect. Then again, when I'm playing third person, I don't feel like it's me who's in the game anyway. It feels like I'm watching some random dude or dudette move around while I'm hovering behind the character.

I don't know if it's my countless hours spent looking through the first person view, or what.

In an adventure game, an RPG game, like ME for example, it's fine. It's point and click. I point to an enemy and Shepard rips it to pieces. I can understand that. I'm not Shepard. If it's me behind the gun though, my self-made character I mean, I want to be the one shooting.

As such, if it's going to be strictly third person, then I hope they do away with any real life skill -based aiming altogether, and make it a fully point and click system, as well as give us a ready-made protagonist whose story we are following, and not our own. Then I can understand watching the events unfold from behind the shoulder or above the head of the guy or girl.

I wish I could just abandon the awesomeness that is the first person view, but I've played way too many awesome FPS' to do that. Thus I can't but hope it's both views. Clearly I'm not alone though, since over 47% of the people who answered would like to see the first person view implemented either as the only option, or as a choice. That's almost half, and I know at least a few answered third person before the "both"-option was added.

Almost half sounds to me like we need both options.

It should be a isometric perspective with the ability to zoom into combat. Like Fallout or xcom.
...I actually wouldn't mind an isometric perspective, but I don't think that's the direction they're intending to go.

Also, I don't think I've ever heard of an isometric sandbox game before. None that leap to mind, at any rate.

I like the idea having both and switching back and forth similar to Elder Scrolls. I usually like RPGs to be in FPP when I'm doing certain things, other times I want it to be in TPP.

I prefer TPV to FPV, but I am not against FPV at all. I enjoyed playing playing Skyrim in FPV, but what I did not like about it was the TPV. The camera angle was wrong, especially compared to where the cursor was, and made it feel unintuitive playing in TPV. So, if it wants to include both like the Elder Scrolls games, that's fine, but do not model the camera angles like in the Elder Scrolls games.

I do know most FPS games only use crosshair, or crosshair and scope, and it's the minority that have iron sights. However, that's how a gun is supposed to be fired. You're supposed to feel like you're behind the gun when bullets fly.
Then again, when I'm playing third person, I don't feel like it's me who's in the game anyway. It feels like I'm watching some random dude or dudette move around while I'm hovering behind the character.

Almost half sounds to me like we need both options.

I am with you, C. WAY too much time spent playing great FPS means I cannot get into TPS. I loved Witcher 1 and 2, but I was IN Deus Ex 1 and HR.

Seeing my character from time to time is fine - but I'm not that great an egotist visually. Like seeing myself IRL, once in awhile is more than enough. And, yes, in real life I do look badass.

So I'd happily trade TPP for FPP just so I can look down the iron sights of my Malorian Arms 666 after that frakking Inquisitor EMPed my smartgun to offline mode. And then shoot him right in his masky face.

First person is fine but for this game I'd probably prefer 3rd person where you can pull camera pretty far away. Great game is possible with either so it's a minor wiggle at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom